“Great all inclusive vacation! I will return!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 45%
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great all inclusive vacation! I will return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went on vacation to Memories Grand Bahama Beach, and it was absolutely wonderful! The hotel was great! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach was absolutely gorgeous, and the pool was great to lounge by. My friend and I booked our trip through Vacation Express. We had a direct flight to and from Freeport with Bahamas Air. We also booked the connections to take us to and from the hotel. This worked out great for us, with the exception of standing in line for nearly an hour to check our luggage when we were leaving Freeport. Something was happening with the computers at the counter, I believe. Overall, I would recommend booking trips through Vacation Express. They have great customer service.

One thing to note about Memories and probably traveling to Freeport in general. We traveled in late June, and the resort was nice and quiet. To my friend and I, it was the perfect amount of guests. We also got a seat by the pool and on the beach. We asked some of the staff about their busy season, and they said it was February to April, and I believe July to September. June is obviously a great time to go, and I'll be planning my trips there again during that time of the year.

Highlights from my trip that I would suggest to others:
1. Go to the fish fry on Wednesday night. It's outside of the hotel, so you'll either have to take a cap or a personal shuttle. Talk with the concierge about it. It's a local event that takes place every Wednesday night, but lots of tourists go. There are actually two areas for the fish fry, the front and back. The front is where all the tourist are, and the back is where all the locals are. We stayed up front and enjoyed some fresh fish and couch fritters.

2. Drink several Bahama Mommas, Rum punches, and fruit punches. I think the fruit punch in the Bahamas is some of the best fruit punch I've ever had. When you mix it with rum and other alcohol, it's even better!

3. Try all the restaurants on the property at least once to say you've tried everything. I enjoyed my meals at all the restaurants, but especially enjoyed the sushi at the Japanese restaurant and everything at the buffet inside the hotel. I loved the various options each day for lunch. I will say that I wasn't as impressed with the steakhouse as I'd hope I'd be. It was good, but not as good as everyone kept saying.

4. Take water aerobics! I had a lot of fun taking water aerobics under the activity staff, Antone and Malik. They were a lot of fun, and I truly felt like I had a workout.

5. Visit the Port Lucaya. It's across the street, and I only discovered it like 2 days before my trip was about to end. They have lots of shops and restaurants over there, as well as locals selling their hand crafted merchandise. They also have a little square there with live entertainment in the evenings. We heard some pretty great bands there on Friday and Saturday night.

While I had an amazing stay, and I certainly plan to return, I do have a few suggestions to the hotel.
My suggestions are:
1. Add one food option that's 24 hours. Cruise ships have a pizza bar. I think this could be a great option for Memories.

2. Cover the food at the pool bar with food covers instead of plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil. The food covers, like those in the sports bar, will ensure the birds don't get away with all the wonderful food your cooks prepared.

3. Put hand sanitizer stations up near all food spots. It will be helpful if folks could just grab some hand sanitizer before grabbing their food from the bar.

For anyone visiting Memories, you will love it. it's super relaxing, especially in late June. We did a Wednesday to Sunday stay, and it was perfect. I think most of the guest started to arrive Saturday and Sunday, so the hotel started to get busy. We left just in time.

I would strongly recommend Memories to others. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GBahamaGM, General Manager at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear NorlediaM,
I am happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and I thank you for your valuable suggestions which are being seriously considered as it helps us to improve our products and services.

I am glad that you strongly recommends us and we hope that you return to Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort in the near future!

Gabriel Varela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at Memories for a whole week with my wife on our honeymoon. We booked a room with a king bed and were given a room with two beds. We called down and asked what was going on and we were told the were out of king bed rooms. We booked an ocean-view king bed room and were given a stunning roof view room with a huge wet spot on the floor and two beds. The next night we were able to move to a room with a better view and a dry floor but still two beds for the rest of our stay. We booked the room directly though Memories more than six months in advance so you figure they could at least count how many rooms they have available but apparently they can't. Outside of that it was a pretty good time. The staff was nice and helpful and the food was pretty good at all of the included restaurants. Our bartenders never let our drinks run dry which is always nice. The beach was great and pool with swim up bar was fun too. So outside of the room situation the stay was pretty nice. We were just angry that we paid so much money for an all-inclusive that couldn't even give us the room we booked on our honeymoon and offer us no discount or anything for the screw up.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Thunder31,
Thank you for taking the time to address your recent experience at our resort.
We have complimentary packages for honeymooners which include a romantic dinner on the beach and a day at the spa. Our wedding department takes pride in supplying the best possible experience to our guests. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations and I would very much like to talk to you over the phone.
Please be so kind to send me an email to infograndbahama@memoriesresorts.com with your contact information.

I look forward to hear from you soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We booked our honeymoon here in July 2014 (yes hurricane season). It was comparable to other all Inclusives like sandals but far cheaper! It was difficult to even find one in the Bahamas.

On arrival, we were greeted by Gilbert and two signature Memories cocktails. We got there around 11:30 a.m. and our room wasn't ready until 3:00 p.m. The hotel held our luggage so we could eat lunch at the buffet. I slept on the beach under an umbrella while we waited.

~PROS~
The staff here was very nice, pleasant, and could't do enough for you.

Our room was located pretty far from the lobby and there was no easy way to get there really. It was on the first floor #1026. It was comfortable and clean. A/C worked great! And we had paid extra for a "plunge pool room" which was our own personal hot tub out back through the sliding glass door, completely worth the upgrade.
The room overlooked the bar/pool area and the ocean was probably 100 yards away roughly.

There were 5 restaurant options. I have to say that H Steak House has the BEST STEAK EVER. Sonny is the manager, very cool guy. Never needed to wait to eat there nor did we need reservations. We ate there 4/5 nights. It doesn't open until 6 pm and is closed one day a week which changes every week. The tenderloin was amazing as was the Chocolate Pave.
We wanted to try the hibachi but you had to wake up at 6:30 a.m. to be in line at the lobby desk on the day you wanted to eat there to TRY and get a reservation. It was not that important to us to go through the hassle.
The Selections buffet was great for breakfast but was the same for lunch and dinner every single day.
The prop club was great because it was open from 12 p.m. through 2 a.m. where as every other place had limited hours. Calamari from here was great! Chicken tenders great! Yummy finger foods for the beach.
The Italian place was ok. Foods sit outside with plastic wrap over them. It is nice to eat overlooking the ocean but didn't care for the food here.

The bars here do not serve liquor until noon. Not a huge deal breaker but Mimosas are always nice.

Kayaking on the ocean was fun. Water was great. Fish swimming around! Sand was soft and clean. If you have a snorkel bring it! Things were expensive here so we didn't buy any. Paddle boarding was fun to try.

Pools were great, Large, not too crowded. But they closed at 7 p.m. No one said anything if you were still in though.

Jetskis, parasailing, and boat tours are available for a fee. We didn't do them.
The umbrellas, towels, and lounge chair provided were super nice and comfy. Pools were nice and not overly crowded. Swim up bar was convenient.

They were offering free International calls when we stayed which was great!! Could call and check in if needed without using cell phones which would have cost a fortune. Free WI-FI was great too! We didn't always get it in our room though being that it was really far to the one side of the resort.

~CONS~
We thought this was a new resort. It is a partially renovated part of what used to be the Grand Lucayan which is right next door. The photos on their facebook page of food options were not of the buffet. They were from the grand opening so don't get your hopes up of lots of selections.

During the first 5 minutes of arriving, we were pulled over to sign up for a "presentation of the resort for 90 minutes" the following morning. In exchange for our time, we were given a free vacation voucher. Sounds too good to be true because well...it is. We figured it was a time share scam or something but thought at least we get a vacation! No. The 90 minutes starts after you eat their breakfast. So at 9 we ate. At 10 they started. It was a way to PRE PAY for vacations at one of the resorts ( 5 of 8 are located in Cuba where U.S. citizens are not welcome) It only covered the hotel part, not flights or food packages. At the end, they give you some un-affordable amount that it costs to pay for 15 -30 years worth of trips expecting you to put a hefty down payment down while you're there. And the kicker...the vacation voucher which seems like a lot, barely covers one night at their other resorts. So we won't even be using that.

We really wanted to try the hibachi place. You can only make reservations for it on the day you want to eat there...at 6:30 a.m. you need to be in the lobby standing in line to try to get in. We didn't bother so we didn't eat there.

You can eat sushi there without a reservation so we really excited to try that the first night. It was not the best sushi and the seafood used in the rolls still had some shells in it. Yuck. And way too much rice.

Room service- If this is high on your list as a priority this may not be your place. It has limited hours, and very very limited options. Breakfast is barely worth getting. This place serves lunch meat and cheese FOR EVERYTHING. It is on the buffet always, it is on the room service menu as "cold cuts" and outside at the Italian place. We ordered coffee one night and was served a pot of cold coffee. When they replaced it for us, the new pot was old burnt coffee. Don't bother with the room service- it is not worth the wait.

Family Friendly- This resort has "shows" every night at 9 p.m. outside. Sounded great..until we realized the shows were for children. It is very family friendly with lots of things for kids to do.

Overall, it is a great place to stay on a budget for an All Inclusive. It is probably better when booking January through May so the weather is nicer and the market place is open. I would recommend it but wouldn't stay here again only because there are so many other places to see. It stormed every day for at least a few HOURS but it was to be expected as it is the off season.

Room Tip: The rooms with the private plunge pools are super convenient to the bar outside and over look the ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GBahamaGM, General Manager at Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Stephanie K,
I would like to thank you for staying with us at Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort. Also, thank you for your comments about the H’ Steak House and the Nagano Japanese restaurants.
Your feedback is truly important to us as it helps us to improve upon our products and services. With that said same day reservations for the Teppanyaki at the Nagano will now be from 9:00 am.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Had a great time in the Bahamas (Memories hotel), great food, people are very friendly!!!! Having traveled to DR, Mexico, Cuba and Jamaica I would rate this resort package a solid 4 to 4.5.

Good stuff
-Beans café, best coffee and ice cream and fresh donuts...yum...
-very friendly staff including front desk! (They make a point of wanting you to come back)
-very good service, never a long wait in restaurants for seating or food service
- Sushi restaurant - Excellent!
- Restaurant by the beach "Prop Club" - very good
- Steakhouse & Japanese steakhouse - very good
- Buffet was average but VERY CLEAN
-beautiful long beach
-rooms are current and very clean
-very good food in all but the Italian restaurant
-shopping market across the street (for cheap and expensive stuff) nice to walk around at night
-glass boat tour amazing (got to see sharks in the ocean)
- very clean pools and nice resort layout (not too much walking)
- Lots of Security

bad stuff
- Village tour, beach & snorkeling excursion was very disappointing and expensive. Weather was bad for snorkeling, event should have been cancelled or rescheduled. Be warned in poor weather it is dangerous to swim a quarter mile in rough water to the deadmans reef. What puzzled me was the excursion was marketed to beginners - even after we got to excursion.
- Italian restaurant "open buffet" outside too many flies and birds...should be inside...

Aldo & Anna

Room Tip: try to get a balcony with your room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Aldo & Anna,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review to share with the Tripadvisor community of your recent stay. I am glad to know that this vacation was one of the best vactions you have had. Your comments about our team truly makes us smile as it encourages us to continue to work hard to supply an amazing all-inclusive vacation experience.

Also, thank you for your feedback in regards to the Bella Cucina restaurant . Be sure that all supervisors have been informed about the issues you faced and we are already fine tuning the daily hotel operation accordingly.

We all look forward to welcome you to Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

First of all the resort it is not 4 1/2 stars as they claim, I'd give them 2and 1/2 stars. Food was not good and it was approximately the same recipes everyday. Fish was not fresh and poor quality of cooking. The most popular food for people to eat was hotdogs, hamburgers and pizzas.....at the desert and fruit area you could not pick anything to eat, same horrible sweets everyday and same fruits....sometime I thought they gave us the same food from the other day or 2 days ago....
The room had no balcony(I have not seen a resort with no-balcony room) and we had to pay $360 extra to upgrade to one with balcony.
The power went off several times and for long period...pretending that they were repairing things but we had power off in the middle of the night as well when I don't thing it was because of the repair.
The wi-fi it was not all the time throughout the resort, especially on the beach most of the time there was no internet connection....sometime even in the room we had no internet.
In the morning to get an umbrella and chair in the beach you had to pay beach boys to do it for you otherwise you'd burn yourself under sun all day...or we had to get up very early morning, like 6:60 - 7 am to secure one for ourselves.
Customer service was poor and I believe that the management did not care about it...they were not friendly unless they received some tips....you had to tip for a smile.....maybe they are not happy with the management or salaries but it is not guest's fault, we paid a great deal amount for that vacation.
Room services lacked things everyday...I had to find cards on the hallway to get some towels, shampoos...or other necessities myself, otherwise you'd wait forever to get a towel...or something that you needed.
Entertainment , oh my God...the most joke one that we ever seen. The entertainment crew was in charge for the shows and they are not professionals at all, they can not handle shows or dancing.....
When you arrive some ladies from the lobby attract you to give some invitations with some free things (all lies because they just give you an invitation to the STEAK HOUSE that you can go yourself for free anyway) to convince you to go the next day for their presentation where they present how "wonderful" is to vacate at Memories...People don't go, you just waste 3 or 4 hours from your beach day for nothing.
So what did the resort have satisfactory: the beach and water that God gave them and yoga outside everyday. That is all we were happy with.
To conclude, I'd never go back and I don't advice any of my friends to go and wast their vacation.

Room Tip: be careful when you book the hotel because you might end up with no-balcony room and you'll be a...
Dear Ana B
I look forward to hear from you soon.
Wawaka, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

If you're reading this after booking or before, and are a little concerned about some of the shaky reviews, don't worry about it, you'll be just fine. The resort is well managed, some great staff, food is quite good (yes even the buffet), grounds and pools are great, drinks easy to get, and the beach is beautiful.
There is some fact in the negative commentary, but I'd suggest much is isolated and the result of the overall variability that can be expected in visitor experience when staying in a place going through transition... That's the "Almost There" thing. So here's some things to watch for:
- Plumbing- yikes - some problems there, some bad toilets - we got one. After a couple of days of complaining and repair attempts, a very professional and empathetic response from Management took us to a new room where the toilet. When you get your room, be sure to immediately run through a complete testing protocol on said device. If it fails to operate, with a strong whoosh, nicely advise Management that a new room is in order as you want things to start nicely.
On the topic of rooms . . . Bathroom is a little small, but functional, can't really see why it would be a problem, odd thing to complain about. Room itself is nicely, but minimally appointed in a somewhat contemporary fashion. Room AC, fridge, Wifi and satellite tv perform admirably (you should be saying to yourself upon reading this, " K Martha, who gives a xxx about the room, I want beach and bar". Just trying to be thorough, I'll get to the important stuff).
The food. Dido with everyone else; Japanese and Steak are great. When going to the Buffett, ask yourself, "would I expect a perfect casserole in Madagascar?". Of course not. The point is that with these resort buffets, they try to emulate certain foods to the North American pallet, often with mixed results. Go with what's actually cooked in the Bahamas. The roasted and grilled meats (no a hamburger doesn't qualify) seafood, rice, beans, vegetables - this is all freshly prepared and hot and really quite good. Keep the kids in pizza freshly made btw, pasta, delicious fruit and yogurt, and they'll be thrilled while they keep at vacation level nutrition at least. O ya, if you want to try the real native stuff, go to the western border of the beach to Billy Bobs for conche and grouper caught that day. Kind of a nice surprise is the the Sports Bar, where you order from a menu including a great beef and bean sandwich, calamari, chicken, fries and fajitas. Italian buffet is just weird (see my title again). Cafe is excellent for coffee and snacks.
The bars are pretty much everywhere: the beach, the pool, in the pool, and the lobby. Touristy cocktail slurpies are fine I guess, but the local beer is quite good with a slightly European hoppiness, mixed basic drinks are of reasonable quality, and if you look carefully, you'll see and should ask for the relatively decent Dewars or J&B for Scotch.
The beach and pools. I suppose not like Cuba, but, clear light blue waters, very soft white sand, no rocks, seaweed only on windy days and overall, very nice. You'll love it! The pools are well payed out, very clean, with lots of space around the deck to park. Unfortunately, however, the primitive custom of those less civilized amongst us persists; claiming territory in abstention through placing a towel or other object on pool/beach seating. But fear not, times are changing! Just wait 1 hour, if the wayward party doesn't claim their entitled seat, toss the stuff, upon their return just tell them the seat was empty. We'll change the beach world together.
The service. Well, a manager saved us from plumbing adversity quite effectively. I met some incredibly friendly and polite staff. A couple of staff seemed to be inconvenienced by my presence - oddly at the bars. On the whole, service is generally far superior to what you'll experience at home in similar circumstances: friendly greetings, questions answered, responsive, I don't know, this seems to be a subjective thing.
Overall, some fine tuning required, but certainly nothing that would take from a fun, safe, and very enjoyable holiday. Memories has everything that you would expect in an above average resort experience and as this resort develops further, the price will certainly increase, so definitely get in there and enjoy now.

Room Tip: Upper level with balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jack J
I am happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and I thank you for your valuable comments in regards to the Selections Buffet as well as the H’ Steak House and The Nagano Japanese Restaurants.
As you know we are fine tuning our daily operation and be sure to know that there are changes being made to better serve our valued guests.

We all look forward to welcome you Memories Grand Bahama Beach & Casino Resort in the near future.

Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed here for our anniversary. I was impressed by how well the resort looked. Room service was excellent they restocked our towels at least 2x a day, our mini fridge was restocked at least 1x a day. We called down to the front desk one day for an additional restock and the staff came with the supplies within 15 minutes of calling the front desk. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food at Selections (buffet) was good. The steakhouse and Japanese restaurant were awesome. We stayed in the ocean view room with balcony which was very nice, but next time I would love to try one of the rooms on the first floor with the private jacuzzi. My only complaint is that the jacuzzi by the pool was not warming. We informed staff several times of the problem, and we were told they would look into it and let us know what the problem was, but we never did get the followup we were promised. Overall I would gladly stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest paying for the upgrade for the ocean view room with the balcony. It was...
Dear Wendy_D2000,
I would like to thank you and your husband for spending your anniversary with us. I am delighted to know that you received excellent service from our team making your stay an enjoyable one. Your comments and feedback is truly important to us and I would like to apologize for not fulfilling your request with a follow-up. However the Jacuzzi by the pool is heating for your enjoyment.

We look forward to serve you and your husband again in the future.

Gabriel Varela

Been to Memories Grand Bahama Beach and Casino Resort? Share your experiences!