“Small Hope Bay Lodge All Inclusive Resort Delivers” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
2 Fly Free Special
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Andros
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
“Small Hope Bay Lodge All Inclusive Resort Delivers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Small Hope was a great honeymoon spot for this newlywed. My wife and I were able to relax and do things at our own pace. I tried bone-fishing and she had a massage during our trip. Both were excellent. The food was fantastic for every meal and the staff made us feel like a part of the family. I have never been to another resort where you were able eat dinner with the owner one night and the chef that prepared your meal the next. Conch fritters are my new favorite happy hour snack....I can't get enough of them! If you want a relaxing environment where the staff knows you by name and the food is delightful then Small Hope Bay Lodge is the place for you. I am not a diver but I did try the beginner course. Still found plenty to do during our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you Stephen for the great review. I am so happy to hear that you and Wendi enjoyed your honeymoon so much, we are thrilled that you spent it with us. The atmosphere at Small Hope is I think what sets it apart from other resorts, when you're here you're family! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the food as well, the conch fritters are definitely addicting, you guys will have to come back soon for some more!

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My brother, son and best friend stayed here in April 2012 and it was absolutely terrific. The dive site is singular in my experience in that there are opportunities to do dives that are adventurous and thrilling. Whether it is a deep dive over the wall, a shark dive or a shallow dive, the dive staff is professional and the operation is well run with a strong bent toward safety. No ocean dive we went on seemed to be more than a 20 min boat ride from the dock. On shore, the all inclusive aspect of the resort was very hospitable and relaxing. This operation is really dialed in for a get away from it all, departure from the real world holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Small Hope Bay, we absolutely loved having you stay with us. Here at Small Hope we take pride in the unique diving opportunities that we offer, all the adventure and thrills you could want without ever sacrificing diver safety! And its true, over the years Small Hope has perfected the "get away from it all" experience! Come visit us again whenever you need a break from the real world!
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband and I, both divers, stayed at Small Hope this April (2012) for a week. The staff, especially the diving staff, was wonderful. They were knowledgeable, helpful, and extremely accomodating. The cave/blue hole diving was fantastic, and the shark dive was fun. Even got to snorkel with dophins! The fish life wasn't as abundant as we would have liked, but the coral life was healthy and beautiful. The lodge itself is older; I was reminded of being at a "summer camp," but this one had alcohol, and we never ran out of hot water. The food was what you would expect from an "all inclusive," but the conch fritters were to die for. All in all, it was a funky, fun, friendly, place.

Room Tip: All rooms had view of beach...can't really go wrong.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for the lovely review. We absolutely loved having the both of you stay with us and we still talk about your lucky encounter with the dolphins. Small Hope is definitely a funky, fun and friendly place whose staff and guests are much the same. We would love to have you back soon for some more margaritas!
Telluride, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The best thing about this place is the staff. They are kind, sincere, knowledgeable, interesting, and professional. They were absolutely lovely, and we truly enjoyed meeting them and learning from them. But we would never go back to this resort, and here's why:

Buried low on one of their website pages it reads, "It is a Small Hope tradition that children under 10 dine at 6:30 PM in their own seating area in the Games Room." Nowhere does it say that this is a mandatory policy, and that exceptions are not allowed, or that your children are not permitted to join you for the cocktail hour or dinner even if they are upset, sad, or just want to be with you. While our 5 year old was for the most part ok with this policy, our 20 month old had a difficult time being with strangers night after night. When I brought her in for a quck visit during one of the dinners, I was asked to remove her (even though she was quiet). As a result, my husband and/or I ended up eating all of the meals with the children and babysitters in the "game room" (more on this later), separated from the rest of our family we were traveling with. The mandatory nature of their policy is NOT made excplicit on their website, and if we had known this in advance, we would absolutely not have stayed there, as being separated from our kids while on vacation is just not our style.

The "Game Room" we were forced to eat in is a dismal space filled with a ratty assortment of broken toys. There is a plywood play structure to climb on, but it is absolutely filthy, the underneath part is strewn with trash and sports a 2 inch coating of grime. There is an ancient, splintering swingset outside with hinges so rusted out the swings dangle by thin metal threads. There were no "planned activities" after dinner as the website suggests. The 2 staff babysitters were lovely women and we liked them very much. They did not have very much to work with (in terms of toys, art supplies, or other options) , but they did their best and treated all of the children very well. I had no complaints whatsoever about the babysitters themselves.

Picking up sharp glass and trash from the beaches became a full time activity while we were there. I don't mean seaglass mind you, I mean huge jagged pieces of broken glass everywhere. It was so sad to have to wear your flipflops on the beach. I picked up tons of trash from the beaches every day.

I am a major fan of resorts with rustic charm, no TVs, and basic amenities. We deeply appreciate these things, actually. But instead of charming, rustic and simple, Small Hope Bay Lodge just feels neglected and sad, like a church camp that has run low on funding. I wish that the quality of the surroundings had matched the quality of the staff. Also, they should not market themselves as a "family friendly" resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review I just really wish you had told us about some of your concerns while here. I am so very happy you appreciated the sincerity of the staff. The quality of our staff has been a priority of ours since 1960. We value any input from our guests and I will personally look into all that you say, including your opinions of our Games Room. I need to share that I thought that I had touched bases with you several times, especially that last night when only your kids were here and suggested they join the larger part of your family and you declined after several attempts. I am sorry that you did not know explicitly about our policy before your arrival. We have had our dining/activities policy for decades and it seems to really benefit both the kids and the parents. However, we will always try to accommodate each and every family in the best way we can, even if that means making exceptions now and then. If I had known of your concerns I think we could have come up with a better solution. -Jeff Birch, owner
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

This resort is truly special! From the moment we arrived we felt like valued guests. We were able to relax immediately upon arrival. Jeff and the staff really went out of their way and we felt like we were surrounded by friends. Fabulous family vacation! We will return!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
shbmkt, Erin Sipperley, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Thank you for the lovely words about Small Hope, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. With the relaxing and friendly atmosphere it is easy to make great friends. We would love to have back with us sometime soon!
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had a fantastic stay in Small Hope Bay Lodge. My wife and I traveled with our 3 years old son. We will come back, most likely with other family members!
The atmosphere at Small Hope Bay is unique and facilitates contacts between guests. We instantly felt very comfortable, relaxed and met great people and families who rapidly became friends.
We are both divers. The lodge offered baby-sitting during our dives: our son loved it. We enjoyed the diving in Andros - nice wall diving, small wrecks, beautiful coral gardens. We also enjoyed kayaking and sailing on a small catamaran. Our son enjoyed the beach and the company of the other guests' children.
The food (buffet) was outstanding. Young children have dinner together under the supervision of experienced and friendly baby-sitters. The staff was very kind and professional.
The room were simple but clean. Don't expect anything fancy. But our room door was essentially opening on the beach.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review. We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay. The relaxed and friendly atmosphere is one of my favorites aspects of Small Hope as well. We are thrilled that Thao had a good time and enjoyed his Easter with us, we hope to see you all back on the beach sometime soon!
Ismay,Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Step back to the sixties. Owner Jeff,his staff,and wait staff leave no stone untouched so you can eat,relax drink,visit,swim, dive, fish etc. Unique in its setting,ambience,and beauty given its closeness to Eastern U.S. Wonderful meals and specialty drinks. Can't wait to return. Barb&Stan from Montana

Room Tip: bring shampoo, bug spray and hair dryer
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
I think the title of this review says it all. We loved having you and your whole group stay with us. I am happy you all got to enjoy all the things that make Small Hope special. We hope to see you all back again for some more Black Monkeys! Thanks for taking the time to write a review Barb and Stan!

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!