“It was ok” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   123 Silver Point Dr, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Freeport
“It was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed with my wife and children for a week. Room and resort were ok. The fact that it was steps from the ocean was the biggest bonus.

Pool was nice and bar/ restaurant at pool was a nice touch ... although overall service is slow and unnatentive ... but that is the theme of the island

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Willis, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been to the Island seas a number of time's, I love it, The people could not be nicer, anytime I have asked the maid to come in and do something, they're there. I went by my self, and felt very safe anytime I walked the property or the beach. I ate at both place's, there on the property, and down on the beach at Bernie's, he even fixed me beans and rice. I love going there, and will continue. Oh I did rent a car, and drove anywhere I wanted, just have to be careful of which side of the road. Staff have alway's tried to be helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Undecided
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just returned from a weeks stay at the Island seas resort in Freeport. Overall it was a great experience. Our room had just been refurbished with granite counter tops & brand new appliances, which was nice but i would have rather had a new mattress than a new dishwasher.

All of the staff was extremely friendly and the beach was awesome and very well kept. Be careful however once you leave the property as there is broken glass all over the place.

The Restaurant was ok but the best place to eat was a little trailer just off the property to the right (west). Michelle's Jerk Out had the best food on the island. Lobster for $15 & jerk pork/chicken for $12. There is another guy selling his version to the left (east) but wasn't nearly as good.

Ther is differing opinions as to whether one should bring food with or not. The convenience store is pretty well stocked for the basics, but doesnt have the meat/produce that a grocery store would. Food is VERY expensive and I am glad we brought some with us. While I expected to pay more, I did not expect it to be as expensive as it was. $5 for 16oz Peanutbutter, $6 box of ceral and $8 for a pack of hotdogs. The real kicker was the price of alcohol. The guy ahead of me bought a case of Bud Light and it cost him $55!! I thought I'd go local and maybe save some $$ so I got a 12 pack of the local beer and it was $27!!! local Rum however is pretty cheap.

The free shuttle is great put there is only so much you can do in Port Lucaya

Room Tip: While the rooms are fairly quite, I would ask for a 3rd floor so no one is above you. If you tell th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We cruised over to Freeport and stayed a couple nights and a few days at Island Seas. Our first day we arrived so early the first thing we did was have breakfast. The onsite restaurant is beyond great! The food was very fresh, cooked well, and tasted the best I have had from most onsite restaurants on a resort. There are a lot of amenities. No need to rent a car at the free shuttle to Port Lucaya everyday was great. We also used the spa for a massage service and it was definitely one of the better massages I have personally ever had. Due to the weather not being warm enough, we did not do too many activities on the beach, but the fact the beach is right on the property is a great plus. One thing of the experience that I was not too happy about was the fact our room was not ready even when there was a 4pm check in. There are a few upgrades that need to happen on the property and seems as if upgrades are happening throughout the property slowly, but surely. I know we will return soon and I know each time will only get better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at Island Seas again this year and it seems like they are really trying to upgrade this property. It was cleaner then in previous years and now had all flat-screened televisions. They ware painting the bar and you can tell the staff was working hard to keep this property up. Our unit was much cleaner this year (Grouper Bldg). The beach still can't be beat! We ate at a little stand down the beach (right on the beach) and it was very reasonable. I still don't know if it would be cheaper to rent a car (as taxis can be expensive and if you get one in Lucaya they seem to charge different prices depending on how they feel). But all in all, things are looking up for island seas and hopefully they continue on this path.

Room Tip: I love the grouper bldg as it is right in the middle of everything and the parking lot and main buil...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Island Seas for 7 days/6 nights. It was a great place to stay! It has everything you need all at the hotel. There really isn't any need to leave for anything!
We rented a car from a car rental right at the rear of the hotel.
Free shuttle offered to Port Lacaya.
They have a convenient store with a wide variety of items from toiletries to food to Souvenirs .
There are two lean to's that sell various souvenirs as well right on the location. They both offer hair braiding as well. (they're always willing to haggle on prices). They sold almost everything you would see at port Lacaya. It is just a smaller selection.
The pool was very nice. It was big and is great for kids and adults. The juccuzi was super hot!
There is a poolside restaurant/bar. We didn't try the food there but the pina colada's were great.
There is another restaurant on location that had a more formal dining experience. It was pretty good. Probably a 6/10.
They have a ping pong table, 2 volleyball courts, and a shuffle board game.
You really never need to leave the hotel because all of these amenities. The property is beach front and they provide beachside messages and lounge chairs on a first come first serve basis. Though there always seemed to be plenty.
The rooms were decent. Then place was built in 1987 I think so they're a tad dated but they've done well to keep to it up to date. The rooms have tiled floors with 2 air conditioners. They also have a full kitchenette with a four place dining utensils available. There is some cookware also. There is a small dinning table too. The beds we ok. I slept very well really but they weren't the nicest I've been in. The TV's seemed to be great with a good selection of channels. They have fold out beds from the couch and they were what you would expect from a fold out bed.
Overall the convenience is what we loved. We had a large group and rented 2 rooms. They had great views and were comfortable for us. Spend most of your time outside and just sleep in the room and you'll really enjoy this place!

Room Tip: Ask to have an ocean view rather than canal. Higher rooms offer a better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
smithtown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We choose Island Seas Resort thru one of our getaway weeks thru Interval International. We own in Royal Sands in Cancun and have done many exchanges/getaway weeks in the 10 years we have been members. The resort is what you pay for - average. This was our spring break with our boys who are 15 and 11 - for them there wasn't enough to keep them busy at the resort. The weather was beautiful despite a cold front that pushed into the area the week we were there, unfortunately the pool was very cold (they don't heat the pool) and the ocean water was chilly too so this limited the amount of swimming we could do. We did go snorkeling with the tour at the resort and that was wonderful - great location right near the resort - highly recommend that. We rented a jeep one day and toured the island and had a great time. We also did the bon fire with all you and eat ribs/chicken at Taino Beach - another great experience. We only ate at the restaurant the first night and the food was good, nothing special but good. Then we found Bernie's Grill on the beach - loved Antoine and Bernie food was wonderful..he grills fresh lobster, snapper and grouper, conch and chicken and ribs right on the beach. You can have beer, soda, water, bahama mammas and great conversation with great local people and other vacationers. The rooms were spacious but outdated and the beds were very uncomfortable..housekeeping is spotty at best..they bring towels everyday but don't clean and don't make beds - they only made our bed twice during our week stay. We were on the marina side - we wanted the resort side and when my husband asked if we could be moved they said No that is for our owners only - they wouldn't even try to switch us and there were open villas available..oh well no big deal the walk is seconds away. It was nice to have the free shuttle to Port Luycaya. We wanted to parasail but their boat was broken so that didn't happen. Jet skiis were available and the staff is very nice and friendly. WiFi is best under the bar area. We enjoyed our family time and that is what vacation is really all about for us - you really make your own fun anyways when you go away. We met great people at the resort both vacationers and locals. The locals are so nice!! If you get a chance go to Pier/East Restaurant - great food on the ocean and they feed the live sharks- we saw about 6 lemon sharks the night we went - very cool experience!!! Next year we will either return to our home resort or try another one..we may come back but I don't believe we would stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: If you can request resort/ocean side - check in is 4pm they don't make exceptions so plan your f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
#2 of 16 in Freeport
4.0 of 5 stars 747 reviews

Been to Island Seas Resort? Share your experiences!