“SCUBA at its best... Hotels ok as well” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   48-60 Bahama Reef Blvd. | PO Box F-42695, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #8 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Gatwick, United Kingdom
“SCUBA at its best... Hotels ok as well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

Booked the hotel through Grand Bahama Scuba via email..

Cost for cab from airport is about 20 to 23 US$.
Reception was excellent, sorted me out with a key in minutes. Room was a 1 bed self catering and it was massive. Lovely bed, shower, cooking and living areas with a view onto the canal system and out to the sea.. (2 beds also available)

Rooms may have previously been described as dated, but there were workmen busy painting and making things nice... They re-vamped 4 condos whilst I was there, and frankly the one I was in was fine..Its nice to see a complex re invest money in itself to make better..

Free safe in the room, coffee maker, microwave, VT, iron and board..

The meals in the bar area were good and not expensive....ideal if you are on vacation and dont want to cook..

There is internet connection either with your own machine or one of the hotel computers at $5 per day or $25 per week.. Which is a lot better than what I was charged in Nassau at $10 for 30 mins!!

Pool is very clean and of a good size..there is also a small pool, this was being retiled whilst I was there..

Now the good bit...the staff are FANTASTIC, typical of almost all the Bahamian people they are quiet and reserved but if you smile and say hello they just grin from ear to ear.. They couldn't do enough for me, Its a timeshare/condo complex with a customer service second to none..

Car hire is available at Ocean Reef, so dont worry about getting one at the airport..

There are lots of things organised, and various trips you can go on, however I just used my mornings (9am -2pm) scuba diving with Fred and his team at Grand Bahama Scuba... They treated me very well and divers were made to feel like part of an extended family on the boat.. who were looked after very well... rather than just treated like cattle..I looked at the other dive operators but would recomend this one...and I have been diving over 20 years so I know what to look for..

A cab into Port Lucya is roughly $12 and this is where the night life is, casino, bars, restaurants etc..

If flying into Freeport from Nassau (where the UK flights go) you can make a return trip with Bahamas air for about $170.. phone
1- 242- 352 8341

• Liked — Friendly
  • Disliked — err...nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

Can Anyone tell me Approximatley what it cost to get to the Resort from the Airport?? We are coming down in October a group of 6 ladies and we are trying to find out if we should rent a car.

Please give me an approximate if possible

Shelley from Ohio

Stayed May 2007
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Ocean Reef is the best in the area. Be sure to avoid the sales staff if you can. They know how to ruin your vacation. They have a office over the main pool. I have the impression they plan their bad sales attacks while you are in the pool. My husband & I have owned there since 1994 & we have visited there many times. The resort staff is great with the exception of the sales staff. You will see the sales staff dressed out of character with no island flair, business like & entertaining the sales tactics by the pool. A definite turn off. I visited the resort alone without my husband in May 2006. While there, they informed me I did not own there only my husband did. They hounded me the whole week to sale me my own timeshare. I wouldn't recommend planning anything through the resort with the exception of car rental. Only because its easy & affordable. The maintenance & bar staff are great. Great place to visit but don't bother buying from their sales staff. If someone is overly friendly you may just find out they are on the sales team.

• Liked — everything but the sales staff
  • Disliked — the sales staff
  • Stayed May 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

My husband and I went to the Ocean reef resort for our honeymoon in December 2005. Our goal was to dive as much as possible. We selected this resort because there is a dive shop on the resort.

The diving experience was great! We thought the diving crew was wonderful and they made a great effort to bring us in different dive sites as much as possible (we were there 2 weeks). Melinda was awesome, she gave me some very strong medication for sea sickness since dramamine wasn't helping me this time on the boat( I have terrile sea sickness)! The corals were overall good (not as great as Cozumel but we expected that). The wrecks dive and the sharks dives were awesome. The only negative I would say is that the dive shop was not doing any night dive...

We had a 1 bedroom and a great kitchen. I loved our patio and we were on the ground level just in front of a BBQ grill. We ate steaks and burgers often and we loved it! We ate in our hotel room about 2/3 of the nights. The best thing about the room was the kitchen, very handy. I think it would be a great plus with kids! The grocery is expensive but the restaurants are even more so! The furniture and decorations of the room is pretty basic, nothing luxurious but fine...Also the view is not great. We saw a canal with some boats, nothing exciting... An other thing to know is that there is no maid service unless you pay a supplement. I didn't think it would bother us but it did a little bit. After coming back from snorkeling, we would always have sand stuck under our sandals and shoes so the floors were always messy...

The staff is great and they were always very friendly. I didn't like their presentation for the timeshare, they were harrassing us. We told them at least 3-4 times that we were not interrested in buying a timeshare with them but they kept on pushing... Otherwise, there was no problems with the staff. The trips organised by the resort were great, especially the shopping trip. You absolutely have to go to the candle factory and the liquor store!

On the down side, I will have to say that I do not recommend this resort if you like the beach because it's kind of far! We are not beach people but we walked there quite a few times to do some snorkeling and it was a good 15 minutes walk. With our fins, masks, etc, it was a little bit of a hassle! The shuttle to go to the beach is at an inconvenient time (They leave at 10:30 am and come back at 3 pm I think...) Also, there is only one restaurant at the resort and it's a small grill, nothing fancy. It is far to walk to Port Lacuya (about 30 minutes walk), you are better off taking a cab. The cab rides were cheap but I still consider taking a cab to be inconvenient when we were going out...

Port Lacuya was fun and the restaurants were good in general. We both thought that there is not much to do on the Grand bahamas island. A hurricane had destroyed the International Bazar so there was only Port Lacuya. The shops were ok but eventually they all look the same to us...

Overall, we loved the diving at the resort but we would not go back to the Ocean Reef for 2 main reasons.

First, there is nothing to do on or around the resort. You always have to walk or take a cab.

Second, the island is kind of boring, there is not much to do...

I hope this review will help someone. If you are a diver, I think it's a great place, if you are a beach person, stay away!

• Liked — The dive shop on the premises
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

Our family of four (husband, wife and two teenagers) just returned from a weeks stay at the Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. We enjoyed our vacation very much. This is not a gold crown resort--it is a silver crown and lived up to that. Our two bedroom corner unit was large and nice. The master bedroom was large, with a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom, and it had a master bathroom which was small, but adequate. The second bedroom had a queen sized bed in it and was fine--nothing to write home about, but we don't go away to stay in our rooms, so we were O.K. with it. The livingroom was huge, the dining room was fine and the kitchen was a working kitchen with a counter into the dining room. There was a large patio outside the livingroom and dining room with access to a path that led directly to the marina and around the resort. The resort did not have great curb appeal, but we had no problems at all during out stay with anything. The restaurant had decent food at reasonable prices, the little shop had everything from trinkets to cold medicine. The social director was wonderful--of course you have to have guests who enjoy participating to make it fun and we did! The beaches were beautiful, the pool was clean, the scuba diving was really nice, the hot tub was really hot and always the center of activity. The Lacayan Market Place had great entertainment and restaurants and it was only a short drive away.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort? Share your experiences!