“Royal Islander did it's job” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Islander
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Mall Drive, Freeport F-42549, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Freeport
A TripAdvisor Member
“Royal Islander did it's job”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

I was a bit skeptical about the Royal Islander after reading some of the reviews, but now I've been able to form my own opinions.

Check-in was delayed for us because we had an entire family in front of us that was staying for a family reunion, so I can't time that one. Once we got in, the rooms were very clean (although we were placed into smoking rooms and we are not smokers.) The room was extremely basic: 2 double beds, a small table with 2 chairs, a dresser with a color cable tv (no remote...have to ask the front desk I heard?), it's true the iron isn't in the room but asking for one is no big deal, phone, and a bathroom. As far as service goes...on my 3rd out of 4 days staying at the Royal Islander, I came into the bathroom to find the toliet seat covered in water. I looked above and saw the ceiling leakng from a crack that I had seen when I first came. I came up to the front desk and was taken care of immediately. I was offered twice to switch rooms and apologized to over & over. I didn't switch since I was checking out in 15 hours. I was told that if they had known that room was in that condition, they would have never put someone in it. I was fine with it. As for maid service...you might want to bring your own beach towels for swimming. The towels came in the late afternoon each day, yet they take away the used towels several hours before, thus you have nothing to dry off with at the pool. The pool was gorgeous & clean.

As for location, the Royal Islander has it all. The International Bizzare was across the street. McDonalds, Papa Johns, Subway, and Burger King were all in walking distance. Taxi drivers seem to hang out in front of the International Bizzare so it's never a problem trying to get a ride. Port Lucaya is only a public bus ride away, a dollar per person. You can purchase & plan trips straight from the trip specialists in the lobby. Hattie was extemely helpful and even waited outside with us while we were waiting for our guided tour. Only downside of the location as others mentioned was the club next door. I didn't seem to have much trouble sleeping though (and I'm a light sleeper.)

The gift shop was lacking...no necessities such as batteries availible. There is, however, a drug store in walking distance. The hotel restaurant wasn't terribly overpriced from what I saw. I only ate breakfast there (twice) and thought the food was great and came to me in about 3 minutes. I got a breakfast special for $3.50 and $1.50 for coffee.

Overall I found the hotel pleasant. I would stay at the Royal Islander again.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

My friends and I stayed at the Royal Islander for a week and had an amazing time. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome,and The pool and hot tub were so nice, we went in them everyday. The Royal Islander is in a great location, just across the street from the International Bazaar, and close to a lot of food. Even though the hotel is right next to a club that stays open until 2AM it shouldn't bother you because you're so tired for doing stuff all day that you fall asleep soundly. The hotel has a bus that will take you to a beach for free or you can pay $1 to take a bus to another beach. Also, when you arrive, there is someone there to help set you up with all kinds of fun activites. We went on a 4 hour bus tour, a glass bottom boat, and snorkeling. We had so much fun we are going back next year. I recommend the Royal Islander to everyone!!!
Hello to our new friends from Georgia, Texas, and the Bahamas. From two Canadians and one Iowan.

• Stayed May 2005
EIRE pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2005

Make the best of it. Its not the hilton. Its a 2 - 3 star hotel. Rooms are what you expect for around $75.00 a night. They are clean as well. Drinks were cheap compared to the rest of the island and my room was cleaned every day. I rated it above average because for the price you get what you pay for. I never had to complain to the staff so im not sure how they would treat you if you had to do so. It was just me and my girlfriend. Now for the negatives: Pushy time share and entertainment sales. I told them flat out no and would talk to them later that week. They were not happy at all. There is a table in the lobby and they sit there like ducks wating for you. BUT, its like that at all the 2-3 star hotels in freeport according to other travelers. Freeport is still recovering from the hurricanes and they have always thrived on our tourisim. Freeport itself: At the international Bazzar and the resort where we purchased a time share, "which we though we could get out of and are having a hard time doing so with in 7 so called days". You will get solicitated for drugs and poverty stories for a buck or two. Thats the real world in someplaces Even the private resorts. Look out for undercover cops i heard. All in all the Bahamian people were very nice. The bazar had a nice native show on night we where there. If you looking for night life or clubs in freeport forget it. ITs a laid back place. The Royal Islander was fine and the island was nice. Please submit vacation reviews on trip advisor to help other people make better decisions.

• Stayed April 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

It was our first trip to the Bahamas and our travel agent recommended the Royal Islander. I took my hole family, ten people. What a mistake we made listening to her. It was a total night mare. No running water in our dressing area sink. they said they would fix it as soon as we left. Thank you very much.
The staff acted like they wished we weren't there and they treated us so. They refused to fix any problems and wouldn't help with any shuttle or taxi scheduling. When we were having trouble with an excursion shuttle they wouldn't even make a phone call to see were the shuttle was so they wouldn't forget us. Well when after seven requests they finally decided to make the call 20 minutes before the excursion was set to sail they told us if we hurried and caught a taxi we might be able to get to the ship in time. and that was a prepaid excursion. the good news is I paid for it with a master card so i will get my money back.
We had many other things that a friendly staff could have helped alleviate but since the staff din't really care It was a night mare. When i told them that I was totally disgusted their response was that they didn't need us. This is their home. Whatever that means.

Take a word of caution and if you do decide to go to the Bahamas, stay away from the Royal Isander.
Terrible isn't even close to how bad they are.

• Stayed March 2005
Woking
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Islander as part of a Discovery Cruise package, which somebody else put together for us and when we heard our hotel was not on the beach we tried to change it on arrival at the Discovery Office at the port, but they were not interested. By the end of our little stay (3 nights), I was able to appreciate our hotel as being much better than anything else we had seen, as far as inland hotels were concerned. It looked nice from outside and was quite pleasant once inside with the lobby looking over the swimming pool and Hot-tub area with lots of greenery and trees. There was a little restaurant attached to it which was handy the first evening, because after walking around and finding nowhere suitable to eat, we returned to the hotel to eat and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are acceptable for a short stay and clean although the bathroom/shower area was a little dated Unfortunately there is an adjacent Nightclub which you are more than aware of until very late. You do have to take taxis everywhere, or catch the local bus from outside the hotel and for $1 it takes you to the main town. There was a shuttle bus to a beach which was OK but the best place to go was Tranquillity Shores, a taxi ride of $16, which we went to kill time prior to our return cruise. Well worth it. The hotel was fine for the short stay, but next time I'm on the beach!

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

My bf and I went for New Year's eve last year. The hotel room was nice, but I found the concierge to be quite pushy in regards to making reservations for tours, etc. There was also a $35/ person hotel tax that we were unaware of, which took away from our alcohol funds!! The staff was generally helpful, although it took forever to get extra towels. The only other complaint I have is that its in the middle of no-where! The bazaar is across the street, but its definitely not everything the brochures make it out to be. There is a great little restaurant that we went to in Freeport, not far from the hotel (we walked to it) that had really amazing food. Other than that, you have to take a taxi EVERYWHERE!!! The taxi service is shotty at best... usually you have ride with 7-8 people to get a decent fare ($5/person). I suggest you take the bus which is $1/person to pretty much anyplace. Plan for the extra cash to get around. Hope this helps someone out! Wish I had known then what I know now. Oh! and the pool is NOT heated!!!!! the jazucci is nice though.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

My wife and I visited the Royal Islander in late July. The hotel was generally clean and convenient; the people friendly. However, the open-air bar across the street was so noisy it actually vibrated the walls to the beat of the music. We did not sleep well during the course of our 3 night stay. The management is aware of this problem but "can't do anything about it." We loved the island and will likely return someday but we would not stay at the Royal Islander again as long as that bar across the street remains in business!

Been to Royal Islander? Share your experiences!