“Small Hope Bay-A special treasure on Andros Island, Bahamas. (diving, fishing, snorkeling and just relaxing)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Small Hope Bay Lodge

Buy One Get One!
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Andros
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I almost don't want to write this review as it feels like sharing a well-kept secret with the rest of the world. I'm here right now, having returned for a 2nd trip in less than a year - we loved it so much the first time (4/2012) and have returned with another family for schoolbreak.

I could list all the things you can do here: diving (wide range from relaxing "strolls" to highly technical cave / blue hole), snorkeling, fishing (fly, deep sea, reef, creek), Batik printing, inland nature hikes, kayaking, and eating.

But, you can find that in a lot of places...what makes Small Hope Bay Lodge stand out is the whole atmosphere, the people who run the lodge, and the feeling that you're family. They really do care that you are enjoying yourself and make that special effort to take care of you. It's almost like coming back to summer camp, you feel like you reconnect with people, and you can be as active or inactive (in my case) as you'd like.

It's all inclusive, so your meals are all prepared, your room is cleaned up, laundry gets done, and they serve terrific conch fritters starting at 6:30 with delicious drinks and great conversation. The kids are well received here and celebrated when they do that first dive or see that cool fish or make friends with hermit crabs. Our kids have coincidentally met up this week with 4 other families with kids the same age - a built in play ground. I never worry about them getting up before me to head out for breakfast and then explore with their buddies. The lodge area is small enough with enough staff and other vacationers who know all the kids by first names.

What it's not - this is not a fancy, room service, highly scheduled, multi-pool, entertainment center, dolphin kissing resorty type of place. It's very low key, quieter experience with a small group of people. For some, that's a great vacation, for others maybe not so much. As I said earlier, I feel conflicted about sharing such a treasure of a place. :)

Room Tip: Room 5 and 6 have A/c if you feel the need. The overhead fans and stand up fans were plenty.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review! We absolutely loved having your family here again. It was so much fun to watch the kids diving and playing with all the other kids. They are very sweet kids. I am glad you all were able to appreciate what we truly are and want to be - a secluded, off-the-beaten-track kind of resort, where you can be as active or inactive as you like and where you truly are part of our family! We hope to see all of you again here soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Beaverton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently enjoyed my second trip to Small Hope Bay Lodge. If your looking for a safe/quiet resort to dive, snorkel, kayak, bicycle, birdwatch, fish, or simply to unwind in a relaxing hammock, look no further. This destination will allow you to get away from it all and rejuvenate. It is ideal, whether your vacationing alone, with friends, family or your significant other.

Since my first trip last year, I've told everyone I meet about this exceptional vacation destination. People who know me hear it in my voice how much the staff of SHB Lodge and the residents of Andros Island have captured my heart.

If your looking for WiFi, a bar fridge and a TV in your room or you must have room service, this is NOT the destination for you.

This is an intimate resort where each guest has an equally spectacular view of sunrises/sunsets, palm and coconut trees, the beach and the water; just outside every room.

By the end of your stay you will likely know the names of most of the guests and staff and have formed many friendships.

If you choose to stay at Small Hope Bay Lodge, I hope you leave feeling captivated by the people, as I did. My only regret is that they haven't adopted me .... yet.

Room Tip: I stayed in cabin 5b. The coconut trees were not as tall by this room so I wasn't awoken by fal...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a sweet review Cathy. We loved seeing you again. I am glad you had such a wonderful time. It was definitely our pleasure seeing your smiling face again. Looking forward to the next time!
Chelsea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My friends and I just returned from a great week at Small Hope Bay Lodge, a wonderfully relaxing, all-inclusive resort on stunning Andros in the Bahamas. There is something for everyone at Small Hope Bay Lodge - serious scuba diving, spectacular snorkeling, hiking, biking, kayaking, and just swinging in a hammock and reading a book. I've traveled extensively and not found a place where the staff is as gracious and friendly - everyone ACTUALLY seems to be happy to meet you and interested in making sure you have a great time. I also appreciated the home-cooked meals, home-baked desserts and killer conch fritters! Small Hope Bay is a casual, comfortable place where everyone is made to feel at home. Great for groups and families. If you are looking for an easy vacation in a beautiful place with a casual vibe, Small Hope Bay is the place for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks for the very sweet review! I am so happy you had a wonderful vacation. It sounds like you really got to experience what Small Hope is - a great place to do whatever you like from scuba diving to kayaking to just relaxing on the beach. And of course the staff is happy to meet new guests and make sure they have a great time. We have the best guests here and want them to enjoy this place as much as we do! I hope we get to see you all again very soon.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Relaxation……
Our second visit to SHBL was definitely the most relaxed 9 days we’ve had for a while. We met lovely people, both guests & staff. Had the best nights sleep, ever.
No need for shoes or a watch just a simple routine of eating, diving, massage, chatting & hot tubbing.

Massage was great, highly recommended.

Diving. The dive centre at Small Hope is steeped in history and the dive staff have an ethos that goes beyond the PADI books, there is a genuine passion for diving and a passion to share it with others at the heart of the place.
We dove a good variety of sites like walls, caverns, shallow reefs & of course the blue hole, fascinating geological stuff going on down there.
There was a mix of beginners and experienced divers while we were there, it was great to see a couple of people absolutely hooked after their first dive.

Adventure….
Did a couple of the ‘Specialty dives’ and these are what really sets Small Hope apart from other dive operators. 50+ years of exploration & experience combines with thoughtful customer service, geological knowledge and a sprinkle of magic. These dives are not for everyone but the ‘Over the Wall at Night’ dive is definitely the most special thing I’ve ever done underwater.
I said it at the time & I’m putting it in writing: Where else could you buy that, legally?

We’ll be back for more….

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review Hayden. I am sorry I missed seeing you two. It would have been great to see you again. It sounds like you had a wonderful time though so I am glad. I agree the massages are AMAZING! And the diving too! I am happy you were able to have a great and relaxing holiday and hopefully we will see you both again soon!
Basel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Sorry, but Reading all the positive reviews makes me feel I was at a different place. to make it short but clear:
- the rooms are run down, old, dirty, no hot water, always humid. I even don't want to describe what they call a bed
- diving is nothing special in regards to the reef but very special in regard to standards of safety
- food is good compared to burger king. At this price it is a shame
- staff is indeed friendly but that's it and that's not enough
SHB lodge is not a holiday location. You must have a sort of psychedelic misunderstanding of reality to like this odd location. never ever again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
I thank you for your response but I'm not sure I really think we are talking about the same place. Our rooms are indeed original cabins made when my father created the first Dive Resort in the Caribbean and have housed in their amazing history Politicians and Celebrities from around the world for the last 53 years. They are cleaneddaily and I wish you had brought up any issues while you stayed with us as our service has won us awards across the world and we would have jumped at the opportunity to solve it immediately for you.

As you know the rooms are right on the beach, and in addition to the ocean breeze they have ceiling fans and all are equipped with Air Conditioning, so the humidity does not get that high especially in February where it is very, very low. But I'm sorry you felt it was uncomfortable, again we maybe could have helped.

Our Diving also has access to the Third Largest Barrier Reef in the world, along with multiple blue holes, reefs, wrecks and caves so I wish you had let us know at the time as we could have found something to suit you. One thing that we will say is that our geological diversity can't be beat. We are proud that within such a short boat ride(20 minutes at most) there is so much marine diversity.

But to say our Freshly prepared food, cooked each day with fresh ingredients is like Burger King is unfortunate, and again makes me unsure we are talking about the same place. But again I do wish you would have said something as we again would have jumped at the opportunity to fix it for you.

We are very proud of our resort and getting away from the world to experience a proper remote Island Life experience is the core of Small Hope Bay Lodge. Because of that we can not be like Atlantis or Sheridan Hotels. We are a closer to the Good Life.

-Jeff Birch, owner
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by the rustic nature of the entire resort complex. Diving was great. Visibility 2nd to none. Staff extremely courteous and helpful. Meals & service excellent. All inclusive is the way to go. No TV, Radio, Boom boxes. Truly relaxing. Enjoyed fishing with Bonefish Bradly, caught 2 bonefish, a first for me. Will do it again soon I hope.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks for the great review Mick. We really enjoyed having the two of you stay with us! I am happy you appreciated some of the things that make Small Hope such a special place - being able to get away from the hustle and bustle and find a truly relaxing vacation. I'm glad you got your first bonefish! We have fantastic guides. We hope to see you two very soon!
Orford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our family of 16, ranging from two 70 something grandparents, three adult coples and eight grandkids, has taken many wonderful trips in the past, but Small Hope Bay was far more than what our gang had hoped for - diving the world face Blue Hole, snorkeling, fishing from bone fish to deep sea, a wonderfully private beach, excellent food and unlimited drinks, all inclusive. All this delivered by an accommodating and very competent staff that could be the model for what great service is all about. Don't think Small Hope - think Highest Hopes - when you experience this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
shbmkt, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for that glowing review! We absolutely loved having you and your family stay with us. I am happy you were able to experience so many of the things that make Small Hope and Andros so special - fishing, diving, snorkeling, as well as our amazing New Year's Eve party. It was wonderful to bring in 2013 with you and we hope to see you all very soon!

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!