“A Good Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   48-60 Bahama Reef Blvd. | PO Box F-42695, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Burlington, North Carolina
“A Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed at the resort November 9, 2013 - November 16, 2013, along with another female friend. We had a one bedroom unit (#111) that faced the canal. The unit had recently been remodeled, and was very comfortable with one major exception. While I found the kitchen area well appointed, the sink is situated at such an ackward position that you have to stand at a weird angle to wash the dishes. I dreaded each time I had to do the dishes because I always ended up with a cramp or just discomfort afterward from the strange position. Of course, because it was the slow season, lots of repairs and upgrades were going on at the resort. The restaurant was closed, the exercise room was closed and just generally kind of quiet. That was ok with us as we were just seeking good old R & R. If you are a young person looking for a non-stop party, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you are like us, this resort is a good value and you won't be disappointed. We found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating, and it was nice having the shuttle to take us to the beach, etc. After being there a couple of days, we took Hayward Forbes of Grand Bahama Taxi up on offers to show us the island. Wow, what a treat! Hayward was the most gracious and knowledgeable gentleman, and a great host. He took us to other beaches that were far better than the one that the resort shuttle takes you to, as well as a few nice local eateries. I can truly say that Hayward was the icing on the cake!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Judy J,

Thank you for your review of our resort. In the future if there is ever an issue with your accommodations just simply stop by the front desk and we will be more that happy to assist.

We look forward to your next visit. The beaches are waiting!

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been to the resort many times. The remodeling and improvements are moving along nicely. Esther's pool bar and grill has always been a favorite for breakfast or a home made burger. There is almost always something to do at the resort, i.e bingo, dance lessons, Monday Madness party. The staff is wonderful and it is a very relaxing resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear im4uf,

Thank you for all of your visits to Ocean Reef. You will be happy to know that we have just updated our activities at the resort and have made some exciting and fun filled additions.

We look forward to your return trip!

Collge Park, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

When I close my eyes and dream of a vacation I see the estate across the canal from my favorite unit. I smell Esther's warm breads, and remember the best hamburger on the island with fresh cut fries. This is the place I can totally relax and as everyone says, the staff is great. This is a family owned resort not a massive complex with thousands of guests. In the first few days you will probably say Hi to almost everyone staying there. In the evenings when folks take a stroll around the resort they will pass me sitting on the patio and we will start up a conversation and share a drink. The units are apportioned adequately, some newer than others but still maintained well. If something is wrong you only need to tell the main office and it will be corrected. You need to remember that this is NOT a five star or even a four star Stateside Hotel, it is a beautiful vacation spot on an island and things get done when they get done. If you are not expecting everything to be 100% perfect, you will have a wonderful time. It is a time share and having the benefit of a full kitchen in each unit is a plus, but don't expect salt and pepper or coffee filters to be provided unless the last guest left some and the maids didn't take them.

Room Tip: The villas offer more opportunity
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ssroc47,

Thank you for such a descriptive review. The Esther's pool bar is a delight. If ever you find your unit lacking in any way please let us know. We do provide coffee filters, salt and pepper. I apologize for the over sight.
The team here at Ocean Reef want to know that each guest enjoys their Ocean Reef experience. We hope your next visit is in the near future.

Queen Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Fortunately, I did not read previous reviews or I would have arrived with a "sour" feeling or not have stayed there at all. However, my experience was waaaay beyond my expectations.
From the time I stepped out of the van my brother-in-law rented for the five of us, I felt the staff at Ocean Reef was there to serve ME, to take care of MY needs. In other words, I felt special.
The suite was beautiful and spacious. Our third floor balcony was large (2 tables, 2 lounge chairs & 6 chairs with room to spare). The outside was well manicured, clean, and colorful (flowers). Although there was construction on the restaurant, it never was noisy, dusty, or dirty. I spoke with the construction workers some and they were very pleasant and explained what was going on. As a matter of fact, everyone there was patient with my many questions, from the housekeeps (maids) to the owner. If I tell you all the wonderful things about Ocean Reef and its employees, it will take you too long to read it all. But, when you go, be sure to take the dance lessons -- If Gregg can teach this 61 year old granny to "shake a tail feather" and glide across the dance floor, he can teach anyone! Also, Rudy with a Y, is so full of knowledge. Ask him anything. He will give you an answer. Be prepared to feel special.
Red

Room Tip: The suites face the canal which is relaxing. The bottom floor patios are not as private as the upper...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Redtripper52,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It is great that you enjoyed your Ocean Reef experience.
Keep Dancing, we look forward to your next visit!

Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here one evening at the end of a week on the beach. It is on a yacht club wharf, but no beach. The restaurant was closed but there was a great homemade fast food kiosk on the wharf called Elsie's and Elsie does the cooking! The unit was newly upgraded and very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Nice patio with each ground floor unit, overlooking the yachts at the wharf. Not a 5 star but very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rmpaul1,

Thank you for your favorable review of The Ocean Reef Resort. We are so pleased that Esther's Pool Bar rated highly with you. We hope that future would allow you to visit us again. Next time you must try Esther's fresh baked Bahamian bread.

Enon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Before I got to the resort... i read the negative reviews and was really worried...So I got there expecting the worst. The resort does need to be updated, but thankfully I was not expecting 5 star digs... we ran into a lady who has 5 weeks of time share there and absolutely love it (Thanks Jody with a Y! ) :) Beatrice is very pushy about going to the time share spiel and for using her for excursions.... we let her know that we would not be attending ( I realize it is her job, and I gues she can intimidate some, but we were not bothered) WE got to meet Hank and Dianne, FGordon, Tom and others that live there most of the year... and absolutely had a blast meeting others in the units..... ONE THING I MUST ADVISE... GET A RENTAL CAR.... it is thankfully away from the hustle and bustle... but you will need one to get around the island... I read the reviews that you must be old to like this place.. I totally disagree... I am not old and had a really good time. I also like the cats running around.... I had one that would come spend some time on my chest in the evenings.... This is not 5 star... but it is a nice place to stay! Will be back again!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Clboh,

Thank you for such a positive review of the Ocean Reef Resort. We are happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return visit.

Sharon Bain
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Pictures online were not anything like we experienced from the entrance of the building to waterfront room. Dingy, old and dilapidated structures. This want to be resort has not been repaired since the last storm (several years ago).
You get attacked and harassed by the commissioned employee of the excursions and time share relentlessly every time you walk out of your room, day or night. In the middle of nowhere. There are absolutely no amenities near by unless you get a taxi at a very unreasonable price. They provide an over crowded bus to take you to the grocery store. Beds are not what you would dream about at a resort, as a matter of fact more like your nightmares. No restaurants. The only enjoyable part of my trip was my wonderful husband with me and good friends.
I wanted to give them -----5 but unfortunately for me and fortunately for them they do not give me that option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Seaside Traveler,
It is unfortunate that the Ocean Reef Resort did not meet your expectations. Please know the comments you have outlined have been shared with out team for discussion and improvement. It is hoped that once all ongoing renovations are completed we will be given an opportunity to serve you again.
Sharon Bain

Been to Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort? Share your experiences!