“Nice, relaxing hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

You added Grand Lucayan, Bahamas to your Saves list
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Sea Horse Road | Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
Palm Beach, Florida
“Nice, relaxing hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you're looking for a relaxing place to stay, which is right on the beach, this is the place for you. It's about a 10 minute ride from the port (if arriving by ship), but worth it. The rooms are clean and decently sized. If you choose an ocean view room (above the 6th floor), you'll have a great view of the ocean, as each room has a balcony. There are several pools on the property as well as several places to eat. You can also go across the street to the marketplace to dine.

Ask for free breakfast when you check in. Most times they'll give you a free breakfast card.

Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for either the 9th or 10th floor, ocean facing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hello MrCartman,
Wow, thank you so much for this great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan. We are glad that you liked the rooms, all of our dining options, and the hotel's close proximity to the beach and the Lucaya Marketplace. That's our favorite, too :) Unfortunately, we do not give away breakfast vouchers. Breakfast vouchers are given out if the package includes breakfast. Thanks again for taking the time to write this great review and for recommending us. We hope to see you again!

Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from June 6-10,2013 for a "second honeymoon" ( 17 years) and had an absolutely wonderful time! There were a lot of high school grads staying there while we were there that were kind of rowdy but we thought they were just doing what they were supposed to be doing ( having a good time) so they didn't bother us ( they were kind of funny actually). We had a very relaxing time at the pool and spent a good amount of money from the swim up bar ( Hammerheads). We had breakfast one morning at the resort which was good and reasonably priced. Everyone who worked at the hotel was kind and helpful. Our check in was pretty quick considering we came over on the Bahamas Celebration. We thought we wouldn't be able to check in until 3 and were pleasantly surprised when we got into our room about 10:30 a.m.! We had dinner every night at the Port Lucaya Marketplace which is directly across the street from the hotel. My favorite restaurant was Zorba's. The red snapper was wonderful and prices were very reasonable ($17.99 for red snapper filet, baked potato,veggies,bread and a greek salad. ) We ended up eating dinner there twice and breakfast once. Breakfast was great at Zorba's and La Med ( both were about $6 which included juice and coffee too). I had the conch fritters atThe Big Easy which were good and their "special sauce" was amazing although they were slow and not near as friendly as some of the other places we went. Olive at Molly's Irish Pub was so sweet and we actually exchained emails and are keeping in touch. Stefan at Rum Runners was awesome and makes a great pina colada! If you need suntan lotion, buy it at the hotel, it's actually cheaper there than at the Marketplace ( about the same price you'd pay at Walmart). As far as the Lucayan resort goes: hotel was beautiful and well kept. We LOVED the bed, probably the most comfortable we've ever slept in! The pools were great, there are several. We actually didn't even see the other pools at the end of the resort ( near the lobby buildings) until the last day. They were almost deserted and very private. We went to the beach by those pools and we were the only ones on that stretch of beach. Romantic and private. Our favorite place to eat and hang out was right on the beach right past the resort ( just a few minutes walk on the beach) was Billy Joe's where they catch fresh conch a few times a day and make fresh conch salad right in front of you. Conch salad is amazing and a must try! The locals were so friendly and took pictures with us. We loved our trip, the resort, the location, the food, the pools and the beach and ocean views were so beautiful. My pictures look like postcards! We will definitely come back and hopefully bring the kids next time.

Room Tip: We had an end unit but still had an amazing ocean view on 4th floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi Shortcake1972,
Wow, thank you so much for the kind review! We strive to ensure that each guest has as great of a stay at the Grand Lucayan as you and your husband have. We're glad that you were able to enjoy the Port Lucaya Marketplace, had a relaxing time at the pool, the beautiful ocean views, and our big comfy beds (they're a guest favorite!). Thank you again for the detailed review, we are sure it will serve as a great reference for future guests! We hope you come see us again!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived at the resort today at 11am and was given a pager to alert us when our room was ready. The attendant at the front desk told us our room won't be ready until 3pm. I am currently sitting in the lobby and its 4:20 pm. I went to the desk 10 after 3pm to see if our room was ready, and they stated that it was going to be another hour because housekeeping hasn't cleaning the room. They did however offer to give us a room on the 2nd and 5rd floor which I refused because I look at guest review which ppl stated that the best ocean view rooms are floors 6 and above. After my boyfriend complained the manager came over and gave us a complimentary breakfast. And I have to say a glad I held out on the room because they gave us a corner room on the 8th floor that had a huge balcony. So it was worth the wait.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a ocean view room above the 6th floor. You will be glad u did!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi Pooh617,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We apologize for the delay with the check-in, but we're glad our management was able to take care of you and were able to give you a corner room on the 8th floor with a large balcony and a great view. We hope that you're enjoying your stay at the Grand Lucayan!

Grand Lucayan Management
Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on Business, arriving Friday 7th June. I too shared the concerns of a previous reviewer about the college kids making noise at all hours, but I had to be awake early in the mornings so these served as an alarm for me, but could imagine others being quite upset.
The hotel is very nice, but I thought quite pricey for the standard, lots of taxes, which should really be stated a little clearer at booking.
Situated right on the south facing beach, which was great. I didn't use the water sports, but did see they were advertised as not being affiliated to the hotel.
Cleanliness was fine, food was also.
Staff were also fine and helpful.
One point did puzzle me. One side of the hotel (on the other side of the casino) was somewhat left to be reclaimed by nature and was un-used. Other than that, I thought it was very good.
You can not beat the location!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello Spongeandcluster,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're glad you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan and liked the resort's location, the food, and the view. Thanks for the feedback regarding the taxes and fees. We will certainly take this into consideration as we are always looking for ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you come back and visit us again.

Panchkula, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I completed my job at Freeport on 5th April-13 & was unable to get a flight for next 2 days. Eventually I got a room booked at this beautiful place through my Agency "inchcape'.
Right from the time of my checking in till my check-out (2 days Later) it was a memorable experience in every way.
The multi-cousine food with live music was excellant.
The poolside presents one of the best views besides other features like a large chess ground.
The hotel location is very good & the nearby Lucayan street market is a great place to buy local souvenirs.
I would positively recommend this Hotel while at Freeport, Bahamas.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are the best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello Goldie_76,
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan. We strive to ensure each guest has as great as an experience with us as you did. We're glad you enjoyed the different varieties of food, the poolside views, and the hotel's close proximity to the Lucaya Marketplace. Thank again for the great review and we hope you come back and see us again!

Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I booked the Grand Lucaya on the travelzoo promotion where the nightly rate with fess came out to about $160.00 For the special price I thought it was an excellent value especially since it included the breakfast buffet. We went Tuesday June 4, 2013 for the week and in the beginning of the week the hotel had very low occupancy.

Room and check in: Our room was not available for check in until about 4 but we were given room 6-1020 which had an excellent ocean view, clean, and the room is much more spacious than the rooms we have found staying in the Caribbean ( including much more expensive hotels).

Staff: Almost all the staff was extremely friendly and polite and we found the gym staff to be excellent. All the gym classes are included. We took water aerobics at 11am, abs at 5, pilates at 5 – all excellent .

Breakfast buffet: The first day the breakfast buffet was great and then it went downhill. The buffet is small but more than adequate. The first day the egg station was on a proper grill. Multiple eggs could be cooked simultaneously and everything was properly cooked. After our first day for the remainder of the week the egg station was moved to the breakfast buffet where a different very unpleasant woman cooked eggs on two very small fry pans on a mini Bunsen burner type set up. I got into breakfast at 9:45am and didn’t get my eggs until 10:30 and the majority of the eggs presented were not fully cooked and the line to get the eggs wrapped around the buffet. The woman cooking the eggs tried to give me uncooked eggs to rush them off three times and she was not pleasant when I told her I wanted them well done.
If the hotel reviews this message my advice is to keep egg preparation on the seperate grill and not to ruin your breakfast buffet.

Pools: There are two main pool areas. One near the gym with a lap pool and infiniti pool and the other in front of the main hotel. I found the gym area pool more relaxing except several days a week cruise ship passengers come with a day pass so it was more crowded on those days. On the non ship days there were less than a dozen people at the gym pool and beach area.
The main pool is nice but we had the unfortunate luck of being there with a large high school graduation group that made me feel like I was on spring break since the kids turned the ping pong table into the ultimate beer pong tournament. Not really my speed since we were travelling with our two children, 3 and 5.
All the pools and Jacuzzi do have a lot of beach sand in them but overall the facilities are laid out very nicely.

Dinner: We only had one meal at the hotel the fish fry. It was fine. The fish was fresh and the buffet was very reasonable especially since kids under 5 were free. I got the whole snapper and it was very fresh. My husband also said the ribs were very good.

Food is very subjective and I consider myself a bit of a foodie. Over all I didn’t find any food choices bad or very good that I would rush back. We ate at agave, Luciano, zorba, pisces, and the pelican bay hotel restaurant. Nothing to complain about but nothing to rave about. I would say this island is not known for restaurants and the restaurants in most other islands like Grand Cayman and St. Lucia were better.

For something quick and basic the hotel has a small shop that sells turkey wrap sandwiches and gelato and I found that good and convenient.

Shopping: The hotel is directly across from a craft market, straw market, jewelry shopping, and over 6 restaurants. We found some great deals in the silver traditions shop and the staff very helpful. I would also recommend the craft stall that sells handmade candles and soaps, but over all I found much less “negotiating” at the shops here compared to the other Islands especially at the jewelry stores. My husband agreed to a final price on several pieces of jewelry at the Columbian Emerald store and than at check out the manager came over and was very rude and told us we had to pay more and would not honor the agreed upon prices we had reached with the sales clerk. I have been to over 20 islands ( and many Columbian Emerald stores) and this is the first time this has happened. Basically, buyer beware and if you are seeing other larger islands consider saving your shopping for elsewhere.

Summary: This hotel has the best location on the Island. Directly on the beach and within easy walking distance of all the Island shopping and restaurants. If you get a deal at the hotel, snap it up. If it was more expensive and during a high season time I would be concerned how well the hotel would do and the level of service received.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor in the middle. we had room 6-1020. Highest floor and was much more quiet. al...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hello BHM,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed the Grand Lucayan's location, the fitness classes, our staff, and the fish fry buffet! Those are some of our guests' favorite things. We're sorry to hear about your experience at the breakfast buffet, but we appreciate your feedback. We're happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks again for the review!

Grand Lucayan Managment
Independence, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Lucayan for a "cruise and stay" with the celebration cruise. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The pool is really nice and the resort grounds are beautiful. The room was nice, and had a comfy bed. Only thing I would complain about with the room is that there is no space in the bathroom to put your toiletries.

It was nice on the beach to have lounch chairs to lay on! Also, they give you towel cards. You give them your card and they give you a towel. Gave you 2 tiny bottles of water in your room which was nice. The restaraunts at the resort aren't that great.... We only ate there 1 night and it was for a "fish Fry". Food was ok....ribs, fish, chichen, corn, and mac and cheese for $20. They have a sundries store that sells drinks, snacks etc. It says they have a starbucks but really it is a coffee shop that brews starbucks coffee.. Not the same. The lady working in the coffee shop was extremely rude. Asked her what the weather was going to be like and she said that I should watch the weather channel...

That brings me to another point. THe staff for this resort was not very friendly. Every time we would call down to the front desk, they were not friendly and were rude. Even if we had a simple question, they hung up really fast. We received a different rooms bill instead of ours, and they wouldn't bring us our bill. The cleaning lady didn't clean our room until really late in the afternoon so after we went to the beach in the morning and wanted to come back to relax, we would soon have to leave so she could clean the room. On the beach, you are always getting hounded for getting your hair braided, buying jewelry or doing snorkeling etc. For a private beach-we thought this was kinda weird. It got annoying to tell the hair lady that I dind't want my hair braided. Paid $40 to go snorkeling and came to find out on the hotel website, all non motorized sports including snorkeling was supposed to be free...... Yep no refund for us! They also have this giant yellow jumpy thing in the ocean. Everyone kept jumping on it because there was no sign or anything on it. It was just waiting there to be jumped on. Some guy with his pants half way down to his ankles would constantly run in the ocean and tell people that they had to pay $10 to jump on it. It was kinda stupid. They just tried to get an extra buck out of everything and everybody.

There was an infinity pool-doesn't look anything like the pictures. Either it wasn't filled up all the wy or the pictures are very misleading. Also, the swim up bar was shut down or looked like it was abandoned. On the website it says you don't even have to get out of the pool for your drink. Well, if you want a drink, you are going to have to get out of the pool because there was only a bar on the outside of the pool. We were really disapointed with that.

We were on the 10th floor with an ocean view room. Our view was top notch! It was very pretty to look out in. Balcony was nice-had 2 chairs.

THe hotel is right across the street form Port Lucaya which was nice. We were very disapointed in the port lucaya because there was absolutley no night life whatsover like all the websites stated. It was also right across teh street from Unexso-the dolphine, and diving excursion place.

Another problem-it seemed that a lot of things were closed. Irene's, one of the restaraunts was closed and the night club was closed.

Room Tip: Spring for the ocean view room. We were on the 10th floor and had a perfect view of the ocean. I don...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!