We visited here while in port on a cruise. We didn't stay at the resort but instead purchased day passes. It was the best part of our whole cruise!
The grounds are amazing-never ending pools overlooking the ocean with swim up bars and negative edges. Steel drums play.....the drinks are very reasonable for island resort at a pool bar...I think they were $6.00 a piece and were relatively strong with just enough ice. There were abundant lounge chairs in all areas of sun and shade. The beach was wonderful and there were chairs there also.....the vendors were very nice and not aggressive or pushy like in some parts. There were a few hair braiders and besides that just the banana boat people and a dolphin trip tour guide. Billy Joes is just a quick walk down the beach and supposedly serves up wonderful Bahamian dishes. We just relaxed with cocktails in the pool and swam on the beach and then walked across the street to Port Lucaya marketplace for lunch.
If you are on a cruise and want to do this it is $30/pp for a day pass. Yes-that's kind of high to use a hotel resort for a day AND have to pay for drinks, whatever on top, but it was a real steal compared to the the $79-$100+ the ship excursions cost for beach excursions. When you get off the ship and go to the taxi area the best bet is to ask to go to OUR LUCAYA marketplace. We made the mistake of telling them the resort we wanted and the first bus driver lied and said it was shut down and she had a better place to take us to and the next bus driver really wanted to sell us "his own better beach tour"....You have to just really stand your ground. It will be $5.00/pp each way. It's okay if they want to charge you $10.00 up front and give you a voucher for return......it's okay/safe and they come back. We went with "Curry" Bus service. They WILL pack the bus full as it gets before they leave though-as will all others.
The ride from port takes about 15-25 minutes. Once you get out you basically want to cross the street from the market and head towards the casino area the "our Lucaya". Walk like you are going to the beach and there will be a little white hut where the friendly people will sell you arm bands for a day. You can use the entire resort/towels, etc. for this price and can come and go.
I've heard other people saying they just snuck in.....several people tried to do this from several different entry points when we were there and there was security at each one turning them away.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island
- Radisson Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Is
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan is an elegant, serene AAA four-diamond resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. As part of Grand Lucayan Bahamas Beach & Golf Resort, this 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a Resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Splendia, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., JackRabbit Systems, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.