“Actually, a great choice … :)))” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

You added Grand Lucayan, Bahamas to your Saves list
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Sea Horse Road | Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Actually, a great choice … :)))”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

If you read French then you may have seen my (French) wife’s fairly furious tirade about this hotel in February. Time has given us perspective. It was WHOLLY unfortunate that the telecom giant, ‘Three (3)’, should have chosen to have their entire Italian staff there during the majority of our stay. Nothing against this 800-strong Italian crowd- my mother’s Italian as it happens- they were mostly charming and kind and fine ambassadors for country and company alike. The odd obnoxious pig but which society doesn’t suffer this? No, the issue was that they were there to party. And, it turned out, precisely during the hours that we mostly wished to sleep. Oh, and our son was 5 months old and we all know that waking a sleeping baby is a sin…………..I have to say that the only thing the hotel were truly guilty of was not thinking to warn us of the invasion and not segregating the ‘non-3’ guests from the others. The complex is big enough to have done so. So, they didn’t do either and there we were at 11 pm, jet lagged from the UK, with disco fever inside our otherwise fine room- great views from the 5th floor across the beach, a small terrace and even a landscape window in our bathroom. Once it was clear that I was distinctly unhappy, the lady at the other end of the phone (Alison) moved us for the night to a far-end quiet spot. The next day we moved back to our 5th floor beauty and it happened all over. Same outcome, courtesy again of the fast moving and excellent Alison. By the time it happened the third night- despite uncertain re-assurances- I got through to Mr Davis, the head honcho with a commanding gravelly voice that reminded me of the magnificent West Indian cricketer, Michael Holding . He (Mr Davis not Michael Holding) organised a move to a ground floor suite. This satisfied my ego as well as averting my occasional tendency for vertigo on the 5th floor. We moved back next day to floor 5. Same thing. We thus again moved to the ground floor suite and I twisted Mr Davis’ arm that we should keep it for the remaining 4 days. He agreed- putting me (rightly as it happens) firmly but politely in my place after a capricious outburst from me – well we’re all allowed one right? Now get this: we had rain that evening. Really quite heavy rain and not especially predicted or predictable. The result was that the disco had to move under cover and right outside our new ground floor suite. In exasperation I lifted the phone to Mr Davis: he started to talk and then, well, the laughter. He couldn’t help but comment on the irony and I couldn’t help but laugh too- even my wife at this stage had recovered her humour and our big-brown eyed son had adapted his internal clock to the upside-down world of Bahamian time and culture from England. We stayed the remainder of the nights in peace as 3 Italia went home and we had a sizeable chunk knocked off the bill. And we’re probably soon going back to this very resort……………. So why?

I’ve visited the Bahamas quite a lot and love the islands. Their attraction is also their Achilles heel. They are culturally mid USA and Caribbean- unsurprisingly. Taking the best of both makes them a phenomenal force. Taking the worst of both makes them- well- undesirable. I spoke to a shop owner at one of the stores opposite the complex and she told me that, generally, tourist trade was significantly down and that the British especially were absent. The danger, I told her, is that Bahamas could be accused of delivering laid-back Caribbean service whilst expecting American revenue and tips. She sort-of understood. The truth is that Bahamian people are wonderful: re-calibrating the Islands’ outward face in a competitive and open world of tourism could put them back to their best.

So, what of the Grand Lucayan? its big but doesn’t fail to feel personal- thanks to Bahamian hospitality. It is slap bang on the superb beach and if this matters to you- as it does to my family- then this is huge. Also greatly appreciated is the tourist-focussed complex 30 seconds across the road. Sure by Bahamian standards its not cheap- but by USA standards its normal and by European standards it is cheap. Endless small shops and restaurants and, yes, some are lousy but some step up and are thoroughly enjoyable. The hotel bar’s prices are disappointingly silly- close to 20 dollars from memory for two ‘whiskey and gingerades’ (Whisky Mac) poolside- so stepping out is advisable.
So taken together, the great attraction of this hotel is that this is a one-stop-shop phenomenon: sun, beach, endless cosy (but variable quality!) independent restaurants and bars opposite, a terrific (but expensive- think Michelin starred in both respects) restaurant in the hotel, good room service- which is actually not too expensive-, and all within 20 minutes of the airport. And the people are superlatively human: not here to serve but here to be excellent staff and, more importantly, ‘real persons’, when they deal with reasonable and respectful guests. And, lets face it, not that expensive overall. My family loves to arrive in such places and just chill for a week or two. My great friend from Canada, Stevey K, can’t bear that. Him and his grown up kids need activity: they stayed here, hired mopeds from somewhere and had an absolute blast- mopedding (does that have one or two of the letter d?), diving/snorkelling, sight-seeing and, unusually, scrutinising the underlying strategies of the Island’s industries.

So………..thank you Alison and Mr Davis: I am hoping that we learned as much from each other and that our resolves are equally as sharpened as a result. To the guests- the, like us, ‘particular but non-millionaire’ guests out there…………..do it! The hotel’s silly pool bar prices have prevented a perfect score but the rest is difficult to criticise and easy to enjoy. Just check that there’s no gigantic corporate parties when you go J Enjoy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hi Cathy E.,

Thank you for such a raving review! I'd like to apologize again for the other guests, but I'm happy to hear Alison and Mr. Davis took care of you and your family. Also, we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the pool, beach and Bahamian culture. We hope to see you and your family back here soon!

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel in early November. It's an older hotel and some upgrades are in order, but it was clean and the staff was great!
We were upgraded to an ocean view on the fourth and were amazed at the gorgeous view! The beach was fabulous with soft white sand and not a stone or shell to hinder your walking. We decided to venture from the crowds and found a great spot that we had all to ourselves!
The grounds were well cared for and they even had hammocks if you wanted to relax by yourself.
There was a market place across the street for shopping and restaurants.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Lucayan. It's not luxurious, by the location can't be beat!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Mgrieves,

We are excited to hear you had a wonderful stay!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Hi! Last year we went on a cruise to the Bahamas and went to the Grand Lucayan Beach Resort on our day in Freeport and gave it a 5 star rating. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to go on the same cruise this year and go back to the Grand Lucayan, and we gave it 5 stars again. Easy to get there, get off the cruise ship and stand in line for the taxi to the Grand Lucayan Marketplace ($10 round trip per person), which is right across the street from the hotel. Walk across the street to the hotel and walk thru the gorgeous lobby and thru the rear glass doors to the outside (beach side). Then turn to the right and walk until you get to the Guard Shack. Or you can walk down the road until you see the sign for the casino and then walk up that alleyway to the Guard Shack. Either way is fine, I just love seeing the beautiful lobby. It is now $15 PP to use the facilities, but it's worth it. They will put wrist bands on you to show that you have paid. Beautiful pool, beautiful beach, great 12 person hot tub (about 102 degrees), great drinks at the walk up and swim up bar. They have lounge chairs and hammocks under the palm trees that you can use but you must bring your own towels from the ship. There is a little store there that you can use cash in to buy soda and snacks and bottled water and such, but if you want a mixed or frozen drink or want to eat lunch, it is a cashless bar, so you must use your credit card. I wish they took cash, but you can't have everything. We walked next door on the beach to Billie Joe's on the Beach Shack for lunch and the cheeseburgers ($9.50 for cheeseburgers and fries plate) were delicious. The resort is simply beautiful and we enjoyed ourselves again this year same as last. One thing, last year we went in July, this year was November, and they told me in November the water would be a little chilly... Well it wasn't chilly.. IT WAS COLD!!! Too cold for me! But that's not the resort's fault. And someone else might not think it was too cold, but don't say I didn't warn ya!! All in all another great visit to the resort, and maybe next year we will just fly there and stay for 3 or 4 days. I would highly recommend this resort to any cruise ship passengers, just remember to bring your towels!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Welcome back Dan_N_NC!

We are thrilled to hear you had an awesome time visiting us!! We hope you had a chance to relax in one of those hammock underneath the palms, it's truly paradise. We can't wait for you to visit us again, keep a eye out for deals on our hotel rates, we'd love to have you back!

Sherman, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

After arriving at the hotel we waited until 3:30 to get into our room. Although the hotel was less than 50 per cent occupied we still had to wait. Went to the pool and the beach..... Probably 50 people tops we saw at the beach and pools the time we were here. No staff walking around asking you if you need a drink. They do have a bar by the pools. They have an infinity pool here but it is extremely small. The room once we got it was very nice. A large room with a balcony. Bathroom outdated but overall very nice. Staff at the hotel were all very nice. The people in the Bahamas are just nice. The hotel has limited places to eat. Went to eat Asian the first night. Closed. So went to the buffet and it was horrid. Chef needs to watch Food Network a little bit. Next night buffet was closed but Asian was open. The food was good here. The waitresses were not very attentive. It was a little pricey for what you received. We had breakfast about two blocks from the hotel. There is an assortment of restaurants and shops there. That is the place to go for some good food here. Overall we were very dissatisfied with this resort. We have traveled extensively to Mexico and the Dominican. This place just doesn't stack up. Would not go back to this resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi GJTravel,

I'm happy to hear our staff was welcoming and that you liked your room! I'm so sorry to hear you had to wait a long time at check-in, we try our best to have a smooth check-in for every guest. Most of our guests tell us how much they enjoy the buffet, I'm sorry this wasn't the case during your visit. I am pleased to hear you had a good meal at the Asian restaurant although the service wasn't up to your standards. If there is anything we can do please feel free to contact us at info@grandlucayan.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This resort was very large, but only half of it was used because it was the slow season (November). There was an amazing infinity pool, but the bar was not opened on that side, so it was very quiet. We went for our friend's wedding. The resort was not very good at accommodating such a large group at dinner (30-40 people) and the servers at the italian restaurant were somewhat rude. The front desk personnel were nice, and everyone seemed to say hello when they walked by. I thought the service was good, and the entire resort including the rooms was very clean. The beach was by far the best part. The sand was so soft and the water was beautiful. There was a bit of a current, but nothing too extreme. The one thing that I found annoying was that weather you opt for the all inclusive package or not you need to sign every time you order a drink or buy anything. Also, they automatically include gratuity on everything. It was convenient that port Lucaya was directly across the street and we partied there every night, and there were a ton of food options over there. I felt very safe there as well. I enjoyed the Bahamian people they were all very welcoming.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view room, opt for a room on level 6 or higher
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Jerseylili,

We are happy to hear you had a beautiful time while staying with us! We hope everyone at the wedding enjoyed themselves too! I want to apologize if the service at the restaurant was anything less than exceptional. Also, I'm sorry for any confusion with the all inclusive, we like to make sure you are always aware of any charges added to your bill. We hope you visit us again sometime. :)

san antonio tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and i went here for our ten year anniversary over august 31.  Its taken me this long to write the review because it was so bad I don't even want to think about it long enough to write a review.

Here are the issues.
1.  Check in/ out staff were slow and could not have been less helpful.  Really all of the staff needed additional customer service training.
2.  I booked an "amazing ocean view room" from their website, what I got was a view of a palm tree on the third floor, so thick you could not see the ocean.
3.  Room is smelled of BO, complaints were answered with fragrance, which smelled like flowery BO
4.  I was suppose to be charged 580 but instead I was charged 738 at checkout.  I took my bill to the counter and it took 87 minutes (I timed it because I was so disgusted at this point) to somewhat resolve this problem.  TAKE YOUR RESERVATION PRINT OFF WITH YOU IF YOU GO.  I had to argue continuously to get someone to finally look at the print off of their website to agree that I had been overcharged.  Even then they would not fix it, I made them write on my paper they would not charge more than 580 but they would not change it in the computer.
5.  Make sure if your room comes with a resort credit you print off any restrictions prior to getting there.  This part was almost funny, the check out lady studied our charges and then picked out the two places we did not eat and told us our credit was only good at those places.  The funny part was when I pulled out a screen shot from my booking that said the credit was good resort wide.
6.  Infinity pool is nice but get ready to share it with many many cruise ship passengers,  the resort caters to cruise ships and sells day passes, its like a cattle call when they show up around 9am
7.  Room is like a bad, dated holiday inn
8.  The bar at the pool ran out of rum?????  Its the bahamas, they can run out of food, saltwater, but not rum?  I don't even drink much but found this unacceptable.

The only positives were, you are at the bahamas and not work, and the breakfast buffet at the main restaurant.

This part isn't about the resort but be sure to check what is going to be open at the market for the time of year you go, some of the nice places close for a month around the time we were there.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or above the third floor, third floor all you see is palm foliage, wear slippers so you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hello jdoss,

First off, thank you for your feedback! I'm so sorry to hear that check-in was not smooth because of the amount of guest checking in at the same time. And the confusion of your charges at check-out.
I also wanted to address the issues with the room. From what you've described that does not reach our standards and we will be making sure this does not happen again.

Please feel free to follow up with us at info@grandlucayan.com.

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan :)
Benicia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband purchased a trip for our second honeymoon! It was a grand is it - we were greeted,cared for and attended to by friendly staff who went out of their way to accommodate us and ensure our visit was special and it was. We fell in love with the Caribbean because of the staff attitude! After spending hours just floating in the ocean, enjoying the fine dining and lounging poolside, it was the perfect refresher. We plan to come back and bring our entire family.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Honey H!

We are thrilled to hear about your lovely honeymoon and we appreciate your kind words. We look forward to showing the rest of your family a grand time! Keep a look out for deals. ;)

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan!

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!