“Commend Management and Staff on Recent Great Reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

You added Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach to your Saves list
Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Doubloon Rd. & Churchill Dr., Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
california
“Commend Management and Staff on Recent Great Reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We are former residents of Freeport Bahamas now residing in California. We have returned to Freeport many times. The past 5/6 times we have stayed at Viva Fortuna. We have followed the reviews over the years for Viva which until the past year or so have been mostly somewhat negative.

The past 2/3 times we have vivisted the property has been under the management of Mr. LaChapel and staff. We would like to commend Mr. LaChapel and staff on the ongoing latest great reviews of Viva.

Our past visit there (ten family members) during August 2011 was unbelievable. We had two eight year olds and two 6 years olds and 6 adults.

We are presently in the process of preparing for our next visit to Viva later this year and can't wait.

Again, congratulations to Staff at Viva for those wonderful reviews.

Room Tip: Bimini Building with ocean views. Wonderful!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear guests,

Thank you for choosing and having already chosen several time Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as a destination for your vacation.

We are so glad to read that you had such a good time during your last stay here with us with your whole family. Our returning guests are the most important guests for us. It is an honor for us that you have chosen us, especially as former Freeport residents.

It is as well a pleasure for us to see that you are following on our reviews and that you as well observed the positive changes in the reviews. Of course this is done most of all in all the positive improvements we have done on our property and are still ongoing. We are proud as well to see and be part of those great changes.

We would like you to know that we will be more than happy to welcome you back here with us. If we can be of any assistance for you already prior to your arrival, please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Service department at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com. We hope as well to receive your honest feedback about all the additional improvements we will have since your last visit.

On behalf of staff and management, we once again would like you to thank for your honest and positive review as well for all upcoming guests to read.

We will be looking forward to your return.

Kindest regards

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

My husband and I visited Freeport for the first time Jan. 10 - 17, 2012 and stayed at Viva Wyndham Fortuna. We took my aunt who just turned 87 and had always wanted to go to the Bahamas. We were in the Bimini Building. My aunt was in the B1202 and we were ocean front in B1215. The first night we didn't have hot water. The next day we found out that there was a busted pipe which they were able to fix. The location of our room was perfect for us and the views were beautiful-Just what we wanted. The only thing was our beds were very uncomfortable. They were low to the floor and I really felt like I was sleeping on a box springs. The beautiful sunsets & sunrises and easy access to the beach made the uncomfortable beds tolerable. My aunt was in an adjoining building. Our phone did not work but my aunt's did. That had us concerned that we couldn't communicate her. When we reported our phone they said that they were in the process of upgrading the phone system and could move us to another room. Again, we liked the location of our room so we stayed. It turned out that we didn't need to be concerned about my aunt because the employees knew she was by herself and took extra good card of her. We appreciate that very much, especially the extra attention Kim, her housekeeper, gave "Aunt Betty".
The following is something to be aware of. One day we took a cab to Laycaya Market. Cabs are outside the entrance of the resort and the front desk called one for us. Frank was our cab driver. On the way, Frank handed us a piece of paper with his name, phone number and "Big D" hand written on it. He said he was going to drop us off at her spot at the market (where the cab drivers gather) and she would call him for us when we were ready to go back, and she would take care of us. "Big D" wasn't there but her big son was. He was a little pushy about us buying things from him. I told him that since we had just got there we wanted to look around first but we'd be back when we are ready to go. We enjoyed the rest of the market and had a nice lunch at the After Deck. Later when were ready to go back, "Big D" was there. She is true to her name. We showed her the paper Frank had given us and asked her to call him. She saw we had bags and was quite upset that we had shopped in other stores. We had to buy from her; she was going to give us a bargain. I told her there was a sweatshirt I wanted to buy from her. She said if I paid cash she would give it to me for $30 instead of $35. I told her I wanted to put in on a credit card. Her shop space was tiny and she had my aunt & I cornered, insisting on cash because she needed to buy lunch. I told her I only had enough money for the cab (which isn't cheap). She was VERY upset and told me to get it from my aunt or husband (my husband was outside). She said it was Frank's shop and I had to buy something. I had to be firm and get out of there. She wasn't happy! I asked her to just call Frank but she said he just left. We finally took another cab. That is the only time that I felt scared and worried and my 87 yr old aunt was upset. Everyone else on the island is so very nice. When we got back to Viva we reported Frank & "Big D". The next day we were told that Frank was asked about "Big D". He remembered us and said he had no idea that had happened. We were told by someone at the resort that Frank was told that if they had another report like that again her would not be able to have his cab there. Our advice to any who takes a cab into the market, stay away from "Big D"!!!
One day we went to the Garden of the Groves and really enjoyed it. There are bicycles to use at Viva Wyndham and it was nice to take a bike ride. All and all we had a wonderful time at Viva Wyndham. The weather was cool and we had a little drizzle our 1st full day there. The beach is beautiful!!! The pool area is beautiful but unfortunately it was too cold to get in. The resort is a perfect place to relax. We travel a good bit and found the buffet food to be a B+ compared to other all-inclusive. The one complaint with the buffet was that they had salt shakers on the tables, but the pepper grinders by the salad bar. So you go through the buffet, take your food back to your table and if want pepper you have to take your plate back to the salad bar and by the time you get back to your table, your food is cold. The Italian restaurant was nice and we ate there twice. The employees on the resort always greeted us with a smile. I feel they couldn't do enough to accommodate us. We had the pleasure of meeting Earnest and we look forward to seeing him again. All and all we highly recommend this resort. We look forward to coming back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your past experience in our installations as well for choose us as your vacation destination.

We are very satisfied that in overall you enjoyed the time spend with us, the friendliness of our staff as well the marvelous sunsets & sunrises our beautiful Bahamas has to offer.

We also would like to thank you for each one of your comments which we will use as a beautiful opportunity to evaluate improvements especially regarding our beds and telephone system which we are currently updating.

On behalf of our management we deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your visit to Port Lucaya market; I will like to assure on behalf of our management, that all you comments have been taken in consideration as a valuable opportunity to improve all our visitor experience.

We sincerely hope to have the honor to be again at your service,

Best regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews about this hotel on Trip Advisor, we had some concerns about staying at this hotel. Once we arrived they were all put aside. We stayed in Bimini block with an ocean front view, an upgrade from our orginal booking. The beach is fabulous white sand soft and long. You can walk for miles.

The service has been excelllent, for example my husband made an unusal request for some silicone glue from the maintenance staff and they not only provide him with it, but left it in our room while we were out for the day - totally amazing. Everyone else is also very nice and friendly.

If you are coming for the food and entertainment is definitely not the destination for that. The food is edible but not spectacular, unless you swing by the main bar on Wednesday afternoon for fresh conch fritters and salad, or the pizza bar after 11 pm for great thin crust pizza. The entertainment, I use that word loosely, is amusing at best, but the disco is a lot of fun.

The best thing about this is the beach and the reef where you can snorkel right of th beach. There is a wide vareity of fish and my husband even saw a smalll stingray. Great place where you can lay on the beach, go snorkelling or just take a beach walk whenever you want.

This resort is not overly crowded an you could always get a beach chair.

In other words, if you just want a relaxing vacation and don't need 5 star accomadations I would recommend this place highly.

Grand Bahama Island is also much quieter that Nassau and the locals ae very friendly. Joe, our cab driver was grreat and took us where we need to go.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort as your vacation destination.

We are thrilled to read how much fun you had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as the food in our restaurants, especially the fresh conch salad and conch fritters on Wednesday, the beautiful large beach and how could we not mention the snorkeling right of the beach.

We are happy to see that you were pleased with the services from our staff, as it is our main goal to offer you a great time with us in a great welcoming and forthcoming atmosphere. We are glad to see that you brought so many good memories with you.

On behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your positive review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.

Kindest regards
Baden(outside Toronto)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

First off we travelled with our 17month old & 3 yr old children. As well this is the 9th resort I have stayed at, first time in Bahamas. The other times has been Mexico, Jamaica, St. Maarten, Dominican and Costa Rica.

That being said, hands downs BEST BEACH ever for a resort!!
Spacious, lots of shade huts and chairs. Even if you don't make it out until noon you can still find a spot to sit. Only prob, if you don't have ocean front room its a long hike past pool, lobby bar to bathrooms. Small complaint but I think the resort is putting up restrooms by the beach based on the look of a small building in progress.

Food - Great, I don't know how people would complain. Absolutely anything you could think of for breakfast. All the staples, plus porridge, hot chocolate, yogurt. Lunch & Dinner always had 2 soups, salad bars, pasta station, pizza (great), potatoes, meats and dessert. We did take the opportunity to eat the at Italian restaurant it was fabulous! For being a la carte, its decor is not Italian and little plain jane, but nice linens and great staff there. Overall the staff was great, they probably hated when we came as they had to clean up around my 17month high chair all the time.
Beach bar was fabulous to grab burger, hot dog or nuggets.
Drinks - Great, lots of selection.

Staff - Fantastic. We had an amazing maid that went out of her way to talk to our kids and bring my daughter shells. Even brought me a coconut to have the water.
Guest Services were excellent, I was trying to rent car but ran into issues with car seat requirements and they were going out of their way to help me.
Bar staff, by day 3 I finally learnt the one guys name that was getting my drinks ready as I walked up. They pay attention.
They were all great at bar or restaurant for getting milk for our son if needed.

Resort/Rooms - Its 3.5 stars. If you expect 5 star go somewhere else. Everything was very clean. We were in unrenovated room near front it reminded me of Holiday Inn/Best Western that is a bit older in Canada. We got moved to renovated Ocean front room at the resorts request to do some maintenance. There really was no difference. It was more modern, no floral print comforters, flat screen and moden desk furniture. Overall both rooms were great, as they were clean. By the way, first room didn't have a fridge we requested one and had it within an hour. Have little one we needed to have cold milk overnight in case.

Overall I have nothing bad to say. Feel free to message with questions.
My tip though, treat the staff nice and they will treat you excellent. I overheard some people being rude and I'm sure they'll be the ones to complain about the bar staff.

Room Tip: Ocean front
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination for you and your family.

We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff. It is great to read that you felt so welcomed and comfortable with us, as our staff is our biggest asset.

We were pleased to read how you have enjoyed the food in all our restaurants, specially the Viva Cafe Italian, as well your room and of course the large beautiful beach. We understand your concerned with our bathrooms, therefore as you already correctly observed we are in the process of building new bathrooms right next to pool and beach to improve our quality for all our guests.

Best regards

Lancaster, PA.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The girls and I had a fun few days last Feb. The resort is Clean, staff is friendly, food is good, not gourmet but for the price, not bad. The entertainment staff was great. They kept the place lively and interacted with guests very well. Water sports were included and very accessable. The beach is FANTASTIC! I'm leaving next week for a return visit. FYI...Flight from BWI, all inclusive resort for 4 night, 5 days including all taxes, Great Deal! Check out Vision Airlines vacation packages. No, I'm not a sales Rep, I just want to help people find this great deal. Have Fun!
Kim

Room Tip: We chose a deluxe room with two queen beds, the room size and layout were fine. Bathroom had tub/sh...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We are thrilled to read how much fun you had whilst staying here, especially to see that you enjoyed our amenities provided for you, such as the water sports equipment, the food, the entertainment and of course the beautiful beach.

We are glad to be able to welcome you back with us. Please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Services at guestfortuna@vivaresorts.com if we can do anything for you prior to your arrival. You will see as well the improvements that we already finished since your last visit, we upgraded a lot at the resort to improve our services and of course we are looking forward to receive your honest feedback.

We will be looking forward to your return.

Best regards
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My wife and I were to this resort in Jan and had the most excellent time. Staff were awesome, resort was great and food was really amazing and lots of it. This was my first time to a sun vacation and I was so amazed at how beautiful it was here. If your looking to go here then don't hesitate. I want to say thanks to the entertainment staff who work so hard from sun up to sun down...you guys were awesome.
This was really a great place for the money and would absolutely go back again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012 via mobile

We went to Viva Wyndham on a Carnival Cruise excursion. Our bus driver David was prompt, friendly, and knowledgable. We arrived at the hotel and was given a brief overview of the resort (it consisted of sitting in the open air theater and the employees pointing in different directions). We were then left to our own to enjoy the next 6 hrs. First we stopped in the buffet. There were birds flying everywhere, and some were sampling the buffet. I waited for a new tray of pastries to be put out so I didn't get a half eaten one. The dining area was very large, but over 50% of it was blocked off for Living Social customers. There was 1 L.S. table occupied while the rest of us were packed in together. After breakfast we walked down to the beach. It was breathtaking. The sand was clean and white, and the water was crystal blue. We spent a few hours lounging in the beach chairs under a thatched shelter which was nice and well-maintained. After a while we decided to try the snorkling (which was included free in our package). The wind was extremely hard that day, so much so that the other free water activities kayaking and sailing were closed because "the sail could be ripped off the boat". Because of the wind the waves were very high, and we knew we would need to swim out quite far. When we asked the employee renting the equipment for lifejackets, he laughed at us. He advised us to stay in a roped off section of the beach because otherwise we would die. Obviously we are concerned with safety, so I thought this warning was a bit harshly delivered. So after issuing us lifejackets and gear, we headed to the water. Unfortunately there were huge rocks and clumps of seagrass everywhere, so you had to swim to avoid the impossible walk. At the very edge of the ropes, the water cleared enough to see some fish, but overall the snorkling was not worth the effort and ridicule. We went back to the buffet for lunch, but the selection was disappointing. We ended up at the snackbar on the beach having chicken tenders, hotdogs, and fries. The mixed drinks we sampled were good (bahama mama and pins colada) as was the local beer called Sands which was recommended by the bus driver. The bartenders were nice. We visited the gift shop and drug store looking for souvenirs. The gift shop had a very limited selection, most of the items being Viva Wyndham specific rather than Bahamas. The drug store had more of a selection, but it was run by the rudest woman we had met. To add insult to injury, she was marking out the printed manufacturer price of $12.99 on the sunglasses tag and writing $19.99 with a Sharpie. She didn't even seem to care if we saw. She treated everyone like they were a huge inconvenience, and was snippy when asked questions.

Overall we enjoyed our time lounging on the beach and walking up and down the shoreline. We didn't drink enough or eat enough to make the unlimited food and drinks worth the price. If you are looking for the postcard experience, pretty pictures and a relaxing time, this excursion fit. If you want the all-inclusive experience, try a nicer resort.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your destination for your shore excursion while on your cruise.

We are pleased to read how you enjoyed our beautiful beach with the lounge chairs and the amenities provided for you, such as the snorkeling and the drink selection.

We apologize for not meeting up to your standards and expectations. However, concerning our food and beverage departments, each guest is unique and has different expectations. Our cuisine offers a great variety of options every day in meats, pasta, fish, salads, desserts and appetizers. Although we truly regret you could not find something of your preference.

We would like you to know that we do take all our guests reviews into great consideration. We like to use them to help us towards our training, which is carried out constantly with all our staff members in each department. Our aim is to give all of our guests 100% satisfaction; however, we do apologize for not meeting your satisfaction.

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Kindest Regards,

Guest Services

Been to Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach? Share your experiences!