“3RD STAY AT THIS RESORT” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Save Saved
You added Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Doubloon Rd. & Churchill Dr., Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 18 hotels in Freeport
california
“3RD STAY AT THIS RESORT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I are former residents of GBI and have made numerous trips back, the past three staying at the Viva Fortuna. Our past visit was September 24th through October 2nd, celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary.

Would like to begin by expressing how courteous and helpful Alexander Welch was during our booking process. We had numerous contacts via e-mail prior to our arrival and everything we requested from Mr. Welch was provided plus more. Thank You.

Here are our comments:

(1) My husband is a diver and was very impressed by the dive shop facilities, the staff and the dive locations. Particularly want to mention the great service from the staff in the dive shop.

(2) We had a beautiful oceanview room, (as confirmed by Mr. Welch prior to our arrival) and were provided with a platter of cheese, crackers and fresh fruit along with a complimentary bottle of champagne. Again, thank you.

(3) Unfortunately, for most of the time we were at Viva Fortuna the speciality restaurants were closed. Bamboo restaurant did not open and Viva restaurant was open for three nights during our stay. Food in Viva was good and service excellent. Junkanoo restaurant is a case of "hit and miss". One evening, when a chef was actually slicing and serving ribs was wonderful. So nice to have the personal touch. However, on another evening the food was so bad it was almost inedible.

(4) Beach location is beautiful and we were very impressed with the racking of the beach every day.

(5) In general the evening shows presented by the staff are good. However, we feel that the Latin show was out of place. Why not have a Bahamian theme evening show. After all, this is Bahamas not Mexico!!

(5) We had previously written a review after our past visit during the New Year 2009 and stated that we thought the resort lacked the Bahamian feeling, i.e., Bahamian culture is not evident and there is a lack of Bahamian music. The manager at that time, Roberto, said they were working on these issues. However, this is still our feeling after this visit.
Remember this is the Bahamas!

In general, another wonderful stay. We have heard that Sunland Lutheran School is planning a reunion for classes of 60's, 70's and 80's and inasmuch as our three boys attended Sunland during the 70's we are working of them returning to Freeport at that time with their families. Of course, grandparents will have to accompany them!!!
If this trip does occur, we all plan on staying at Viva Fortuna.

Again, thank you Alexander for your courteous service.

Denise and Ray Smith.

2,826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed from September 12-19, We read all the reviews prior to booking a week at this hotel. Majority have rated it a "3'" and I would agree. My husband and I were just looking for a place to relax that had a beach we could enjoy. We loved walking the beach every morning for an hour. We took the suggestion of booking an ocean view. It was worth the extra $$.

We ate at the Italian Restaurant four times and the main buffet three times. We could always find something to eat. Remember to book the a la carte restaurants at guest relations. The biggest positives for us were the staff and the beach. We weren't expecting that someone would seat you in the Junkaroo or to get you coffee. We were expecting friendly staff. If you introduce yourself to staff, they are very engaging. Leon in the main buffet was always willing to chat. The staff at the omelet station always had a smile. I especially enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean show. We had a good time.

We don't sweat the small stuff. When we found that there wasn't a frozen drink machine at the beach bar, I brought the tray from my room to make it easier to "transport" from the main bar to our beach chairs. Yes, the cups are small, but no one is limiting how many you order. We were told that the minibar in your room is only filled if you are a Wyndham by Request Member. We avoided the "vacation sales people". We enjoyed the beach, feeding bread to the fish, and relaxing in the sun. It was our first trip to the Bahamas. When we were leaving, it was nice to go through US customs prior to the departure gate in the Bahamas. The customs agent specifically asked if we had any shells or sand. I kept thinking of all the people who had purchased shells from the "beach sales people". I would not have known that you are not allowed to bring back shells.

This resort was definitely not like the 4 or 5 star resorts we have stayed at, but considering the price, it was a bargain.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamFortuna, General Director at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, October 15, 2009
Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as a destination for your vacation, our mission is to satisfy our guests and offer them unforgettable holiday.

It is rewarding to receive such a wonderful review as a Manager of the staff and beach your feedback will definitely help viewers to choose our resort.

We would like to welcome you back on your next vacation to our resort and once again we say thank you for your review of our resort.

Best regards

Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Seems like a typical resort for the Bahamas. Staff friendly, room okay, nothing fancy. Not a 5 star hotel. Towels in room are thin and have to ask for more. The beach is nice but there is nothing around this resort. You have to take a taxi ride to get anywhere and they aren't cheep. We paid about $12 each way to go anywhere which is the usual charge, aprox $6 per person one way. The food was pretty good. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in their main diningroom and snacks at the bars on the beach in between. You are never in want for food. Drinks are pretty good but they are served in 5-7 oz plastic cups. It's all inclusive so you just walk up to any bar and tell them what you want. Coffee isn't much to talk about but it's available. We booked a glass bottom boat ride on the Discovery boat on the way over and the company doing the glass bottom boat ride wouldn't come and pick us up because we were too far away. We would have had to pay $12 each way to get to and from the company that did the tour. Not too happy about that so we cancelled our tour and got our money back on the Discovery boat on the way back to Ft. Lauderdale. We did take advantage of the free bicycle rental and road down to this really cool old entrance to the marina that got almost destroyed by the 2004 hurricanes. We walked down to the end and found a conch shell burried under a rock as a souvenier. My husband dug it up and rinsed it out. That was cool. They do have shows every night that we took advantage of. We paid for a taxi ride once to the Port Lucaya Marketplace to do some shopping. I didn't want to pay that price again to do shopping. We made a mental note that next time we would stay at a place that was closer to the Port Lucaya Marketplace even if it wasn't right on the beach. We went back in May 2009 and stayed at the Redwood Inn. That is right next to the Marketplace and you have access to the Sheraton's beach and pool, it's about a 5 minute walk. The restaurants at Viva Fortuna were okay but nothing to rave about. The reservations are a joke. Both places were supposedly booked solid but when we got there at our reserved time the place was only about 1/4 full. They do try to have you take a Timeshare tour but you get that EVERYWHERE on the island. It's not just at this resort. You just have to be firm in telling them "I'm all set, thanks" and walk away. Same thing with the people wanting to sell you hair braiding or t-shirts on the beach. Get used to saying "no thanks" to people wanting to sell you things. It's part of the island. That's what the locals do for work, they are just trying to make money to live. I would only recommend this place if you understand that you are not near anything except for their beach. If you want to be close to shopping and the marketplace, don't stay here. Looking for a romantic getaway that you are planning on only staying on the resort property that this is your place to go.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamFortuna, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, October 15, 2009

It is rewarding to receive such a wonderful review, as a Manager on the staff your feedback on the beach and food.

We have since brought your communication to the attention of all departments concern as it reflects on our operation and we will change to better served our guest.

We will like to welcome you back on your next vacation to our resort and once again we say thank you for your review of our resort.

Best regards

Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I just finished a week at this hotel and am sad to say it was aweful. For starters, the first room we were assigned had horrible air conditioning. It ran all night and could never get the temperature below 78 degrees. When we were moved, I had to move all of my luggage myself (which was a pain given I had Scuba gear). The second room had air conditioning but the lock was malfunctioning and had to be completely replaced. We also had a leak in the bathroom and when it rained water leaked directly over the toilet and soaked the floor. The staffs ingenious solution was to give us a few extra towels to soak up the mess.

The beach (which is frequented by Europeans) was beautiful except that no one ever cleans it up. By that I mean there is garbage (and my favorite) cigarette butts all over the sand. It was NASTY.

The food was the worst I ever had...similar to very low end catered meals. The Jukanoo (which would more aptly be named the Dumpanoo) was aweful too. I couldn't stomach the food after the first night. And if you want to take advantage of the all inclusive plan, be prepared for all of your drinks in dixie cups. And don't expect an ice machine anywhere except the bar. (You have to walk a good distance to get some.) All of the alcohol is low end well drinks. -- Don't expect anyone to serve you on the beach either. Security at the hotel completly overlooks the locals who attempt to sell you everything from Conch shells to hair braids to t-shirts and pot. -- This all compounded to make my stay horrific.

Keep in mind if you want to go into Port Lucaya (Which is really clean and a great location), it will run you 30 dollars per round trip.) We spent 230.00 on taxi cabs because it was still cheaper than renting a car. - You are not in walking distance to anything on this resort. --

Stay at Pelican Bay or the Radisson! We loved the island and the diving was world class, but this resort is the worst I've ever stayed at!!!

Some other guests we shared our mutual issues with (to say nothing of all the standing water after it rains) commented --"We'd trade you your leaky bathroom for one with hot water."

Now the last and most irritating thing I will mention is the Viva vactionsales people (who are paid on commission) harassed me constantly to sit through there presentation for a couple of shirts. They went so far as to call me at 7:00 am to pester me about going. I was so aggravated I can't even tell you.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review regarding your visit at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

We have read your correspondence and wish to address a few points raised.

We sincerely regret the series of encounters and delays experienced from the onset of your visit for your family vacation get a-way. We are quite taken back with the countless problems and have since brought your communication to the attention of all departments concern as it reflects on our operation.

Customarily when clients have concerns from big or small, and if our frontline representatives are unable to meet the guest needs satisfactorily, a duty manager is called upon to address your concerns immediately. More importantly, it provides us an opportunity to restore your confidence in our product and services.

Please be assured that there are systems in place to address each and ever concern as they may arise. The feedback from our guest is a major concern whic is why our existing tour operators conduct periodic surveys and we to carry out our very own weekly internal guest comment survey.

Our aim is naturally to please everyone; however, each guest is unique and has different expectations, not to mention experiences.

In the meantime we wish to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or discomforts experienced and wish we could have restore your confidence in our resort

Best regards,

West Palm Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Once again, it all depends upon what one is searching for. My girlfriend and I live in Florida, and thus we were simply looking for a nice week away from it all. We are very easy going and, having read the reviews, walked away from Fortuna feeling as though our experience was pretty what we expected. Below are some ups and downs:

Trip from the airport was simple and easy with the taxi costing $25.00. Jumping through the airport hoops was also very quick and easy. Since we arrived after 3:00 PM we had no problems at all checking in...very swift.

The room was, well, a room. Nothing great and nothing miserable. Our fridge was stocked and the room was cool and clean. Having a coffee machine made my girlfriend very happy. Having two beers in the fridge made me happy. The view of the beach was slightly obstructed, but we were more than content.

It was a very quiet time of the year, so the pool was not crowded. It is open from 8:00 to 8:00. The pool itself is somewhat boring, but the water is warm...nice for a morning or evening swim, though we never spent time there during the day.

The beach is very nice. They 'mow' the portion near the water almost every morning and the sand is soft and welcoming. While they do not clean up as well as they could, we found it well within specs.

Once in the ocean, the bottom is a bit rocky. Don't plan on body-surfing, not that there are any serious waves anyway. The water, though, was very refreshing and the snorkling was fantastic! Grab some gear and a couple beautiful reefs are right there for your pleasure. I can't remember spending more time snorkling on a trip ever! They will ask you to return gear in an hour, but they really don't care. We kept it all day without complaints. Hint: while it may look like a good idea, don't bring bread for the fish...you will be overwhelmed!

Sailboats, kyakes (sp?) and the like were always available without question. There are a few venders on the beach, but they are not intrusive...a simple 'no thanks' will do. They sell T-shirts, beads and shells, some of which are a good buy. I actually found three conch shells myself while snorkling and have them on display now. (Get one of the venders to clean out the conch for a buck or two!) I also noticed many starfish and a huge sting-ray...left them there.

My favorite beach times were sunrise and sunset...good shell hunting. During the day there are a couple great places to grab a bite or a drink and get some local color: about a half-mile to the right there is a nice place called Margaritta Beach Bar (or something like that) . Bring a couple bucks and grab a beer at this neat little place, with sand on the inside floor and all. There is another place next to it but we did not go there. We actually took a kyake (sp? again) to get there. Also, about 3/4 of a mile to the left, you will find another establishment which offers food and drink...nice swiming there too.

Back at home...one of the two specialty resaurants was closed, but we found the food at the Italian Restaurant to be wonderful! (Try the lasagna.) You can also book days in advance if you are there for an extended stay. The Junkaroo, the main dining hall, was fine. Yes, there were some birds flying around (not a surprise to me) and it was on the warm side, but the food was fine. It was all pretty standard stuff, sometime wonderful and sometimes bland, but there was usually something there for everyone. The hours of operation were generous also. If the heat does get to you, you can always bring a plate back to your room.

During the day you can get hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, fries etc. at the beach hut. Food is fine there for beach food and the staff was very friendly. One of the two bars was there but they do not have frozen drinks. (Yes, that's silly.) Of course, you are only a one minute walk from the main bar.

The recreation Center, where the main bar is, has ping-pong, a life-sized chess set and pool tables. Nothing special here. It is right by the pool and by the trapeze set-up. The trapeze is fun to watch and offers lessons to everyone every evening (children in the morning)...we wanted to give it a try but never got around to it.

We looked into the disco but, as said here earlier, it looked like a small box. It is attached to the Italian Restaurant, so all of the remarks about how good the pizza was there...I have no doubt that this is true. The gym is also small and was hot when we wandered through. I guess 'no pain-no gain' applies...if you want to work out go right ahead...we got our workout snorkling. The nightly shows that I saw were great fun! No, it is not Broadway, but they are comfortable and entertaining...very social. (There are two stores on property to get any essentials you might need.)

Bikes, mopeds and rental cars are also available. While we did not use any, it might have been fun just to take a bike and roam around the neighborhood, not that there is much there. We thought of getting a moped but, given the festive nature of the week, decided that that might end in disaster.

We went to the Port Lucaya Marketplace (via taxi $15) one day and that was good fun. As I said, it was the quiet time of the year so things were very mellow. The shops are well presented and you really feel no pressure to buy anything. Some great restaurants also if you want to wander away from Fortuna. The only casino on the island is right there if you get into the mood to gamble...it is very nice but be aware that the tables then did not open until 6:00 PM. Taxis back are easy to find.

Overall, this is a very casual resort. Bahama-style. There are a slew of things that they could tidy up. And it would take so little. Yes, it took us two days to get a light-bulb, but that was no big deal. Yes, the paint could be a little brighter. But the attitude of the employees was really quite nice...things were a little slow but we always felt welcomed. We came here to relax and not to be entertained, and the setting and the staff lived up to that expectation. Yes, we could have played volleyball and darts and this and that, but a week with a beach was all we were looking for.

Suggestions and thoughts:

*Bring an underwater camera...really nice snorkling!
*Bring a cup (and thank you all who mentioned this on this site earlier). Drinks are small, but they will fill whatever you bring should you bring it.
*Bring a can-openner just so you can open the beer in your mini-bar.
*Bring cash! You cannot charge anything to your room (water activities etc.) and a few dollars bills here and there as tips will be rewarded. You will also need cash for taxis and the like.
*Bring lots of sunscreen! We live in Florida, but the sun while snorkling alone will give you an unexpected glow.
*Bring a lap-top! If you want to stay in touch with the real world, Fortuna has free wireless in the lobby and in the recreation area. You can buy Internet time in the lobby, but I found it really nice to log in for five minutes each day without stress.
*Wake up early...the sunrises there are wonderful!

We had a very nice time..but we were asking for very little. I gave this four-stars not because it is a four star resort, but because it lived up to what we were looking for. No, Fortuna does not come close to some of the resorts we have visited in the past. Not even close to close. But if you simply want to chill a little and get a good price, it's easy and fine. If you want the Ritz, you are really in the wrong location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamFortuna, Guest Service at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
Thank You for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach for your family vacation.
We do appreciate your sincere review.

Your comment help us and shows us that we are on the right way to success.
It is very Important to us, to receive reviews like yours, because it shows us where we have to improve.
We are continuesly training our staff to improve ourself and to make your vacation a unforgettable one.

Our goal is to exceed customer expectations.

Once again we say thank you very much for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back soon at our Resort.

Alexander Welch Guerra
Guest Service
extratowels987
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Booked a last minute trip via www.cheapcaribbean.com. Looked at many different resorts throughout the Caribbean and the Bahamas worked best for us with the dates we wanted to travel, flight schedules etc. We have previously always done all-inclusive resorts and have always been pleased.

We arrived at the resort on Friday September 4th at 12:30pm. Transportation from airport not bad. So far so good. At registration, we were told that we could not check in until 3pm....no exceptions...even though it was clear the hotel was way under capacity. They directed us to the main restaurant, Junkaroo (appropriately named) for lunch. Before heading there we decided to make reservations at the other 2 on-site restaurants. To our surprise, one of the two was shut down for "renovations" and the other one (Italian) was all booked up. Obviously this was a little irritating since we had just arrived. We were then suckered into scheduling a 90 minute Wyndham Vacation Club presentation with the promise of a free-scooter rental in return. We figured that we could sit through the presentation for a day of scooting around the island.

FOOD>>>
So off to lunch we went. The first thing you notice is how HOT the building is. It is not air conditioned and the ceiling fans are either not working or on low. The food is awful. I am not exaggerating in any way. The food selection for lunch every day is pretty much the same thing: dry pasta, carrots and broccoli soaked in water, salad bar (i.e. bowl of lettuce, bowl of tomatoes & dressing), mystery meat and veggie tray. At the very first meal I was thinking, how am I going to eat this for the next 4 days. Ended up eating dinner here the first night, which looked exactly the same as lunch. There are no servers whatsoever. Breakfast was a little better and the omelet station ensured freshly cooked food.

ROOMS>>>
The rooms are really bad and not very clean. The daily maid service consists of towel exchange. If you have more than 2 people in your room I would suggest bringing extra towels. The beds are very uncomfortable. Don't expect your fridge to be stocked with cold water or any other beverage.

PORT LUCAYA>>>
A $15 cab ride one-way...which sucks. But there is this GREAT restaurant down there called Agave. It is well worth the cab money! Service is great and the food is sooooo good. Yummy mojitios, too! The casino is fun and a nice change from the shows at the resort. The ATM is in the casino. While we were there the bank at Port Lucaya was under renovations too.

WHAT???>>>
Please bring cash with you!!! The convenience store will take a debit card if the purchase is over $20. The hotel has wireless internet, but using their computer will cost you $10 for 10 minutes. There is NO ATM on property....only in Port Lucaya (which I said takes $15 to get there). The vacation club presentation is a total racket. They get seriously pissed off if you don't buy in. And that scooter rental??? Turns out the scooter company canceled their contract with the hotel BEFORE WE EVEN ARRIVED!!! So we sat through that presentation for nothing. They claim that the resort is just starting renovations...but I question whether they always tell people this. Drinks at the bars are pretty good. The gym is not air conditioned either, which you can imagine is miserably hot....and it is. Decent selection of machines though...even though they are really old.

BEACH>>>
Is beautiful!! The really only redeeming quality of this resort. Lots of space, plenty of chairs and shade. Always could find a chair...which hasn't always been the case at other resorts. It is a little dirty....but I agree with another poster...this is the fault of the traveler. There are vendors that walk the beach all day, but seem to leave you alone with a couple "no thank-yous".

My husband and I try to make the best of any situation. We forced ourselves to eat breakfast and lunch on-site, but then treated ourselves to dinner at Agave every other night. (It is THAT good!!) The entertainment staff and bartenders are nice and helpful. Don't get suckered into that vacation club presentation!!! You truly get what you pay for, based on how cheap this get-away was.

MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Rooms are average and room service ok but ocean views are grand and activities abundant enough to keep active teens entertained. The trapeze and nightly shows were huge hits as were the daily beach sports and dance/aerobic instructions by the pool. The disco on premises was a tiny barn-like room with disco ball and dimmed lights so billing a bit misleading and disappointing. Still no reason to venture offsite during peak occupancy with so many new people to meet and socialize with-met people from all over the word. Staff selling vacation timeshares mildly annoying but friendly. All-inclusive food in sit-down restaurants by reservation only was preferable to buffet. Beachside snacks and late night pizza very good. Entertainment staff went out of the way to engage the guests and make every guest at any age feel welcome to participate.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!