“You hate to leave!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   48-60 Bahama Reef Blvd. | PO Box F-42695, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Bagdad, KY
“You hate to leave!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this resort with and friend and had a wonderful time. It's clean, convenient, and the pool is fantastic. The 2 bedroom condo has nice amenities, and having a kitchen in Freeport is a plus! We are already planning our next stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had the most amazing time at Ocean Reef on Grand Bahamas Island. We prepared for our trip in advance reading alot of reviews and had wanted to do our open water dives to become certified. We ended up diving through Viva Wyndam through no fault of Grand Bahamas Scuba just that I had booked with Viva first. Our dives were amazing but will write a separate review for them.
Ocean Reef was wonderful. Everyone was warm, polite, hospitable. The room was clean and inviting. We went to the Fish Fry on Wednesday night. The one you line up at was very good. Red Snapper deep fried as well as Conch fritters which were amazing. Get there early because there is a crazy line up. We stayed at the Fish fry and there was music and dancing. It was a very nice night.
The resort had a dinner monday night to welcome everyone. It was very good. Charles is a scream. He's very entertaining. We rented bikes and rode down to the beach several times but could have just gone on the shuttle with everyone else. They also had a shuttle to the grocery store a few times.
I liked this resort as it wasn't full of spring breakers. It was really nice. We even had the opportunity to renew our vows. At Ocean Reef you are treated like a family not just a guest. Everyone on the island was amazing. The fish fry on Tanio Beach also has a Geocache if you like searching for things. :) I wanted to look for the one at Dead Man's Reef but never made it that far.
Sparky's in Port Lucaya has 2 for 6 Kalik beer. If your looking for a good and affordable dinner one night and want some Italian hit Cappuchino's between 4-7. (I think the time is right) $10.00 for wine, bread and pasta. The Grouper Grill at the resort was very good as well and affordable. They were also very accommodating with alterations. (I wanted coleslaw instead of toast with my breakfast).
Make sure you sign up for a tour that visits Gold Rock Beach. It's amazing! We were taken out to dinner one night by a good friend to a place called Churchills. If you want a more up scale evening and wonderful dinner make it a must see.
I have read some negative reviews of Ocean Reef and I have to say they are completely contrary to what I experienced there. The staff were amazing. My husband and I wanted to renew our vows and everyone helped us pull it together. The resort was truly amazing. We will definitely be back.

I also got connected with the People to people program who helped put me in touch with the Minister. We were married on the beach in Bahamas 11 years ago by a Rev Ed Buchanan and sadly with all the assistance we received from everyone we could not seem to get in touch with him directly. So Ernestine McPhee a Freeport Primary teacher communicated with Reno Smith about performing our renewal. I had the opportunity to visit a school as I am a teacher and wanted to visit a school while I was in Freeport.

Sally the wedding planner at Ocean Reef Resort truly brought everything together for us and we are so incredibly grateful.

If your looking for a wonderful relaxing place to vacation among family and friends make this the place you go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you are looking for a place to spend at night, it will work. If you are looking for a "resort" that has amenities, keep looking. We stayed there through a promotion we received. The room was adequate but definitely not luxurious. The water sport options (kayaks, paddle boat) were run down and dirty. This is a marina so it was fun to see the boats there and talk to the people living on them. The location is a mile from the closest beach but they did have shuttles. We rented a car one day and rented a scooter another day. Lots of fun and we were able to get around. The club did have a fairly decent grill and bar. Couple nice pools and a hot tub. Those were all clean.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here through RCI Resorts and our two week stay was horrible. Arrived in room and smelled of mold (have allergies) and didn't sleep well and needed reno badly! Next day went to office to get another room and they said that there were none available - what? the place is empty, you hardly see anyone around, except people who work there. Finally got another room, with no mold but again needed reno but nothing worked properly, especially the stove. The place isn't much to look and the boardwalk by boats isn't finished, the brick wall by boardwalk needs repair and paint and the entertainment is pretty lame - nothing for kids to do. The pool is very, very small and not enough lounge chairs around it, the hot tub didn't work and the swim-up bar was always closed. The bus driver that takes you food shopping, doesn't keep his word - said he was coming to take people back to hotel at 7, 7:30 and 8. Well my mother and I and another mom/ daughter were left at supermarket, as he didn't return at 8 as stated and we waited and waited. He never showed, so we took a taxi back. Complained the next day and wanted our taxi money back ($20.00) taxi's are expensive here but didn't get a penny back and the management did nothing about it (didn't care). Then they also try sell you timeshare at their resort. We went to their seminar and they tell you all kinds of things, some of which are not true and they contradict themselves. They are not very professional as our sales rep was "hitting on" my 80+ mother and we were shocked!! They show you to rooms which are beautiful and renovated but most are not. I bought into it so as we could get a better newly renovated room (which we did), then cancelled after two days with my money back. The last week, they were hounding us as to why we cancelled and they were relentless (reminded me of a used car salesman) and even came up to our room to discuss matters. They do not want you to discuss their "sales pitch" with other guests and seemed very DESPERATE to sell units. As a designer, the kitchens and bathrooms were very dysfunctional and not well planned out (would never 'fly' here). Kitchen had only two wall outlets with microwave, coffee maker, blender and toaster all on two outlets and one very close to sink area with no CFI plug and almost falling out of wall when you pull out cord very carefully. The kitchen sinks are in the corner with cupboards above and must watch that you don't hit your head on them (no dishwashers in 1 bdrm) and two inches from stove (Yikes!). When drying dishes, rack must be put on stove top - if one washes, other dries very crowded and difficult The bathtub/shower was in the bedroom!!?? and the bathroom sink had outlet beside it that was not CFI and was very frightened of getting zapped. The only thing I can say was good were the beds - had a great sleep!! And also the boat people were very friendly - all Canadians who spend their winters on their boats which they dock there. I believe this is the resorts main supply for money, not the rooms.
I would go back to Freeport as it's very quiet and restful, but would definitely not come back here!!

Room Tip: If you need two or three bedrooms, you get the renovated rooms, very few of the one bedrooms are ren...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Clermont,Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've been going to Ocean Reef for years - The resort is not attractive, and it's probably the not the best on the island, but it's a good price, and it's functional for what we need it for.

Great location on a channel which gives quick access to the ocean. We go to Freeport for fishing & diving. In August 2012 we stayed in a 3 bedroom condo on the first floor next to the office. The year before that we stayed in a 3 bedroom townhouse on the other side of the resort. Both times we were able to access the wi-fi. It was better this year in the condo, I assume because we were closer to the guest lounge/office.

Someone below mentioned Mr.Heywood, it's actually Mr. Forbes, Heywood is his first name - regardless... He's been our cab driver for at least 20 years, and we've never had any issues with him. Two years ago his Dad picked us up on a holiday to take us to the nearest gas station so we could get some cooking oil. It was late, and he drove us all over trying to find what we needed. We've had some crazy drivers, but the Forbes have never been anything but good to us over the last 20 years.

It's not a beach resort - It's a marina. Freeport in general is a rundown place, I think people are setting their expectations a little high.

I really like ORYC, and would continue to stay there for our fishing/diving trips - I would not visit Freeport outside of these trips.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Third time in Freeport. Most likely won't return.

Although fix up attempts were apparent, place is in disrepair.
Lots of rusty things that need to be painted.
Fences that have been painted have paint slopped all around.
Landscaping not very well kept.
Foldout sofa bed was broken.
Wi-fi very iffy. Randomly would connect.
Remotely located. Not convenient to much. Taxi is $25 to most places.
Groupers Restaurant won't take credit card for less than $20 check.
Food there was ok but dinners expensive!
Esther's Restaurant had terrible service. Got coffee AFTER finishing eating.
Timeshare representative was a nuisance.
Rented bikes worked but were in rough shape.
Check-in process slow. They should have more housekeeping staff to turn units over faster on Saturdays.
One bedroom unit was plenty big. Nice balcony.
Lots of folks from Canada - all extremely pleasant.
Fish fry at Smith Point always fun.
Wouldn't recommend this "resort" to anyone for lodging. Stay in Lucaya or Taino Beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
walworh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit. I heard that the 1 or 2 bdrm. Units were in good shape. Not true with the 3 bdrm. Unit. Very rundown which made it look dirty. Coffee maker and microwave were in bad shape. Light bulbs missing or flickering. Message on TV screen every hour stating we needed to pay our bill. Hot water turned off in master bathroom because faucet continually ran. Van used for shuttle service, hot tub were not working. Waiting for parts. Used compact car to shuttle people to the beach and grocery store. Long waits. I really didn't find the people friendly. They always acted like you were bothering them with any questions. Very few activities. Really wasn't impressed. The weather was great. The pool was nice. Not crowded which was a good thing because there were only 10 lounge chairs and half of them were broken. I probably would not go back unless I was guaranteed a 1 or 2 bdrm. We traded through a timeshare and took what was available.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 3 bdrm units.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort? Share your experiences!