“Absolutely Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Andros
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Tiamo Resort leaving a little less than a week ago. It was absolutely amazing. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. The rooms quiet and comfortable. The grounds were kept very clean. I will definitely return to Tiamo. The level of service and the seclusion from the rest of the world make it well worth their price point.

Room Tip: We chose a room with AC. Although it was a little cool the first two days we were there, I can see...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just spent two nights here with my wife. If you want an island paradise, it is hard to imagine a better place. Very intimate with only a dozen or so rooms. Accessible only by water means quiet and privacy. We happened to be there at the same time as a world famous celebrity couple who clearly valued the privacy and luxury. It was FAR superior in every way to Compass Point on Nassau which somehow was rate #1 in the Bahamas.
Food was terrific and place was well maintained. Our room was not air conditioned (some are), but it was February and we did not even need the ceiling fans. The attention to detail was fantastic. Every villa is just a few feet from the waters edge. My only "complaint" is that there was nowhere to dry our wet suits and other snorkeling gear. (The hooks on the porch are not really adequate for this). I can recommend Tiamo without reservation for a "get away from it all" vacation.

Room Tip: Some have AC some do not. I personally don't like AC. Our room #105 was beautiful. It did not ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I was referred to Tiamo by my fly fishing outfitter. Because of its unique location in S. Andros Tiamo has pole position access to some of the most iconic bonefish flats in the world. Tiamo set me up with phenomenal guide Cpn Marvin Miller. The bone fishing did not disappoint, even tho I was fishing in the Aug low season at times the flat was a traffic jam of bones. On one day I had caught 10+ bones and then stopped counting. Also these are Androvian bones and on average the biggest bones in all the destinations I have fished.
My GF accompanied me on the trip and she is an underwater photographer. There are a myriad of blue holes to dive, and Tiamo have a great boat and dive staff. She was the only diver that week so she was treated like a princess.
Now for the resort. The pricing may seem on the high side but this is easily a 5 star resort with a European dynamic. Makia took care of all bookings and transfers with efficiency and seamless service. The accommodations are impeccable. But the hi light folks is the FOOD. Chef Keith's food was exemplary, every meal was simply superb. So much so my GF took a cooking lesson with Keith..he is a master Chef. Wilfried the GM brings a Paris flair to the property which is uniquely refreshing. We shall return.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I took our honeymoon here last year and loved Tiamo. For us on our honeymoon it was the perfect place to stay; that said I wouldn't recommend the hotel for a family getaway with children (not much to keep them entertained) or to people looking for an active nightlife scene.

The magic of Tiamo begins almost immediately as your taxi from the airport takes you to a private boat for a ride across a turquise bay to Tiamo. As you speed across the water you'll probably pass over coral, schools of fish, blue holes, star fish and, maybe even a shark (we saw several!). We were met at the dock by the hotel manager, who asked if we'd like to go deep sea fishing to catch dinner! I admit we were a little taken aback, but how could we refuse? This is the nature of the resort, it's super friendly, laid back and ready to cater to your whims. Throughout the week whenever we wanted to go sailing, kayaking, or snorkeling we just asked one of the staff members and they made it happen immediately.

I think the food must be mentioned because it is delicious. Everyday you have breakfast, lunch and dinner on a beautiful deck overlooking the "bight" (a narrow channel of water seperating the islands of Andros and South Andros). The menu is limited to several options, but each meal is always new (nothing was ever repeated) and the food was extremely fresh. My favorite? Curried snapper.

All in all it was a dream vacation made possible by a beautiful location and an extremely welcoming staff!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We took a weekend 'getaway' to Tiamo because it was remote and we were looking for a peaceful and romantic location. It was remote (we took the WesternAir flight from nassau to get there) and quiet in that very few guests were there when we were, but they were doing construction during our visit (which they did not tell us about) so we did have to listen to the sound of construction throughout the day instead of the sound of waves on the shore. The location is generally very beautiful with great snorkeling that's easy to get to. We didn't fish but lots of other guests enjoyed the fishing and had good success.

The staff is real friendly (Colyn, the manager and 'Sam' the bartender are especially fantastic) and they seemed eager to make us happy. The atmosphere was relaxed and the food was probably the best resort food we're ever had. The cottages were charming and we generally enjoyed our time there. There are a few things though, that Tiamo could do to align the experience with the price tag.

First, due to a design flaw, the bathrooms flood terribly when you shower and remain soaked until the room is serviced. If they were to put a small ledge between the shower and the toilet, it would contain the flooding. OR if they provided a long squeegee in the bathroom, guests could manage the flooding on their own after their showers.

Secondly, they told us that they were going to refresh our room refrigerator daily - including the milk . Though during our stay, they never did that and the milk in our refrigerator just got more and more rancid over the course of 4 days. I'm sure they would have refreshed it if we had asked, but there's no way to ask them without going up to the club house and we never remembered to ask when we went up there for dinner.

The 'spa' is nothing more than a single small room and the massage I received was not very good.

They advertise their 'walking trails' as one of the resort features but they are so overgrown as to be barely passable (and you have to walk past the resort garbage dump on your way to 'nature').

We enjoyed the non-motorized water sports but it was hard to get any assistance with them since it was frequently difficult to find any staff around.

So yes, romantic and charming with a lovely staff and we did have a nice time. But we also found it expensive for the experience and we feel that with a little bit of effort, they could make it more worthy of the price tag.

Tuscaloosa, Ala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Everything others have said about this resort is true. Leave your computers at home and just enjoy the wonderful setting, the wonderful staff who all treat you like family, the water activities and the terrific food. I just thought I'd try to add some points not generally covered in most of the other reviews.

Food -- There is a full continental breakfast each morning including some fresh fruit, lox with cream cheese, orange juice, coffee and breads. In addition you can get eggs as well and a different hot breakfast special each morning, such as lobster eggs benedict or cocunut french toast. Lunch and dinner includes two different entree choices each day with dinner selections always including one meat and one fish/seafood selection. They will also create a special vegetarian selection upon request. The chef is very creative. His soups are particularly outstanding and his presentation skills are also first class. If I were to recommend anything I'd say generally lean to the local fish/seafood selections, although I had a steak one night that was absolutely outstanding with a wonderful sauce. My wife had veal one night and it was the only thing we had the whole 5 days that was not up to par. I'm not sure how often the menus are rotated but we had no repeats at all in the 5 days we were there.

Dress -- Tee shirts, shorts, swim suits and flip flops are typical during the day. Most wear collared shirts/blouses and either shorts or casual slacks/capri pants for dinner, but there were some tee shirts as well. Don't bother with dress shoes as sandals/flip flops are standard for dinner as well.

Accommodations -- The small extra cost for a room with A/C is certainly worth it. The rooms are all the same except the pool room which has a jacuzzi tub on a deck outside your room. The rooms are not huge but certainly spacious enough to be very comfortable. We were upgraded to the pool room for the first 4 nights of our stay and one review mentioned that the pool didn't hold water well and they did not use it for that reason. That problem seems to have been corrected as the staff checked the water level each day and we saw them adding water if necessary to top it off. We agree with those who said the beds/mattresses are top quality and extremely comfortable. The last night we stayed in Cottage 1 which is the closest cottage to the main "great room" area. The bathroom area in this cottage leaves something to be desired in the way of privacy and I'd avoid this one. All of the bathroom areas are in the back of the cottage and you walk outside on a screened porch to get back to the bathroom. Each room has two nice bath robes so that was not a problem at all. The bathroom area is configured so that when you walk in the first little section has a double sink, mirror and counter space. The second section is a small john room and then you have a lovely walk in tile shower. In the pool cottage there is a door as you enter the first double sink section so the whole bathroom area is private.
However, in Cottage 1 the door separates the john room and shower from the sink area and there is no door to make the sink area private. Therefore, when you come out of the shower into the sink area you must put clothes or the robe on before you enter the sink area. They could solve this problem by moving the door and perhaps they will do that but right now it is a minor irritant.

Bugs -- They definitely have some bugs but we did not find that to be a serious problem. The cottages all have full screens so only an occasional bug gets into them. The do have bug repellent in each room and you may find a need for it outside during the day. It was quite windy almost every day we were there so we noticed few bugs and they didn't seem to be a problem at all during dinner. We didn't seem to encounter the small sand fleas but we did get bitten a few times by the larger biting flies I used to call "deer flies". However, the strange thing for me was that as soon as I felt them biting and swatted them, the bite didn't produce a welt on me or even itch. My wife said the same thing initially but then she had some that produced welts the next day that did itch. I don't know what to conclude except that they seem to affect some more than others. I would recommend if you have any long thin pants you might want to bring a pair of them to wear if you go fishing, particularly on days when there is no wind. I had a pair of extremely thin safari pants from our trip to Africa and they worked perfectly.

Water shoes -- The beach and water area right around the dock are fine for bare feet. However, if you plan to do wade the area to fish I'd recommend a pair of water shoes as you'll encounter some rough areas where bare feet would not be comfortable. If you like fishing at all you will definitely want to try this. Tiamo has very nice fully equipped fishing rods so it is not necessary to bring your own fishing equipment to enjoy some fishing on your own.

Getting there -- If you are depending on one of the small regularly scheduled little flights from Nassau to Andros, you may have to be very persistent to get through to them and make your reservation. Most only have a couple flights a day so their telephones are not even manned much of the day and you may have difficulty making the connection. Don't hesitate to contact Tiamo and ask for their help. We did that and they made the reservations for us.

Tiamo is really a unique experience. It is a place you will enjoy most if you are one of those who either are content to just kick back and relax for a good portion of each day or are an avid fisherman who spends the better part of every day fishing.

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great small island retreat . Fantastic staff. Brilliant chef - food excellent. Don't wait in Nassau get a small aircraft to take you to Androsvthen a 10 minute boat ride to island

Room Tip: Do not go for pool room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!