“Watch the rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Save Saved
You added Grand Lucayan, Bahamas to your Saves list
Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Sea Horse Road | Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #4 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Oyster Bay, New York
“Watch the rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

What a wonderful hotel, I had two rooms. Unfortunately one room was Immaculate while my second room was horrendous. My second room smelled of urine, the door would not lock properly and the rug smelled of mildew. My first room was available immediately, while my second room took 1 hour to prepare.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

1,535 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place was great. The view, the pools, the hot tubs, restaurants, staff, and the room was wonderful. We had a room with a balcony- definitely worth it. The worst part of the experience was the check in. SO SLOW. We flew a long way and just wanted to get in our room to take a nap. Other than that, everything was great. The gym could use a little updating but I would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi Nichole R,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on trip advisor. So pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan. We apologize for the delay in your check in, and sincerely appreciate the feedback. We hope you come back and see us again.

Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just spent the weekend at the Grand Lucayan and couldn't have asked for better. The staff were amazing. Emma took great care of our room, very clean, spacious. Jabar, who was perhaps the bell captain, and his staff went well beyond being helpful. I foolishly left my purse in the backseat of our taxi which had delivered us from the airport. I didn't discover it missing til after we had checked in - I was frantic. My passport, credit cards, money, ipad and kobo! Gone. Jabar & three others went to work and tracked down the cab driver and I had it back within the hour! The rest of the weekend was so relaxing, we spent it at the pool and on the beach. It is close to the Port Lucayan Marketplace, where there are lots of shops and restaurants but the Grand Lucayan has great food both at Churchill's and the poolside grill. Phone charges are expensive, even local calls.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view room - but even if you get the other side, it's not terrible - you can wat...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Nancy A,

Thanks for your kind words. We are so pleased to hear that Jabar and the team were able to track down the taxi and recover your purse. :0) Thanks for sharing your story on TripAdvisor. Love to hear that you found your stay so relaxing. Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely, Grand Lucayan Management
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Today is our 2nd day here at the Grand Lucaya (yes, we're still here) and I must say it is very disappointing. I feel like we flushed $1,500 down the toilet. We have a so called “all inclusive” package only to find out it is really semi inclusive. There are so many gray areas in the package!! EVERYONE working at the hotel is confused about the “all inclusive package”; no one has a clue on what’s included and what’s not. Every restaurant or bar we’ve been to has to call the office to find out what’s included in the “all inclusive package.” The best types of meals are not included, bottled wine is not included, top shelf deluxe is not included, the bar is not included in the package and we all know that most people come to resorts for the bar, beach, and relaxation!!! On top of ALL OF THAT…service on the property is extremely slow and oddly most of the people are not that welcoming. Honestly, they have no clue. The first night we came we found a remote control under the covers which led us to believe that they never properly changed the sheets in the first place. The ad promoted that they have daycare on the facility..that’s a BIG FAT LIE!! So, to those that are coming with kids…be aware there is no daycare. The hotel is extremely dead if you want to do something fun bring a lot of $$ with you as there is NOTHING included in the resort. There is no activity under $45. On a good note, the hotel is nice I give it a 7 out of 10, the rooms are nice but small, the beach is really nice and clean..I give it a 10. The food on site is 4 out of 10 not great but you can keep it down in order to avoid starvation!! With the horrible service and confusion I would consider this being one of the worst resort that I’ve been too!! I read the reviews before I came here and I’m starting to think they’re all fake!

Room Tip: If you really want to come...stay away from the lower floors as the AC units are extremly loud.I hon...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hi Sophie,

We are very sad to hear that you had such a poor experience at the Grand Lucayan. Our All Inclusive Program is very new to us, and is a very large program, and as most things when newly unveiled, they have a few bugs. And with feedback like yours we are better able to see where we need to make improvement.

We pride ourselves on providing our guest with exceptional customer service and we take each negative review and comment very seriously. While not an excuse, I think you were among the first guests to experience our brand new all-inclusive program, and we sincerely apologize if you felt that some of our staff was a little underprepared to meet your needs with good immediacy and attention.

Our guest services manager remembers his dealings with you and has made sure that all bars and restaurants have been made fully aware of all offerings so there will be no hesitation or confusion in the future. We also were under the impression that we had resolved the issue to your satisfaction while you were staying with us. If that is not the case, please feel free to reach out to us.

We would also like to address some of the other concerns that you outlined in your review: Firstly, the premium alcohol surcharge: All of competing all-inclusive resorts have surcharges for premium alcohol and bottled wine, so this is not something out of the norm. Secondly, as far as our restaurant offerings: We offer 2 high-end restaurants in the all-inclusive plan, including China Beach and Iris’ Bar, both excellent values.

In addition, we include our outdoor Fish Fry event, which takes place every Wednesday at 6pm, Friday Night Bahamian Buffet at Willy Broadleaf’s as well as Champaign Brunch on Sunday’s. I have also included a full list of all of the restaurants included in the all-inclusive plan.

In regards to your concerns that we do no offer day-care, we do, in fact, offer day care. This can be arranged by guest services, but is not included in the all-inclusive plan as this is a private service, run by certified childcare experts.

The all-inclusive plan also includes non-motorized watersports, such as Hobbie cat sailing, windsurfing, kayaking. Our water sports desk is located on the beach next to the pool deck at the Hammerheads Bar.

In addition, daily activities are included in this program; featuring Yoga classes, beach Volleyball, Water aerobics, golf swing lessons and much more. Tennis, on any one of our 4 Grand Slam course is also included.

The hotel does not directly provide island activities or excursions, perhaps that is what you you were referring to when you said you couldn’t find any activity under $45? However, we do work with several excursion operators, and the island has a range of fun activities for the whole family.

The all inclusive program was launched with the intention of giving our valued customers an all-encompassing vacation package at a great value. Your feedback has been heard and it is greatly appreciated.

Regarding your comment about the “Fake reviews” Trip Advisor has a very strict policy regarding user reviews, and we can only hope that the frequency and variation would testify to them being genuine in nature. We take great care to attend to each one individually to ensure guest satisfaction, as you can see.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Willy Broadleaf’s - Breakfast – 7:00am – 10:30am – Daily

Hammerheads Bar- Lunch – 11:00am – 5:00pm –Daily:

Bar Service Sunday – Wednesday & Saturday, 10:00am -6:00pm: Thursday & Friday -10:00am -8:30pm

Havana Cay Cigar Bar –Bar Service – 5:00pm – 12midnight - Daily

China Grill - Lunch & Bar– 11:00am – 5:00pm- Daily
Dinner & Bar -5:30pm – 9:30pm –Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday

Willy Broadleaf’s - Buffet Dinner – 6:00pm – 10:00pm
(Open Friday nights only and Sunday Brunch -12:00pm -4:00pm).

Iries Restaurant - Lunch & Bar Service – 11:00am – 6:00 pm

China Beach - Dinner & Bar Service - 6:00pm – 10:00pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this great hotel across from the Port Lucaya Marketplace for 7 days during Hurricane Sandy and I cannot say enough good things about the resort itself as well as the staff. The beaches and pools are gorgeous and clean and so spacious. We never had to worry about finding the perfect spot to sun bath or have quiet time alone. The infinity pool at the far end of the resort has a platform so you can put your chair right in the water to stay cool. We walked the beach every morning for the sunrise and spent countless hours playing frisbee and swimming. The resort is very safe and secure and going to the marketplace across the street, even at night, is no big deal. The marketplace is very family friendly and has wonderful food. Top highlight is definitely Cafe Breeze. We ate at this restaurant 6 times and we each had something different everytime. Wow, the food and service at Cafe Breeze is fabulous. Do not miss the french dip sandwich, the Latino sandwich, the breakfast club, and last but not least the fried grouper. Not to mention the Nutella crepes!!! The prices are very reasonable and the wait staff is so warm and friendly. Zorba's is also another favorite. Loved their breakfast and the Gyros are to die for. When the hurricane came through the staff members at the Grand Lucayan went out of their way to make everyone safe and comfortable. They kept us with electricity and water and set out a buffet three times a day for three days on a very limited staff. Considering the conditions I don't know what else they could have done to make us comfortable. Michel the bartender was a real sweetheart and worked his butt off for three days!!! At one point they even drained part of one of the pools so we could have water for flushing!!! Our tenth floor ocean room was spacious and clean and the balcony was awesome for sunrise and evening cocktails. The bartenders at the Hammerhead poolside bar were fun and engaging and were a big part of the fun experience beach and poolside. My only complaint is that the music from the two different speaker systems were loud and kind of blended together to make for some awful noise. They should coordinate the music a little better. To save a little money we took a small cooler and bought beer across the street at the marketplace but the mornings were a perfect time for the Pina Colada and Mango daquiri's. We had poolside lunch one day which was good but you just can't beat the marketplace for the best meals and best prices. I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: It is a little extra but go for the ocean view. You don't want to be over the air conditioners w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Nicole R,

Wow. Let me just say. I am blushing. :0) Thank you so much for taking the time to write us this wonderful review. I look forward to sharing it with our staff. So glad we were able to make your stay with us pleasant and relaxing, despite the hurricane. Thanks again for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor.

Cotter, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I spent 2 nights at three days at this hotel. Awesome experience. Located across the street from the market place and the Marina. Great staff, wonderful security, I plan to go back again. Only complaint I can report is that the last morning for some reason our hot water wasn't hot....;0( but it was fine the previous day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi Cindy C,

So glad you chose to spend your birthday with us. I'm so glad it was a memorable experience. I sincerely apologize for he lack of hot water you experienced on your last day. Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor and for bringing this to our attention. Come back and see us again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a nice time at this resort. The pool food and drinks were good. They seemed a little understaffed at the restaurant but we got our food pretty fast. The room was nice, we had a room overlooking the city of Freeport, the marketplace and the marina. It was gorgeous. The water was so beautiful and clear in different hues of blue but very salty. We went snorkeling in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and had a fabulous time even though the waves were a little choppy.

This is simply a nice getaway for a couple to three days as they dot have much to offer except the locals sweating you to buy from their booth in the marketplace. I witnessed only 2 vendors sweating folks on the beach but I tried to ignore them. This was my first trip to the Bahamas and definitely not my last.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello zlpalmer,

So glad you got to enjoy a couples getaway with us here at the Grand Lucayan. WE sincerely appreciate you taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. So glad that you chose to spend your first experience in the bahamas with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Grand Lucayan Management

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!