“Good place” 3 of 5 stars

1 Sea Horse Lane, Freeport F42500, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
“Good place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Fairly new resort that opened early 2014. Good value for the money if traveling with kids. Specialty restaurant hard to get reservations. Japanese restaurant is the hardest. Good food

Overall we had a god time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GBahamaGM, General Manager at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Ricardo J
I am happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and I thank you for your valuable comments in regards to the good food.

We all look forward to welcome you and your family to Memories Grand Bahama in the near future.

Gabriel Varela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Parsippany, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Freeport in the Bahamas. We loved it and would love to go back! The beach is clean and the ocean is clear. The area is also very safe. The resort is very family-friendly. Free wi-fi throughout - gotta love that! This resort had a coffee shop which we loved! The steakhouse was very good as well. We did not get a chance to go to the Asian restaurant. The buffet had good food, but not much variety. They also had healthy choices like salads, vegetables, and fresh fruits. The pool area is clean. They had yoga and dance lessons by the pool daily. The bars were a good time. The drinks were delicious. All of the staff was very friendly and not pushy (regarding tips). The hotel had a duty free shop right inside as well as a mini gift/convenience shop. I was not crazy about the room, but we spent most of our time on the beach and in the pool anyway. The casino is within walking distance to the resort. It was not that big but it was fun. The steakhouse and Asian restaurant are located inside the casino. We loved the Prop Bar. It had great bar food and drinks. We were able to watch some of the World Cup games here. The marketplace is located across the street and sells souvenirs. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would go back in a heartbeat. The resort was nice and clean, and safe with very friendly staff. Price was a factor in choosing this resort. I was happy with our decision to stay here. I would recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GBahamaGM, General Manager at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Mel J,
I would like to thank you and your boyfriend for spending your vacation holiday with us at Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort. Your comments are truly valuable and we are happy to have served you and supplied an amazing all-inclusive vacation experience. On the other hand I am glad that you enjoyed the Beans Café as well as enjoying the World Cup in the Prop Club with supplying Sports Event Guarantee.

We are happy that you would recommend us to your friends and we invite you to return in the near future!

Norfolk VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My family and I got a great deal for a direct flight so we decided to pack our bags. The hotel check in process was fast accurate and very effective. I asked for a balcony room and was given what I requested. The front staff was very welcoming and warm. We had to wait a little to get to our room, but that was no big deal as we were able to use the hotel while our room was prepared.

The staff at the hotel is amazing, absolutely the kindest people and most accommodating to their guest. The waiters at all the restaurants were very good at what they do; they were understanding and happy to help out. We visited all of the restaurants that were included and the food ranged from good to excellent. Our favorite was the H Steak House near the Casino. The beef steaks were perfectly cooked and were server with great presentation. I highly recommend getting the Conch salad that is sold at the beach near the resort. I wish I found out about it on my first day, I would have eaten it every day.

The room was large with clean and crisp sheets and lots of pillows that my kid loved. We found the room very functional. A flat screen TV and a Bluetooth radio with a charger were included. The counter space was a little small but it fit all we brought and were using at the time. The internet was FREE and FAST!! I mean really, really, really fast. It was good strength signal everywhere. Calls from the room back home were free and local ones as well. This is not something that we have ever come across at any of our Caribbean vacations.

We must say that our son loved the baby sitting service at the resort. Most of the times he did not want to even hang out with us and rather be with the girls at the kids place. The girls that watched the kids are the most kid and hard working girls!!! They play and do activities with the kids all day and at night they are part of the show cast. They are simply Amazing people!! We rented the paddle boat, kayaks, and the catamaran and they were awesome things to try on the clear blue water. Lost my camera in the ocean, bought snorkeling gear and found it the next day.

This is a great resort for the family and parents. The people are safe and friendly, the atmosphere is relaxed, and the accommodations are very comfortable. I would highly recommend this resort to any family that wants to experience the amazing Caribbean and get a chance to relax from the everyday grind.

Thank you so much Memories Resort staff, we will be coming back very soon!
Room 3118

Room Tip: Getting a room that looks at the pool is a good bet for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear JewishRussian,
Firstly, I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us and taking the time to share of your recent experience. Your comments of how warm and accommodating our team are towards our guests tells us that we are on the right track.

I am glad to read that the team in the Kids Club made a difference during your family’s stay with us. Be sure that they will be recognized personally by me.

We look forward to serve you and your family again in the future.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visited over spring break, 27March for one week (family of 7 requiring 3rooms) and there is no way I could have reviewed the property at that time and given it higher than a 2. However I am sure many of the issues are being dealt with, and the resort continually improves. One thing I feel would make a huge impact on the reviews(in a more positive way) are peoples' expectations of their room. I am a travel consultant and have a difficult time selling this resort and telling clients they may or may not get a balcony, depending on availability at time of check in. Doesn't sit well with me. In all fairness, at time of booking, you either pay the additional for room with a balcony or not. Most resorts cannot confirm king or two doubles until check in; so this shouldn't affect reviews.
We chose to go with Diamond Club and enjoyed the padded beach lounges, however this area should be larger for it to work effectively and should be staffed appropriately. Generally, it was quicker to get our own drinks. Why not purchase pads for all of the chaise lounges on the beach? It would be a more enjoyable experience for all and free up the time of the DC servers from hunting down padded chairs and dragging them to the DC area, for actually 'serving'?
Other DC perks, such as the private lounge was a bonus, for premium alcohol, snacks without going to the restaurant. As for getting upgraded amenities, robes, slippers, beach towels in room, never happened. (oh, wait, got one robe after asking on day 4, but that's it)
There were a few exceptional employees. Sophia, in the DC on the beach and the private lounge, what an asset! (hope she is still there) She responded to requests as a representative of any company should with a 'yes, I will see what I can do for you...' rather than the 'that is not possible' which we regularly got. Sonny in the Steak House also knows how to keep his guests happy. Food and service very good there.
Unfortunately breakfasts at Selections were almost daily disappointing. Servers walking to our table without coffee or water? we are here for breakfast, why would you approach a table w/o coffee? Sad selection of fruits. Most days the 3 or 4 fruit bowls were either filled with watermelon, cantaloupe and watermelon or watermelon and cantaloupe. Sometimes honeydew made an appearance. It would be great if the Bella Cucina offered a cont'l breakfast option when the resort is full. What a beautiful setting to enjoy your morning coffee in.
As many have stated, the beach is gorgeous, extending to the right past the resort for quite some distance. And the kids club, although our daughters didn't stay in the club they did enjoy the great waterpark. This is a definite asset!
We did enjoy our vacay because of who we shared it with but would have to see substantial improvements before returning. I will sell the resort to clients but making sure they are aware of the short comings and also not to have unrealistic expectations!
BTW, Grand Bahamas is an awesome, safe, friendly destination. Many conveniences for Canadians in particular, with a Royal Bank across the street at the Grand Lucayan Market. Upscale shops to the usual souvenirs, handmade straw bags and jewelry.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear travelbeth1,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing with the TripAdvisor community of your stay in March. Your observations and constructive criticism are truly important to us as it helps us to improve upon our products and services. Your comments about Sonny is definitely true and I am glad that you found the food and service to be to your likings in the H’ Steak House.

We all look forward to welcome you Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went on vacation to Memories Grand Bahama Beach, and it was absolutely wonderful! The hotel was great! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach was absolutely gorgeous, and the pool was great to lounge by. My friend and I booked our trip through Vacation Express. We had a direct flight to and from Freeport with Bahamas Air. We also booked the connections to take us to and from the hotel. This worked out great for us, with the exception of standing in line for nearly an hour to check our luggage when we were leaving Freeport. Something was happening with the computers at the counter, I believe. Overall, I would recommend booking trips through Vacation Express. They have great customer service.

One thing to note about Memories and probably traveling to Freeport in general. We traveled in late June, and the resort was nice and quiet. To my friend and I, it was the perfect amount of guests. We also got a seat by the pool and on the beach. We asked some of the staff about their busy season, and they said it was February to April, and I believe July to September. June is obviously a great time to go, and I'll be planning my trips there again during that time of the year.

Highlights from my trip that I would suggest to others:
1. Go to the fish fry on Wednesday night. It's outside of the hotel, so you'll either have to take a cap or a personal shuttle. Talk with the concierge about it. It's a local event that takes place every Wednesday night, but lots of tourists go. There are actually two areas for the fish fry, the front and back. The front is where all the tourist are, and the back is where all the locals are. We stayed up front and enjoyed some fresh fish and couch fritters.

2. Drink several Bahama Mommas, Rum punches, and fruit punches. I think the fruit punch in the Bahamas is some of the best fruit punch I've ever had. When you mix it with rum and other alcohol, it's even better!

3. Try all the restaurants on the property at least once to say you've tried everything. I enjoyed my meals at all the restaurants, but especially enjoyed the sushi at the Japanese restaurant and everything at the buffet inside the hotel. I loved the various options each day for lunch. I will say that I wasn't as impressed with the steakhouse as I'd hope I'd be. It was good, but not as good as everyone kept saying.

4. Take water aerobics! I had a lot of fun taking water aerobics under the activity staff, Antone and Malik. They were a lot of fun, and I truly felt like I had a workout.

5. Visit the Port Lucaya. It's across the street, and I only discovered it like 2 days before my trip was about to end. They have lots of shops and restaurants over there, as well as locals selling their hand crafted merchandise. They also have a little square there with live entertainment in the evenings. We heard some pretty great bands there on Friday and Saturday night.

While I had an amazing stay, and I certainly plan to return, I do have a few suggestions to the hotel.
My suggestions are:
1. Add one food option that's 24 hours. Cruise ships have a pizza bar. I think this could be a great option for Memories.

2. Cover the food at the pool bar with food covers instead of plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil. The food covers, like those in the sports bar, will ensure the birds don't get away with all the wonderful food your cooks prepared.

3. Put hand sanitizer stations up near all food spots. It will be helpful if folks could just grab some hand sanitizer before grabbing their food from the bar.

For anyone visiting Memories, you will love it. it's super relaxing, especially in late June. We did a Wednesday to Sunday stay, and it was perfect. I think most of the guest started to arrive Saturday and Sunday, so the hotel started to get busy. We left just in time.

I would strongly recommend Memories to others. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear NorlediaM,
I am happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and I thank you for your valuable suggestions which are being seriously considered as it helps us to improve our products and services.

I am glad that you strongly recommends us and we hope that you return to Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort in the near future!

Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at Memories for a whole week with my wife on our honeymoon. We booked a room with a king bed and were given a room with two beds. We called down and asked what was going on and we were told the were out of king bed rooms. We booked an ocean-view king bed room and were given a stunning roof view room with a huge wet spot on the floor and two beds. The next night we were able to move to a room with a better view and a dry floor but still two beds for the rest of our stay. We booked the room directly though Memories more than six months in advance so you figure they could at least count how many rooms they have available but apparently they can't. Outside of that it was a pretty good time. The staff was nice and helpful and the food was pretty good at all of the included restaurants. Our bartenders never let our drinks run dry which is always nice. The beach was great and pool with swim up bar was fun too. So outside of the room situation the stay was pretty nice. We were just angry that we paid so much money for an all-inclusive that couldn't even give us the room we booked on our honeymoon and offer us no discount or anything for the screw up.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Thunder31,
Thank you for taking the time to address your recent experience at our resort.
We have complimentary packages for honeymooners which include a romantic dinner on the beach and a day at the spa. Our wedding department takes pride in supplying the best possible experience to our guests. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations and I would very much like to talk to you over the phone.
Please be so kind to send me an email to infograndbahama@memoriesresorts.com with your contact information.

I look forward to hear from you soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We booked our honeymoon here in July 2014 (yes hurricane season). It was comparable to other all Inclusives like sandals but far cheaper! It was difficult to even find one in the Bahamas.

On arrival, we were greeted by Gilbert and two signature Memories cocktails. We got there around 11:30 a.m. and our room wasn't ready until 3:00 p.m. The hotel held our luggage so we could eat lunch at the buffet. I slept on the beach under an umbrella while we waited.

~PROS~
The staff here was very nice, pleasant, and could't do enough for you.

Our room was located pretty far from the lobby and there was no easy way to get there really. It was on the first floor #1026. It was comfortable and clean. A/C worked great! And we had paid extra for a "plunge pool room" which was our own personal hot tub out back through the sliding glass door, completely worth the upgrade.
The room overlooked the bar/pool area and the ocean was probably 100 yards away roughly.

There were 5 restaurant options. I have to say that H Steak House has the BEST STEAK EVER. Sonny is the manager, very cool guy. Never needed to wait to eat there nor did we need reservations. We ate there 4/5 nights. It doesn't open until 6 pm and is closed one day a week which changes every week. The tenderloin was amazing as was the Chocolate Pave.
We wanted to try the hibachi but you had to wake up at 6:30 a.m. to be in line at the lobby desk on the day you wanted to eat there to TRY and get a reservation. It was not that important to us to go through the hassle.
The Selections buffet was great for breakfast but was the same for lunch and dinner every single day.
The prop club was great because it was open from 12 p.m. through 2 a.m. where as every other place had limited hours. Calamari from here was great! Chicken tenders great! Yummy finger foods for the beach.
The Italian place was ok. Foods sit outside with plastic wrap over them. It is nice to eat overlooking the ocean but didn't care for the food here.

The bars here do not serve liquor until noon. Not a huge deal breaker but Mimosas are always nice.

Kayaking on the ocean was fun. Water was great. Fish swimming around! Sand was soft and clean. If you have a snorkel bring it! Things were expensive here so we didn't buy any. Paddle boarding was fun to try.

Pools were great, Large, not too crowded. But they closed at 7 p.m. No one said anything if you were still in though.

Jetskis, parasailing, and boat tours are available for a fee. We didn't do them.
The umbrellas, towels, and lounge chair provided were super nice and comfy. Pools were nice and not overly crowded. Swim up bar was convenient.

They were offering free International calls when we stayed which was great!! Could call and check in if needed without using cell phones which would have cost a fortune. Free WI-FI was great too! We didn't always get it in our room though being that it was really far to the one side of the resort.

~CONS~
We thought this was a new resort. It is a partially renovated part of what used to be the Grand Lucayan which is right next door. The photos on their facebook page of food options were not of the buffet. They were from the grand opening so don't get your hopes up of lots of selections.

During the first 5 minutes of arriving, we were pulled over to sign up for a "presentation of the resort for 90 minutes" the following morning. In exchange for our time, we were given a free vacation voucher. Sounds too good to be true because well...it is. We figured it was a time share scam or something but thought at least we get a vacation! No. The 90 minutes starts after you eat their breakfast. So at 9 we ate. At 10 they started. It was a way to PRE PAY for vacations at one of the resorts ( 5 of 8 are located in Cuba where U.S. citizens are not welcome) It only covered the hotel part, not flights or food packages. At the end, they give you some un-affordable amount that it costs to pay for 15 -30 years worth of trips expecting you to put a hefty down payment down while you're there. And the kicker...the vacation voucher which seems like a lot, barely covers one night at their other resorts. So we won't even be using that.

We really wanted to try the hibachi place. You can only make reservations for it on the day you want to eat there...at 6:30 a.m. you need to be in the lobby standing in line to try to get in. We didn't bother so we didn't eat there.

You can eat sushi there without a reservation so we really excited to try that the first night. It was not the best sushi and the seafood used in the rolls still had some shells in it. Yuck. And way too much rice.

Room service- If this is high on your list as a priority this may not be your place. It has limited hours, and very very limited options. Breakfast is barely worth getting. This place serves lunch meat and cheese FOR EVERYTHING. It is on the buffet always, it is on the room service menu as "cold cuts" and outside at the Italian place. We ordered coffee one night and was served a pot of cold coffee. When they replaced it for us, the new pot was old burnt coffee. Don't bother with the room service- it is not worth the wait.

Family Friendly- This resort has "shows" every night at 9 p.m. outside. Sounded great..until we realized the shows were for children. It is very family friendly with lots of things for kids to do.

Overall, it is a great place to stay on a budget for an All Inclusive. It is probably better when booking January through May so the weather is nicer and the market place is open. I would recommend it but wouldn't stay here again only because there are so many other places to see. It stormed every day for at least a few HOURS but it was to be expected as it is the off season.

Room Tip: The rooms with the private plunge pools are super convenient to the bar outside and over look the ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GBahamaGM, General Manager at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Stephanie K,
I would like to thank you for staying with us at Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort. Also, thank you for your comments about the H’ Steak House and the Nagano Japanese restaurants.
Your feedback is truly important to us as it helps us to improve upon our products and services. With that said same day reservations for the Teppanyaki at the Nagano will now be from 9:00 am.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Gabriel Varela

Been to Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort? Share your experiences!