“My Grand Bahamas Spring Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taino Beach Resort & Clubs

Save Saved
You added Taino Beach Resort & Clubs to your Saves list
Taino Beach Resort & Clubs
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Jolly Roger Drive | P.O. Box F-43819, Freeport 42452, Grand Bahama Island   |
Las Vegas, Nevada
“My Grand Bahamas Spring Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I was at Taino Beach from March 31st to April 7th. I have never visited a resort like this before where the staff treats one like royalty. The rooms where clean and neat. The pool was one of the best parts of this resort. The food was excellent at their restrauant. The activities were a thrill. I will definately return to Taino Beach Resort for another visit soon. I had a great time on this island. Tours and activities off the resort were also thrilling.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Taino Beach Resort & Clubs, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Wow! We love to hear postings like this! This is the fuel to power future motivation – and to keep up the hard work that is going on behind the scenes right now at our resort! Thank you, please come again!

440 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

We would absolutely recommend this resort, especially to families traveling with children. This was our fifth stay here, and was out best on yet. The staff are so friendly, the resort was so clean, and the pool area is fantastic. We've been in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, and now in May. We enjoyed May the best. The weather was 80-87 the entire time we stayed for 10 days.

• Stayed May 2012
Thanks for your wonderful Posting! This is the positive experience that we wish for all of our Guests! Thanks again, and we look forward to your future visits!
Miramar, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I've been to the Bahamas many times, and every time I go I stay here. They are a very friendly, relaxing resort. The people make you feel very welcome and the pool and swim up bar is very inviting. You are literally a walk away from a boat ferry ride to get to the other side of town, where you can have a great breakfast and go to local shops.
My only complaint is maybe the food -- it's pricey and nothing to write home about at the hotel. Since many of the rooms have a kitchen, I usually take advantage of the supermarket run that the hotel takes you on and buy food so I can cook, and I love to go to the local restaurant a ferry ride away to have breakfast. There are also the usual beach activities at the hotel, and sometimes they have BBQs and outdoor fun for the kids. Overall, it's a great family hotel, and a decent adult getaway for the girls (or a group), especially if you're into activities. But if you're looking for a beautiful, romantic setting where you can hold up in the room for the week with room service and great amenities for a couple, this isn't it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Downers Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

If you read the reviews about Taino Beach, you will see a wide variety of opinions. After traveling all over the Carribean, I would say this is a typical place with some positives and some opportunities for improvements.

The Beach: The beach is wonderful. You must remember that this is a natural environment. This year, there is a lot of seaweed washing up. The same problem is occurring in Florida. You cannot fault the hotel for what Mother Nature is delivering. Many have said they have never seen the seaweed in this quantity in 20 years. The hotel crew was attempting to bury the seaweed as is being done in Florida, because no one knows what else to do with it. During our stay, the hotel was replacing many of the chaises. The chaises reported as dirty in another review have been replaced. There are shade facilities, but they get reserved early with beach towels on the chairs, etc. I'm an early riser, so I just joined in and reserved ours daily.

The Rooms: We stayed in the Marlin, and unfortunately had a Studio sized room facing the parking lot instead of the pool. If you look at the floorplan of the hotel, the studios face the parking lot and those who pay for the upgrade to the 1- Bedroom face the pool. Yes, the studio is darker. Dark is great for sleep; and since we were on vacation, we did not spend much daylight time in the room. The only time we found the size and darkness of the studio to be an issue was when we wanted to have our cocktail hour before dinner. Having a wine glass at the pool would not be allowed, so we opted to sit in the gazebo close to the Front Desk building. Many evenings were were alone and other times we took the opportunity to visit with others sitting in the gazebo. The appliances used did work and the room was clean. Yes, the sheets need to be replaced as they are pilling. Towels are only changed at the beginning of your stay, but this is a specialty hotel; sort of like a condo. You should be aware of this when you book this hotel.

The Pool: The pictures show lots of inner tubes for a lazy river ride. There were usually enough available tubes when we wanted to cruise around the pool. There was only one day when tubes were in short supply, but there were also some families at the pool that were reserving the tubes at their chaises (although they were not actively using the tubes). Can you blame the hotel for this or the inconsiderate people? The Grotto Pool Bar was fine. The only issue is that you cannot charge your drinks to your room. You need to settle your bill at the time of purchase. This is a bit challenging as I am not sure how people manage this when they swim up to the bar. We kept our cash at the beach / pool at a minimum. If we could have charged our drinks to our room, I'm sure that we would have frequented the Grotto more often. As a result, we tempered our drinking during the day. The drink prices were probably a bit inflated but I would expect this at any hotel. There is an apparent price difference between the Grotto vs. the Restaurant even though the drink menu is the same. The difference is that the Restaurant adds the automatic 15% gratuity to the drink where the Grotto has a giant tip jug. Just tip the server at the Grotto what she deserved and the price would have been the same.

While at the Grotto, I had the opportunity to talk with one of the member of the hotel. He explained some of the history, how the original owner had died (not for this review) and how the facility took a negative turn. He even used the "dump" term. He also said that there is new management team that has true hotel background and they are gradually improving the shortcomings to turn the place around. We saw that during our visit.

Membership: You can stay here without being a member. We did and were not subjected to the sales pitch. Many warned us that our turn would come.

The hotel runs a ferry to the restaurant / shopping area close to the Count Basie Square. Some nights it was a bit off-schedule by 3 - 5 minutes. But, I also saw them wait for families with strollers as they were rushing along the dock area to catch the ferry on the way back. The boat crew were very considerate of others. After a few days, they get to know you somewhat and are quite friendly.

There is a shopping shuttle to take you to a grocery store where you must reserve your spot on the bus. Since we were there over Easter Weekend, we only were able to go to a convenience store instead of a regular grocery store due to all of the public holidays for the weekend. Yes, the prices are higher than in the USA, but aren't they always higher while on vacation? Just don't buy 6-packs of beer at the duty free liquor shop they take you to.

Overall, the facility is quiet and relaxing. We purposely did not want to stay at a hotel with 500+ rooms. We wanted something smaller, no wild evening parties, easy access to many restaurants, and a short walk to the beach. This facility fit our needs. If you are looking for a 5-Star or a place with all-inclusive type of ammenities, this is not your hotel. But, after traveling many places around the world, I alway remind myself that I am on vacation and not in the USA. When you travel outside of your home country, there is a different culture and you should embrace it and try to enjoy it. No complaints allowed.

We had a nice vacation. If you want some true R&R and are not a high-maintenance type, Taino Beach Resort is a very good option.

Room Tip: Pool Side rooms are larger, but you will have to pay the increased price for them.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We are owners here and so we have been several times.

The beach and pool here are great. Rarely is the beach very busy and you can always find a chair. The pool is probably one of the best on the island. The slide is very fun and the lazy river is great. Both of these make this place.

We own in the "Coral" and frankly is due for a major upgrade. The units are just very dated. Things don't work well and they aren't keeping the units up. The above stove microwave broke and they just left it there and put another one on the counter. The units also need a very good cleaning. Things were kinda grimy in places. The towels and linens are in definite need of replacing. We did talk to someone that owns in the newest phase and he also said that the units are needing repairs and several things were broken.

The staff that we encountered here must not be happy with their jobs. For the most part they were rude and unfriendly. It was the exception that we met someone that was helpful. They are also very rigid with their rules. I requested an extra beach towel to cover my legs from the sun - this turned in to a HUGE deal. It was ridiculous. I'm not going to steel your worn out beach towel that has holes!

We'll continue to go here because we own, but I hope that they make some upgrades in the near future. Again, the beach and pool are great the units just need some updating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I would just like to start off by saying that I was here a few years ago (it would't let me choose far back enough - but I did go in August) and things may have changed a bit. Regardless, this was the best vacation I have ever had and still dream of it!

The fun began right from airport. Our cab driver Tim was amazing and sang to us the whole way (you could also hear him on the radio... big superstar!)
Upon arrival, it was a quick check in. I had booked through a timeshare and was given the fourth floor in the Ocean building. I asked for a main floor room (although I'm sure the view would have been outstanding!) and was upgraded to the Marlin. The Ocean and Coral buildings are older and very "Flintstone". They have hot tubs on the balcony (all floors) but I never saw them being used and they were cold (yes.... I snuck up to one and felt the water...shhh!) the Marlin was GORGEOUS! I ended up on the main floor steps away from the pool. It was very safe to just walk out and leave the door open and go swiimming.
Swimming.....aw yes. The pool. Best pool ever!!! It had shallow and deeper sections, the slide, the grottos, the grotto bar (dollar shots, two dollar shots, pirate juice...YUM!).... shall I continue? The temperature of the pool was fantastic and was cleaned every morning. I know it was.... I watched them do it. I enjoyed the midnight swims best - once the kids stopped playing on the dry slide. I'm not a beach person, but it was well groomed daily and the water was beautiful. I stepped in a couple times to my knees. yeah... that was good enough. I like to look at the ocean, not swim in it. That is why it is super important to have an excellent pool.
Staff - the staff were very friendly and very accommodating. I never had an issue and bar service was fast. Once they found out that my friend and I were Canadian...forget it! The free stuff started pouring in! We even got fresh coconuts from the trees onsite. YUM!!
Take advantage of the Monday grocery run. Unless you want to eat out daily. The onsite restaurant was pretty good, but it would get boring after a bit. The prices at the grocery store are insane. Everything is 8$! Chips, fruit cups.....it was nuts. Fresh meat was cheaper. Luckily I brought most of my dry goods from home, so I didn't need to buy much. Yeah.... Bought a frozen pizza. I was so excited to have pizza. There was no oven in the unit. Microwaved pizza is not that good when it should go in the oven. My bad!
I went to Port Lucaya a few times. The Ferry is across the street and only takes a few minutes to get to the port buy water taxi. Buy your ticket at the resort. It was 5$ for both ways. Port Lucaya was great. Be warned.... most shops close up by 5pm. You can do it in a day. We went back to get last minute souvenirs that we missed the first time.
Fish Fry Wednesday....OH MY GOD.... I am drooling just thinking about it! I have never had such good eats in my life! Freshly caught fish. How can you go wrong? Conch salad...yummers! Then there is a party after. When they say party... they mean it. They dance until about 3am and you can hear it all the way back to the resort. Most things shut down early that day since everyone is at Fish Fry.
The room I had was beautiful. It was a 1 bedroom facing the pool. It had two sofas, one being a pull out, and two chairs. A dining table, two tv's, dvd player, satellite and the most beautiful marble bathroom you have ever seen. An oven would have been nice, but I lived. Not sure if the water was potable, so we boiled it for 5 minutes first before cooling it off. Bottled water was way too expensive. Bed was a bit on the hard side, but I enjoy that. It was perfect for my back.
Company - heh heh.... little kissy lizards are everywhere.The super itty bitty ones got in the room. No problem. The bigger ones were outside. Two really enjoyed our patio daily. I named them Fred and Georgette. LOL Got some really great pictures of them (once my lense de-fogged from the temperature change from the room to outside).
I met some fabulous people on my vacation that I am still in contact with. Miss them!!! They stayed in the Ocean building and did not enjoy it as much as I did (the room was not as comfortable).
I will most definately be returning to Taino Beach Resort. It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever had. It will need to be in the Marlin building though. If this resort could go all inclusive I would be in heaven!!!

Room Tip: If you choose a studio, you will be facing the street. Get a 1 bedroom to get a view of the ocean an...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Walker
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We have just returned from Taino Beach and I have been trying to think of a redeemable quality I can share with readers! I am being completely honest when I say this place NEEDS attention....BADLY! The rooms are outdated (we stayed in the Coral) The room was hodgpodged together from what looked like a remodel. The pillows are lumpy and the beds are a mattress on a slab. Our TV cable was torn out of the wall and repeated requests for repair took a personal visit from us to the front desk to get anywhere! The grounds are shabby and there is ALWAYS debris in the pool. Between the concrete slabs at the pool there is overgrown grass and in some instances this overgrown grass is a big lump and is dangerous for walking! The activities are overpriced. We paid for a paddle boat, but when we tried to go on the paddle boat we were told "there is nobody here to shove you off" I guess the person sitting there was unable to do it! DON'T waste your week here.
I must say, though, that the Bahamian people are very friendly....when you go into Lucaya or Freeport, the people are very helpful!
The staff at the Flamingo Hotel are very nice and helpful too.

Room Tip: I didn't see any other rooms, but from what I've heard the Marlin has the most up to date ac...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Taino Beach Resort & Clubs? Share your experiences!