“The search is over” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Andros
New Orleans, Louisiana
“The search is over”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

After 35 plus years of dive travel around the world I finally found what is the perfect combination of quality diving, comfortable lodging, staff that went out of their way to be helpful and friendly, excellent food and an overall relaxing atmosphere that is as good as I have ever experienced. The diving in particular was noteworthy. The reefs we visited were unspoiled and teeming with life. The Blue Holes are legendary in diving history and not to be missed. The walls drop to 6,000 feet and are simply unmatched any where. The diving is accessible for both the novice and the experienced. The wall and Blue Holes are just as spectacular at shallow depths as deep. The shark dive utilized a suspended frozen "fishsicle" unique in that it allows the diver to see sharks interact with one another as opposed to a divemaster with a bucket of fish. All of the dives are professionally run with an informative briefing followed by an in water guide that you have the choice to follow or not. The dive staff managed the rare combination of oversight and personal freedom that is difficult to find lately. I never felt like someone was controlling every aspect of the dive but always knew that a divemaster was unobtrusively nearby. In sum this is the type of diving that I dream about when I have been out of the water too long. I don't think I wore shoes or checked my e mail the entire trip. The relaxation was total. However wi fi is available and cell phones worked. Scuba diving and fishing appeared to be the primary attractions but there were plenty of other activities available for the nature lover. I hope to return many times.

Room Tip: Lodging was a series of small beachfront two room units. All faced the ocean which is only a few ste...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review, Alton! I am so happy you were able to experience many of the things that make our diving unique - amazing walls, inland and ocean blue holes, dives perfect no matter what level of diver you are, all within a 20 minute boat ride, AND we are the only ones diving there! We are blessed with beautiful diving diversity. I am glad you got to relax and unwind too. There is no place better than Small Hope for that. Hope to see you back soon!

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Hendersonville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Small Hope Bay Lodge in Jan 2013 and had a blast!! What a GREAT way to get away from it all. I was able to participate in the resort dive and then went on 6 dives - saw LOTS of beautiful fish, gorgeous colors and 2 sharks! It was amazing! The dive team were wonderful and patient! The food was delicious! We wanted to celebrate local cuisine and the staff certainly delivered there! The stars were beautiful. The cabin was wonderful. Private at the end (as we requested) and we had our own little beach 24 steps from our front door! And - let's talk about the people! EVERYONE was so happy and helpful and friendly. We've been all around the world and have never been to a more friendly place. Everyone on the island was amazingly friendly! The whole trip was relaxed and perfect! I can't wait to go back!!!! The only slightly negative thing I can say AT ALL is that we stayed the 2nd week at a rented house on the inlet. It was wonderful as well, but the no-see-ums were biting the 2nd week. I had no problems at all with bites while at SHBL at any time of day. No annoyance at all. it was just the 2nd week being off the beach.

Room Tip: All rooms here are wonderful. I prefer the end room. All are right on the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Jacki, thanks for such a lovely review. I am happy you were able to enjoy so many of things we love about Small Hope - the great diving, the delicious food, cabins right on the beach. The bugs will sometimes be around when the wind settles but it's a small price for being in this little piece of paradise. We are all hoping to see you again soon!!!
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Warning- this island and resort is not for the non-adventurous or spoiled! Be honest with yourself before you book. If you're inclined to stay at a place with new shampoo bottles and sparkling floors every day, this just isn't the place for you. But they do take very good care of the place and it is exactly what we would expect for being located literally on the edge of the water on such an unpopulated island. And the staff is unbelievable!

My husband and I ran across Small Hope Bay Lodge when we were searching for honeymoon destinations. We had decided on the Bahamas and were debating between doing the big touristy thing by going to Atlantis or more rural accommodations on a less inhabited island. I'm so glad with did both!

After two nights at Atlantis, we boarded the plane for Andros and Small Hope. The charter-type plane was cramped and smelly, but the adventure was worth it. Every single person we met on Andros was friendly and excited to have us there. The resort staff was extremely attentive. It is a dive resort, but they didn't have any problem with the fact that we weren't divers. We did take the complimentary SCUBA class (and had a great time), but weren't pressured to go out on the deeper dives the next day. We took a bike ride to one of the inland blue holes, we spent hours on the beach, got dropped off by the dive boat at one of the cays ("keys") for a picnic and went snorkeling. It's amazing what you can see right off-shore, if you're not interested in SCUBA.

The food was fantastic. Very well-balanced meals, something for everyone. And the bar was always "open". If someone wasn't there to make you a drink, you could go back there yourself and pour something on your own.

We arrived just as they opened back up for the fall, so spirits were high. The staff was always around to help us, but never hassled or bothered us. There were a few minor mishaps (broken bike chain, for example), but their intentions were so good, we didn't see the point in being upset. Even with the imperfections, it was a perfect vacation! We felt like part of the family and felt like we'd been coming there for years. Although we try not to visit the same place twice, I have a feeling we'll be back here in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the great review! It was so nice meeting the two of you and we are thrilled that we could help make your honeymoon a wonderful one. Looking forward to seeing you both again soon!!! P.S. Hope the move went well!
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I discovered Small Hope Bay while searching for our honeymoon destination. We were very intrigued due to the massive amount of positive reviews and by the great price. It had been a while since I had been to the beach, but my typical memories were of crowded beaches in Florida with little room and no privacy. I had always assumed that was just how the beach had to be... until we went to Small Hope Bay.

When we finally made it to Small Hope Bay Lodge, we were greeted and immediately offered a drink while we went on our short tour of the place. The main lodge is great. It is filled with local artifacts, books, sitting areas, a bar, and the kitchen. The rooms were private, and very simple... exactly what you need if you want to get away. There are no distractions like TV's. Some people may find this as a downside, however we appreciated the lack of unnecessary technologies - it really allowed us to enjoy the time we had and not get caught up with what was going on in the outside world.

The beach is only a few steps away from your room, and the water is crystal clear. The feeling of privacy you get at Small Hope will make you never visit a "tourist destination" ever again. We took several walks down the beach and rarely saw another person.

There is plenty to do - swimming, snorkeling, diving, bike riding, exploring blue holes, fishing, you name it! We were never bored!

The food was fantastic! Prepared fresh, and we had something different every night!

The staff is amazing. They truly made the experience that much better. I have never left a resort with the feeling that I had made a bunch of new friends before. The employees of Small Hope Bay Lodge make you feel right at home. They are extremely friendly, helpful, and you can tell they have a passion for what they do.

I could go on and on about how much we enjoyed our trip to Small Hope Bay - it was truly unforgettable. I hope to be back one day, and hope to catch up with some of the great employees that I met down there!

Thanks for everything!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thanks for such a lovely review Zach! I am glad you both got to appreciate the true beauty here on Andros - escape to a tropical secluded beach, great friends, great food, great times! We all really enjoyed getting to know you both and hope to see you again soon!
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I visited Small Hope in February and loved it so much we brought our whole family (12 of us) back in August. The trip exceeded our expectations. Our grandchildren's ages went from 7 to 31 and each one had a wonderful time. Our children and grandchildren all tried scuba diving (some for the first time). The youngest 2 participated in the SASY program. All loved it. Most of the group participated in a reef fishing trip and had a blast. The staff was wonderful to us, making sure we got to do all the things we wanted to do. The laid-back, friendly atmosphere suited all of us. The food was great and plentiful. The dive staff was great and made sure we were all safe during our dives. I felt we were truly treated like "family".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thanks so much, Gail! It was great seeing you again, as well as meeting the rest of the family. I am so happy you all had a great time. I am glad everyone got to give scuba diving a try, plus all the other family activities! I look forward to seeing you again soon!
baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our vacation to Small Hope Bay Lodge was awesome for the whole family and was very kid friendly. The staff were extremely helpful, caring and went above and beyond to assure that you had everything you wanted or needed. The Snorkeling and Scuba Diving was some of the best we have ever seen. We have been to other resorts, but enjoyed the Andros Island, Bahamas the most. Everyone made you feel right at home and very comfortable the whole trip. The food was very good with lots of flavor and seasoned perfect. We will definitely be back soon as this was a vacation to remember.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thanks for the great review Jeremy! It was great getting to you and your family. I am so glad the kids got to try diving (among other things). And I agree with you on the food. The kitchen does a wonderful job! I very much hope to see you all back here soon!
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've been going to SHB for almost 30 years, since I was 14 years old. Now my children are growing up going to this beautiful place and all but one have become certified divers! The dives are beautiful, the staff is awesome, and the location is perfect. I love the rustic atmosphere of the place - it makes me feel more in tune with nature.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
It was great to see you and your whole family again, Indira! Thanks for the great review. We always enjoy having you guys here. Summer wouldn't be the same without you all. Next year we'll get your daughter diving too!

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!