I almost don't want to write this review as it feels like sharing a well-kept secret with the rest of the world. I'm here right now, having returned for a 2nd trip in less than a year - we loved it so much the first time (4/2012) and have returned with another family for schoolbreak.
I could list all the things you can do here: diving (wide range from relaxing "strolls" to highly technical cave / blue hole), snorkeling, fishing (fly, deep sea, reef, creek), Batik printing, inland nature hikes, kayaking, and eating.
But, you can find that in a lot of places...what makes Small Hope Bay Lodge stand out is the whole atmosphere, the people who run the lodge, and the feeling that you're family. They really do care that you are enjoying yourself and make that special effort to take care of you. It's almost like coming back to summer camp, you feel like you reconnect with people, and you can be as active or inactive (in my case) as you'd like.
It's all inclusive, so your meals are all prepared, your room is cleaned up, laundry gets done, and they serve terrific conch fritters starting at 6:30 with delicious drinks and great conversation. The kids are well received here and celebrated when they do that first dive or see that cool fish or make friends with hermit crabs. Our kids have coincidentally met up this week with 4 other families with kids the same age - a built in play ground. I never worry about them getting up before me to head out for breakfast and then explore with their buddies. The lodge area is small enough with enough staff and other vacationers who know all the kids by first names.
What it's not - this is not a fancy, room service, highly scheduled, multi-pool, entertainment center, dolphin kissing resorty type of place. It's very low key, quieter experience with a small group of people. For some, that's a great vacation, for others maybe not so much. As I said earlier, I feel conflicted about sharing such a treasure of a place. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas