“Too expensive” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Fish

Flying Fish
Seahorse Road Between Pelican Bay & Grand Lucayan Hotels, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
+1 242-373-4363
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 98 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: With unmatched service & attention to detail, Flying Fish offers a blend of traditional & modernist cuisine techniques not used anywhere else in the Bahamas. Focusing on local seafood & indigenous ingredients prepared with the utmost skill & creativity. Flying Fish boasts an in-house sommelier. Chef Tim Tibbitts is named in the Top 25 Chefs for 2014 in the Caribbean by Caribbean Journal. The restaurant has also been named one of the Top 5 in the Caribbean, is Fodor recommended for Grand Bahama Island and has been awarded 4 Diamond rating by AAA. Waterside dining at its finest.
“Too expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

It is a high gastronomy restaurant in a place where you dont find many options. Food was fine, but nothing that justifies the price. No "uau" at all. Service was good, but the food took one hour to reach the table. We went there because of tripadvisor and wouldnt come back. I dont recomend this one. You will pay a lot of money for an avarage food.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Best restaurant in Freeport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just had dinner here with my wife. We were very excited to dine here after checking out their website. We enjoy dining at fine restaurants and have dined at top notch restaurants such as Le Bernadin, Cafe Boulud, and Brooklyn Fare in NYC, Stella in New Orleans, Binkley's in Phoenix. Compared to the restaurants in Freeport this would have to be the best one there. The chef does take pride in his food and it does show. We did the three course tasting menu with wine pairing and each tried different entrees so we can taste a wide selection of entrees.

The entrees seemed to be a hit and miss with us. We liked some and not others. My wife tried the seared scallops for her first dish and really enjoyed it. They did have something called powdered bacon on it, which was a creative idea but not a total hit. I started with the carpaccio and it was mediocre. Not enough meat and too much other stuff. I believe a carpaccio should be a chance to show off the meat but it seemed to be lost in this dish. It was also supposed to be served with truffle but they used powdered truffle which was different and not quite what I expected. The powder was very dry tasting and it probably could have used at least some truffle oil if not real truffles.

For our main meal we had the lamb 3 ways and the lobster. I enjoyed the lobster but my wife thought they were a little overcooked and rubbery but she is very particular with her lobsters. We both thought the lamb was good but it had too much fat on it. When I prepare lamb I usually take off most of the fat because it just is not pleasant to eat. Besides that it was a very good dish.

For our third course I chose the cheese platter and my wife had the maple mousse. I really enjoyed her mousse but did not think it paired will with the sorbet it was served with. My cheese plate was very large and sampled a lot of different cheeses and it was served along with some nuts, honeycomb, and crackers.

All in all it was a good meal. Again, best in Freeport but needs a little more work to be up among the best overall for us. Don't forget that they do automatically charge 18% gratuity so you don't need to leave any more unless you desire. They also charged us $7 for still water that I believe was unnecessary. The other restaurants we dined at in Freeport did not charge us for water and since it was not sparkling or bottled, I didn't think we needed to be charged that as well. We would dine here again and think it is a great restaurant with a good meal for a good deal.

P.S. I don't fault the restaurant for this but there was a very loud table of 7 that was making so much noise, laughing out loudly to the point they were banging on the table that it really took our meal down a few notches. We could barely here us talking to each other or even the servers presenting the meals and wines to us. The restaurant is very loud and echos sounds too well. It could do with more sound absorbing curtains to help bring the noise level down a bit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Gastronomic Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is by far one of the best restaurants my husband and I have eaten at. The husband (chef) and wife (hostess) team were so warm and friendly and made you feel welcome from the get-go. The service was impeccable and the food was to die for. Chef Tim is a masterful, imaginative chef who is at the top of his game with such fresh and vibrant ingredients - every bite was a delight. We each went for the 3-course selection and oooh'd and ahhh'd with every bite. I would say the price was very reasonable for the quality of food we experienced. Kudos to everyone at the Flying Fish. Helen C

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

By far the best restaurant on Grand Bahama and this is the result of the people behind it working incredibly hard.

The vast majority of restaurants on the island serve the same kind of mid-standard American food but this is something else. Any bad reviews here are ignoring this fact. The prices reflect the excellent quality of the ingredients; if you are interested in a big plateful of fried brown food for under $10 then there are plenty of other places to choose from. If you want a special dinner with all love and care paid to what you eat and drink, come here.

Some of the dishes are on the experimental side and won't be 100% to everyone's taste, but who needs another "safe" grouper-and-fries place? On all three of my visits, any hint of one of us not being happy with what we were eating was dealt with immediately by the management (and bear in mind they had only just opened, there were a few teething problems which I'm sure they've ironed out now). They care!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York and Chicago
“phenomenal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was told by some locals that while the food was tasty, the portion size was small, but I completely disagree. We did the 3 course menu paired with the wine flight and were completely satisfied. The food, service, and presentation were phenomenal- only miss was the salmon and scallop "osso bucco" which was over salted. But even that won't deter me from a 5 star rating.

Visited January 2013