“Bahama Blues” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
canada
“Bahama Blues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Great food. Constant room mix ups. Nice beach but small and windy. Friendly staff . Casino not so hot. Restaurants ok. Not much to see in Freeport. Lots of closed shops. Nice marina and fishing good. Water sports available but expensive. Not a great place for kids. Probably won,t go back.great pool, just too! Cold to go in No people at pool bar. Give it a 3 out of 5. Cheers!

Room Tip: Get room on 3 rd floor, west wing. Great view of beach and ocean
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino resort from February 19-26th. We were looking forward to our stay as we had booked a plunge pool room and upgraded to the Diamond Club. Upon our arrival we were told to leave our luggage and check in. As Diamond Club members we entered the club and handed our reservation to them. We were told to have a seat which we did. We were asked to fill out some forms and were given bracelets and our room keys. The only information we were given was that as Diamond Club members we would receive a 10% discount at the spa and can book our a la carte restaurants with them. We got our luggage and made our way to our room asking for directions. Our room was not what we had asked for. We had requested a King bed and received two queens. Went back to the Diamond Club to ask about a King size bed and Sophie explained in great detail that it was our agents fault we did not receive a King and that we would need to complain to our agent. Well after she went on for a while I stopped her and said, I am the agent and I know what I booked. Suddenly she changed her tune and said, well we cannot guarantee a King but, we can push the two queens together. We said no to that and asked to be placed in the next available King bed room. We used our plunge pool that evening and really enjoyed it. The next morning we went to check on the room change and were told there were no King's available. That evening when we went to use our plunge pool again it was not working and we called to have someone come by and take a look. No one showed up. We called the next day and no one showed up. Went back to the Diamond Club to ask for another room as the plunge pool was no longer working. Kendal said it would be taken care of. It was not. We gave up on asking for any kind of help from them and went to the front desk still nothing was done. We go to Costumer Service desk still nothing. They would make up excuses and never help you out. Finally day 4 I ask for the Manager. We dealt with Lorna who assured us things would be straighten out. Well, they never were and as you can guess we were never given another room. She did send us an apology letter along with a bottle of wine and a cheese and fruit plate on Day 5. She then said we would receive a refund from Sunwing for the upgraded room we did NOT received during our stay. As for the room itself during our stay the bathroom was dirty and so were the throw pillows on the bed. We rarely had hot water and towels. We received a call on the second night at 12:30am from the front desk saying there was a noise complaint. We were sleeping. Asked what their policy was on handling noise complaints. Do you actually investigate? Was told they would look into it. We had maintenance show up at our door on three different occasions to fix things like the TV, water leak... but we never asked nor had those issues. As for the restaurants at the resort the buffet was not very good. It was always difficult to find someone to help you or even have utensils, cream for coffee or even a napkin. The Italian restaurant was okay but, not great. We ate mostly at the Steak House and Japanese restaurant. The Steak House was very good but, service was slow. You could wait up to one hour to receive your entree. The Japanese restaurant put on a good show cooking in front of you and the food was good. We went on one tour during our stay and that was to the National Park/Caves and the beach. It was okay and really a waste of time. Our tour bus driver actually left two people behind and had to return to get them! The one positive thing I can say about this resort is the beach (Diamond Club area). We received the BEST service by the bartender Glen. He always made sure you had everything we needed and held a Cabana for us each morning along with beach towels. Thank you again Glen for all you did to ensure our Beach experience was the best. It is just too bad that the other staff members at this resort do NOT have the same work ethics as you do.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I went on our first trip together to this resort Feb 21st -27th. We had a fabulous time as did the rest of our group. I have nothing to complain about, the food was great and yes there were some long lines. But hey, we were on vacation and had no where to go. So we made conversations with strangers who turned out to be people we saw and talked to often. This is not a large resort I believe it housed about 400 ish. It used to be a Holiday inn and then sat vacant for a few years and is now a memories resort. It's working out the problem areas I'm sure! The wifi throughout the resort was a hit and miss, but i'm not complaining it was free and I facetimed (video chatted) with my sister in Ontario when I was in the ocean! The employees/Bahamians are fantastic people with big hearts who try their best to make you happy. Yes some of the furniture is stained and ripped ( but they clean them often as my husband and I witnessed) but these things happen as it is a "family" resort. We saw kids jumping on the furniture eating ice cream and donuts, which by the way you get at Beans cafe! Awesome place and we were there every day getting our caffeine and treat fix. The washrooms may be different in other rooms, I'm not too sure. Ours was average and not two people can fit in, but excuse me i'm not having a party in there and I'm not vacationing in there either. Oh and when you're in the shower take a look up and see that shiny metal thing on the wall, well guess what, it is a little clothesline to dry your swim suits. I didn't bother showering in the mornings for the most part as I was hitting the beach after breakfast, but when we did the water was warm. If you shower in the afternoon, it was very hot. The bed was comfortable and I slept well, we were had the ocean view room with a balcony 2102 and were very happy. Yes the balcony only fits 2 chairs and a small table, perfect for our 10 mins out there, as we were on the beach or poolside most of the time. I didn't travel to the Bahamas to sit in my room and nit pic the resort. I would not recommend upgrading to diamond club, didn't seem that special to us. From what we saw it was perfect for loners and people who wanted to be left alone and yes you got your own bartender. But we enjoyed getting up from our lounger and walking 50 feet to the bar. ahhh Fun times! The plunge pools never looked like anyone used them except for the one below us. I felt sad for him, he looked like he had no friends as he just sat there with his drink in his hand watching everyone. Yes check in is not till 3, but I do believe a lot of other hotels are like that. Also keep in mind there are only so many housekeeping staff to clean the rooms. Patients people you're on Bahamian time, so pack your carry on accordingly and sit back and enjoy. Grab a bite to eat, take a walk around the resort, have a drink etc...The people who complain are generally complainers in life. I understand there are some genuine complaints, but some of the people I saw complaining just seemed miserable anyways. All inclusive is food/drink and flight included, the employees are not your slaves. Yes there are a few bars, umm the pool bar, the social bar (outside and fantastic,with maybe 5 bees) I never once saw a fly or any other bug for that matter and if you see one, big deal we have them in Canada too. There's the prop club (about 100 feet away from the pool) and right on the beach, the lounge bar in the hotel and the restaurants also serve alcohol. As for the loungers, yes we were up early and had breakfast, then hit the beach. Yes you have to get there early to get a chair and yes people threw their towels on them to "reserve" them. But the rule is, you can't reserve them for hours and not show up. One hour is the max and I can tell you, our group moved few towels and the people reserving never even showed up. So if you see a spot after an hour and no one is there, help yourself!! The Bahamians walking the beach selling jewelry are only trying to make a living, say no nicely and they walk away. We made friends with them and exchanged pleasantries every day. Miss Chloe is a very sweet lady and we ended up buying a few things from her! We also parasailed and did the banana boat and LOVED every minute of it. If you don't want to do any of those things, just say "no Thank you" As for the timeshare people in the lobby, again just say "no thank you" Some people were so rude and it's not necessary, it's their livelihood just as the rest of us have jobs of our own. The bartending staff are more than happy to make you something to drink if you don't know what to have. We tried alot and I think the slushy mango margaritas were my favorite! The Steakhouse is by far the favorite of ours and went twice during our stay. First time was a long wait, but there were 16 of us in our group. The second time my husband and I ventured off alone and were seated within the hour and fed! Japanese is by reservation at the front desk, I went about 9:30 am and booked for 6pm it was fantastic! Italian was good but very windy out that night. Prop club is awesome and had the prop burger a few times for lunch. Buffet was our go to place for most of the meals and was never disappointed. I do have to say they need to work on keeping the food stocked in the buffet as it would run out fast and we were left waiting for more. But all in all was enjoyable and the staff were fun, Nathan is awesome and tried his very best to make us all laugh and have fun! Thanks for the Smashing watermelon drink Nate it was yummy!
If you're looking for a luxury, 5 star hotel, then this is not for you and don't even bother. If you're looking for a place to go to relax and enjoy simplicity then go here. Would I go here again, ABSOLUTELY! Piece of advice, try not compare your travels as you just may be disappointed! It's all about diversity, different cultures and lifestyles. I tanned, I ate, I drank and met some new friends and made great memories!

Room Tip: Ocean view with balcony 2102 is by far the best room. East side near the Prop Club
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
GBahamaGM, General Manager at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Lana M,

Thank you for travelling to Memories Grand Bahama for your vacation holiday. It is a pleasure to read that you took your vacation experience to another level. You make creating lasting memories a walk in the park. Your comments about the wifi has been reported and we are looking into that.

The entire team will be glad to know the wonderful comments you said, as words like yours encourages us to continue to work hard to supply the best possible guest satisfaction.

We hope to see you and your husband again in the near future creating more "Memories"!

Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at this resort! The food was absolutely awesome with the exception of the Italian restaurant. Wifi worked great. The beach was clean and inviting, and pool was well kept. The rooms were clean and met our needs. The resort staff were kind and friendly; special thanks to Anton and Marie at the Prop Club! Their welcoming smiles kept us coming back each night to say hello :) Not a huge nightlife scene, but a pretty fun place regardless. The entertainment crew was allot of fun as well! We would definitely recommend this resort!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Shera-Lee L,

I would like to that you and your friends for spending your vacation holiday with us. Expressing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community is great appreciated. I am glad that our beach and facilities met your overall expectations.

I will pass your kudos on to Anton and Marie at the Prop Club as they gave you exceptional service. Also, thanks for recommending us and we hope that you will return in the near future to have another awesome all-inclusive vacation experience.

Sydney, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I read with some concern the negative reviews but also wanted to read the positive reviews!! I have to say our stay was excellent...it was relaxing, service was excellent, the beach magnificent and lots of amazing food!! We were very happy about our room although we had a small bathroom... very little time was spent in our room because we were busy walking the beach, shopping in the market (wonderful market), going on excursions, and relaxing on our beach chairs...the temperatures were not as hot as other Caribbean islands, but we were not looking for stifling heat....rather we enjoyed beautiful sunshine with lovely ocean breezes...all in all a wonderful stay! We would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: higher floors with or without balconies give you a pretty good view of the ocean!
Dear 1957beachgirl,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for staying with us and for writing a review to share with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad that you experienced Memories Grand Bahama for yourself and had an excellent stay with excellent service.

When you return please know that you will have us at your disposal for anything you may need!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I traveled to the Bahamas Feb. 21-28/15. Let me start out by saying this was by far the best trip we have both ever been on! The weather was always beautiful and hot but comfortable in the evenings. The resort was fantastic, the people even better! Every single person we met on this island was incredibly friendly and very helpful. We never ate at any of the restaurants on the resort besides the buffet but every meal we had was very good. The seafood night was incredible! The other nights we visited local restaurants that were also very good. The biggest thing is keeping an open mind. We were very lucky to meet an incredible guy from the island who took work off for us one day and drove us around everywhere and showed us everything. The best experience ever! The island is beautiful and if you get a chance take someone up on a offer to tour around. You will never fell unsafe and will have a blast. The crime rate on the island is 3% including everything. Compared to Nassau we met locals that said the crime is terrible there and they are even scared to venture over to Nassau. Our biggest pet peeve was seeing some very rude tourists. I see people complain about this resort saying the service was terrible and what not. You get treated how you treat others. If your ignorant and treat the locals and staff like they are lower then you, you will get it in return. They are people too and just because they are serving you does not mean you can ignorant and demand everything. Be polite and friendly. I wanted to smack a couple tourists hearing them talk to bartenders like they were stupid. But on to my next points, the room was beautiful. We had no problem getting our room with one king size bed and a balcony. We spent many mornings and evenings sitting on our balcony enjoying paradise! The ocean and beach were breathtaking, white sand and beautiful blue water. We had no issues with the time share people. Only one lady set up in the lobby who asked us once if we were interested and when we said no thank you, she never bothered us again. House keeping was on top of everything every day. We actually felt bad a few days where we were feeling a little rough and our house keeper would stop by, we wouldnt be ready she would say no problem and would always come back later. So we made sure to leave her a tip. I saw another review where a man was upset how male staff would call his wife baby. Dont be so uptight! It's how they speak and call all lovely ladies baby, infact the woman would call my boyfriend the same thing. Why waste your time being upset over that. The fish fry is a must! how ever we experienced it a little better with our local friend and went over to the local side Rather then staying on the tourist side. Another must try is Conch! Conch salad is amazing and so is grilled Conch. Overall this was a much needed vacation with lots of quality time, many laughs, inside jokes, incredible memories and forever friends. Thanks again Memories and all the new people we met for making this a trip of a lifetime!

Room Tip: Stop complaining and enjoy! your vacation is what you make of it!
Dear Kylee J,

I would like to thank you and your boyfriend for staying with us at Memories Grand Bahama. Knowing that you had an amazing vacation, lets us know that we are on the right track to supply the best possible vacation experience to our valued guests.

We are happy to know that you experienced other parts of the Island of Grand Bahama and that you enjoyed our breathtaking beach.

We invite you to return next year creating more laughs, inside jokes and incredible memories!

Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We loved this property, the people, the food, the service......all great. Our only negative comments would be - to heat pool, to enlarge bathrooms, and to have queen and/or king beds. Rooms were older but clean, people were very friendly, food awesome.....we lucked out and had wonderful weather. Loved the Diamond Club.....would do it all again

Room Tip: We loved our ground floor, plunge pool room and the noise did not bother us, close the door and turn...
Dear Kim B,

Thank you for staying with us at Memories Grand Bahama. I am glad that you had a wonderful holiday experience and thanks for sharing it with the TripAdvisor community.

We apologize about any inconvience you may have had. I want to assure you that all supervisors have been informed about the issues you faced and we are already fine tuning the daily hotel operation accordingly.

We hope to see you again in the near future to have another wonderful vacation holiday!

Memories Grand Bahama

Been to Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort? Share your experiences!