“Fun was had by all” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

You added Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Doubloon Rd. & Churchill Dr., Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Brighton, Michigan
“Fun was had by all”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

So for weeks prior to going to viva fortuna beach, I read the reviews. I do believe that most people are just too picky and maybe a bit spoiled...you know, want a lot for nothing. We had rainy weather and not very warm temperatures...no fault at all of viva wyndham. The beach was absolutely gorgeous which was the whole reason for our vacations.....to get away from snow and go to the beach! Our first room was a garden view room but we had paid for an ocean view room. The telephone did not work in the room nor did the hot water in the shower (although the hot water did work in the sink). They changed our room to an ocean view and it did have working hot water and working phone. We had to wait 2 hours for clean washcloths and towels as our new room had just been vacated. The food was what one should expect from a buffet. A decent selection, not everything was great but not one of us ever left a meal hungry. The burgers are great and the pasta salad was a huge hit. I found the drinks sufficient...after all we went there to enjoy the beach, not to get drunk. The coffee in the main bar was fantastic! The entertainment staff did a great job. They were very good at keeping everyone entertained and laughing. My kids loved it. I found all of the staff to be incredibly friendly. All in all, a great little getaway although now I hear march and April are the best months to come...warm and dry. I would go back especially for the price and because its not too far of a trip.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for ocean view room....you can hear the ocean best that way
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Arrived by cruise to stay at the "all inclusive" hotel for 2 days an even though it wasn't a bad place to stay it could be a lot better if it was more put together and freshened up.

This is the first time I ever thought about reviewing anything and believe me I'm always positive Peggy so even writing this should say something.

Cons:
Bathrooms- they were in need of the most work, the shower head was broke, the sink had a huge crack that was just glued back together, the fixtures didn't match at all, everything was poorly fixed. Our toilet stopped working 3 times, and the phone in the room didn't work at all which isn't ideal when your in the furthest building from the main office an cant call to take advantage of the free room service or ask any questions. The view we had was of a chain link fence with a broke down car on the other side with tons of trash all around.
Not to mention the coffee maker was in the bathroom less than half a foot from the toilet which is a little gross lol

Time management-
We arrived at 9:30 by shuttle from the cruise ship an had to wait till 3:00 pm exactly before we could check in, which is very frustrating. especially when you only have a day an a half at the hotel, It was nice that they put our luggage in storage for us an allowed us to use all the hotel amenities but if we needed clothes to change into after using the amenities, like the pool etc we had to go check out luggage from storage room (if you could find the bell man) then get it out open it on the sidewalk get clothes, go change, then come out clothes back in, it was just a hassle so me an my husband basically did nothing for 5 1/2 hours but walk around an look at the beautiful waters so it was more frustrating then horrible, but still.

Excursions:
Not many to choose from that are considered fun or reasonable, swimming with the dolphins is almost $200 a person an you only get a very very small amount of time with them. Also if you came by cruise usually you only have the day an half there and most of the excursions are only offered a certain day of the week and by the time you get to check into your room the first day the excursions are over for the day.

Shows & activities: there is not much to do after dark an the stuff there is to do like the shows, aren't that kid friendly, even though we didn't bring our young son I saw many parents that did bring their children, getting up an leaving due to the sexual and inappropriate things being done an said over an over again which would make me think twice about bringing our son back when he got older.

Food: you get what you pay for I guess. The "all inclusive" resort title made us excited and quick to upgrade and pay the extra $400 dollars that we did because we thought it would be more beneficial considering the food, drinks & activites were "included". The buffet food is the same foods over and over everyday an kind of got old and didn't really taste that great but it wasn't the worse either I guess. The restaurants they do offer you have to make reservations for and they book fast. We got reservations for one night bc we were tired of the buffet food an the Italian food restaurant was the same stuff as the buffet mostly, the pizza was the same an the stuff that was different, like the ravioli I got was only 5 small ravioli pieces in a huge plate so I left hungry anyways...and last but not least the "free" drinks were nothing great they were all premade with only a little bit of alcohol added on top an mixed in and they are served in a cafeteria plastic cup that makes it feel nothing like a fun relaxing vacation.

All in all the beautiful sand an water make up for most of the little annoying and frustrating parts of the stay here and most of the people were really outgoing an nice, the area outside of the hotel is pretty run down an under developed but like I said its wasn't horrible & we made the best of the alone time together but would I go back? Probably not.

• Stayed February 2013
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to start with a thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination.

First of all we apologize for not meeting up to some of your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference; and regarding about our rooms we would like to let you know that we have in progress a renovation system for near future to make sure that each guest has the greatest and unique experience in their most waited vacations.

We regret not having an opportunity to meet with you while you were on property, not to mention systems in place to address each concern as they arise. More importantly, we believe that our invaluable clients are deserving of a worry-free vacation.

Also, we apologize for any situation that may occurred whilst in our property, like the your opinion about the nightly shows and excursions yet we would like to let you know that we have fallowed with our procedures and make sure to let the personnel responsible aware of for due better for guest to enjoy fully.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

General Manager.
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach for 7 days, Feb 8 to 15, 2013 we found the rooms very clean, the maids very friendly, the food in the buffet restaruant was good, but some of the staff was not very friendly . The beach was beauiful and we walked for long time on it everyday. The sea was cold, but once in it was o.k. THe pool was cold. The weather was windly but Sunny every day except Valentines day. Entertainment was o.k. Overall, if your looking just to relax perfect place. I would come back again. The price was right.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all as well as the activities, food and our beautiful beach.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more for your honest review and for staying here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

White Plains, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been in Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach during 2012 November..We got a deal from Groupon- which was dissatisfaction since I realized the amount we paid to Groupon was the regular price of the hotel..

In our first day, to check-in they made us wait long in the queue then they realized actually we had to wait in another line..We started with negative attitude...once we get in the room - my expectation was not high at all..I was expecting warmer at least..There was no hot water!!! We had to make several phone calls..Even we talked with one of the manager to able to make it fixed..

Food...I am sorry but even my expectation is low, I can definitely say the price and the quality you receive do not match at all...the only thing I could eat was the Pizza which is served at midnight and the burgers at the pool bar.. Breakfast, lunch, dinner nothing was tasty..There were choices, not many but at least there were choices but all was bad...When I remember my stomach gets upset..Don't expect to see clean and hygienic environment..

Drink..I didn't enjoy the drinks at the hotel as well, even unlimited alcohol I couldn't drink much..Drinks they were not good at all..I didn't like the tequila, rum and beer..I drank couple of times but just to be drunk and not to realize the hotel..

Our sunglasses & some cash stolen from the beach - from the VIP section - and when we asked for help..They were just insensible..And they said the beach is not belonging to hotel..There is nothing they could do..We made several call again.. But just they ignored..

Bahamas itself nice to go but try not to go this hotel..Or be aware you won't be receiving what you pay..If you get really nice deal maybe you can enjoy... You have to keep expectation realllllllyyyyyy low.

Why I gave 2 stars just because of the view the hotel has and the beach...The rest was dissatisfaction..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

First of all we would like to apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Although we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed our Italian Cousin and we will pass your opinion and comment to our Chefs to get better in our Oriental Restaurant.

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future. Yet we are thankful that you all had a good time wilts in Grand Bahama Island.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Lima, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went with 2 other couples from Feb.2nd-9th 2013,After reading reviews for months prior to going.Forget what they say!The staff was friendly,food was ok & alcohol was ok.Beach was clean & beautiful,water cool but enjoyable.Rooms clean & quiet & comfortable,had a coffee maker in the room,but no coffee.Suggest getting coffee from the Goomsbay bar,much better than what is @ the buffet.The pizza @ night behind the italian cafe was the best,no matter what was on it,worth the wait.Hamburgers& nacho's on the beach were very good as well.I would suggest to take a 1/2 mile walk to te right of the resort down the beach to the Cleveland's bar & have the lobster & conk fritters @ the Sandbar beside it as well-delicious!Actually met the owners of both bars & are very friendly as well.The beach vendors were friendly,just a simple "no thanks" & went on our way.Nightly entertainment was woth checking out.The pool was cold but kids were enjoing it & the trapeeze as well.Would go again for the price & the sun,sand,& break from the Ohio winter!

Room Tip: Bimini block was nice & quiet,had room# 1203 small view of the ocean but would do same room agai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff and were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in all our restaurants, the activities and entertainment, we also are happy about hearing that you enjoyed our rooms as well as what the beach and island offered to you.
We would love to welcome again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just got back from a week at Fortuna beach (Feb 2-9). Yes I also read all the reviews and was a little apprehensive about the place. Fortunately most of the bad review were blown out of proportion. We stayed in "C" block the rooms were dated but the beds were very comfortable and quiet. The disco is shut down and was moved to the main bar. The maid service was poor as they did the bare minimum just to say they were there. They came at irregular times or not at all.
The beach is fantastic!! Loved walking along it in the morning with a big mug of coffee. The service at the beach bar is horrible most of the times the bartender is not even there. When they are you get crappy drinks...the funny part is they have a tip jar on the counter, "Sorry dudes I don't tip for nonexistent service". The main bar service is very good worth the extra walk to get a drink.

The buffet food was "okay" but not something you would look forward to unless it was a theme night like Italian night. The Italian restaurant was very good. We went there twice and both times it was awesome. The Asian restaurant was not so good. One of the best kept secrets is Bertha's Blue Dingy a very rustic beach restaurant just down the beach ( go to the beach, turn right and walk for about 10 minutes just past the big chunk of concrete on the beach is Bertha's). We went there one night for something different. Bertha cooked us fish, chicken, baked potatoes swimming in butter and a huge salad. My kids (16, 15 and 12 years old) raved about the chicken. Personally I found the fish to be the best I have ever had.

Overall I would return to this resort we found there were more good points than bad. We prefer smaller resorts and this one fit the bill with a great beach to boot!!

Room Tip: The best coffee can be found at the end of the main bar. They make each cup individually.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort. We are happy that you enjoy our Italian Restaurant, our rooms as well as what the beach and island offered to you.

Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at VWFB at the end of Jan 2013 for 6 nights. Going into the trip, we knew exactly what we were getting: precisely what we paid for. Make no mistake, this resort is 3 star all the way. The food, grounds, rooms, facilities, drinks, service...everything was just "okay." We went because we found a phenominal deal and needed to get away from the cold weather and enjoy an incredible beach. The beach and water are simply amazing. I'd definitely recommend going with an ocean front room in Bimini 1 or 2. They are the furthest away from the noise of the disco and we had no issues hearing the music. We were in B1114 which sat right on the beach and was nicely upgraded. The room was extremely basic but nice. AC worked fine, several channels on a flat screen TV and the matress was surprisingly comfortable. There were minor cosmetic issues, but if you can't be satisfied at such a gorgeous beach, you're most likely pretty miserable anyway ;) As with most All-Inclusives, if you take $100 in 1 dollar bills and tip bartenders and housekeeping, your service and experience will increase greatly.

Grand Bahama Island is realitvely small and uncrowded. The airport was terrific and we were in a cab within 10 minutes of landing. Customs and immigration was a breeze, much better than we've ever experienced in the carribean. We rented a car and went to Gold Rock Beach which was worth every single penny. We rented a Jetta from the resort and it was 72 bucks for 24 hours. The island is very safe and we enjoyed getting away from the resort and experiencing the island.

I've seen alot of negative reviews, but honestly if you level-set your expectations you'll have a fantastic time as we did. Frustration is when unrealistic expectations meets reality. Manage your expectations and you'll have a great time.

Room Tip: Oceanfront Bimini 1 or 2
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
First of all it is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and that you like your husband had a great time in Grand Bahama Island not only our premises also our truly Bahamian atmosphere.
Also we are thrilled to read about your opinion not only in our food and beverage variety regarding as well that each guest is unique and also our room amenities and service and of curse we are glad to see how much you enjoyed our beach area, and most important that we have covered all your standards and expectations.
Ending on behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.
We would love to welcome again with us in our resort thinking that there is lots more to explore in Grand Bahama Island. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.
Kindest regards

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!