“Ocean Reef” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

You added Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   48-60 Bahama Reef Blvd. | PO Box F-42695, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Dade City
“Ocean Reef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed for two weeks and really enjoyed our stay. The crached conch at the on-site resturant was great - all four times I had it. The staff at the condo are very nice and helpful and the shopping was within our walking distance (about 1 1/2 miles) so shopping and other places to eat were close at hand. We felt very safe walking everywhere there and did not almost daily. Beware of the sales staff here - they are all nice and very friendly but we found they do not know their product and will tell you whatever you want to hear for a sale. We will return to this resort - do know that there is no beach on site and maybe that is why they work hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms are facing the canal so the view is serene and pretty - not much boat traffic to disturb the v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

You will need a car to get around at your own time; if not, there's a bus that leaves at certain times only on certain days OR a cab but will cost you more. No other restaurants nearby that you won't need a ride... it's ok if you want to eat at the same place every meal. If you need Internet Access... good luck. Room needs makeover. Comparing it to numerous resorts we've been to through exchanges, this is not at par. If your ultimate reason for being there is to relax, I can say you'll be fine because the area is secluded.
Now this is the WARNING I have to give... STAY AWAY FROM THE ORIENTATION, do not give in if employees from ORYC&R invites you to come - it turns into a sales presentation...they will offer you free breakfast or lunch, it is NOT WORTH it. You are subjecting yourselves to DISHONEST Sales people... who will lie to your face and give you a lot of misrepresentations. They ALL WORK TOGETHER TO GET YOU SCAMMED. If you do attend, DO NOT BELIEVE anything that anybody says that works for APEX International Marketing. STAY AWAY FROM THE OFFICE AT THE TOP of Groupers Bar. Scan through these reviews, you will find more warnings, I wished I read it beforehand too.
Contact me if you want to hear the details and if you had the same experience.
I was looking at several resorts prior to booking and I really regret to have chosen this one.
I never want to give such a rating but that's how I felt during my stay and felt after... "Terrible".

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear F R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Ocean Reef. It is is our goal to exceed customer expectation while providing exemplarily service. Regrettably, this was not your experience.
I invite you to contact me directly if you wish to discuss in detail your experience with APEX Marketing International, in order to adequately address you concerns, thus preventing any future shortcomings. I may be reached at orycguestservices@coralwave.com.

Kind regards,
Sharon Bain
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

There is absolutely nothing here to do. This is a senior citizen vacation home, for those ppl claiming it is so good here.. I guess they have never been anywhere else on vacation. I'm a frequent flyer I know better..NOT THE PLACE FOR VACATION UNLESS UR 90 YRS OLD!!! NOT KIDS FRIENDLY NOT EVEN ADULT FRIENDLY..

• Stayed July 2013
York, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We are owners at Ocean Reef and have visited four times usually taking friends. We stay 2 weeks. As stated in other reviews, the staff are very nice, the grounds well-kept, pools are nice, orientation is a kick, movies are great, it's well located and, since the island isn't very big, it's comfortable. We look forward to Ester's homemade breads and great breakfasts at the quiet pool grill. We enjoy watching the boats come and go in the marina, each unit has a porch or balcony. Kitchens are well equipped. You can rent a car right in the office. If you'd like a massage, the therapist will come to your room.

For those who like the casino and more action, Port Lucaya is only a few miles away. There are many beautiful beaches to explore, and wonderful restaurants. Giovanni's and Cappaccino's are two of our favorites. We discovered a nice bakery in Freeport on the main road. The resort offers many tours. We've been East, West and really like the Lucayan National Park area. Many kayak there or explore the caves.

We live in southcentral PA and Freeport is only a 2 hours flight from Philly. We also have driven to BWI and flown to Freeport with a layover in Charlotte. If you have trouble walking, I do not recommend flying into Nassau and taking the Bahamsair into Freeport. There are two terminals, one domestic and one international. You have to cart your luggage from one to the other.

We are looking forward to our next trip and seeing our friends at ORYC.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West away from the pool and marina may be quieter. Except for the mockingbird that tend...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The resort is a stand alone facility too far from the centre of activities,restaurants, shops, and watersports, etc. There is nothing close to the resort and traveling by taxi back and forth can be costly for afamily, since cab fare is charged per person. For example a family of 5 the fare was $40 round trip to Lucaya Marketplace. The resort provides a shuttle Monday thru Friday at 10am to Marketplace or beach with return pick up at 2pm which for our purposes was not enough time to do much but it could save one cab fare.
The restaurant on premise is spartan and not air conditioned.The Exchange unit we had was nice and clean, freshly painted and nicely appointed. The ac functioned well but with residual high humidity which made the ambient air feel damp cold. The staff was very courteous and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013
Indian Head, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a wonderfult vacation at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort July 19 - 26, 2013. It was time to catch up on some quaility time with friends and meet some interesting people in Freeport Bahamas. It was my first time staying in a timeshare in the Carribean and was used to all-inclusive properties. But I must say I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the 3 room - 3 bathroom condo. I had read the reviews about this property before travelling to get a few tips on what to do during our stay. I am so glad I did. Hayward came highly recommended and we immediately seeked him out wrhen were arrived. Words can not express the wonderful and professional service Hayward provided during our 7 day vacation. He was the perfect gentlemen and very knowledgeble of the history and places to visit in Freeport. He even stayed with us on several short tours and had lunch. For three ladies in Bahamas this was really important to us, because Hayward made us feel completely safe. We had grown very fond of him and have made a friend for life!! I can only hope that Ocean Reef Resort appreciates Hayward as much as we did and know they had a REAL GEM! There was no hassle, no tricks, but a real human being who cared about the importance of us have fun and enjoying the Bahamas. We will return again and I must say 90 percent of this decision is because of Hayward...not to mention that Freeport is beautiful, laid back and relaxed!!! We miss you Hayward! Yours truly 32!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oakton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here through our time share - we have been time share members for over 20 years and this was by far the Worst place we have ever stayed. I will try to summarize everything that happened.
Check-in -- it seemed like we were imposing on the ladies who checked us in - that they would rather get back to what ever they were doing on the computer before we got there. The activities desk is a joke - the lady working REALLY wants you to go to the time share presentation and wants to collect $10 from you to do so. If you have any interests outside her canned items you are out of luck. Once we clearly indicated that we did not want to attend the presentation then her helpfullness went away. When we asked for directions to the grocery store it was delivered in a mumble mumble sort of way. We had to use our phones to find the local store. When we went to our room there was a note taped to the door saying that there was going to be construction all week - nothing was mentioned when we checked in else we would have asked for a room that was not 2 doors away from the construction. They informed us that the restaurant was closing half way through the week. They also seemed upset that we got a rental car from the airport and did not need their van services.
Activities Desk continued - the lady informed me that she would not get paid if we did not attend the presentation and called our room on our last full day there (early) asking if we wanted to go to the presentation. It made for uncomfrontable situations every time we passed her.
Front Desk continued - the hours of the front desk are very restricted and everything has to go through them. If you go to the beach for the day you will not be able to contact anyone at the front desk. We asked the ladies if they could call a specific restaurant to ask their hours and we were told - "we don't know the number". You have to pay for everything at this resort -- want to print your boarding pass - that will be $3 per pass. Want to do laundry - that will be $4 per load. Want to watch a DVD - that will be $3 per movie. And all of these services are only available between 9 am and 5 pm. And if you go ask a question within 30 minutes of closing you are treated like you are bothering them. We had an early morning flight home and would be leaving the resort before the desk opened - we were initially told that we had to return our beach towels to them by 5 pm the night before we left else we would pay $15. I kindly told the lady that I was going to leave them in the room and that I would protest any fees. (we took pictures of them in the room when we left just in case!)
Resort - there is NOTHING to do on the resort except the two pools. The fitness center was closed. The spa was closed (and looked really sketchy from the outside). The bikes you could rent were rusty and had flat tires. This is not a resort - this is a hotel - nothing more. If you were at one of the two pools all you heard were the time share sales going on - amazingly those guests were served beverages from the closed restaurant! You as a guest of the hotel were not supposed to bring your own beverages to the pool but there was no way you could get a beverage.
Rooms - slightly dated - clean - paper thin walls - I mean paper thin - I could hear the TV from my neighbor and could follow the show. Rooms were a good size. There were 4 of everything in our room -- nothing more. Want a blender - that will be a $15 deposit, Want a DVR machine - that will be a $55 deposit. But you can't decide at 5:05 pm one evening that you want either of those items because the front desk is closed. It did have a hair dryer in the unit. The air conditioners are on the balconies - which means that when you are sitting on the balcony you get the wonderful ambience of the air conditioner unit RIGHT next to you. And the balcony light comes on at dark and stays on all night - you can't turn it off. For the person sleeping on the pull out sofa - you have to close the blinds and you can't sit out at night and look at the stars etc - the lights attract bugs so it is not pleasant after they come on.
Did I mention that you pay an electricity surcharge?
I could keep going until I exceed the Trip-Advisor maximum - in summary do not stay at this place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort? Share your experiences!