“HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Save Saved
You added Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Doubloon Rd. & Churchill Dr., Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 18 hotels in Freeport
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Worst family vacation of my life. After waiting for hours to get our room, the key cards were not working, no hot water, no towels, no working tv and no working fridge. My island view was the backyard that consisted of 4 feet tall grass. No landscaping at all. All the restaurants were full so we had to eat buffet style the entire stay along with 100s of flies, the most disgusting thing I have ever had to do. The pool area was ok, if u like bees. On our last night we had mexican buffet, tasty, but after 2 hours I ended up in the bathroom for hours vomittng, my husband diarreah and my daughter vomiting at around 3 am. Next morning other families were at the hotel shop buying medicine for the same reasons. Obvious food poisoning. Front desk staff super nasty and very impatient with guest. The staff even tries to get u to buy time shares there, they must be crazy...don't ever stay here, youll regret it.

Room Tip: Heres a tip,,,, reserve in another resort.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

2,870 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Greenville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We came to this resort with a group of 8 family members, 2 of which were our parents that may never see this type of area again. The staff were some of the rudest people I have ever met. Upon arrival, we waited HOURS in line waiting to just check in. They must not have computers, because they hand wrote EVERYTHING. I asked one of the staff members helping to check in if there was a map of the resort I could look at and she pointed to a wooden sign/map outside the door and said "There's your map", then turned and walked away!!! WORST customer service I have EVER encountered.... EVER!!! Then when we were finally able to get into our rooms, we were sadly disappointed.... very run down, dirty bedding, bathroom vanity was held up by a 2x4, and the toilet paper roller (broken) was just like in a porta-potty, the toilet paper sat on the tank of the toilet :/ Then we went to buffet for dinner, if you don't mind a few birds flying around and a few thousand flies while trying to dine, you will love the place. The food through the week gradually got worse, and less of it. Same items everyday, and getting a reservation to dine at any of the other dining options, was non existent, although we tried a couple times. Any "free" cocktails were made with bottom shelf liquor, although they had top-shelf, it was reserved for time-share guests only!!! We couldn't even purchase a decent cocktail!!!! Then we decided to turn in around 9:00pm after a long day of travel only to be bounced right out of our beds from the pounding music from the bar area ..... It was unbelievable!! The staff were the main attendees in the bar/music area, I think it was mainly for their entertainment. I have traveled many places in and out of the USA, but this was absolutely the WORST EVER... The lawns/landscaping was also nonexistent.... Some of the grass was 1' tall..... it drove us crazy to look at as we are people that keep our yards groomed. The showers were okay until the room next to you flushed their toilet, then you had 2nd degree burns from the scalding water (you had to be fast)!!! We actually couldn't wait for our week to be over..... Not at all what we paid for, or what the pics of the resort look like!!! If you are thinking about the Grand Bahamas, I suggest going to the Grand Lucaya. Don't go here or recommend to anyone!! I am embarrassed and disappointed as I was the family member who chose this resort for my family getaway!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to start with a thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination.

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.

We are in constant training with all our staff members in each department, by reading your review, this can help us to maintain and improve for the better in the future. Thank you for your candor and your patience with us. We appreciate and wish to retain our valued patrons.
Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future.
On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A friend & I traveled to the Viva Wyndham for a "girls trip". We scoured through all of the trip advisor reviews before committing to this hotel. We were looking for a quick, affordable vacation resort with a beautiful beach and we got exactly what we expected. Please do not expect a four or five star experience here because you will absolutely be disappointed.

So now for the good parts! The beach is gorgeous. They have thatched huts available in case you want to stay out all day long without getting fried. The beach bar is nearby and offers food and drink all day long. We rarely had to wait in line for anything. There were always games/events going on in the pool area and they played music throughout the day. They offer a nightly show ranging from trapeze artists to a Michael Jackson impersonator...and they did a fantastic job! After the shows, they have a late night 'disco'. All of the employees were kind and extremely accommodating. We were very impressed with the service.

The not so good parts.....the food is "eeh". The buffet is housed in a building with no air conditioning. The windows/doors are left open throughout the day so lots of flies and birds are seen flying around inside. It reminded me of summer camp back when I was a kid. This was all expected.

I would recommend this resort for a fun girls trip for no more than 3 nights. We certainly had a great time :).

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for an "upgraded" room with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.
First of all we would like to thank you for your honest review and we are also happy to read that you enjoyed our beach, the snak bar and also our entertainment during the day and the night show and entertainment.
However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our main buffet offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.
Ending on behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your honest review also.
We would love to welcome you again in our resort so don't hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with anyting.

Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I came to this resort with my family. We have been to a few other all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico, but this was by far the worst. I could barely stomach to eat any of the food and it seemed to get worse and worse by the day. Our room was okay, however the back porch faced a creepy old dirt road where sketchy cars would stop and it's passengers would out of at night. If I was not on the second floor I would have been horrified. The shower barely works, the floors were dirty and the remote tended to break into pieces whenever it was used. The premises needed a complete overhaul, as the lawn was overgrown and many buildings remained in disrepair. However, the staff was actually very very nice and you could tell they wanted to try their hardest to help guests. If it weren't for the unlimited drinks, gorgeous beach and friendly staff I may have had a mental break down here.

• Stayed June 2013
VivaWyndhamTangerine, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to apologize for not meeting up to your expectations during you stay with us, yet we would like you to understand how grateful we are to read your review.

We are really glad to read that you enjoyed our staff and our activities, our beach and our bars around the resort.

We regret not having an opportunity to have met you while in our province as we have systems in place to address each concern as they may arise, giving us an opportunity to restore your confidence in our product and services.
In the meantime, we wish to again, sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort caused, and hope that you will consider returning for a true and positive experience as we have some wonderful developments on the way to better serve our invaluable guests.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to say thank you once more for your honest review and for your generous hospitality.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

3 girlfriends and I booked a 3 night trip to Viva Wyndham Fortuna in October 2012 via CheapCaribbean site. I'm very fortunate in that I've been able to travel the world and stay at some of the nicest places. This of course was not one of them - but we knew that from the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking it. For the 500 pp price tag (included flights from NC & all rooms/food/drinks), we weren't expecting the greatest food or accomodations. And we got exactly that. But we still had a great time and it definitely suited our purpose which was to have a fun, quick, sunny (& affordable) girls beach getaway. Would I ever take my husband here for a romantic getaway? Never. But for 4 girls in their 30's, we had a good time. The beach & ocean were beautiful and was the highlight, and the weather was exactly what we hoped for. The drinks were plentiful and free, and there weren't too many young kids around except for in the pool. The rooms were acceptable, basic but relatively clean - we had an ocean/beach view which was very nice. I liked that we were in smaller 2-level buildings rather than a 400+ room skyrise. Coco & a night security guard named Rondel (I believe that's right?) were our favorites to talk to, and were very accomodating. Rondel sang for us on request :) and also escorted us girls to the beach at night and back to our rooms so that we'd feel safe, which we really appreciated.

Downfalls: 1) First and foremost, there was some sort of girls-gone-wild/bikini//exotic dancer contest that was being hosted at the resort at the time we arrived. That was pretty annoying, as ~30+ girls in G-strings & pasties were crawling all over the place and obviously some low-budget adult filming was taking place. When asked, they all said they were there for a "swimsuit competition" but... err, not buying it. We're pretty smart cookies. I also caught a couple of them making out with male hotel employees in the back luggage storage room, which was classy. 2) FOOD. The food at the reservation-only restaurants was pretty awful. So awful that we couldn't even eat it and sent all 4 of our dishes back in exchange for a pizza. We saw quite a few others at the tables do the same. We also tried to order & pay extra for a bottle of champagne, of which they said they didnt have any even though it's on the menu. The buffet was not great, but it was acceptable - I was able to get juice & eggs & toast & fruit for breakfast, and for lunch I generally had a big salad. We also ate at the beach hut a few times, but it got old quickly as it's primarily junk food (burgers, hotdogs, etc.). 3) ENTERTAINMENT. We weren't interested at all in the entertainment, but the shows that we did see were pretty awful. Especially the lip-synching ones. The only one that was decent was the acrobatic show. The rest, I'd just skip. 4) CHECK-IN: Was incredibly slow upon arrival. But the bright spot, is that if you arrive early, you can store your bags at the front & still get your armband etc to go eat/drink/lay on the beach, which we were very happy to do so. Wifi is also only available at the check-in desk, which was a bit frustrating. 5) The building next to us apparently had some sort of septic issue that required heavy machinery digging in the courtyard, and it smelled horrific. Fortunately, we were far enough away that it did not seep into our rooms.

Overall, we had a good time. Do I feel I got my money's worth for the $500? Yes. Do I regret going? No. I had a lot of fun with my girlfriends, got a little R&R on the beach and came home with a lot of funny stories about the "bikini contestants". Will I go back? Pretty unlikely. But as long as you know what you're getting into and keep your expectations low, you'll probably have a good time. Be sure to pack yourself a large plastic cup or water bottle so that you can fill up your drinks - otherwise you'll be standing in line at the bar for most your trip. Hope that helps!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you while you were on property, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

Also we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused from the bikini model contest that we had during your stay here in the resort.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I spent a week here during spring break time for colleges and had a great time. I'm a few years out of college so it was nice to go to a resort that wasn't filled with older couples and had fun activities going on. The pool was gorgeous and the beach front had a lot to offer. I loved that the all inclusive included snorkeling and other beach activities that at a lot of other hotels would cost more. While we were there we did a Scuba dive through the hotel and the staff and experience was unforgettable. It's about a 10 minute ride into Port Lucaya which is a great place to visit at night time. The staff was friendly and the grounds were beautiful. The only complaint was because we were there during spring break there was some damage to the rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms without a beach view have wifi - but the beach view is absolutely worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff and were pleased to read how you have enjoyed all the activities going on around the pool and also our grounds and our diving experience.
We would love to welcome again with us in our resort, maybe not during spring brake so you can really anjoy all the facilities of our resort so don’t hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Kindest regards,

Montclair, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff was incredibly rude, food was absolutely horrible. Ran out of alcohol to which their reply was "no we are out, gin and vodka only!"Asked for sheets to be changed and was blatantly ignored. The only person who was helpful or nice was bellboy. Shutout to the bellboy. They ran out of laundry soap to which their reply was "I don't know when we will have more, call back when I am not to busy" not to mention they try to sell you on a timeshare with relentless pressure while calling and waking you up at 9am!!! To see if you will attend. I really tried to be open minded, only thing I enjoyed was the beautiful beach. Worse all inclusive EVER!!! Save your money for resort that appreciates your business and treats you like a guest, not a nuisance.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations and we regret not having an opportunity to meet with you while you were on property, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!