“We'll Be Back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

You added Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   48-60 Bahama Reef Blvd. | PO Box F-42695, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Dallas, Texas
“We'll Be Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Ocean Reef Resort & Yacht Club is an excellent place to stay. It is conveniently located, clean and the hospitality from Nina and her staff is superb. They have two pools and activities on site. Everyone was most courteous and food was excellent. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank You! We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I travel internationally on a regular basis and have for years. This is the worst place we have stayed. I have never written a review online before but have to after our one week stay at Ocean Reef. The staff is nice however will take advantage in an extreme way financially. The "shuttle service" is a rip off. They quote everyone a different price based on what they think you will pay. Once they discover you are willing to ride the City bus; the rates get chopped by a fraction of the price. The TV was cut off every single night with a message that covered the screen saying the bill needed to be paid to continue service. There was one restaurant on site that was open daily, we were very disappointed that they did not offer fresh fish, only fried food. We were offered a "complimentary" breakfast at the other restaurant on site that was only open 3 of the 7 days we stayed there. After we had our breakfast, which was surprisingly good, we presented the "tickets" we were given. The "owner of the restaurant" said she didn't know what we were talking about and charged us full price. We went back to the front desk to let them know of the "confusion" when we were told we misunderstood, it was free LUNCH at a DIFFERENT restaurant on site that we didn't even know existed. They walked us over where we had to fill out a card and a 1 1/2 hour presentation started for timeshare. We weren't hungry, we had JUST had breakfast. We were harassed when we tried to casually leave and were told that in order to get lunch we had to stay for the 1 1/2 hour presentation which we were never told about. Regardless, we left. We did not travel to the Bahamas to sit inside and listen to a pitch about time share, especially for a free lunch on a full stomach. And we SURE as heck weren't going to purchase a timeshare after our experiences. Unfortunately, I put my email on the card as asked to "qualify" for a fun prize. My email has been overloaded with spam and hacked for the first time. I have had to change my email account which is extremely inconvenient and irritating. Grrr. On the day of check out the cleaning people were outside our door 45 minutes prior to regular checkout time with an old shopping cart of cleaning supplies hanging around looking confused. HOWEVER the people at the dive shop were very friendly despite their boat not starting on the day of our dive. They were sincerely nice however seemed to have unpredictable equipment. We spent our trip wishing we were in Florida :(

Room Tip: Read reviews and be wise. Don't make the same mistake we did. It was a waste of money and a BI...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, It is most unfortunate that you did not enjoy your Ocean Reef experience. The Shuttle provided by the Resort to the beach and the grocery store is 100% complementary. We do not offer shuttles to any other part of the island. Taxis and buses on the property are operated independently, their rates may vary.

Our guests are offered the opportunity to attend a sales presentation with a choice of either complimentary breakfast or lunch. In most cases it is made clear during sign up, that the presentation is held in the sales room. We regret all confusion. We are currently working on ensuring that all guest information disseminate by the resort is made clear. Ocean Reef Resort does not have a mailing list, nor do we offer guests email addresses to third parties. Other issues pointed out have been addressed, thank you for your time.

Once again we do regret that your stay with us was less than expected.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

You get what you pay for with Ocean Reef Resort. The townhouses aren't too bad, however, the beds are awful. They make a lot of noise, the mattresses are hard as a rock and are too low to the ground. The on site restaurant Groupers is serviceable. Try their namesake dish. Most of the staff are very polite and helpful, while others give you a dirty look if you mention you booked any activities ahead of time (they get a sales commission). That really rubbed me the wrong way. The pool and hot tub are excellent and Hayward the cab driver is awesome. The resort is a pretty good distance from the beach, but that can be a good thing if you prefer to get away from the excitement from time to time. If you are on a budget and don't mind sacrificing a little bit of luxury then this is the way to go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words.

Our sales/activities team can be a little over zealous, it is not our intention to offend. We have completed renovations to all the two bedroom suites, we are in the process of renovating all the one bedrooms. 2014 we will begin the townhouses!

It is hoped that you will have the opportunity to visit us in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I went to Freeport in April with 2 other girlfriends and the first person we see is Hayward, he greets us with a smile and hug and say's " welcome back"! he is always on time, vehicle is VERY clean.
Once we get to the resort we are greeted by Hattie with another hug and smile. We check in and the office staff are friendly but not only them but also the people that clean your rooms, the people that take care of the grounds and also the people that work Grouper Grill are all friendly.
The resort has been very accommadating and helpful in whatever you may ask of them.
The one thing that i truly appreciate is when I go out in the Bahama's I feel safe ....some of the men can come across very abrasive but if Hayward Forbes takes you out to Port Lucaya he is nothing but professional and respectful towards others and makes sure you are well taking care of!
We decided to do a tour with Hayward towards the last days of our visit and went to National Park/Gold Rock he was extremely knowledgeable and made it fun for myself, my friend and 6 others...we had so much fun hanging out with one another through out the day that we decided to get together later on that everning.
The beaches are relaxing.....the seafood is great...the gully wash and pina coladas are refreshing to drink...you have to play Dominoes....you have to dance at the Fish Fry...but the best part is meeting people from all over the world and becoming great friends with the locals.
So when you are arrive to the Bahama's make sure to have Hayward Forbes pick you up and show you around the island...and also make sure that Hattie is there to greet you and if you see those 2 people the start of your vacation then you started your vacation the Right Way!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hello. I cry to this day because, I'm back at work and wish I could turn the clocks back to redo my vacation at Ocean Reef. The last review which is by Larry, I saw him there too. I was there from May 4-11, 2013. I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in which I was upgraded too. I give a shout out to Cindy Davis for doing this. She is the operations manager and anything I asked for or needed, she was very professional. She was not bothered by anything I said. If she did, she did not show it. Her front desk staff was helpful too. This time, my husband (Andre Clark) and I just relaxed. Well he relaxed more than I did. We were there in 2010 and we became members there. I do not regret it at all. The area is just a breath taking. Our room was just off the marina which was the perfect spot. Every day, I just stood on the balcony just looking at the boats and the water. So I was with people and I was also away from people. I'm around people every day at my job so I took advantage of being alone sometimes. Their runs to the grocery store and the beach is great. I wish they could also do evening runs. I do not always like to wake up at 9:00 while on vacation to catch the shuttle at 10 a.m. I know you can catch it at 2 p.m. but then I'm in the pool. So I would love an evening run at least a couple of times during the week. I love to dance so my husband and I went to their local fish fry on Wednesdays. I even won a dance contest at the fish fry. I came in second place. The DJ was the bomb. Plus they have a Monday night madness party and got to meet lots of people. I'm a people person so meeting people was not hard for me to do. The food and the people was great. I find the prices at Port Lucaya cheaper though. I guess it's a little bit more because it's at the resort. Port Lucaya is great. There's tons of restaurants and shops so you will not be bored. I didn't have any trouble finding things I wanted to buy. I also want to give a shout out to 2 taxi drivers from the resort. Hayward Forbes and Calvin Hart. They both are reliable taxi drivers. Keep up the good work gentlemen. I felt safe on the resort at all times so it was not a problem at all. The night security person is Preston. He is wonderful and had nice conversations with him. I had nice conversations with everybody. There are days we were just joking around having fun. They could use an upgrade but heard that is starting this year and into 2014. It's a pretty resort so don't get it twisted. Don't forget about the night life at Port Lucaya on Fridays and Saturdays. You will have a ball.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at Ocean Reef. Last year we stayed in a 3-bedroom unit in a building that consists of two such units. This year we stayed in a 2-bedroom unit in the main building. Not sure if they upgraded the furniture and appliances in the last year, or if the 2-bedroom units are nicer, but the bedroom furniture seemed much nicer, and the kitchen appliances were all stainless steel. Even though we were in a unit right next to the office, it was very quiet. One thing to note - maybe it's a Bahamas thing - but they don't provide you with shampoo, just a lot of bar soap. But I anticipated it this time and brought my own shampoo. Ocean Reef has a lot of activities - a shuttle to the store on Monday, daily beach shuttles, a welcome party on Monday (that includes dinner and rum punch), karoake, dinner and a movie on Thursday night, etc. We only went to the welcome party as we were on a dive vacation (see my upcoming review of the dive shop). They also have a nice little restaurant/bar, but we went to Port Lucaya when we ate out. The only bad thing about Ocean Reef is the workout room. The equipment is so old and broken down that you're likely to hurt yourself if you even try it, particularly the treadmill and ellipticals. I'm amazed that they don't just throw this junk out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ontario canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I wish we would have booked with them in the beginning instead of Viva Fortuna. They saved our family vacation from being a disaster. Support this resort they deserve it. They go the extra mile and its very secure property. Very laid back, friendly, fun, kind and honest. They are helpful in getting you to experience the true Bahamas. They take you to the beach so you don't miss out on that part. They have a great reception, housekeeping, sales team, taxi service and management team. They are constantly improving the property and rooms. We found nothing but very nice people staying at this resort. Thanks for the best family memories Ocean Reef Resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort? Share your experiences!