“Not a 5 star...” 2 of 5 stars

SAVE 30% ON YOUR STAY!
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Freeport
“Not a 5 star...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I just came back from spending 6 days at Island Seas Resort. Our family of 6 stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment across the road facing the marina. This was a purchase through Interval international. We had to call maintenance several time over the first 3 days to come and fix the cable. Had to sit and wait for someone to show up each day. They blamed the cable company for the fuzzy channels. Most channels were very fuzzy. The tv was a old box type tv. On day 3 they finally changed the converter and it cleared up the channels. Had to call daily for towels because they never had enough in the morning.

The resort has a TERRIBLE problem with the beach towels. Every time we ask we were told they were not clean yet. On the last day of our stay we were brought 6 beach towels. Go figure.

The activity lady is very mediocre. The resort has an activity schedule for kids, but the activity lady does not show up for the kids activities. My husband, younger child and myself scheduled a "nature" walk. It was to start @ 9am. She finally showed up around 9:45. The tour consist of walking down the beach a little then getting on the road and walking almost to the end of the dead end road.

The lady that talked us into doing a timeshare tour promised the 3 kids a necklace the next day and when they went to see her she said she forgot and to come back the next day. They were to her the next day and she told them she had to go get some more and come back again the next day. The next day she was no where to be found. Kids were a little upset. IF YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR PROMISE DON'T OFFER A NECKLACE OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

The beach is very, very nice and clean.

The grocery store is very expensive, and Solomon supermarket, about 5 minutes from the resort is not cheap either.

On our last day we needed to print our ticket for the flight back. I needed to call the 1-800 # because I couldn't get it to print. I was told by one employee to go to front desk and they would let me use the phone but when I got to the front desk the lady told me no but I could use the pay phone that charges $4 per minute. I told her to kiss my you know what and left.

The resort needs a major overhaul. Staff needs to wake up, realize that they depend on tourists and drop the do not care attitude.

We liked the Bahamas, but we won’t be back to this resort EVER. This is a 1-2 star resort at most!

Don't wait your money on this place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Room Tip: What we in the US consider this resort a 3 star at most.

869 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Land O' Lakes, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Let me be clear that this review is for the Deep Sea Fishing option from Paradise Watersports which is part of Island Seas Resort. I did not stay at this particular resort.
So after getting up early to go on this trip and driver showing up late to pick us up we finally make it to the boat. When paying for our boarding passes they try to tack on $5 per person pick up charge which I immediately told them i was not paying for because nobody mentioned that beforehand and I had a vehicle that I could have driven the quarter mile from the resort i was staying at. When we got on the boat I noticed there were only 4 rods although there were 6 fishers. They said we would "rotate". I didn't realize I was paying $140 for a fraction of the fishing time. This must be on timeshare too like everything else over there. A 3+ hour trip and not one bite. It's deep sea fishing and I understand there are no guarantees. But when we reeled the lines in at the end of the trip to stow the rods away, three of the rods didn't even have bait on them. Who knows how long they sat out there empty. This was their fault not ours because this wasn't a trip where we controlled our own rods. They sat in rod holders until a fish was on the line as it was explained to us. So in the end it was just an overly expensive boat ride guided by two guys that were either lazy or had no clue what they were doing or both.

Burbank, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went for a week to get away with 3 friends and to spend my birthday. The resort was beautiful and the beach was everything I hoped. The hospitality was second to none. Be prepared to slow down and go on "island time." However, the shuttle service to Port Lucaya was on time every time. The room and the beds were super comfortable and clean and has all the amenities of home. The staff was amazing and they even sang to me for my birthday! Timmy was the best! It could use a few improvements such as the lack of centralized departments - the convenience store, beach towel exchange, hospitality desk, etc. Also, the food menu needs a major overhaul. Since the units are equipped with kitchens, you can always make a run to Solomon's grocery chain. Other than that, my stay was amazing and the hospitality of the people out-shined any "dings." A great value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have never met such amazing people.. Sooooo friendly, truly a breath of fresh air... I fell in love with you Bahamas n island seas.. Timmie!!!! I told U I would miss you and I do already.. Ur smile n hospitality was wonderful!! Thx for the towels:)) lol love u island seas, love Liv:)

• Stayed July 2013
US
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just came back from spending 7 days at Island Seas Resort. Our family of 5 stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment across the road facing the marina. This was a timeshare exchange through Interval. We had to be moved three times before finding a unit that was acceptable. The landscape area is beautiful, but once you get into the units that’s another story. We found broken air conditioners, old TVs, broken-dusty blinds, broken remote controls. Maintenance is poor. We had to call three times to get pillows, sheets for the sofa bed, new remote control and someone to fix the living room air conditioner. We found garbage around the pool area that should have been cleaned sooner. Housekeeping is awful. The floors are dirty and well as the toilets. They come daily to change the towels, and that’s it.

The resort has a TERRIBLE problem with the beach towels. There are no beach towels at 9 am, or 12 pm or 3 pm. They were all the time out of towels. Please invest in beach towels so people do not have to bring the unit towels to the pool/beach. I have never seen something like this in any other resort.

People are polite, but not friendly. The beach is very, very nice and clean. The grocery store is very expensive, it’s better to go to Solomon supermarket, about 5 minutes from the resort.

We liked the Bahamas, but we won’t be back to this resort. This is a 1-2 star resort!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'll start with an important caveat: we joined a group of friends at the Island Seas, one of whom was a timeshare owner. I'm not sure if that's why we weren't pressured to buy a timeshare in the way that other reviewers say they were, but we didn't attend any kind of meeting during our stay and we weren't asked once to invest.

The Island Seas is good for a relaxing beach vacation if you're equipped with your own fun. Since we traveled in a group, we had a great time. Singles would be bored to tears, and even couples might find the location too remote and the activities too sparse (there's a bar, a restaurant, a general store, and a pool).

Positives: The beach is well patrolled, well equipped, and well manicured. The employees are friendly. And the entertainment is boisterous: we had a blast at the Thursday karaoke night.

Not-so-positives: The rooms are OK, but nothing special. The beds felt old and knotty, the bathrooms are clean, but worn. And while there are shuttles to take you to nearby attractions like Port Lucaya, it's at least a 10-minute drive to get anywhere; I didn't find anything walkable.

A note about food: Bring your own snacks! Prices for goods like peanuts or breakfast cereals that are common in the U.S. are considerably higher in Freeport. (We paid $10 for a 12-ounce box of Rice Krispies.)

Also, the restaurant serves a good breakfast and dinner, but check the hours — it closes for a chunk of the day.

Room Tip: Buildings I, J, and K are across the street from the rest of the complex. A friend was assigned a ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Island Seas mid May - GREAT weather! We prefer condo resorts, such as this property is - units are condominium apartments, rather than a normal hotel.

We stayed on the marina, just a cross the main driveway from the beach area. The beach is beautiful, and the tiki bar and pool are nice. The onsite restaurant is OK, and there are two beach kiosk restaurants near the property on the beach. Th staff is nice (but they move at Island time except for one lady nicknamed Speedy!); the staff set up island tours and a car rental for us.

The unit was not luxurious, but rather a nice, well equipped apartment. We cooked breakfast each day, did the fish fry one evening, cooked on the resort grills one night (the fish that we caught that day!), and had dinner at Port Lucaya twice.

We had a great time, and we would recommend Island Seas and Grand Bahama. But - A condo resort isn't for everyone - if you want room service, then you need to stay at a full service resort. If you like a great value, large, comfortable, family oriented accommodations, then a condo resort like Island Seas is for you.

If you travel with kids, take some dvds (players in units). There is satellite cable tv also. There is WIFI at the pool bar - a great place to have a beer and cactch up on email. We are readers - take a book or two, relax and read on your balcony.

Room Tip: Make sure that you go to the grocery store at Port Lucaya to stock up. Take some basics with you - c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Island Seas Resort? Share your experiences!