“Cruise Stop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Save Saved
You added Grand Lucayan, Bahamas to your Saves list
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Sea Horse Road | Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Special Rate
Kids Eat Free $250
Ranked #4 of 18 hotels in Freeport
South Carolina, United States
“Cruise Stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We traveled to Freeport on cruise ship and went to Grand Lucayan on our own from ship - as others have stated - $10.00 round trip per person taxi to Grand Lucayan and $15.00 for a day pass to the resort which allows use of beach, chairs, pools (I believe there are 4), pool chairs and umbrellas, resort facilities. There is beach/poolside bar (with swim-up area), where you can order drinks and several restaurants. We ordered conch fritters @ Iries and they were delicious - some of the best we've ever had! As others have stated, there are water sports available adjacent to the resort - did not use these but looked like everyone that did enjoyed them. We enjoyed the day at the resort and would go there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary P, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello Sandra B,

Thanks for spending the day with us! We really appreciate you taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. So pleased to hear that you would consider us again for future visits. I hope that next time you come and stay with us for a few nights. You will absolutely love the ocean view. :0) Have a wonderful day. Come back and see us again soon.

1,472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

OVERVIEW: Nice large resort, with average food, friendly staff.
I won a package that included a 2 day cruise on the Bahamas celebration to Freeport and 2 nights at the Grand Lucaya. I arrived via shuttle bus along with 40 other passengers from the same cruise that was also staying at the resort. The check-in process was smooth and the staff very friendly. Wherever we went people greeted us with a friendly smile. The hotel seems to be the biggest and best hotel on the island from what I could tell. The property is well maintained and the rooms large and clean.
BEACH/POOL
The beach looks nice but the water was rough and cold when I was there. There are about 4 pools but the water was cold but I was so determined to get a swim I dived in and did a polar bear swim fooling a few guests into thinking it was tolerable. When I finally emerged from the pool a few guests asked how I was able to tolerate being in the pool that long.
RESORT ACTIVITIES
They have this really cool life size chess game that you can play. They try to have activities but it was often cancelled due to inadequate guest participation. Perhaps in February the have lower occupancy. There is a decent size gym with well maintained equipment where classes such as spin, zumba, yoga and aerobics are offered. The spa is located in the same building as the gym. The gym is also used by locals.
DINING
The hotel food is not worth the price. There are so many fabulous restaurants across the street at the Port Lucaya Marketplace. There is also a great seafood restaurant shack along the beach Billy Joe's on the beach.
TIP: Great way to get a free sunday island drive/tour is call a house of worship for a ride to their worship center. Choose one that is far from the hotel. They usually have other worshippers to pick up. So you can get a drive around the island and the people are so friendly on the island they don't mind pointing out all the unique things on the island. It's also a way to get a real island experience and close interactions with the locals rather than touristy places.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mary P, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello Eulalee,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the activities that were available to you. I apologize if the food was not up to your standards, we appreciate you feedback. I'm very pleased to hear that you discovered the Lucayan Marketplace. You are absolutely right, there are many great restaurants there as well. :0) We appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. And we hope to see you again someday soon.

Sincerely, Grand Lucayan Management
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I did not stay at the hotel I only looked around, but realized harassment here is complimentary!

I was visiting port Lucaya and decided to have a little peak at the Grand Lucayan hotel.
I asked permission from the front desk if I could look around, and permission was granted.
Five minutes into my stroll around the pool, security accosted me telling me to go into the security office even though I told him I was given permission to have a look around, I told him to ask the front desk and to verify that I indeed asked for permission. He did not do that,even though he could have easily radioed in on his walky-talky. Instead he proceeded to harass me.

I didn't want any trouble so I proceeded to leave the property towards the public beach.
He followed me onto the beach, and at this point I was completely off the hotel’s property.

He blocked my path and prevented me from walking down the beach and called in more security, I was then accosted by another member of the security staff basically using threatening body language whilst blocking my path, at this point I called the police which made them back down.
They even asked me not to call the police because they knew what they were doing
was wrong.

If I had not called the police, who knows what could have happened.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent visit. We take our guests’ comments very seriously, and we are very sorry to hear of the frustration you’ve experienced and your perception of our staff’s attitude. Please keep in mind that the policy of the hotel concerning non guests, is that all non-hotel room guests should be wearing a wrist band. There are no exceptions because we pride ourselves on ensuring a safe environment for all guests. As per the policy, it would be unusual for the Front Desk to grant permission (for non-hotel room guests) without notifying the Security office. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your visit with us by contacting us directly at info@grandlucayan.com, so as to look further into the matter. Once again, we appreciate your feedback.

Columbus, Mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I would never have suspected foul play until I read the other recent reviews. We got here around 5pm and the power was out. It remained out until around 9ish, I think. What's the big deal? This means NO BAR OR RESTAURANT SERVICE! Imagine being on a beautiful resort with no food or BEVERAGE. So what's the foul play? I now believe this is an intentional power outage to save money in the off season. Also, the market place is conveniently located across the street, but almost all restaurants were closed for the off season. It was a ghost town. Seriously. Creepy empty.

Otherwise, the resort property is beautiful and clean. Be sure to get a room on the ocean side, though. I had a view of rooftops.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mary P, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello fabeebabee,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I just wanted to apologize for the sudden power outage you experienced. Unfortunately, this was the result of an island wide power outage and regrettably it was outside of our control. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you very kindly for your patience, as I know such a thing can be frustrating. Because of the power outage, I know that our restaurants were also unavailable. Again, I offer my sincere apologies. Our restaurants and bars are a pivotal part of our resort offerings and mean everything as far as guest experience, so I completely understand your frustration.

If you have any further questions or concerns or if we can assist you in any other way, please feel free to contact Marsha at guest services at info@grandlucayan.com. Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

GL Management
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time to have Freeport as a stop on a cruise. The first time I didn't do any research, didn't book an excursion and was really disappointed with the stop overall.

However, the second time around it was my favorite port on the cruise. Based on Trip Advisor recommendations we purchased a day pass for $15 to Grand Lucayan. While you have access to the pool and the beach, with very few visitors, water activities are adjacent to the beach. We were able to go parasailing, lay on the beach, swim at the pool and use the free wifi from the restaurants. As well, the shops at Port Lucaya are just across the street.

You can take a taxi from the port to the resort from $10 round trip

You do need to bring your own towel from the ship.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello eikonfoto!

Thank you for taking time out to write this flowing review for us. We really appreciate it!

We're very happy you decided to make the most of your stop this go around and spend some time with us. And even happier that you consider us the favorite port of your cruise!

We hope that you'll come back very soon.

Have a great day!

Your Friends at Lucayan.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Michael and I got married at The Grand Lucayan on November 10th, 2012. It was a beautiful day, but the best part was the service we got before and after the wedding. They have very helpful wedding planners and coordinators that will make sure your day goes as planned. We both live on the island so we didn't take advantage of all of their vendors. The food and service was good, the only issue we had was after cake cutting, we had to go get our own plates and cutlery because all the servers had left. The bar was well stocked and well attended. The bar tender was a hoot and made our evening. Overall we are both very happy with our decision to get married here and with a guest list of 130, they had more than enough room to accommodate us. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone!

Room Tip: The Ocean View Suites are worth every penny!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Kristijay99!

What an incredible review! Thank you so much for writing it and thank you even more for choosing to host the greatest day of your life with us!

We are delighted that we were able to make this momentous occasion special for you, your groom and your guests. Hearing that pre and post stay services were excellent is such great news!

We hope that you decide to spend your 1 year anniversary weekend with us! :)

Your Friends at Lucayan.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I had a horrible experience here. The staff was great but everything else is a no bueno. The power was out for 2 days, so therefore we were forced to take cold showers and walk up 6 flights of stairs to get to our room. In addition to cold showers, we were charged a ridiculous amount of hidden surcharges. I.e. energy surcharge, but there was no freaking energy. After speaking with the manager we had to beg like james brown to adjust the bill because we were extremely dis-satisfied. He adjusted $50.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello Rated_rem,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies about the island wide power outage that you experienced during your recent visit. This was an unfortunate event, and I hope you understand that it was very much outside of our control. I completely understand your frustration in regards to having to walk up the stairs and having to take cold showers, and I want to thank you for your patience.

I am, however, very pleased to hear that our great staff was still able to make an impression, despite the challenges. Many of our guests return again and again for this very reason.

If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact Marsha at guest services at info@grandlucayan.com and she will be more than happy to assist you in any way she can.
Once again, thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Grand Lucayan Management

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!