“Awesome place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

You added Grand Lucayan, Bahamas to your Saves list
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Sea Horse Road | Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Saugus, Massachusetts
“Awesome place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights and it was great! Check in was fast and was able to check in early as well. The hotel is very clean and the people are friendly. There are 3 pools and enough room for everyone to spread out under umbrellas. My only complaint is that there were no umbrellas on the beach and so we had to stay around the pool because the sun is hot there. The location is perfect. The Marketplace was a short walk across the street and there were many wonderful restaurants to eat at. The restaurants on the hotel property were good as well. There is a casino nearby too. Would definitely stay here again. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room as it overlooks the pool area and the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hello Cathy D,

Thank you so much for the kind review. It is very nice to hear that you found our hotel clean, and our staff friendly! I am, on the other hand, truly sorry that you were not able to enjoy the beach as you expected. We will certainly consider putting umbrellas on there as well.

We are very happy to know that we will have you back as our guest! See you soon!!

Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

To experience a quiet place with a wonderful endless pool. A grate ocean view from every property room this should be your place. Hotel restaurants are in a timer alike you have to do meals when they are open. To solve the issue across from hotel are many great local own places with excellent food also better prices than hotel. The Greek is an excellent place.

Room Tip: On the tower facing the ocean. It is wonderful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It was our 1st trip to the bahamas and we were very pleased by this hotel. We had an ocean view on the 10th floor beautiful view, large balcony, large room, clean, great tv. Very big complex, manor house (lobby) beautiful. Nice walks on the beach, friendly people. Very quiet on our first days. Only downside, lots of seaweed. They dont take it out they just push it towards the rocks with machinery so it comes back. The port Lucaya market place just across the street is fantastic. Great restaurants. Our favorite for lunch was the dive inn at Unexso. Breakfast at Zorba, Dinner at Med, Sabor, Flying Fish, Cappuchino's. All the drunks are at Rum Runners, 2 beers for 5 dollars. Lots of hasseling by the vendors, very annoying but you just say no thanks. Great silver jewellery and souvenirs. China Beach the asian restaurant on the resort is very good. Seems expensive but you get enough food for 2 people when you order one dish, didn't know.

the thursday night movie is fantastic. We watched Sherlock Holmes sitting outside with popcorn near the pool, great idea! After 4 days at the resort, we got a little bored so we rented a car with KSR. Very nice guy 60$ a day, they pick you up. That's when the fun part of our trip started. Went to Gold Rock beach wow secluded and fantastic! Went to the fish fry on Taino Beach on wednesday night with the local. It was perfect, dancing, eating and drinking with everyone. Must do! We went snorkeling at Deadmans reef. I will review all of those places on trip advisor. All in all it was great and people who write bad reviews of this resort are really picky and not fair.

Dont hesitate but rent a car to see the real Grand Bahama. Like Ferris Bueller said: Life moves pretty fast, if you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hello quebectraveller_8,

That was a very nice and detailed review that you gave of our hotel. And I must say that you being so positive is very much appreciated. It is very nice to hear that you had a chance to try so many different restaurants both in our hotel as well as the Marketplace. Renting a car is a great idea too!

We are very glad that your trip to Grand Bahama Island was wonderful, and looking forward to see you again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Planned a group trip of 10ppl/5rooms back in march to stay at the property. After a terrible day of travel, we were so ready to get there, relax and have a great time. Upon arrival (mind you there was not a single other guest in line), it took us 1.5hrs to get 5 reservations checked in. In my attempts to check in, my personal reservation/confirmation number was had been booked under someone else's name (which was not in our party)-odd??? Of which, screwed up my entire reservation and rate guarantee... That being said, I had booked a reservation at $125++pn (as did the other 4 reservations in our group), however due to the little "mixup" in their reservations system I was the one penalized and ended up paying nearly $275++ per night for the room. The hotel would NOT make any rate changes or even make any attempts to make this better for us. Being a hotelier myself, that's just bad business. Had I not been with the group, I would have forfeited my deposit and gone elsewhere.
So, Grand Lucayan, you're welcome for our business...
Not to mention, 96% of the property was closed down while we were there! One bar and one restaurant was open to the guests... Just to make things even better, the weather was horrible (out of their control, I know), but when I went up to the concierge desk to find something fun for the group to do- I asked the concierge: "What is there to do on a day like today? Were up for nearly anything! her response: Stay inside and sleep. I have nothing to offer you." - I kid you not.
Had there not been a group of such fun people, we would have had a terrible experience. BUT, we made the best of it and still had a great time!
Overall, this property has SO MUCH to offer and it is just wasting away. Housekeeping was attentive and responsive. The dinner buffet was affordable and tasty. Food and beverage service did lag a bit, but I think that is just an "Island time" thing.
They have so much potential but just need to learn how to handle their guests with care.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jennilynn21,
Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor. We rely on guest feedback such as yours to help us improve our services and properly advise our staff on how they are doing. Our standard at The Grand Lucayan is to provide our guests with top-notch customer service and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with us and follow up by contacting us directly at info@grandlucayan.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Grand Lucayan Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Grand Lucayan is the perfect place for a quick getaway from the city life. Located just 15 mins by taxi from the airport, you can be in a room and enjoying the seaside atmosphere. I'll list the pros and cons of my stay.

Pros-
Location: Right on the beach and across the marketplace and marina, you have access to a wide range of activities and options. Go shopping, hit the casino, go to the beach, explore a local restaurant (if you already tried the hotel's options), or join in on a boat related activity (scuba, dolphin experience, fishing, etc).

Rooms: The rooms are clean and set up well with all the standard amenities of a four star hotel (including a coffee machine :) The bathroom was well lit and our corner room even had a window to the ocean right from the shower!

Staff: Almost all the staff we met were friendly and smiled, bidding us a good day! Front desk was helpful, but the tour services could have been better.

Property: The hotel has great pools including the large winding serpentine pool and the infinity pool. I preferred staying at the infinity pool because there were less people, but the in-pool bar at the serpentine pool was a plus.

Cons:
Personalization: This is a large hotel and so it may not be as personalized as a small boutique hotel.

Overall, a great long weekend stay at the beach. I also recommend checking out Lucayan National Park which was amazing. For pictures and my complete story, check out my blog! I hope you will enjoy the Grand Lucayan as much as I did!

David De Clercq

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean on a higher floor... the sunsets are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hello Davybert,

Thank you very much for all these wonderful thoughts. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time during your stay at our place. Your comment about our friendly staff is very much appreciated too. We believe that great customer service is one of the most important benchmarks regarding to help guests enjoy their time to the fullest. I am also glad that you had a chance to visit Lucayan National Park - so much to explore!

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Tn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked this through a TimeShare out of Ft Lauderdale Fl on the "Celebration" and paid for an upgrade for a "bungalow" on the beach. Well first off, the timeshare put us up at the Ramada Resort in Ft Lauderdale and there was nothing "resort" about it at all. It was a crappy place. The food was nasty, the room was nasty and the seminar that was only supposed to last 90 mins ended up 5 1/2 hours. Horrible.
The ship to the island was very nice since it was small enough to see the same people throughout the day and evening and we could get to know many whereas a large ship with thousands would not have been so personable. The staff was great, the buffet was actually better than in the restaurants for the most part unless you wanted to pay for it. The bad was that they nickled and dimed you to death. Everything seemed to cost extra no matter what it was and on the way back they decided to slam us on the casino costs.
When we got to the resort I told them I had paid extra for a bungalow and they said they didn't have any of those on the property. My ticket said the GL Lighthouse but I was told that I wasn't going to be there either because it was under renovations so they put us in the high rise building. I'm going to call the company and find out what exactly I paid extra for and how to get the $100 they promised me for gas money that no one seems to know about. They did give us an oceanview room on the 6th floor which was great but the water in the shower never made it past luke warm so a hot shower was out of the question.
The pools which looked crystal blue in the pictures were green in real life and had greasy stuff floating on top. The beach was beautiful but water a little cold.
We asked where to eat breakfast and they said "Willy's" at the resort and it was horrible. It was a buffet type place and the bacon had no taste, the sausage was hard and dry, the milk was warm. The only good thing was you could get an omelet made fresh but it cost over $13. plus tax and they automatically added 15% tip so that was a pretty expensive omelet. Needless to say we never went back there nor did we eat anywhere at the resort again. We spent all of our time over at the marketplace where the food was great and the drinks wonderful.
You must go to Molly Malone's (at the Craic Bar) and see Kevin - have him make you some drinks. The man is awesome and will treat you like a part of the family. We called him Emmitt since he looks so much like Emmitt Smith from the Cowboys. If you see him tell him his friends from TN said HELLO EMMITT!!!

Room Tip: Get above the 6th floor and an ocean view or it's not worth it at all. A local told me that the...
Dear scoobette,
I would like to thank you for sharing your review with us. Our apologies as it sounds like your overall stay was not up to standard and not satisfactory. With the level of service you received from the timeshare company, we can certainly understand your disappointment. We have sent your feedback in reference to the pools to our Maintenance Director so as to address this quickly. In reference to the breakfast buffet, we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused.

Sparta, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a really nice, fairly new hotel, right on the beach, and right across from all the action at the Lucayan Marketplace. The only casino on the island is on the property too. The only reason it is not getting 5 stars, is because some of the resort is closed, and under renovation. But it still has several very good restaurants open. Very safe too, with lots of security. I hope to be back there soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Neal C,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad that you find the location of the hotel perfect! We do indeed have construction going on as it is under renovation like you said; but we hope to welcome you back again soon when we can offer you a better stay with fully opened areas. And we do care about safety issues a lot so thank you for recognizing that as well!

Hope to see you soon!

Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!