“Resort Okay, Beware of dishonest Sales Reps for Apex International Marketing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

You added Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   48-60 Bahama Reef Blvd. | PO Box F-42695, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Freeport
Wallaceburg, ON
“Resort Okay, Beware of dishonest Sales Reps for Apex International Marketing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We actually did not have a bad stay at ORYC. The staff was friendly, room was nice and amenities were okay. Definitely a nice place to relax. HOWEVER, at ALL costs, AVOID, DO NOT ATTEND the sales presentation on this property by the marketing team of APEX INTERNATIONAL MARKETING!! They did not mislead us, we did not misunderstand their intentions, they OUTRIGHT LIED TO US!! We did not find out about their deceit until 5 days after we got home and conveniently 4 days AFTER the opportunity to cancel our contract. As smooth as they are in the sales room they are just as good at playing dumb and trying to make it sound like we misunderstood. We have done our best to work with them to make this right but its been impossible. We refuse to pay another cent, we have filed our intentions to rescind the contract based on extreme misrepresentation of facts. One of the Sales guys even called our room one night to ask to borrow money!!

Our Apex International Marketing Scam team is....Lolita, Jewel Hana, EJ (Edgar Roberts II), Reggie and Bryant Pompey (Director of Marketing for AIM)

Our main objective now is to spare others from going through this experience. We would love to hear from other travellers who may have experienced the same thing at this resort. We have found a couple already!!

I wouldn't discourage you from staying at this resort....just STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE SALES ROOM!!
Don't hesitate to contact me for complete details of our experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SEREBJ, Marketing Agency at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your warm remarks in regard to the resort staff and the property amenities.

On behalf of Apex International Marketing I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the experience you outlined in your review. Please understand that our commitment to customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and to this end, you may rest assured knowing that a quick resolution to your situation will be found.

Based upon your city, the dates and the names of the persons you have named in your comments, we should be able to find your information in our system in order to launch and full investigation and bring proper resolution to this matter.

I think it is also important to note that over the past three years we have handled thousands of prospects and buyers at the resort with the degree of professionalism that has not only limited negative remarks being posted online but have also earned us a good reputation within our owner-base and the local business community.

I look forward to regaining your trust and confidence quickly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Oyster Bay, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This resort is nice if you want to be secluded from the town. Transportation to and from the resort is overly priced. Public transportation is cheaper if you are able to acquire public transportation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Location is terrilbe. Have to take shittle to beach. Mosquitoes and bugs plentiful. Sales reps are dishonest. Resort is run down. The sales rep used questionable methods to try to get me to buy a time share. Lolita promises money to listen to a sales tour of the resort and will take you by the grocery store to let you get groceries. Then she will keep some of the groceries in her van while helping to bring them in for you. The whole experience was bad and not worth the gifts you receive to compensate you for your time. They lie to you and tell you that they have just signed up people who had time shares at other resorts and switched. This tesort is aweful. If you want a nice beach-front resort, I suggest Island Seas Resort just around the corner.

• Stayed October 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I love it here-have been twice and plan to go several more times, including my wedding next year. It is truly like coming home-the staff and everyone know you and go out of their way to make everything great. It's not just another chain hotel or all-inclusive resort that just feels American in a foreign place-it definitely has a relaxed, Island vibe and it feels like you are experiencing a more Bahamian way of life. The accommodations and amenities are sufficient and comfortable, I've never had a problem. There are not a bunch of activities and it is off the beaten path which I like-not too commercial or "Dirty Dancing". The food was better than I remembered but still your typical hotel food. Massage at the spa was GREAT. Transportation from Hayworth is clean and efficient, best on the island. They also have bikes you can rent for $5, free for members (again not top of the line but they get you there) and most of the attractions are really not a long bike ride away. And yes, the restaurant service can be slow but it is the Caribbean-everything is slower and laid back. If you don't like that, go to another destination. If you don't want to eat there, there is everything you need to cook (and yes groceries are expensive, but again, it's an island). Bottom line: If you are looking for a cozy, authentic place to stay on Grand Bahama and you want staff who really know who you are, then come here. if you are looking for swank don't come here (although they are remodeling the rooms, I saw some this time and they look great-neutral warm colors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops etc), also if you are looking for a ton of activities and the American fast paced life, go to Florida.
Also, I like the cats a lot.

Room Tip: They seem to be renovating the one and two bedroom suites first.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is our second trip to the island and to the hotel. Last one was 5 years ago. I agree with previous reviews that the 3 and 2 bdr town houses are in deteriorated shape.
However we stayed in a 3 bdr penthouse in the main building and the stay was great.
We also enjoyed using again Fred's and Melinda diving service which is located conveniently in the compound. We find the place friendly and enjoyable.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we arrive to the resort I was so excited to finally be on a well deserved and much needed vacation. I was ready to relax and enjoy 6-7 days of my vacation. Needless to say, that ended in 10 minutes, after arriving to this property. I heard a noise that sounded like a cat. Well I look down and saw 3 very large cats, stretching and looking scary. I scream and almost passed out. The last thing I was expecting to see was large cats on a resort. The people that worked at the resort had the nerves to look at me as if I was crazy. They never tried to get the cats away. My husband had to put down the luggage and try to move the cats alone the way. I knew this was not going to be good. I have never gone to a resort and they had cats at the resort as if this was where they were supposed to be.

When we got to our 2 bedroom townhouse, there were 3 large lizards with no tails running around the room, like it was there play house. So, I scream “OMG, first cats and now 3 lizards with no tails running around the room”. So we had to moved to the next room which had the hardest bed I have ever seen in my life. It was a mattress on a wood box they built. It was so low to the ground a 2 year old baby could climb in the bed with no assistance. I called the over 2 days telling them about the lizards and cats. No one ever came over to the room to try and get the lizards out the room. Then, when I opened up the curtain, there was a big lizard with a tail curled up like a baby monkey. So I woke up the very next day, I woke up and my husband and I could not walk, we were in so much pain from that hard bed. I went straight down to the office. As soon as I got near the office all 3 cats were sitting there, as if they were supposed to be there. I complained and they moved us to the second floor in a suite.

I explained to the office manager that no one comes on vacation to be afraid to go to the pool or walked around because of cats and lizards everywhere. Once, I got off the elevator, my husband and I saw a snake and the night manager is crazy. Again, he did not try to assist with getting someone to help get the snake out if the way, he said the cats will eat the snake. He heard me screaming because I was so afraid to run left, the cats were on the left and the snake was on the right. This resort is a night mare. The night manager lives on the property and if he likes cats, he should let them stay in his 2 bedroom town house. The front office act as if the “ cat lovers”, was the one feeding the cats and they keep them coming back, but they have the cats gated in on the property as pets.”Who does that”??????? I saw the night manager every evening , talking cat food out of a plastic bad feeding those cats so much food. I thought he was going to kill them. I did not know you cats could eat so much food at one time. So, the front office already knew the manager was feeding the cats and keeping them there as pets. So the whole time I was there I had to run and stay in my room because I was afraid of all of the things going on at this resort. I contacted RCI to let them know and they told me to send in a comment card via email or snail mail. I was like.” you have got to be kidding me”. I know I am not the only one who is afraid of cats, lizards and snakes.
I know lizards are on all islands but not inside of your room running around like it’s the outside.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is our second trip to Grand Bahama Island and we stayed here at the ORYC 10 years ago. At the time, the three story condo complex was brand new. I'm not sure if they have done much maintenance since, but it is in desparate need of repaire.

If you are coming down from the US and you want to cook a few dinners, you should pack and bring your own meats. The groceries here on the island are very expensive and the meats will not be up to the standards you are used to in the US.

If you are bringing steaks, don't plan to grill them - they have some charcoal grills at the resort, but charcoal on the island is very expensive and they don't have starter fluid (that we could find).

The water supply in our condo is very slow (a trickle much of the time in the kitchen) and the hot water takes forever to get warm - I haven't gotten hot water yet.

Plan your vacation and try to rent a car. The cars available at the resort are older and not well maintained, so it might be worth the difference in price to rent from the airport. If you stay here you will need a car for everything unless you want to spend a lot for taxies.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort? Share your experiences!