“True Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pigeon Cay Beach Club

You added Pigeon Cay Beach Club to your Saves list
Pigeon Cay Beach Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pigeon Cay | General Delivery to Arhurs Town, Cat Island   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Cat Island
“True Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I spent the week of 7/18 -7/25 2014 at PCBC, and it was everything I'd been hoping for. At the risk of being redundant, the beach is breathtaking: crystal-clear water, and the softest sand I've ever touched. We stayed in the Windsor, one of the 1-bedroom houses. It was lovely, but when we go back, we would probably choose another house, because the living room furniture in the Windsor isn't great for lounging. But the view was incredible, and we spent a lot of time at the table on the patio.

Ned, the owner, prepared dinner two nights, and both meals were delicious. Ned will let you know as soon as you get there which nights he'll probably be cooking, and make sure that works with your schedule. He'll make sure you're set up to get to the grocery store, and will have a car ready for you at your convenience.

If you've read the other reviews, you've read about the "no-see-ums", so let me just say: take them seriously!! I, unfortunately, am one of those people that they seem to love to bite around the clock. Take PLENTY of 100% DEET (I ordered mine on Amazon), and use it!! They're so tiny, they can actually get inside the mesh of a screen, so if you're one of those people they love to bite, you're going to need the DEET. But for plenty of other people, they're not a problem at all.

We basically stayed at the resort most of the trip. We ventured out for dinner one night, to what is supposed to be one of the nicest places to eat on the Island, but honestly, we weren't impressed (which is why the restaurant will remain nameless). We enjoyed our dinners at the beach club, and the dinners we cooked for ourselves, much more. We also drove around the island and saw some beautiful scenery, and had a delicious lunch of conch and jerk chicken at a wonderful little place. But otherwise, there was no place more perfect than right where we were staying!

If you need to truly relax and de-stress, you're not going to find a more perfect place than this lovely resort on this lovely island.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you read the other reviews this one will sound redundant, but that speaks to the obvious consistent experience you will have at PCBC. We were greeted right out of the cab by Leslie (and Daisey and Hopper - the sweetest dogs). Immediately escorted to cottage, I stayed in The Winston, and invited to settle in and take a relaxing dip in the water before dinner. The accommodations are basic but more than adequate and comfortable. Everything is incredibly clean and in its place. Plenty of towels (beach and bath) as well as basic amenities (and lots of body lotion in case you enjoy too much sun). There are windows all around the cottage and the breeze off the water and the sound of the waves creates a tranquil back drop to a comforting first impression.

The grounds are immaculately kept. You are just steps from the porch to the water. There are no words to describe the beaches and the water. The sand is beautiful white and powdery (not gritty like some Caribbean beaches). You just sink in! Looking over the water, there are 3 shades of blue contrasted by the blue sky above. Crystal clear and inviting. Walking into the gentle waves, the stress and tension just melt away.

On the beach you will find lounge chairs, hammocks (I think I wore one out as this was my favorite spot), kayaks, and water boards. Also on the property you can grab any kind of water gear you need. Things I never took advantage of but are available include a library and closet full of games.

Dinner was wonderful. Since I went in beginning of off season (I was there June 21-28, 2014) meals are not available every meal. You can expect dinner your first and last evenings and probably some in between depending on bookings and guest preferences. Leslie made me a delicious breakfast one morning but the others I just had yogurt in the cottage that I picked up on run to grocery store. Early in your stay, you will need to take the car and run up to Orange Creek Inn and Store (about 20 minutes north) to stock up on what you might need for your stay. There are a couple of stores within biking distance for a light load, but check first to see if they are open. Expect island prices but selection at Orange Creek, while not extensive, was impressive. You will want to experience the local eating spots as well. Not everything is open all the time, so you have to check ahead, but Ned and Leslie can help you with those. One night, all the folks at PCBC split a cab and went to Da Smoke Pot and enjoyed authentic Cat Island fare (Leslie arranged everything for us). Also one evening Leslie took our orders and arranged for Yardie's to bring us dinner. There is a tendency to be anxious at first about the meals, but don't be. Trust Ned and Leslie and visit with them, you will be taken care of.

One day I took one of the bicycles, available free to the guests, and biked over to the Atlantic side to snorkel. The waters are beautiful, more rocky cliffs but same great sand. Another day I used Ned and Leslie's car and took about a half day trip (charged me about $40) to the south part of the island. If you are in Bight, be sure and eat at The Bluebird (she was serving chicken and lamb the day I was there and it melted in my mouth). Also you have to take the hike up to The Hermitage (probably the one touristy thing on the island). Be sure to check out the cave Fr. Jerome lived in that is off the little path and down the hill behind the structure. The main road (only one running length of island) is an asphalt shlalom course with many pot holes and side roads are rock and sand. Only disappointment on the island is trash on roadside (they obviously like their beer here). But the people are so friendly and helpful.
You don't really need to rent a car if you are just going to make runs to store or lunch. And you probably wouldn't need car for more than day even if you were going to explore all the island. If you want to rent one for the day, Leslie and Ned can arrange it for you. You will find everything, even the drinks at the honor bar, reasonably priced at PCBC. Housekeeping is provided and they are wonderful and friendly ladies.

As others have noted a unique creature here is called the no-see-em (like a little gnat). They are out about an hour after dawn and hour or so at dusk. I felt them bite but never left a mark on me. A few mosquitoes but not bad. Take some full strength DEET to wear at these times and you should be ok. Others were using baby oil effectively.

Ned and Leslie actually left for their vacation in the middle of the week but left us in the most capable hands of their friends Lee and Michael. Lee went above and beyond to take care of us (and I fell in love with her dog Jay who is my new buddy).

If you are looking for adventure this is not the island for you. If you want quiet and best place to relax, this is paradise. I came back from this trip the most relaxed mentally, physically and spiritually than I have EVER felt in my entire life. It felt like home and family. This will definitely be my place of rest and respite in the future. Five stars and Five Hearts!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms, except Garden rooms, overlook the beach and right on water. A couple are 1BR/1B others h...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We spent a fantastic week here. The beach that reveals itself as you walk up the stairs to the houses is breathtaking. White sand, bright green ocean, blue skies. Ned is a really relaxed guy and after he shows you your little house it won't take you 30 minutes to feel at home. Leslie is a really nice, caring personality whom we immediately liked a lot. The houses are well-equipped (I especially liked to water dispenser with the cool water, the little grill, the abundance of towels). There is attention to details in every house and you keep discovering them for days. Then there is comfortable bar with the wonderful view. If you just want to relax and do not need much activities you couldn't find a better place in the whole world.
f you want any activity be prepared that you will need a car. Fortunately Ned has one for you. It's an old one but the island has only one paved road with lots of holes, so believe me you would not want a Ferrari here. The locals are extremely nice. This island is not a fancy tourist center. Be prepared to live village life. You will have to follow some no-nonsense rules, e.g. not having food left out on the table in a tropical environment. There are bugs early morning and at sunset. There would be on almost any tropical island without chemicals in the soil. Go out, shop for you food, eat at the conch stands, enjoy your time, find activities. For timeless beauty and relaxation stay at Pigeon Cay Club.
Dora and Karoly

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Durham, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

i just returned from a family trip to pigeon cay, and it could not have been more perfect! ned & leslie were amazing hosts. friendly people, amazing food, kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boarding, perfect views, and the beach all to our selves....perfect!

Room Tip: i didnt see a bad room here
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I would give Pigeon Cay 4.5 stars if that was an option, but I can't. Cat Island is not really an island for activities and exploration. If your plan is simply to lay on the beach and unwind, though, then Cat Island and Pigeon Cay may be a great destination.

The owners (Ned and Leslie) have done a wonderful job creating a private retreat separated from everything except a few vacation homes. The beach is lovely and is a great place to swim, but the ocean off of Pigeon Cay does not lend itself to particularly good snorkeling or wave activities. Ned and Leslie are happy to give recommendations of other beaches (Sammy T's has an excellent one), though, and complimentary bikes are available to make the trip. Kayaks, bikes, paddle boards, books, games, drinks (for a fee) are all available to grab throughout the day, which makes Pigeon Cay feel like home. (My only recommendation would be for a few lawn games to play on the sprawling lawn in front of the bungalows.) Check-in took about 60 seconds as Ned escorted us to our bungalow, and otherwise guests are left alone (in a good way; the owners are happy to answer questions if they arise). Everything other reviewers said about Pigeon Cay being a great place to de-stress and get away is completely true, so I won't rehash that too much.

Be aware that Pigeon Cay truly is isolated, so a trip to the supermarket is necessary early in the trip. Ned and Leslie rent out a car by either the hour or the day to drive to one of the stores. I recommend driving to New Bight on the first day because the Hermitage is an interesting little stop a couple minutes from town, and the store in New Bight has the largest selection of food. The owners will recommend a few restaurants, but these are again a bike or car ride away.

The reason for the slightly lower rating is that various costs at Pigeon Cay were occasionally unclear. Ned and Leslie try not to overwhelm their guests with information, and many people may not want to discuss prices much while on vacation, but I would like to know the costs of activities up front. For instance, I was led to a more expensive bungalow than I requested, but I wasn't even aware of this until I saw the bill upon check-out. Ned said he thought we would have preferred the larger one that we stayed in, but I was never given the choice. Ned and Leslie also cooked dinner twice during the week (good dinners), but these were effectively mandatory dinners with unclear prices. I recall now that we also got breakfast one morning and that wasn't on the bill, so I suppose it goes both ways. I learned at check-out that the airfare credit special this summer is also a straight $300 for two people rather than the actual cost of the flights to Cat Island ($330) As a couple on a budget, this was frustrating for us. Overall the value of the stay was good, though.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

5 days in this beautiful place and the rest of the world melted away. We felt at home immediately, thanks to the genuine kindness of our hosts and the incredible location. I don't know how they do it, but they manage to make you feel pampered while giving you a lot of privacy. The house we stayed in was great, very spacious and nicely decorated. Of course you are in a tropical area, so beware of bugs if you leave food outside, but it has to be said the cleaning ladies do a great job. Speaking of bugs, sand flies (or "no-see-em" as they call them) are a nuisance at sunset, but a good tip I was given is baby oil. Yup, works better than chemicals, and your skin will feel so soft too ;)
The location: 15 minutes from Arthur's Town, 30 from New Bight, both tiny little towns. You can rent a car, but honestly the beach at the club is so beautiful we never felt like going anywhere else. We had to push ourselves to go out or we would never have seen the rest of the island. You can rent the owner's car by the hour, which is great for grocery trips. They do cook breakfast and dinner, but not everyday, you have to ask. Don't miss the dinners, not only is it delicious, but it's right on the beach, and it's a great way to meet the rest of the guests. And did I mention the honour bar? What a great concept.
As I said, the beach is beautiful, quite big too. The hotel only has a few cabanas so you're basically alone. The water is pristine, completely transparent with that turquoise tone that I still dream about. I don't know if I'll be able to swim anywhere else now ;)
There are bikes and kayaks at your disposal. It's apparently a good spot for bonefishing (I actually saw a bonefish on the beach one day, interesting beast). And there is snorkelling nearby, as well as other areas of the island, with turtles, rays, etc.
Which brings me to the treasure hunt: on our way to the snorkel spot, I had a little incident (damn you, sea sickness!) and lost my waterproof camera. Next time I know to attach a buoy to it. Anyway, now it's at the bottom of the sea, and as it was our last day we never found it again. The water is so transparent I have no doubt it would be easy to find (it's red). Shouldn't be too deep either, about 3 metres I'd say. So, if you're in search of an adventure while you're there, take a kayak out towards the old church (Leslie will tell you), and about 100 metres out from the rock point before the snorkel beach, it should be there (not far from 2 big underwater rock formations). If you find it the camera is yours, it should still be functional. It's more the photos inside I would like to get back. Please contact me if you get lucky.
In conclusion: it is one of the best places I've ever stayed in. It's like you step in a time bubble, where worries and stress just disappear. It's the ideal place to find yourself, alone, as a couple or as a family. Or just to enjoy the sun and the beach. And I guarantee you will enjoy it :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Malta, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I didn't realize how stressed and over-busy I was until I spent a week at Pigeon Cay. Between the lulling sound of the sea and wind through the trees and the relaxed attitudes of the hosts, the place was as soothing as a constant massage. In my week's stay, I read 6 books, took 6 naps, and never once wore shoes. I never heard a tv or a radio and never saw a newspaper. Now, that's my idea of a restful vacation.

Room Tip: The bungalows are each unique and amazingly cute. Don't worry at all about that.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Pigeon Cay Beach Club? Share your experiences!