“Great for the value. Would recommend.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Save Saved
You added Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Doubloon Rd. & Churchill Dr., Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Miami, Florida
“Great for the value. Would recommend.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I would like to start by saying "leave your attitudes at home"! This is not a 5 star hotel, if you are expecting that kind of service and surroundings then don't go. I was afraid to go after reading all the negative reviews but I said for what we have paid, I will make the best of it. We were surprised when we got there, mid July. The place was clean, the rooms and bathrooms were decent with partial ocean view, we got towels when we requested them. The food is your basic buffet (I rarely eat at buffets). The food was good, different themes every day, never got bored. My cafe latte in the morning was great (thanks Jarvey). There is a cafe by the beach with hamburgers & fries, plus the pizza cafe at 10:30pm was very good. The entertainment was good, not professionals actors but we did laugh a lot (thanks KJ, Kayla & Valentina to name a few). The drinks well, not your top shelf but good. My favorite by far was the Mango Punch (thanks Frank). One of the things I always splurge on while on vacation is a massage by the beach, if available. My massage on the beach was great! Overall I would recommend this to others and would go back as well. Remember you are there to get away and relax, not give attitude. You are in the Bahamas and they run at a different pace then in the U.S. ENJOY!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room in the Bimini building, its the most quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to start by thenking you for visitng Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach!

We are really happy to read your beautiful and positive review which is also very helpful for our upcoming guests.

We loved how you got to enjoy our facilities, the opportunity that we offered to have a massage on the beach, the food in our snak bar or inside the buffet restaurant, the drinks and the coffee at the bar and also that you had fun with our entertainment staff.

We are also happy that you metioned our different theme nights in the main restaurant so our guests have the chance to try different kind of meals like Mexican, Bahamian or Italian and never get bored of the same food.

On behalf of the staff and managment we would like to thank you once again for your honest and helpful review and remeber to feel free to contact us in case you want to come back, our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent 4 days 3 nights at Viva Wyndham Fortuna BEACH (group of sevsen adults). This hotel is not five star but service is great. The food at the buffet was different every day. All of us have towels delivery daily.The cappucino was great. We had a great time, we don't have anything bad to say about the hotel. If you want to go and have fun go to VIVA FORTUNA Beach. Also the staff was very nice and helpful. If you need a taxi you can call Chippie he is a very nice person. His cell number (242) 443-4425.Just tell him the Boss gave you his number.

Room Tip: We were in the Bimini rooms. the Balmaseda Family from New York and Miami Florida
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to starting by thanking you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination!
We are really happy to read how much you had fun here with us and all our staff.
We are pleased to see your beautiful review and we are glad you liked or variety in the main buffet, your room and also that all the staff was nice and helpful with you and your group.
On behalf of the staff and managment we would like to thank you again for your honest review and we also would like to let you know that it would be a pleasure to assist you whenever you want to come back and visit us again in Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach!

Kindest regards,

Leetonia, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was so scared by the negative reviews that I made sure we brought pop-tarts and snacks. To be honest, we didn't need them. Granted, the all-inclusive food wasn't terrific, but you won't starve. I am a picky eater but I was able to eat a decent amount of food (fruits, breads, "pizza," and veggies mostly) the whole time I was there. You just have to be smart about it and watch what you do (and what the flies do). It is a large gymnasium-type building and the flies and birds can get in. It is all buffet-style dining (except for the shack by the beach), so you really just have to be smart because nothing is really covered up. I ate rice, carrots, green beans, and potatoes for every lunch and dinner because I could get down to the food on the bottom of the serving tray. It still may not have been the freshest, but it felt like it was because nothing else had touched it. For breakfast, there is a woman making omelettes or eggs every morning and I thought it was worth the wait to have something fresh. So, food wise, it is manageable. The shack by the beach will cook burgers and fries at your request. The fries were pretty good, but I did not eat any meat while I was there. The pizza at the buffet and shack are really just bread with a little sauce and a little cheese. At night,the wood-fired pizza oven is pretty good. You cannot order a whole pie, but you can get as many slices as you want and it's more like a traditional NY-style pizza.

The beach was quite beautiful. It was cleaned every morning by a guy on a tractor. We had a beach front room in the Bimini building. Yes, it is old and it is a bit run-down, but to wake up every morning to that crystal blue water and white sand beach was what we really wanted. While we were there it rained more days than not, but we still had a great time. The free wifi is all over the place, so you could even take your iPad to the beach. While we were there it was not crowded, so you had your choice of covered or non-covered lounge chairs. The snorkeling from the beach was great! They have some cool little coral bunches that are a very easy swim. We saw parrot fish, Sargeant Majors, and even 2 lobsters. We rented kayaks a few times, but you only get them for 30 minutes and they tend to go quickly so you might have to wait for one. The dive shop also took my boyfriend on some great dives (when it wasn't storming). They have 2 boats - one that is more like a large rowboat and a much bigger one (8-10 people). He preferred the bigger boat as it was less choppy (especially with all the rain we had that week) but he still had some really good dives and got some great movies.

I actually feel like it would be a kid-friendly place and told my niece that if she ever wanted to go on vacation with her 3 kids that it wouldn't be that bad. If we ever wanted to go back to the Bahamas, we would vacation there again.

Cabs are EVERYWHERE! We felt like we wasted money buying the transportation from the airport. You may hear that it is $15 per person, even if there are only 2 of you, but that is not correct. It is more like $15 per family, so be careful...one guy got a $15 tip from me because someone told me it was $15 per person and when the cabbie told me it was $15, I blindly handed him $30. Oh well - pay it forward, right? Getting a cab to the market is as easy as walking out front of the complex. Whoever is standing there will get you one.

The keys are NOT handed out until after 3, so don't bother asking. We got there at 11:30 AM and had nothing to do until we got our key around 3:15 (I was second in the line once that clock hit 3). It is definitely annoying, but it is what it is, so we just dealt with it. They WILL give you your wrist band early, though, so definitely do that if you get there early. They will hold your bags in an air conditioned room that is locked. I would just advise that you slip into something comfortable and relax until 3. You can eat and drink whatever is available until your room is ready. They are in no hurry, so just relax.

To be honest, everyone was pleasant enough. You WILL be asked to hear their presentation for the vacation club. We politely declined, even though they offer you a free 4 day 3 night pass back. After we declined, no one asked again but they were all still pretty nice regardless. Again, we would go back to this location.

One thing that would have helped would be some kind of hooks in the bathroom to hang up diving suits, bathing suits, and towels. There is only 1 towel rack and it just isn't enough to hang things up to dry from one day to the next.

If you are considering it and want more detail, feel free to ask questions.
Kristina

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I would like to share with everyone what i think of this Place. the 1st time i went there was nov. 2009 with a friend of mine, we had been looking for a place that we(2 women) felt comfortable enough to make this our travel destination(every 2 yrs) it took us 2 days and we said "this is it" Our next trip was nov. 2012 another great trip. What more could you ask for nice weather, good food, fantastic shows/entertainment and GREAT people. I could not believe the welcome we got when we went back after 3 yrs. Then I went back in Jan. by myself and if this was not a great place to be i would not have been comfortable to go there alone. Again the treatment i got from everyone was fantastic. I went back in May for a young man's funeral and to me my visits keep getting better and better. I now have an extended "bahama family" on the resort and off the resort. So if you want a great vacation this is the place to go. I you are not happy with your visit then it is an issue with you and not the resort. Sp to sum it up. Very friendly people/employees, good food with a nice selection, the rooms are spacious and clean and the views are great. either a nice court yard or the ocean view. It is a short trip to attractions and taxi's are cheap. I do not have one bad word to say about this place.
jane

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guests

We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination and actually your second home.

We are really happy and satisfied to read your awesome review. We are glad you enjoyed our resort so much the first time you came and this feeling makes you come back other times.

We are happy about the opinion you have of our property in general and also to our staff members and the people here in the Bahamas.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you again for your honest review and we are going to wait here as always for your next visit here in Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

A bit of a different vacation I traveled here w/my mom for a relaxing and affordable 4-day 3 nights trip. found this for an excellent price through Cheap Caribbean.com. browsing through the myriad of negative reviews I prepared myself for the worst. What I ended up getting was FAR from it. I had a GREAT time using all their free snorkeling, sailing, tennis, kayakes, and archery gear. Enjoyed extremely helpful and professional tennis and sailing lessons and a number of other activities included in the all-inclusive price.

Our room was exquisite- Facebook friends posted that the pic of the view right outside out balcony looked like a standard screensaver/background image. You could jump right into the ocean from our balcony - that's how close our room was to the beautiful beach! Other room amenities weren't works-of-art but you can tell the staff tried to make everything appear clean & modern. Popcorn ceilings and some minor stains on the pillow covers. In-unit iPhone or iPod charger & speaker but not for the iPhone 5. Our AC worked well and only other issue was that there was no lock on our balcony door - this was fixed within 4 hrs of our initial request. Room B1115. Really go for ocean view (which btw was a pleasant FREE upgrade).

Honestly I thought the buffet was really good and I'm not a fast food/cheap-eats junkie. They have clean and fresh fruits & veggies at every meal. have white & red wine there too. Bar areas are good - lovely and delicious cappuccino & espresso machine. My mom REALLY wanted another bottle of water (they give u 1 1/2 liter bottle your first day) and everyone kept giving her unclear answers as to where to get one. She's an older woman, it would be nice if they could just give her another bottle of water!

Front desk was very knowledgable and accommodating. They give you perks but you have to ask first (like ocean view upgrade). Guest services could've been more creative w/the problem of never having any open-available reservations for the restaurants. Bamboo was OK - my mom was expecting plentiful sushi but they only had California rolls (which were good). My fried rice noodles dish was very plain and bland - I preferred the taste of the buffet foods!

Overall great staff- very friendly and open. Resort guests are mostly Europeans it seems and some Americans. Great value resort vacation and nothing beats the expansive and tranquil beach area. Would recommend this to anyone looking for great VALUE. Beware rainy months of June-November although prices are lower. Rain is on and off - you can still have a great time.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

First of all we would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach!
We are very pleased and happy after reading your review and discovering how much you enjoyed during your past stay; We also thank you for taking the time to post your honest and positive review and advises for all our upcoming guests to read; it is always a pleasure to received our guest appreciation of our services and facilities.
We are thrilled as well to read how our staffs made you feel welcomed and comfortable as that's one number one priority and that you love your room view and the amenities provided to you.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience your mother had with the bottles of water, as policy of the resort, since we are an all inclusive one, we provide water upon arrival and then you can fill up the bottle that you have by any of our bars or restaurants since the water of the restaurant and the bar is potable.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once gain for your honest review and for staying here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Kindest regards

Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Last year my brother suggested getting our families together for a group vacation, so we booked at Viva Fortuna Beach on his recommendation. We went and had such a great time that we booked another trip this year, adding more family members. 13 of us went, ranging in age from 13 to 78, and once again we had a wonderful time even though there was a tropical storm. I have read some horrible reviews on this site and I just don't get it. This is not a five star luxury hotel but the service is wonderful. The staff are friendly and accommodating. I never witnessed a single staff person being anything but polite.There is always an activity going on if you don't feel like just relaxing on the beach or at the pool. The shows they put on every night are family friendly. I felt safe with my teenagers roaming the resort. As this is an all inclusive resort there was always something to eat and the drinks flowed...If you want to go on vacation to complain I am sure that you could find something to complain about, but if you want to go and have a fun vacation I would highly recommend Viva Fortuna Beach.

Room Tip: When the weather is poor they move the disco into the main bar area and it runs until 2am so rooms f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
We would like to start by saying thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination for the second time.
We really do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations and also we would like to thank you also for you beautiful and honest review which is also very helpful to read for our upcoming guests.
We really appreciate reading that you bring more people from your family to our resort for your second time here and you still have a lot of fun with us and our staff, we are also glad you enjoy the food in our restaurants, our shows at night, our facilities and our daily activities and also all the staff working on property.
On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to say thank you once again for your comments, your honest review and for your generous hospitality. We would love to welcome you and your family here again so don't hesitate to contact us anytime if we can assist you with anything.

Siloam Springs, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I went for our anniversary in late February 2013. The front desk ladies were rude at best and totally devoid of any customer skills. The rooms are the worst I have ever seen anywhere. Everything is old, stained and dirty. THere are 3 different areas of buildings and two of them don't even have beach access or views. The food at the buffet was terrible. All overcooked at best and the same thing almost every day. Nothing was very fresh. The two reservation restaurants were a bit better. The Italian was the only bright spot in the entire resort. The staff and service is wonderful. The food was really very good, but pretty limited menu. We paid extra for the meal on our anniversary of steak and seafood and the steak was almost inedible. They apparently do not have any beef on the island as when it was served at the buffet it was terrible too. There is nowhere to go around the resort. You have to rent a car to get anywhere. If you rent from the resort it is around $75 a day ! And the cars were terrible. Dirty inside and out and smelly. Don't go in February either as the water is not warm at all. The beach has very few shaded areas. Just small palm frond umbrellas and not very many of them. If you don't get out to the beach early you won't get one. There is a VIP area that is roped off and it is much nicer. There were very few people in there, but you can't go in without the right wrist band.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thanks you visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort on your day pass excursion.
We apologize for not meeting up to your expectations, there for leaving you to experience an uncomfortable vacation throughout your stay.
Our aim is naturally to please everyone; however, each guest is unique and has different expectations, no to mention experiences.

We would like to thank you for your honest review and you hospitality here in our resort and on behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort caused to you and your family during your visit.

Kindest regards,

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!