First of all, we were told that there were two types of accommodations at the Grand Lucayan - the Radisson (high-rise hotel rooms) and the Reef (low-rise condo-type rooms). We chose the Reef and learned from our taxi driver that the Reef had been closed for 2 years!!!!
When we arrived at the hotel, they couldn't find our reservation because they apparently had it misspelled (although it was spelled correctly on all my email confirmation from them). We were told that our room wasn't ready yet and waited for several hours until the designated time (although everyone else's rooms were ready).
When we went back at the designated time, my name was still misspelled and the room was still not ready.
On our third attempt to check in, the staff member corrected my name in the computer and (not surprisingly to us) assigned us a room in the high-rise building. I stated that I'd prefer to have the accommodations that we booked, but there was really nothing that he could do because the Reef has been closed. I asked how long it had been closed (since I'd only booked the reservations the month before) but it was obvious that he had been trained to be evasive in answering (I can't imagine that I could have been the only one offered accommodations in the condos). I do want to mention that this gentleman was very polite and tried to be very helpful.
Anyway, the room was horrible. Room 527 was exactly what we were hoping to avoid when booking a high-rise. It overlooked several lower buildings and all of the air conditioning equipment. We could not open our balcony doors because the noise (from the air conditioners) was very loud. Oh, and did I mention that they were considering this an Upgrade from my original reservations?
The room was clean. Towels were clean and soft. There was shampoo, conditioner and soap.
The pool and beach area was nice. It gets a bit crowded during the day because of the day-cruisers but it certainly wasn't over-crowded. I suggest that you just walk up to the bar for a drink. It takes a very long time for the runners to come back with your order.
The beach is beautiful. Once you get back a small rocky area, it is a beautiful mile long walk to the jetty if you head to the right.
Apparently, you have to ask for a wristband. We were not given one during any of our three attempts to check in. Every morning when we were walking on the beach, security would come up to us and ask where our wristbands were. We just stated that we weren't given one and that was that. Also, we were asked about our wristbands one night after returning from dinner - at the time we were using our ROOM KEY to enter the front gate. I'm not sure where or why you're supposed to have wristbands, but it's sure a hassle having to explain that you don't have one a couple of times each day.
I didn't eat in the restaurants - there were just too many good ones across the street at the market. I did have a burger at the poolside bar which was mediocre.
This place is okay. But our main purpose of this stay was to relax. Between the check in process, the loud ac noises in the rooms and the wristband police, it definitely wasn't the calm, peaceful relaxing experience that we were hoping for.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island
- Radisson Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Is
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan is an elegant, serene AAA four-diamond resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. As part of Grand Lucayan Bahamas Beach & Golf Resort, this 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a Resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Splendia, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., JackRabbit Systems, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.