“Beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

You added Grand Lucayan, Bahamas to your Saves list
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Sea Horse Road | Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just spent a weekend (9th-12th) at the Grand Lucayan. We had a bunch of family there for a wedding on site. We arrived Friday early evening and walked to the front desk after the bellman took our luggage from our taxi. While we were only about the second in line at check in, it did take quite a while and seemed to be a lengthy process. The staff were very friendly though. After that was done we walked to the next building to our rooms which were oceanview deluxe. It was definitely worth the upgrade! A beautiful balcony to sit out on and watch the sunrise and ocean. We had dinner the first night at Willy Broadheads (buffet). It was okay. Wasn't an abundance of selection but for $20 it was decent. They were out of the local beer (Sands) which seemed a little odd, and then ran out of the other Bahamian beer (Kalik).

The next day we had the breakfast buffet which had lots of options for about $12. Omelette station, bacon, eggs, sausage, cereal, pastries etc. Not too busy either which was nice.

We headed over to the market place across the street. Note: the straw markets in Freeport are not like ones you would find in Nassau, no designer purses :( almost every booth had the same things to offer and they all try to sell the women these magnetic bracelets that turn into necklaces (they were actually pretty neat). We ate most of our meals at different restaurants in the market place rather than the hotel as the hotel was pretty pricey. Lots of options and the people in Freeport are VERY friendly! I'd recommend Cappucino's for their $10.95 pasta and wine btwn 5-6pm! Also the After Deck and Zorba's for breakfast were great!

The wedding took place Saturday afternoon and it was absolutely gorgeous!!! Such a beautiful location to get married. The food was mediocre but wasn't a huge deal as we were there to celebrate the happy couple!

Make sure you visit Hammerheads - the swim up and regular bar at the pool. Soloman and Audley were fantastic! Great service. Pauline at China Beach was also very nice, we had her twice.

The only downfall was in the rooms. The bathtub/shower needs some updating, the drain was pretty gross with lots of build up around it. Also, on the last day as I was packing up I noticed ants crawling around on the desk. I let the front desk know so hopefully housekeeping got it taken care of.

We would definitely come back to this hotel. Although I would avoid an all inclusive as it includes the buffet and there just isn't enough choice to enjoy every day. The market place is where you should go to eat for sure. Everyone in town and at the hotel was VERY friendly and left a great impression! Hopefully we'll be back :)

Room Tip: It's worth the upgrade to oceanview!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Hi cbaileyy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience while visiting us here at the Grand Lucayan. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful staff and that you were able to experience the beautiful ocean and sunrise from your balcony. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time out of your day to rate us on trip advisor and for being so thorough. Come back and see us soon.

Grand Lucayan Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

After the stressful day in and outs, my friend and I decided to book a 4 day getaway at the Grand Lucayan in Freeport, Bahamas. Little did we know that the stress would seep into our time spent there. We booked All Inclusive and we seemed to be the ones having to educate the staff there on what that meant. Not to mention feeling second rate for booking this package. One of the nights they decided to close the all inclusive restaurant early leaving us to starve or pay. We had to speak to management and simply say that this is not negotiable we are needing them to accommodate us at one of their other restaurants. The staff working at the restaurants were rude and unapproachable feeling uncomfortable to simply ask for a cup of water. While checking out they stated we had a $950 food bill to pay and had to reexplain that we were All Inclusive and that they had made an error.

The resort has some major making up to do at this point. We lost what was supposed to be island charm on this ridiculous lack of training on something the resort has chose to offer.

MANAGEMENT: I am waiting on a response posted or private messaged regarding what you plan to do about this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Well her I come.. Very excited... checking in on Monday. Will do a comprehensive write up at the end. This will be the last vacation I will ever be able to take with my kids. So.... I hope it is all I have been dreaming about! I asked for a room on on of the top couple of floors... they couldn't guarantee but it seems it will happen! Wish me luck!!! Barbara

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hello Barbara,

I absolutely love that you gave us a pre-travel rating of 5. I hope we live up to it! :D). Enjoy this special time with your children!!

Grand Lucayan Management.
Oyster Bay, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

What a wonderful hotel, I had two rooms. Unfortunately one room was Immaculate while my second room was horrendous. My second room smelled of urine, the door would not lock properly and the rug smelled of mildew. My first room was available immediately, while my second room took 1 hour to prepare.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place was great. The view, the pools, the hot tubs, restaurants, staff, and the room was wonderful. We had a room with a balcony- definitely worth it. The worst part of the experience was the check in. SO SLOW. We flew a long way and just wanted to get in our room to take a nap. Other than that, everything was great. The gym could use a little updating but I would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi Nichole R,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on trip advisor. So pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan. We apologize for the delay in your check in, and sincerely appreciate the feedback. We hope you come back and see us again.

Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just spent the weekend at the Grand Lucayan and couldn't have asked for better. The staff were amazing. Emma took great care of our room, very clean, spacious. Jabar, who was perhaps the bell captain, and his staff went well beyond being helpful. I foolishly left my purse in the backseat of our taxi which had delivered us from the airport. I didn't discover it missing til after we had checked in - I was frantic. My passport, credit cards, money, ipad and kobo! Gone. Jabar & three others went to work and tracked down the cab driver and I had it back within the hour! The rest of the weekend was so relaxing, we spent it at the pool and on the beach. It is close to the Port Lucayan Marketplace, where there are lots of shops and restaurants but the Grand Lucayan has great food both at Churchill's and the poolside grill. Phone charges are expensive, even local calls.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view room - but even if you get the other side, it's not terrible - you can wat...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Nancy A,

Thanks for your kind words. We are so pleased to hear that Jabar and the team were able to track down the taxi and recover your purse. :0) Thanks for sharing your story on TripAdvisor. Love to hear that you found your stay so relaxing. Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely, Grand Lucayan Management
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Today is our 2nd day here at the Grand Lucaya (yes, we're still here) and I must say it is very disappointing. I feel like we flushed $1,500 down the toilet. We have a so called “all inclusive” package only to find out it is really semi inclusive. There are so many gray areas in the package!! EVERYONE working at the hotel is confused about the “all inclusive package”; no one has a clue on what’s included and what’s not. Every restaurant or bar we’ve been to has to call the office to find out what’s included in the “all inclusive package.” The best types of meals are not included, bottled wine is not included, top shelf deluxe is not included, the bar is not included in the package and we all know that most people come to resorts for the bar, beach, and relaxation!!! On top of ALL OF THAT…service on the property is extremely slow and oddly most of the people are not that welcoming. Honestly, they have no clue. The first night we came we found a remote control under the covers which led us to believe that they never properly changed the sheets in the first place. The ad promoted that they have daycare on the facility..that’s a BIG FAT LIE!! So, to those that are coming with kids…be aware there is no daycare. The hotel is extremely dead if you want to do something fun bring a lot of $$ with you as there is NOTHING included in the resort. There is no activity under $45. On a good note, the hotel is nice I give it a 7 out of 10, the rooms are nice but small, the beach is really nice and clean..I give it a 10. The food on site is 4 out of 10 not great but you can keep it down in order to avoid starvation!! With the horrible service and confusion I would consider this being one of the worst resort that I’ve been too!! I read the reviews before I came here and I’m starting to think they’re all fake!

Room Tip: If you really want to come...stay away from the lower floors as the AC units are extremly loud.I hon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Sophie,

We are very sad to hear that you had such a poor experience at the Grand Lucayan. Our All Inclusive Program is very new to us, and is a very large program, and as most things when newly unveiled, they have a few bugs. And with feedback like yours we are better able to see where we need to make improvement.

We pride ourselves on providing our guest with exceptional customer service and we take each negative review and comment very seriously. While not an excuse, I think you were among the first guests to experience our brand new all-inclusive program, and we sincerely apologize if you felt that some of our staff was a little underprepared to meet your needs with good immediacy and attention.

Our guest services manager remembers his dealings with you and has made sure that all bars and restaurants have been made fully aware of all offerings so there will be no hesitation or confusion in the future. We also were under the impression that we had resolved the issue to your satisfaction while you were staying with us. If that is not the case, please feel free to reach out to us.

We would also like to address some of the other concerns that you outlined in your review: Firstly, the premium alcohol surcharge: All of competing all-inclusive resorts have surcharges for premium alcohol and bottled wine, so this is not something out of the norm. Secondly, as far as our restaurant offerings: We offer 2 high-end restaurants in the all-inclusive plan, including China Beach and Iris’ Bar, both excellent values.

In addition, we include our outdoor Fish Fry event, which takes place every Wednesday at 6pm, Friday Night Bahamian Buffet at Willy Broadleaf’s as well as Champaign Brunch on Sunday’s. I have also included a full list of all of the restaurants included in the all-inclusive plan.

In regards to your concerns that we do no offer day-care, we do, in fact, offer day care. This can be arranged by guest services, but is not included in the all-inclusive plan as this is a private service, run by certified childcare experts.

The all-inclusive plan also includes non-motorized watersports, such as Hobbie cat sailing, windsurfing, kayaking. Our water sports desk is located on the beach next to the pool deck at the Hammerheads Bar.

In addition, daily activities are included in this program; featuring Yoga classes, beach Volleyball, Water aerobics, golf swing lessons and much more. Tennis, on any one of our 4 Grand Slam course is also included.

The hotel does not directly provide island activities or excursions, perhaps that is what you you were referring to when you said you couldn’t find any activity under $45? However, we do work with several excursion operators, and the island has a range of fun activities for the whole family.

The all inclusive program was launched with the intention of giving our valued customers an all-encompassing vacation package at a great value. Your feedback has been heard and it is greatly appreciated.

Regarding your comment about the “Fake reviews” Trip Advisor has a very strict policy regarding user reviews, and we can only hope that the frequency and variation would testify to them being genuine in nature. We take great care to attend to each one individually to ensure guest satisfaction, as you can see.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Willy Broadleaf’s - Breakfast – 7:00am – 10:30am – Daily

Hammerheads Bar- Lunch – 11:00am – 5:00pm –Daily:

Bar Service Sunday – Wednesday & Saturday, 10:00am -6:00pm: Thursday & Friday -10:00am -8:30pm

Havana Cay Cigar Bar –Bar Service – 5:00pm – 12midnight - Daily

China Grill - Lunch & Bar– 11:00am – 5:00pm- Daily
Dinner & Bar -5:30pm – 9:30pm –Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday

Willy Broadleaf’s - Buffet Dinner – 6:00pm – 10:00pm
(Open Friday nights only and Sunday Brunch -12:00pm -4:00pm).

Iries Restaurant - Lunch & Bar Service – 11:00am – 6:00 pm

China Beach - Dinner & Bar Service - 6:00pm – 10:00pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!