“LOVED IT” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Providence, Rhode Island
“LOVED IT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We loved it so much, we bought here and came back and got married here right on the beach! Would recommend this resort to friends and family, and did!! We loved the staff and all of the activities available at the resort. We also enjoyed the island itself on our own. Great place and island!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

869 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Denver, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

When we first arrived, we were given a room that was already booked. How I found out, I walked in to the room and notice lights on but thought they did that for us. Then I turned and saw the kitchen with food out and suitcases. I was glad I was not pepper sprayed or worse for walking in to an occupied unit!! We were booked in another room, marina side and told to call reservations to move in the morning. We did not unpack and called in the morning and moved to the main resort. What a difference!! We all felt we had moved out of grandma's basement and felt like we were in a caribbean resort! Much better furniture, beds, flat screen tv in living area and an upgraded feel. Big difference!

BEWARE! If you get internet/wifi, it is PER DEVICE!!! NOT PER ROOM AS PER ADVERTISED ON THE INFO SHEET!! Very expensive, expecially per device. If you need to do some business or check on family, you will want to go to town and can usually hit a free wifi. This is absolutely ridiculous for a resort of this size to not offer wifi access anywhere on grounds. They do provide a computer but is usually occupied.

You will need to bring small necessities, roll of papertowels, spices, snacks, fruit juices as groceries will be 2-3 times more. There is laundry on site and never once experienced a shortage in towels - ktichen, bath or beach. You may also want to bring a magic eraser, you will experience dirty feet from the floors. It is a beach environment. You will need for your shower or own feet!

I woud recommend a rental car. This will allow you freedoms to roam about the island, shopping and grocery. Drive to West End and go to Paradise Cove, very good snorkeling and Gold Rock Beach, part of Lucuyan Natl Forest, for the most beautiful beach!

Enjoyed Bernies for the bonfire and dinner, very gracious and enjoyable. Nice beach and the grounds and units are clean. I would recommend only if able to get on the ocean side. My 3 stars are based on ocean side units.

Room Tip: Get Ocean side, marina side feels like you are in a basement with sub quality furnishings.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewer_Island_Seas, Marketing Employee at Island Seas Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
The management at Island Seas again apologizes for the unfortunate mistake which occurred when you checked in. This type of scheduling error is uncommon and embarrassing, and we will continue to work on Saturday check-in procedures. We agree that our ocean units offer more of the relaxing, resort experience and most people prefer to stay there (which is why our ongoing room renovations began there). However, some vacationers truly need to relax and rewind with a quieter, slower atmosphere and our marina side offers that option. The renovations in those rooms are underway now as well. We are glad that you enjoyed the week with us and hope that you’ll return soon.
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I've re-written this review twice now in an effort to be both accurate and balanced. I hope this is helpful to you.

Coconuts is the tiki-bar right next to the pool in the middle of the resort. It had the normal amenities you would expect including flat screen TV's and quite a few ceiling fans. The bar area was comfortable. The local beer, Kalik, was quite good. One of the "weird" things about this place was that they could only serve a house white wine or red wine from the bar. If you wanted a glass of wine from the menu someone would have to go into the nearby restaurant, Seagrape Grille. Often, the bartender would send you into Seagrape to buy your wine rather than going themselves.

The two best drinks you can get from Coconuts are either the local beer or a glass of wine. All of the prepared drinks you can order are worse than awful. Why? There is practically no alcohol in the drinks. The bartenders MUST use a device that meters how much alcohol goes into a drink and I can assure you that it is not the typical amount you would expect at a beach resort. Fortunately, I read reviews like this from other travelers prior to my flight and was prepared. I purchases a couple liters of duty free vodka prior to leaving Miami and so I was well positioned to "spike" my drinks after purchase.

My fiancé and I were at the resort for my birthday and she treated me to dinner at Seagrape. We only ate there that one time. The restaurant special, Parmesan-crusted Tilapia, looked and tasted more like shake-and-bake crusted Tilapia. Very disappointing, and the last time we ate there. Like many other guests, we went to the grocery store and purchased food to prepare in our rooms.

There is a small convenience store located at the resort. No fresh foods or meats but it was quite handy for drinks and snacks, and for coffee filters and coffee.

I originally had booked a 2-bedroom unit but I only needed a 1 bedroom. After reading other reviews on this site I asked at check in to be able to move into a 1 bedroom, especially if it was an ocean front unit. To my surprise, and sincere appreciation, I was given a 1 bedroom ocean front room that normally is reserved for owners. The room was spacious and very nice inside and is the reason why I give the resort 3 stars in this review. While I enjoyed the room very much I must admit that the smallish double-bed was very uncomfortable. By the time I left at the end of the week I was looking forward to sleeping in my own bed, and I can tell you that my first night home in bed was wonderful!

The pool area is very nice and it was every enjoyable sitting out at the pool and soaking in the Sun, sipping on my self-spiked drinks, and chatting with my fiancé.

After reading other reviews about the poor quality of the wifi I decided not to pay for wireless internet. I didn't miss it.

TV in the bedroom and living area were nice. The cable TV selection available was quite extensive and I was pleasantly surprised by that.

There is an extensive library of DVD's available for rental in the office. I have a couple of issues with this though. First, there is only one person in the entire resort who is able to rent DVD's to you. When my fiancé tried to rent some DVD's that person had had an emergency and left the property. I couldn't understand why only one person could rent DVD's!? It makes no sense. Later, when we did get a couple of movies (cheap too!) my second issue surfaced. My fiancé were really struggling to understand the dialog in the movie when it started to play. Turning up the volume was no help. And then, much to our surprise and amusement, we saw the outline of people walking in and sitting down to watch the movie!!! The DVD was a bootleg that someone had video-taped using a hand held camcorder in a movie theater!!! We had a good laugh at that (the people who came into the theater late...) and stopped the movie and returned them. I encourage everyone to NOT RENT DVD's from these thieves.

All in all, if the food in Seagrapes had been just a little better and the bartenders had been allowed to make decent drinks this would be a resort getting a 4 or 5 star review from me. The only reason it gets a 3 star is we super-enjoyed our ocean front room. I don't think I'll be back.

Room Tip: Definitely ocean-front although even pool view or courtyard view should be nice. Do NOT get the 2 b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewer_Island_Seas, Public Relations Manager at Island Seas Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for the detailed review of our resort. Through reviews like yours, we can work on improvements and reinforce what is working well. We hope you and your fiance will return to relax and rewind, and you can see our progress in becoming the best vacation resort!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have been here beofr a few years ago and yet again such a lovely resort.
Rooms - Very clean - Clean towels daily if needed- We had kettle, coffee maker, toaster, fridge frezzer, hair dryer. Also so much space in the appartment
Island Sea has the best beach and believe me we drove the whole of the island and no beach was as clean and relaxing as the one right on the resort. Daily beach towels and sun loungers. The sea is crystal clear i would advise take some beach shoes as there are sea erchins ( and some where white) you can walk out so far, you can feed the fish and there is even and Eagel sting ray and other little black sting rays - nothing to worry about. if I cud live there I would. we had food at Michelles was very nice would recomend the jerk pork mmmm.
On a final note the staff make this resort and would go out of thier way to help you in anyway possible!!! Thank you to every one who works there....

Room Tip: Book here thats my tip!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Almeda, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Some friends invited us to go with them but we were a little nervous about some of the reviews. Having never traveled outside the US, we had heard stories from our friends about crime and so forth too.
The Bahamas and this resort we found to be really nice and a great choice. We loved the people there and had a relaxing, enjoyable time.
The rooms we thought were fine for a beach stay, we were on the Marina side. We planned a couple of activities a day like the Pier 1 restaurant, where they feed the big sharks right off the balcony. The Garden of the Groves was really nice and took a couple of trips to the Lacaya market area, the second time was because we missed breakfast at the resort. We walked down the beach one day and went to Bernie's bonfire for dinner. We only stayed 3 days.
We enjoyed the food and the beauty of it all but mainly I think the people of the Bahamas gave us a sense of Island Time that we brought back with us, yah man.

Room Tip: If you have a 2 bedroom and this is not your home base you have to stay on the "other side"...
Ocean, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Can someone please respond as to whether activities such as jet skiing, snorkeling, and horseback riding are available and easy to book at Island Seas Resort? The website says that they are, but many reviewers have written that there is not much to do at the resort. We're traveling with four boys, ages 10 to 16 and we want to make sure there is plenty to keep them occupied before we confirm our reservations. Thanks so much!
:-) Laura

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Coal Valley, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were there 10/27 thru 11/3 2013 Absoultely beautifu weather. Mid 80. Old average area. but They did everything possible to present it. Was painted to maintain a clean look, The landscaping was very well maintained and very nice. Would have to been on Beach front, but we had a good view anyway. was on 3 rd floor and could look out over the pool and onto the beach. Room was an average room, the furnishings were very outdated and in dire need of replacement. The Bed was as hard as sleeping on the floor. Husband and I took turns sleeping half night on couch and the other half on bed. The couch was not that great either for sleeping, cushions wore down badly, but at least had some softness to them. The floor was all tile which is o.k. I have tile at home, but I can walk barefoot at home and my feet stayed white did not turn black, there was sand build up along the floor and wall and corners where they meet. A shop vac once in a while would work wonders. Bare essentials in kitchen, but good enough to make do. We loved the fact that when you would go to your room the stairs that led to your room led to yours and one other. There were no long halls with adjoining doors, hence there was no traffic running by the doors at all hours. However the stairs have not seen soap and water in ages. Were really bad, several places looked like left over areas where someone lost their dinner and it just dried there. Stove and refrigerator in very good condition, dishwahser not so, it was a cheap model very flimsy and LOUD. Had to get a replacement coffee pot right away, it was broke, and the second one which we had to call about two time was also broke. Finally the third one worked. I was very surprised they were changing towels often, other resorts will do once a week, they were willing to do everyday if you wanted. We did not towels that often, they took them one day and never came back with any until we had to call late at night when we wanted to shower. So we kept the same ones for the last 3 days. Get ready for price sticker shock. The resort takes you to the grocery store once a week on Monday, it you need something else you will need to find a way. TAXI, be careful there, it cost 25 dollars to take a taxi from airport. so if you go to store plan on adding 50 bucks to you shopping trip. they have convient store on property, convient if you need something convient they take your money. I realize they have to pay import fees but things are marked up so high its unreal. Grocery store prices are twice or three times as much in U.S. . If you drink coffee, tea need sugar or creamer, salt or pepper other spices, throw them in your suitcase when you pack. We always take small items like that, dont forget the coffee filters, Most resorts supply at least a couple to get you started, not here. they will sell you enough for the week at the convience store for an arm and leg. Resort is isolated somewhat but they do provide tansportation to St Lucaya several times a day which we were thankful for. Wifi is 70 bucks a week. Food average in Restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful more than willing to please and we felt they are so sincere about the way they greeted and cared for people. We found that with all the people we encountered, Our week there was an exchange, and they did have us attend a presentation on owning there, but we got half way through the presentation and did not do the tour or finish the presentation, was not somewhere we wanted to own.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewer_Island_Seas, Marketing Employee at Island Seas Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
We are glad you came to resort and sincerely hope you’ll come back to see all our renovations! We are replacing the furniture and the appliances which now make your time indoors here as wonderful as the time you spend outdoors! Our Activity Director provides many fun and exciting opportunities, including our outdoor nighttime movie night! We are glad our staff was helpful and caring….we are all here to help your vacation be relaxing and memorable.

Been to Island Seas Resort? Share your experiences!