We've been going to Small Hope for 14 years (well over 30 visits, including our wedding in 2000), and consider it one of the best places in the world for a relaxing dive vacation, and a great place for kids. There aren't many places where you can stay barefoot all week and let your children run free in the (reef protected) shallows and mangrove swamp.
That said -- SHB is indeed rustic. You're not expected to spend a lot of time in the cabins, so they are simple, clean (but far from antiseptic) and not air-conditioned. Fans are usually enough to keep things comfortable, but if you like to be cool at night, you may be disappointed. The water pressure is not always reliable, and the fixtures are very basic.
As the resort is eco-friendly, the the surrounding greenery is not sprayed with insecticides. Which means you should be prepared to keep yourself covered and/or coated with bug repellent at all times, particularly on calm days.
The food has waxed and waned over the years, but is usually tasty and plentiful. Be sure to take advantage of the Bahamian options, including conch fritters, land crab claws, and rice and peas. The open (and all inclusive) bar is a truly wonderful thing., and playing bartender is a great way to get to know your fellow--and almost always faschinating--SHB guests.
For divers, SHB is paradise. Blue holes, wall dives, some very nice shallow coral gardens, all within minutes of the dock. For non-divers, the snorkeling around the lagoon and dock is spectacular, the mangrove swamps are full of birds, orchids, and interesting critters; and the kayaks and bicyles are always available. And of course there are all those hammocks and a library full of books.
If your idea of the Bahamas is the resorts and casinos of Nassau, you probably won't enjoy the more subtle charms of Small Hope Bay. But if you want to kick off your shoes and and take a break from 21st century "conveniences" like ever-ringing cell phones and 24-hour news programming, Small Hope Bay is definitely for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas