“Amazing, too short, stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jolly Rodger Drive, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Hollywood, Florida
“Amazing, too short, stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Just got back from an amazing weekend with two friends on the Grand Bahama island. We took the Balearia Express Ferry and from the harbour the hotel was 15 minutes away. The hotel was small and on the outside nothing special, but the views from the back rooms, overseeing the harbour, and the surrounding area is really nice. You can use the facilities of the Taino Beach Resort on the other side of the street: restaurant, amazing, big pool and beach access with chairs, tables and umbrellas. Service was amazing, people are very friendly and the rooms were good. Definitely worth the money!
Water taxi takes you to Port Lucaya in 5 min. for $6 round trip.The island on its own is not very interesing/pretty quiet. The Port Lucaya market place has shops, but both times we went there it was all closed (saturday evening and sunday afternoon). Area is nice though and lots of different restaurants to choose from. A nice place for a long weekend to just chill or participate in some watersport activities.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Hotel was okay. They did not find our reservation when we checked in even though i had my confirmation and they were slow, almost lazy, about getting it fixed. But we came back at 4pm and they had a room for us. it had a small kitchenette, nice bathroom with warm water but the water did not drain well. The phone did not work too. The beds were small but good, it was pretty clean. The pool was great, the slide is awesome!! The beach is peaceful and nice as long as it has not been raining there will be no seaweed. The food at the restaurant is expensive and not great and again service is not all that great but i think that is the laid back Bahamas way. The boat ride over to the Marketplace was good but note that it only leaves once an hour on the hour. We did not know that when the lady sold us the ticket so we had to wait 40 min. I would recommend it for anyone that is budget conscious and not looking for a 5 star.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We did not have a great experience at this hotel. The staff were very friendly, however, it was a marginal hotel. The rooms are dirty; we did not receive room service on one of the days and the housekeeping staff do not have brooms or mops on their carts - the floors were never cleaned throughout the 4 days we were there. There was 1 out of 3 ice machines working and it was leaking on the stone corridor leading to the stairs which was dangerous; I actually saw a man slip down the stone stairs. There was a small kitchen, however, they only had decaf coffee and we had to ask for creamer and sugar rather than it being left on a daily basis. The website advertises "free internet", however, that is only in the lobby. They turned off the water for several hours on one of the days, which they knew they were going to do, but did not inform the guests so we could plan accordingly.

Overall, although they claim tourism is their major industry, we did not find the service at the same level as we have on other Caribbean islands. We experienced much "broken" or "not working". The island is beautiful and the people are very friendly but, unfortunately, we would not return to this island.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Upon reading reviews the whole ride to Rivera beach fl..me and my fiance were kinda skeptical about staying here..but we won the cruise and it was all paid for so we said what the heck!!..gave it a shot!!..and boy were we surprised..The front desk clerk was AWESOME!!!..her name was Amanda she was a lot of help..The room was spotless!!!!..The kitchenette came in handy BIG time!!!!..The bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable!!!..I mean it's not a 5 star hotel but it's younique in its own way..The pool was so COOL!!!..that's where me and fiance spent most of our time..lol..The Taino beach was AWESOME!!!!!..If you do decide to stay here make sure you go to the beach and pool the slide is AWESOME!!!!!..Taino beach has all kinds of cool water activities to do..like banana boat, glass bottom boat tours, and jet ski rentals..kinda pricey but well worth it..There is a ferry available to take you to and from the hotel to lucyan for $6 round trip..that's where all the shops and majority of the restaurants are..Overall I was VERY pleased with my experience!!!..definitely will be back!!!!..they do not have a elevator so you have to carry your luggage but ain't nothing wrong with a little exercise in ya life!!!!..lol..I had a BLAST!!!..plus it wasn't like me and my fiance were BALLING out of control!!!..reasonable prices for great service..CHECK THEM OUT!!!!..NEVER MIND all the fuss with these review experience yourself..then you be the judge!!!!!..

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Am I the only one that doesn't go on vacation and stay in my hotel? My family and I went last June, and are going back in a week. The staff was friendly, answered any questions and were willing to help. My room was more than clean, was immaculate! As long as my bed sheets are clean, and the room is clean I am fine. All I plan on doing is showering and sleeping in my room. The rest of the time I want to be out and about. Pool was awesome, and everything I would like for a vacation. When needing a taxi driver I HIGHLY recommend Limpy. I would never ask anyone else, my family and I have already contacted him to pick us up from the ship and take us everywhere we need to go before arriving at the hotel. In other words people, don't go on vacation and worry about being in your room! But enjoy, you're in the Bahamas!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jamestown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very Nice Getaway ! We take the Discovery Cruise one way from Port everglades for $79 each and Stay 4 nights all inclusive for $199 with no need for a car or extra expenses ! Nice snorkeling ! Great shopping and attractions near by =)

Room Tip: we spent less than $500 total and had an amazing getaway from Florida =)