“ok, but not very good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bell Channel Inn

Save Saved
You added Bell Channel Inn to your Saves list
Bell Channel Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kings Road, P.O. Box F-43817 | Lucaya, Freeport 43817, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“ok, but not very good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here for a week. The place itself is nice (big rooms, swimming pool), but it's too far away from a decent beach. Therefore you need a taxi. If you want to go shopping, a taxi again. So, we ended up renting a car. And that you should go! That way you get something out of the island. Go to Gold Rock Beach and Paradise Cove. Stop in one of the villages and buy a fresh conch salad. Be a liittle bit independent. And get ready for high prices! It's not a badi dea to bring some basic food with you if you are an independent traveller. We've been to many places around this globe, but the prices here are just enormous.
We went diving with the diving center located at the hotel. It was good, not excellent.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pier
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BellChannelInn, Public Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear bosnic_belkisa,

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you liked the hotel and your room.

Bell Channel Inn is located across the channel from Port Lucaya, the market place and are within walking distance to one of Grand Bahama's popular beaches and offer a shuttle to another beach as well. But you are right, if you are looking for a more quiet and undisturbed beach, you can only get access to these if you rent a car or go on one of the tours that we offer, as these secluded beaches (i.e. Gold Rock Beach)are located away from all the hotels. Actually, there is only 1 hotel that is closer to Gold Rock Beach than we are, and that's an all inclusive resort.

We hope to see you back again soon!

Best regards,
S. Stuart

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ocoee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bell Channel Inn on Aug 13 - 15 which was the hotel chosen as part of a 5th Avenue Vacation package. No this is not a hotel that I would have chosen; however, since it was a part of the package my husband and I decided to go with what was offered. The hotel is a much older establishment and definitely on the lower end for affordable cost, however, I must say the staff kept it clean, Genie was wonderful. She went out of her way to make sure we were informed of all the excursions, arranged for transportation and even accompanied us to the Bonfire event. the hotel was within walking distance to Port Lacaya market the main hub in Freeport. However if too hot to walk, you could catch the bus for $1.25 as opposed to a taxi for $6-$10. If you are one of those who wants all the whistles and bells that come with the 4 or 5 star hotels, the Bell Channel is not for you. If you want something on the cheaper end of the scale, friendly staff, close to Port Lacaya then give Bell Channel a try. The staff went out of their way to make our stay with them both enjoyable and pleasant.
thank you Genie for making our stay at the Bell Channel a great one.

Room Tip: Room next to the office, had a new bed with thick mattress, AC was a little noisey, but the room has...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The people were very friendly and accommodating. The prices for all the excursions were cheaper through them than any other hotel or the cruise boat we came in on. The upstairs restraint was pretty descent food (there French Toast with fresh coconut was the best meal I had my entire trip). The scuba dive people in there parking lot were really cool. It was my first dive and they made it an awesome experience and even allowed me to go on another dive because I had done so well. After the dive they even showed us around the island and took us to a local bar so we didn't have to pay a taxi. The only 2 issues were you either had to walk 15 minutes to get anywhere or pay 8 bucks for a taxi to get to the market. And the water pressure in the shower was horrible. But I really felt I got great value for my money would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed four nights in the beginning of July. Staff most helpful and went out of their way to help. Ate one night in hotel and was great. Would def go back!!!!! Have stayed at both Grand Luycan and the old Port Luycan Resort...great value. red Beards restaurant next door is fab!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Palma de Mallorca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Bell Channel Inn for about 5 nights together with my colleagues. Upon arrival we were greeted with ice cold orange water along with a BIIIG white
Bahamian smile. Instantly we all felt at home, and any request we had there after was dealt with
in a friendly manner. The rooms were large and clean, and all came with a fridge, A/C, TV, WIFI and if I remember right, a couple of hot plates, if you prefer to do your own cooking. The Balcony was large and overlooked the pool and the canal facing up towards Port Lucaya. The restaurant had a great menu and the bar was busy with Happy hour between 5 and 7pm. Next door was a popular sports bar called "Red Beard". We watched sports and had dinner there on a couple of occasions, so despite the 4-minutes drive from Port Lucaya, we never felt like being stuck at the hotel. If you SCUBA dive, there is an adjacent dive operation and boat located right on the premises. Parking was also easy. For the "75-100 $-category", I couldn't ask for anymore, in particular not considering the standards of some of the competing hotels in this price range. On a little different not, below I see a review going on about power cuts etc. First of all, we never experienced any of these, and I wouldn't hold the hotel reliable for that, as it is one of these things that just does happen in the islands. Secondly, had we had that issue, I would probably have disconnected my laptop, if it would have been a reoccurring event. The hotel's computers seemed to work alright.. So to add it all up, would I stay here again ? Absolutely, but even better with a rental car to get next-door to Port Lucaya at night.

Room Tip: I was in room C-6 and had great views straight down the canal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Delray Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel wasn't exactly what I had in mind. First off the air conditioning didn't work. It was very noisy. The power went on and off multiple times. Because of that I've lost my MacBook Pro. The unconstant electric power fried my MacBook Pro Motherboard. Which cost over $200 to repair. I'm very frustrated due to the fact they don't want to take any responsibility for that. Since it's because of their poor electric power that cause the damage. They told me to wait for the manager. But he never showed up. Typical hotel serves breakfast or some sort of meal. This one serves nothing. They only had fruit punch to drink. The water was not even purified. It tasted horrible. Because the Air conditioning didn't work. They had huge dusty fans that's very loud. Which made it hard for me to sleep. The internet wasn't constant. So it goes on and off. So they have a lot of improvements to make. I still don't know what they're going to do about my MacBook Pro.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BellChannelInn, Public Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Lipson Edmond,

Thank you for your feedback. I wish I had heard about your issues while you were here so we could have had a chance to address them immediately. Such as the air-condition which we of course fixed that same day.

Bell Channel Inn is a small privately owned 2 ½ star hotel . We do have a full service restaurant that is open from 7:30am-11pm daily, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. However we are not able to offer free breakfast, but we do offer free refreshments in the lobby and a free welcome drink when you check in - either a fruit punch or a Bahama Mama.

As for the power situation. This is an island wide issue that is out of our control. Living on an island means that we do on occasion experience power outages. This will also affect the stability of the internet. We are aware of this and do apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. When power dips occur, we will need to reset the internet, and we do this as soon as we are made aware that there is a problem. If it requires more than a reset, we will happily call our technician.

I am sorry that Bell Channel Inn was not what you had in mind, but I do hope that you will return again someday and give us another chance!

Best regards,

Susie Stuart
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you're lucky enough to book a stay when the slip is available the Bell Channel Inn can't be beat.
They have a small floating dock available for one boat up to about 25'. All of the rooms face the pool and the water with easy access for removing equipment, luggage, etc. from your boat after a
crossing from the mainland. We've stayed twice at the hotel and find the restaurant, accommodations and the friendly professional staff to our liking. For the divers, a dive shop and dive boat are on the premises. It's laid back and what you want a Bahamas vacation stay to be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bell Channel Inn? Share your experiences!