“Shannas Cove” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shannas Cove Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Shannas Cove Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Shanna Bay, Orange Creek, Cat Island   |
Ranked #1 of 13 hotels in Cat Island
Charlotte
“Shannas Cove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Shanna's Cove is pure paradise! I wanted to share this wonderful experience in the Bahamas, this is the first time I've ever posted anything on my travels. Frank, Gabi and staff are the best! We have done the Caribbean Sandals routine for the past 4 years and wanted something different. The search took over a month attempting to find the most relaxing, secluded, clean resort in the Bahamas and we found it for sure. The beach is unbelievable, white/soft sand, incredible shells, many miles of private beach walks, Kayaking, fishing and so much more.

The food is great and the service is out of this world. We met and established relationships with other guest from all over the world..Sweden, Oregon, Germany, Minnesota, Philippines, Trinidad.

Bottom line, we had the best vacation ever and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This resort is perfection personified. My mother and I spent four nights at Shanna's, looking to do absolutely nothing but sleep, eat and enjoy the sea. We did exactly that.

The food was exquisite; Frank made what was probably the best steak I've ever eaten and the pizza really is as good as has been mentioned. We are born and bred islanders and have never eaten fruit as fresh as we did at Shanna's. The beaches must be seen to be believed, though at this time of year, it was a bit colder than we had bargained for. The hike to Man-o-War is about 45 minutes but worth it!

Mally, Anthonese and Tara are exceptionally hardworking and pleasant additions to the Shanna's experience. Anthonese, who tends to the rooms, picks fresh flowers from the property's garden each morning to put in the vases. Frank and Gabi truly desire that you have an enjoyable vacation. In addition to being fine hosts, they are pseudo-tour guides and are willing to accommodate you in discovering more of the island (whether it be shelling, diving, or joining locals in pre-election festivities as we did).

If you're the type who can revel in opening curtains every morning to take in the simplicity of Caribbean beauty, you are going to love this place!

Room Tip: We were in Dolphin and loved it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I recently had the great pleasure of spending some time with Frank and Gabi Wolff, the highly professional hosts/owners of Shannas Cove. The resort was sold out, but my wife and I had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner, at a very pleasingly reasonable price, and it was close to perfection. It may have been perfect, but I want to go back again, so i will write a 2nd review to keep us all in some suspense (it was rock solid). I am coming up on 40 reviews, and almost always write a few "critiques to help the reader and the hosts", BUT they are so well tuned with their food and their guests that this is not required here. Thanks Frank & Gabi - you left a memorable impression on us! Best regards, Peter & Bari.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

It was exactly the utopian setting that I had hoped for! The food was delicious, the service was outstanding, and the setting was superb. I was a little concerned about going to such a romantic and beautiful setting on my own but everyone made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

Frank and Gabi have really created a piece of heaven here. They are gracious hosts and very hard working resort owners. They pay great attention to detail and to the needs of all of their guests. Patrick's cooking skills were impeccable. Every meal was a gourmet feast for the eyes and the palette - a real adventure awaits you each time. The portions were very generous as well. I have since made my own Panna Cotta, after being inspired by your delicious dessert, Patrick. Tara and Mali went out of their way to care for me too. It was great visiting with both of you and I especially loved the tour of the Island (absolutely incredible - thank you again, Tara).

The bungalow was beautiful and very clean! I loved the shower, the bed, the fresh cut flowers, and the views from my window/front porch. The fresh coffee/milk in the room was another nice touch. I awoke every morning to beautiful scents, sights, and sounds - ocean waves, tropical flowers, and island songbirds. I enjoyed having a coffee on the porch before heading up to the main house for breakfast.

The beaches were gorgeous - no crowds, no pollution of any kind (noise, land, or air), miles of interesting walks. The snorkelling and swimming were outstanding - the clear, turquoise blue is beautiful! The bat caves, boat ride, and hikes through the forests were incredible. I loved the karaoke night (fantastic to sing and dance again!!!) and the birthday party for Gabi at the Rake and Scrape was great fun. Thank you for including all of us in your celebration.

I made many new friends on Cat Island and shared some great experiences. You will not be disappointed! Be sure to check out the gift shop before you leave - they have many lovely, local, handmade items available for purchase at decent prices.

Cat Island is a beautiful place with many, beautiful people. The only downside to my trip was that I had to leave paradise and face reality again. I look forward to returning to Cat Island sometime soon. THANK YOU AGAIN, EVERYONE!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Shannas Cove Resort for 6 nights in March. It was *exactly* the vacation we were hoping for! This is the place for you if you enjoy a tropical vacation that is remote, secluded and very low-key. The owners Frank and Gabi truly have created a magical, unique place, based on their own years of travel experiences. Frank was away in Germany when we were there, but we had the pleasure of getting to know Gabi over the course of the trip. From the first moment she picks you up from the airport, you are treated like family - she took us straight to Grammy's bar for a seaside "welcome" Kalik. The perfect entree to our relaxing stay!

We stayed in the Turtle bungalow - the closest one to the ocean. All the bungalows are located up on a hill with an ocean view and and just a few steps away from the white, sandy beach (by way of a little stoney walkway.) The bungalows are beautiful and contemporary in their interior. Beautiful spa-style showers. Comfortable, king sized beds.

The restaurant was a dream! Totally opposite of the large "all inclusive" style resort experience. I am a vegetarian and Gabi and her amazing chef Patrick were so flexible and accommodating for me - never made me feel like I was a pain in the butt! The food was fresh and delicious. Every morning was a breakfast of french press coffee, fresh fruit, cold meats and cheeses, home made breads, sliced tomatoes and then, any additional thing you wanted (eggs, etc.) You must try their famous pizza for lunch. This pizza is so amazing that people literally fly in to the island on their private planes *expressly* to get one of Gabi's pizzas at lunchtime! Dinners were always three courses and absolutely fabulous - in taste and in presentation. Like works of art! And you never felt like you were gorging on terrible "vacation" food that you felt guilty about. All high quality, healthy, well-composed dishes. Perfect for foodies like us!

My husband and I both agree that it was a very "do it yourself" style trip, too, which added to the relaxed feel. You want to kayak around the island? There's a kayak on the beach. Take it out if you'd like. Very autonomous feel - none of that annoying "follow the group leader!" type of thing. Bartender away from the bar? Grab what you'd like and write it down on your tab. This sort of vibe really contributed to the family feel of the whole thing - but we never felt like we "had to" socialize with anyone we didn't want to - like a trapped bed and breakfast nightmare. Totally opposite.

Finally, I can't end this review without raving about her staff. Tara - her smile and spirit are absolutely contagious! From the first moment she meets you, she makes you feel like she's known you for years. Molly is so sweet and always has a smile, herself! Patrick was an absolute joy to get to know - what a talented young chef and friendly individual. And then of course, the inimitable Gabi - with her quick quips that leave you with a belly-laugh and her incredible skill at managing this entire resort. She gives the impression that everything is under control, totally laid back, "no worries", but underneath, you know she is a master at coordinating it all to make it look like a piece of cake.

Would we go back again? Absolutely! Only thing we would change? Stay longer. :)

Room Tip: -Bring your own toiletries (but they do have a hair dryer) -Make sure you have cash before you arri...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chatham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

My wife and I found Shanna's Cove on TripAdvisor last fall, looking for a first trip after I retired at the end of Feb 2012. We arrived on Cat Island on Feb 24th and stayed for 16 days, which I believe is the longest any guest has ever stayed at this property. We loved every minute of it, so where to start?
Owners - Gabi and Frank built this property a few years back after successful careers in sales in Germany. They are an amazing couple, wonderful hosts, so fun to be with, wonderful cooks and pay attention to the smallest of details.
Rooms - there are 5 separate bungalows on the property, all with amazing views of the sea, are spotlessly clean and perfectly furnished with comfortable beds.
Food - Gabi and her staff offer all fresh ingredients for all three meals during the day....dinners are always a hightlight..wonderful quality, good wines at reasonable prices to select from and served by Gabi and her staff...Tara is one of their prize employees and her smile is hard to miss!
Beaches - we have been to many beaches over the years, and in fact we live on Cape Cod, MA, so we know our beaches. The beaches at Cat Island are the most remote, pristine and beautiful we have ever seen. You can walk for hours and never see another soul, or footprint! Snorkeling is great as well.
Rake and Scrape - Gabi and Frank will certainly bring you for a night of music and dancing at Da Smoke Pot run by Julien,Renee and their two boys. Rake and Scrape is a local music made with a carpenter saw, accordian and drum....the locals, especially Julien's friends Lynn and Money bring it to life...just too fun...you have to try it.
Summary - it is unusal to find a place with all 5 stars on this site and being a skeptic, I was curious to visit and see for my self. BELIEVE THESE REVIEWS, THIS PLACE IS ABSOLUTLEY WONDERFUL. We have already booked again for next year.

Room Tip: all the bungalows are wonderful...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was the kind of place that you hate to leave, think about often and can't wait to come back to! Very relaxed atmosphere, excellent dining and wine choices and miles of deserted beaches. The bungalows were clean and comfortable. My favourite day was when we hiked to the Man o War beach. It was so isolated and breathtakingly beautiful that it inspired us to renew our vows!

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shannas Cove Resort? Share your experiences!