“a bit too remote for us” 3 of 5 stars

Island Seas Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   123 Silver Point Dr, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Plymouth
“a bit too remote for us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I were the guests of a friend in her time share the second week in October, 2012. We appreciated that we were non-paying guests. If we would have had to pay for our stay, we would have been less happy. The resort is far from town, where any acceptable restaurants are located. It also suffers from lacadaisical upkeep and cleaning. I had to avoid a broom and dustpan lying on the walkway for most of a day. The walkways were seldom swept, Corners and under the furniture areas don't get much attention. Beach toys and trash from previous tenants stayed under the stairwell the entire week we were there. The only restaurant at the resort offered below average food at far above average prices. The best deal was the happy hour drink specials, which were watered down, but priced accordingy. The resort offers a free shuttle service to Lucaya, but offers only four trips each way every day, and none back to the resort in the evening. If you want to eat in town you have to pay about $25 for a cab ride back. The beach in front of the resort is acceptable, but just beside it in each direction it is dirty, trashy. Watch out for broken glass, which makes it unpleasant for strolling, let alone running, on the beach. The two bedroom unit had comfortable beds, but thin pillows and low quality linens. Housekeeping service was sporadic, infrequent, and minimal. As a result, I did to feel the need to tip as generously as I usually do. The kitchen did not have the full count of dishes and table service. Most similar resorts where we have stayed included at least salt and pepper and a roll of paper towels. Not here. Beware of the on site grocery/market. The prices are not marked on any items and when you check out you will defintely be fleeced: almost $10 for a mini cardboard set of salt and pepper and the smallest carton of coffee creamer. The supermarket to which the resort provided a single free shuttle ride at the begining of the week is also very expensive with a limited selection, compared to most US super markets. I suspect there may be cheaper places on the island. Then again, it may be that everything is expensive because everything has to be imported and transported from across the ocean. It appears that the downtown area of Freeport and Lucaya is in a commercial slump. More than half the stores at the International Marketplace are gone. In Lucaya we were sad and disappointed to find some of the better restaurants were closed. Prices were the same as in the US, but the choices and quality were not as good. Of course, since it was off-season; that may contributed to the lagging businesses. Our trip to Freeport proved to be more relaxing than we we wanted. We were looking for more entertainment. We may return, but will have to adjust our expectations.

Room Tip: Beware of the on site time share sales people.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The resort staff were very friendly and for the most part, I felt very well taken care of. There were quite a few utensils and dishes missing but when I called, they fixed things up nicely. The only thing that wasn't done was the replacing of the broken tv remote and it just never materialized so I had to leave the tv on all the time and had a really hard time changing the channel.
The unit was roomy but quite dated although I was expecting that after reading reviews. The food was so-so and I ventured down the beach to the right about two minutes and found the fantastic Michele's Kitchen on the Beach. John and Michele cook fresh lobster tail, yummy snapper, conch, jerk pork and jerk chicken along with rice and peas, lovely cooked greens and delicious plantains - all at VERY reasonable prices. It was my favourite place to eat hands down.
My overall experience of this part of Grand Bahamas Island was terrific. I had a great time dancing at Kirk's Bar down the road, went to the Wednesday night fish fry, and enjoyed the Saturday night music in Count Basie Square. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: I chose a suite away from the ocean with the balcony facing a lovely marina on a canal. Perfect for...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Island Seas Resort has a great location if you want some peace and quiet. Clean beach, white sand and clear water. They only provided a service for 2 for plates and etc. overall, the room is clean but by the end of the week, there were ants on the sliding door to the balcony. Great view from the ocean front room. Great sound from the waves. Timmy at the front desk made checking it real fast and easy. Thanks, T. They updated the bedding, stove is smooth top and the rest of the appliances are working.

• Stayed October 2012
Lincoln, Nbraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

After reading all the reviews about the resort, I decided to add on a few lines. My wife and I have been enjoying the friendly atmosphere at the Island Seas for the past twelve years. The accomodations may not be the best; although, the condos are large and ours has a beautiful view of the ocean. We simply love the people, as they are some of the friendliest, welcoming people that we have ever met. It is the beach and the people that keep on bringing us back. Freeport is not the place that I would travel for night life or cultural attractions, as it really doesn't have much to offer. Freeport, Grand Bahama is the ideal place for relaxation on the beach during the day hours and peaceful rest in the evenings. As far as safety, we find it to be one of the safest places in the world, or at least, the ten countries that I have visited.

In order to enjoy the Bahamas one has to travel with an open mind and realize that one is not in the United Satates. There are certain courtesy rules that one must follow, such as; always greet someone with a smile and a good morning or afternoon before engaging in conversation or asking for directions. That is no different than traveling in Europe or Latin America. Unfortunately, in the United States we have forgotten the art of being courteous and treat others with respect. People will treat you the way you treat them, that has been my experience. I guess that I like to think myself of a traveler rather than a tourist, as I like to get to know the people and their own cultures that sets them apart from the rest of the world.

Room Tip: Beach front is the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Decatur, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My girlfriend purchased a Groupon deal and received this resort as part of Celebration Bahamas cruise line "cruise and stay package". We were at Island Seas for 2 days. We purchased a round trip ticket for $17 on our cruise ship for transportation to and from the resort. Our check in process was hectic. Many people came from the cruise ship to this resort. A desk clerk tried to push a time share/free breakfast combination on use right away. The cruise staff had let everyone know that the rooms would not be ready for several hours. So, my friend and I took our our swimsuits and significant belongings and went hung out at the beach (until the room was ready). They had a place to store luggage (so we didn't have to carry it around). They also had a "hospitality room" --- several TVs, 2 bathrooms, showers, water, coffee. You can go there if your room isn't ready or if you've checked out (but transportation hasn't arrived).

The sofa and chair was old. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable. I slept on it one night (and then traded with my friend for the double bed). The double bed was not very comfortable either (but was better than the sofa bed). There were plenty of clean towels. The kitchen, bathroom, floors, ect were clean. There was a VERY STRONG odor of ammonia in our room. We had to open the front and back sliding glass doors to let the room air out!! There were plastic chairs on front and back patios. There was adequate silverware and dishes in he kitchen. Refrigerator and stove were modern.

The main restaurant was closed. All meals were served at "Coconuts" the outdoor bar/restaurant. The serve was very underwhelming. One morning, I skipped lunch after waiting over 20 minutes for anyone to acknowledge my presence (it wasn't very busy either). The food is just average. There is a beach side restaurant (under a blue tent, small sign that says Michelle's Kitchen on the street). It is a short walk on the right from the resort. For $15, you get decent portion of fish, chicken, conch or lobster tail, bahamian rice/peas, few fried plantains and some steamed vegetables. I was wary, but decided it would be worth a try (due to slow service at resort). I had the jerk chicken (very good) and my friend had fried fish (she said it was very fresh).

They have beach chairs and towels. The pool and jacuzzi are really nice. Very little hassling from locals. Quiet beach, beautiful view, very relaxing.

I would visit Freeport again, but would look for a place with more comfortable bed and better restaurants service. Typically, I would not include information from third part, but I think this information might be helpful. There was a couple with a young son (who came to resort from cruise, too). The cruise really pushed shore excursions (the resort moderately so). There is an advertised bon fire (about 20 minutes from the resort). It was called a luau. It was $55 for adults and $30 for children. The couple was SO disappointed when they returned. They said the bonfire was on the beach --- away from the restaurant where the event was held. They advertised a "fire dancers". It turned out to be a single woman dancing around restaurant with a lighted plate. They also said the food and VERY underwhelming. So, you may want to watch out if this event is pushed heavily during your resort stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the same side as the beach. Clarify how many beds will be in your room. The web...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

What is good about this resort - one of the most lovely beaches. Nice spacious rooms.
What is bad about this resort - the beds are full size and the mattresses feel like they are a decade old and general condition of the rooms need renovating. They just need a little bit of upgrading and it would make such a difference. Been here twice and they conditions get worse. Last time I was there the bar has computerized servings of bottom shelf liquor. The restaurant food offerings are very limited and the staff is lack luster.
But the beach really is lovely just hope they take better care of what surrounds the beach!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the beach. If they renovate and get new beds...this place would be grea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I liked Island Seas. The rooms were spacious and clean. The menu for food was a little limited and since it was the slow season, the shuttle to the port was limited.

The snorkeling there is great. If you swim out about 50 ft and head to the right you'll come across squid, rays, and a large variety of fish. I was very surprised and spent hours a day swimming and just looking around underwater.

If you want a place to get away & just clear your head without a lot of fuss, Island Seas will work.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Island Seas Resort? Share your experiences!