“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mangrove Cay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andros
Mangrove Cay Inn
Mangrove Cay, Andros   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Andros B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We stayed in the three bedroom cottage for nearly a week and were very comfortable. Two of the beds were comfortable, mine was rather lumpy, but I still slept well in the wonderful quiet on Mangrove Cay. Even though it's grown since I was last there nearly twenty years ago, it's very peaceful and laid back. We were surprised to see there are streetlights now! And the internet was much better than a fancier hotel in Freeport.
MCI isn't fancy, but it's very clean and comfortable and our place was quite roomy, with a full kitchen, dining room, and living room. The satelite TV was out, but Pat brought us a DVD player and movies for us to watch in the evenings, though I spent at least one night outside just enjoying the beautiful view of the stars. Even with the new streetlights you can still see the whole sky at night and it is breathtaking.
There are two dining rooms - a breakfast/lunch room that is casual, with a big coffee pot - and a nicer room with gorgeous Androsia tablecloths of every colour. Pat's food is very good and you get generous servings. We shared a plate on more than one evening.
We borrowed the bikes and rode south to Lisbon Creek. We weren't able to have lunch at the restaurant there, or buy a drink at the store on the way, because the owners were still at church late Sunday morning (even though the posted hours stated they would be open). But that's how it is - laid back and 'soon come'.
I suggest going south to the public access beach. There is beach access at MCI, but it's rocky and not the kind of beach most people from the US expect. Besides, it's a nice walk. :-)
We did have trouble closing the windows when it got chilly, but didn't bother to ask for a space heater. We had blankets and those were fine for sleeping. You might want to bring your own snacks (trail mix, etc) because chips and cookies are pretty expensive at the store - everything has to be imported, so you are paying for that.
(NB: Pat and Elliott are family).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
washington,pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My fiancee and I stayed with Pat and Elliott for five wonderful days. Our room was very cozy and clean, every meal we had at the Inn was very good and filling. Pat and Elliott are great hosts they told us stories about the past of Mangrove Cay and their personal past in the states and on the island. Everybody we encountered on the island were very friendly and helpful. If you are looking to catch some bonefish while there Marvin Miller is an excellent guide. Mangrove Cay Inn is simply wonderful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
pittsboro, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My favorite place on earth. It's more than a trip. It's visiting family that you didn't know you had until you arrived. Pat and Elliott are amazing people who take excellent care of you. Whatever you may need or want. The staff are wonderful Bahamian people. Friendly and caring. You will probably want to stay forever like we do.The atmosphere, flowers, beautiful waters and wonderful people will draw you in. Pat is an excellent cook and my mom while I'm there. My name is Crystal but she warmly and lovingly calls me Tilly. Elliott is quick with a joke. He's got the rum punch drinks perfected. He will keep you laughing and just entertained. They are both hard working people. The slow pace and layed back days and nights cannot be described in words. The Mangrove Cay in is a place that has to be experienced. So don't wait...start making those plans now. Hope to see you there!!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Beaufort, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

We stayed for a 9 day bonefishing trip in April 2008.
Great place. Pat and Elliot are teriffic hosts. Rooms comfortable and squeaky-clean. Internet access available. Food wonderful, convivial bar, and the Inn can arrange for good guides (Patterson, Al and Marvin), boats, biking, blue hole tours, etc.
Mangrove Cay is a cash-only place, so plan accordingly.
Elliot is a great host (the unofficial "Mayor of Mangrove Cay"), and try to get him to give you a personal tour! Get a taste of the "traditional" Bahamas before developers got their hands on it.

• Liked — Great rooms and food.
  • Disliked — Not directly on water. No views.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Swansea, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

Some friends of mine have been celebrating the New Year on South Andros at Pat and Elliott’s Mangrove Cay Inn for a few years. I couldn’t go but I seen lots of pictures and heard lots of stories of the great time, great food and of a great couple. So finely after Christmas of 2006 some friends and I celebrated New Year’s at Pat and Elliott’s, I arrived a day after my friends. When I saw South Andros, Mangrove Cay Inn and the beaches it was like I had found something I had lost, you remember as a kid, the smell and sight of the ocean. You can’t wait to get your toes in the water. I think I had a smile on my face the whole time I was staying with Pat and Elliott. I was greeted by Pat and Elliott like family in front of the cottage I would be staying in; Pat gave me a big hug and Elliott a hearty handshake. Pat reminds me of an aunt that you would hear humming and singing as she was cooking you some of the most delicious meals. All of the meals are homemade from breakfast to dinner. You have to try the conch fritters, I had these every day I was there. And you can’t believe the taste of freshly picked fruit like a papaya or those little bananas. Pat makes a jelly made from sea grapes that is truly amazing. Elliott is always ready to tell you about life on the island, this reminds me of sitting on my grandmother’s front porch in the evening and listening to one’s family history. Also he was working on the putting on the roof of the ice cream parlor he was building across the street from the inn. Elliott showed me around on my second day when he was picking up some supplies for the inn, while my friends was exploring a local bat cave with a island friend they had meet on their past trips. I saw the most amazing colors of the ocean and the most beautiful flowers, Elliott showed me the blue hole, ferry dock, mail boat and we stopped to talk with people along the way. My friends and I would snorkel at the blue hole that is near the inn or go to down “Elliott’s Beach” to walk in the water. You can see the most amazing and colorful creatures, shells and reef in the most amazing gentle clear water. There is a bar in the inn that has a nice variety of beers, do try one of the island beers, and Elliott can make about any kind of drink. The pace of life is relaxed and friendly at Pat and Elliott’s inn, it’s where you can sit, talk, read or watch some of the most amazing night skies. Leaving Pat , Elliott, Mangrove Cay Inn and South Andros was like the last day of the family vacation, you’re going to miss everyone and everything. But for me, I know I’m coming back to a place that feels like a little piece of home.
Richard Leon Helms
Swansea, South Carolina

• Liked — The feel and atmosphere of the place.
  • Disliked — Arriving in Nassau.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2003

About 8 years ago, we stayed on South Andros and on a whim, we decided to take the ferry up to Mangrove Cay. It was the best decision we ever made. When we met Pat and Elliott Greene and saw their lovely inn, it was" love at first sight". Since that day, we have enjoyed staying at the Mangrove Cay Inn, every year that we can get there.Pat and Elliott are the most likeable and accommodating people that we have ever met.The food is out of this world and the inn is so clean and pleasant.The atmosphere is relaxed and always happy and friendly. We are greeted like family by this sincere and beautiful couple.We ride the rental bikes that the inn supplies and enjoy traveling up and down this scenic island,making friends all along the way. We snorkel in the blue hole that is near the Mangrove Cay Inn and ride to the ferry dock to watch the mail boat delivering the islands mail. And all day long we look forward to one of Pat's amazing meals, with her homemade coconut bread, conch fritters, fresh fish and so much more.We find hibiscus flowers decorating the diningroom tables, freshly picked from their yard and sometimes find a bowl of sapodillas that grow on the island. You can always hear Pat humming and singing as she prepares one of her masterpieces, and Elliott is always close by to tell you about life on the island.Eight years ago, it was our intention to visit a different island each year. But, instead, we keep returning to Mangrove Cay Inn. Back to our "island home" , our "island family".

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2003

If you are looking for a place to stay where you can feel at home then Mangrove Cay Inn is for you! I would have to say Pat and Elliot Green will warm up your heart. I have never met anyone as friendly or as funny as this couple. the rooms were very nice and clean, The food was outstanding and the service can't be beat. We never had a dull moment, Pat arranged daily fishing trips for us with one of the best guides on the Island ( Oscar Green ). The Fishing experience was top of the line.
We also met alot of Pat and Elliots freinds and relatives. We have to say we left the Island feeling that we have been adopted by one of the nicest Families We had ever met. See you again soon, Judy and Nolan

Been to Mangrove Cay Inn? Share your experiences!