“I almost hate to share the secret!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Halvorson House Villa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Halvorson House Villa Resort
You added Halvorson House Villa Resort to your Saves list
Bennett's Harbor | General Delivery, Cat Island   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Cat Island
“I almost hate to share the secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

As much as I'd like to keep this amazing place "my secret getaway," I have to share:

If you want a comfortable place on a beautiful beach, with peace and solitude, this is it.

If you want a place that serves 3 home-cooked meals a day so you don't have to leave, this is it.

If you want a homebase on with snorkels and bikes for exploring, this is it.

If you want to become part of a warm, fun and loving family, this is it.

Thanks you, Matt, Sooner, Stella, Maddie and the menagerie for a perfect vacation. We can't wait to come back!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sooner H, Owner at Halvorson House Villa Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We kind of would like to keep it our own little secret too but then we wouldn't get to meet all the amazing people who find us in this hidden eutopia called Cat Island. We so enjoyed having you as a part of our family and we can't wait for your return. thank you for the thoughtful review and sharing your secret!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had the opportunity recently to go to Cat Island and fortunately for me, I as at Halvorson House Villa Resort. First Matt and Sooner is at the airport to pick you up and Welcome you; this is never seen by a hotel owner. As I arrived at the resort I was AMAZED and SPEECHLESS!!! This hidden treasure (resort) is unlike any I have ever seen. The villas are phenomenal with everything you need, they are clean and spacious, and two steps from the villa is the most astonishing beach I have ever seen. All I wanted to do is Eat, Swim and Sleep, and let me say I at this resort you can do these and be happy. Swimming in the warm incredible beach or sleeping on powder sand on the beach was worth the trip. Halvorson Resort is quiet and you get personal attention from this family. I spoke with another family that I met at the resort and they concurred that this is the BEST RESORT they have ever stayed at. Matt and Sooner treats everyone like you are a part of their family! ANYTHING that you need they will assist you with. They even take you on tours of the island while teaching you the history of the island. I had one regret about my experience while at Halvorson House and that was, I had to go back home. I WISH I COULD STAY THERE FOREVER! It’s hard to explain how wonderful this experience was; this is one of those things you must experience for yourself. Matt and Sooner you will definitely see me again and your beautiful resort!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sooner H, Manager at Halvorson House Villa Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
couldn't have said it better myself! Your excitement is contagious. After reading your review We stepped outside and took a deep breath and went "this place IS Totally awesome!" We hope you will make many more trips to Cat Island and spend some time enjoying! All our best to you And thanks for the lovely review!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Every other hotel we stayed at during our trip I gave a 3 star review to. I am not a person who puts 5 stars unless I really mean it.

The houses are huge. Ours had two bedrooms and two living areas (these can be split to separate families but they upgraded us for free since it was not reserved). The quality of the beds and bedding is very, very comfortable, and all the furniture and decorations really make you feel at home. The bathrooms and showers are very comfortable. The water temperature was great throughout our stay.

They have many playthings which are free to use, including kayaks. The Halvorsons have set this place up so that it’s more like you’re a guest in their family home than at a hotel. Dinner is served in the main house. The house itself included a coffee pot with mugs and sugars, and coffee was provided as well. There were plenty of towels. There were inflatable life vests for the kids which made me feel safer about them kayaking. Cat Island is completely desolate and remote. There was nowhere to go and I LOVED it. There is a kids club where guests kids and the Halvorsons' kids mingle and play with plenty of art, dvds, and toys.

The restaurant has a wonderful cook who is from Jamaica and very friendly. The one place that seemed walking distance was a restaurant called Yardie's. I would highly recommend it. Also, the Halvorsons took everyone on a trip to a local restaurant with a live band one night at no extra charge. They have clearly made friends with the locals and worked hard to become involved in their community.

The only down side to visiting the Bahamas in general was sand flies. They’re called sand flies, but they seem more like fleas to me in their size and appearance. Apparently people who live near these become immune to them, but bug spray has no effect on the little fellas and we were getting pretty covered in itchy bites by our fifth day. If I go back I will definitely be looking into what kind of spray might repel them. However we were not really affected until about our third night.

This place was an unbelievable value for the money. If you ate every meal at the main house, food would be about $50 per person per day, room tax was 16% so if you had two people, with all meals it would be under $200 a day for a nice house on the most beautiful remote beach you have ever seen--even half the house we had would have been worth more than that. I would definitely consider going back and recommending to friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wow right back at cha! What a thoughtful review! We really enjoyed having your delightful family stay with us. All of the conversation was amazing and we really enjoyed all the time we spent with you. Take care and our family sends all our best to yours! We hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The best beach vacation....ever. Wonderful location, great hosts, great food, very kid-friendly. All the activities you would want. If you are looking for a laid back beach vacation in a great location you should check this place out.

Room Tip: All the cottages are in the same area, and right on the water. There are no "bad' choices.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We had such a great time with you all! We are looking forward to seeing you again! Thanks for the very kind review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

My family just returned from a 10 day trip to Cat Island and the wonderful HHVR. I cannot stress enough just how remote you are while you are there! It was simply phenomenal to loose yourself with no television or news of the outside world. internet service was very spotty at the main house at HHVR, so you could fire off a few emails if you choose.
Our 4 year old son had the most amazing adventure, exploring the beaches, ruins, and shipwrecks of cat island. He also fell head over heels for the lovely Halvorson girls ! If you have kids....bring them !!! Now! This place is a kids wonderland ! There is something for everyone... For my wife , she loved the peace and quiet and the big library of books to read while relaxing in the ocean breeze . For me, spearfishing for lobster, beach combing, a generally being a beach bum was right up my speed.
We wish the Halvorson family the very bet of luck! We cannot wait to return soon!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
OK, what can we say besides YOU GUYS ROCKED!!!! We had such a kick in the pants time with you and we are so looking forward to the next time you all come out. We'll plan something BIG!!! Yes, BIIIGGG!!!! Mattie says so:)
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The setting is superb - a huge almost deserted bay; soft white sand; crystal clear turquoise sea; lovely peaceful walks along the beach in either direction; west facing with beautiful sunsets; and not forgetting the amazing star filled night sky with the milky way clearly visible.

Kayaks, paddle boards, snorkel gear, etc. are available to guests free of charge.

The villas are very rustic but comfortable enough for the little time that we spent indoors, however, both bathrooms in our villa would benefit from refurbishment. High quality bed linen and lovely soft bath and beach towels.

Food is available at the main house - breakfast, lunch and dinner. The highlights during our stay were the freshly caught lobster and the delicious cheese cake made by the adorable Stella. Free daily climbing displays provided by the equally adorable Mattie :-)) If you fancy a change then there are a couple of places within easy waking distance that both serve excellent lunches.

A great place to relax and chill out and escape the winter back home!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your suggestion regarding the bathrooms. The guest stayed in Sea Turtle, it's the center villa along the beach. Both bathrooms have only interior walls (no exterior windows (which is wonderful if you require excellent privacy.) We are in the process of installing better ventilation units and believe this will eliminate the concerns this guest had.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I decided I needed a little sun, sand and sea to celebrate by bday and was looking for an easy trip from NYC, warm, beautiful not touristy. After some research and great tripadvisor reviews I ended up at the Halvorson House on Cat Island -- I couldn't have made a better decision.

Sooner and Matt are amazing hosts! From picking me up at the airport or pointing out good snorkel spots to making amazing dinners and chatting about the island they made me feel cared for. There was even a surprise birthday cake made on my birthday which was the just the day after I arrived, how wonderfully sweet is that!?!?

I was just there for a few days and wanted to relax and enjoy the beach and explore near by on foot or bike. The warm soft sand, cristal clear water, tons of fish and coral seen when snorkeling made for a great day. Having a cold Kalik while laying in the hammock watching the sunset, enjoying yummy dinner with other guests and then laying on the sand looking at all of the stars made for a great evening. It was simply perfect.

Thank you so much Matt & Sooner for a great birthday, I am already looking forward to returning again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We feel so fortunate that we got to be your hosts for your birthday escape. It was such a delight to have you here and are hoping you may come for your birthday again next year! You choose the flavor of cake next time and the champagne is on us! Thank you for your kind review! We sincerely appreciate your support and encouragement.

Been to Halvorson House Villa Resort? Share your experiences!