“Great Scandinavian operated hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bell Channel Inn

Save Saved
You added Bell Channel Inn to your Saves list
Bell Channel Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kings Road, P.O. Box F-43817 | Lucaya, Freeport 43817, Grand Bahama Island   |
Special Offer
15% off Fun in the Sun
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Palma de Mallorca
“Great Scandinavian operated hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Bell Channel Inn for about 5 nights together with my colleagues. Upon arrival we were greeted with ice cold orange water along with a BIIIG white
Bahamian smile. Instantly we all felt at home, and any request we had there after was dealt with
in a friendly manner. The rooms were large and clean, and all came with a fridge, A/C, TV, WIFI and if I remember right, a couple of hot plates, if you prefer to do your own cooking. The Balcony was large and overlooked the pool and the canal facing up towards Port Lucaya. The restaurant had a great menu and the bar was busy with Happy hour between 5 and 7pm. Next door was a popular sports bar called "Red Beard". We watched sports and had dinner there on a couple of occasions, so despite the 4-minutes drive from Port Lucaya, we never felt like being stuck at the hotel. If you SCUBA dive, there is an adjacent dive operation and boat located right on the premises. Parking was also easy. For the "75-100 $-category", I couldn't ask for anymore, in particular not considering the standards of some of the competing hotels in this price range. On a little different not, below I see a review going on about power cuts etc. First of all, we never experienced any of these, and I wouldn't hold the hotel reliable for that, as it is one of these things that just does happen in the islands. Secondly, had we had that issue, I would probably have disconnected my laptop, if it would have been a reoccurring event. The hotel's computers seemed to work alright.. So to add it all up, would I stay here again ? Absolutely, but even better with a rental car to get next-door to Port Lucaya at night.

Room Tip: I was in room C-6 and had great views straight down the canal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Delray Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel wasn't exactly what I had in mind. First off the air conditioning didn't work. It was very noisy. The power went on and off multiple times. Because of that I've lost my MacBook Pro. The unconstant electric power fried my MacBook Pro Motherboard. Which cost over $200 to repair. I'm very frustrated due to the fact they don't want to take any responsibility for that. Since it's because of their poor electric power that cause the damage. They told me to wait for the manager. But he never showed up. Typical hotel serves breakfast or some sort of meal. This one serves nothing. They only had fruit punch to drink. The water was not even purified. It tasted horrible. Because the Air conditioning didn't work. They had huge dusty fans that's very loud. Which made it hard for me to sleep. The internet wasn't constant. So it goes on and off. So they have a lot of improvements to make. I still don't know what they're going to do about my MacBook Pro.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BellChannelInn, Public Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Lipson Edmond,

Thank you for your feedback. I wish I had heard about your issues while you were here so we could have had a chance to address them immediately. Such as the air-condition which we of course fixed that same day.

Bell Channel Inn is a small privately owned 2 ½ star hotel . We do have a full service restaurant that is open from 7:30am-11pm daily, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. However we are not able to offer free breakfast, but we do offer free refreshments in the lobby and a free welcome drink when you check in - either a fruit punch or a Bahama Mama.

As for the power situation. This is an island wide issue that is out of our control. Living on an island means that we do on occasion experience power outages. This will also affect the stability of the internet. We are aware of this and do apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. When power dips occur, we will need to reset the internet, and we do this as soon as we are made aware that there is a problem. If it requires more than a reset, we will happily call our technician.

I am sorry that Bell Channel Inn was not what you had in mind, but I do hope that you will return again someday and give us another chance!

Best regards,

Susie Stuart
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you're lucky enough to book a stay when the slip is available the Bell Channel Inn can't be beat.
They have a small floating dock available for one boat up to about 25'. All of the rooms face the pool and the water with easy access for removing equipment, luggage, etc. from your boat after a
crossing from the mainland. We've stayed twice at the hotel and find the restaurant, accommodations and the friendly professional staff to our liking. For the divers, a dive shop and dive boat are on the premises. It's laid back and what you want a Bahamas vacation stay to be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

This place was so much more than I expected. The rooms were much bigger than many hotels I have been in. They treat you like family and are happy to give you whatever you need. Genie was the best part of the whole place. She gave us so much information and answered any of the questions we had. She also booked our tours and arranged transportation for us. I highly recommend staying here

• Stayed April 2013
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Staying at the Bell Channel Inn was the best choice we made. Our travel advisor tried to get us to "upgrade" to an all inclusive resort in which I am very happy I didn't choose the upgrade. The Bell channel was a quaint boutique hotel with a very friendly staff - especially Genie, Lizbeth, and Clo. The hotel was clean and perfect for what we were looking for. We came down to Freeport for diving and the hotel was ideal for it. Our back sliding doors lead us right by the dock for the dive boat. The dive operation (Caribbean Divers) was amazing thanks to Presley and Jerry. They were very knowledgeable and safe - not "commercialized" at all! They gave you very intamate dives, saw all the best locations and most of all they were safe and trusting. Caribbean Divers far exceeded my expectations. The dive and hotel staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great trip.

The food in the Upstairs resturant was affordable and great with nice size portions. Service was also great. The hotel was a short walk from Port Lucaya and a short cab ride to the International Bizarre. However it was away from the touristy hustle and bustle which made it peaceful and relaxing. Hotel staff was able to direct you to local places to get an authentic experience for an affordable price.

Highly recommend this place and will be visiting again!

Room Tip: If you are diving, take a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my first trip to the Bahamas and his first trip to Freeport and our stay was excellent and the staff made us feel more at home than any other vacation that we have ever taken!! Our agent tried so very hard to get us to change hotels to stay at an all inclusive resort and I am SOOO thankful that we decided to stay at the Bell Channel!! The Bell Channel is somewhat in the middle of everything and had we decided to stay at the resort we would have missed out on so many different levels!! One being the scenery and the extra sights that we were able to see! The Bell Channel is a very short walk to Port Lucaya Market Place and we took advantage of that just about every day! Genie was BEYOND helpful curtious! She helped us plan excursions for each day and was ready to assist us the second we got to the hotel! She and the staff at the Bell Channel were EXCELLENT! We took a tour of the resort that our agent suggested we stay at and to be completely honest I don't believe we would have had as great of a time had we chosen to stay there! The restaurant "Upstairs" was very accomodating and the food was delicious!! The cost of everything was VERY resonable! To rate this hotel from a scale of 1-10 I give an 11, but our stay truly cannot be measured by words!!! A huge thanks goes out to all of the staff and of course our new dear friend Genie! We love you!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Stuart0704, Public Relations Manager at Bell Channel Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Kristyr1,

Thank you so much for such a heartfelt review - it brought tears to my eyes!

I have of course shared your review with the staff, and you have made everyone's day!!!
As you wrote our staff works very hard to ensure that our guests have a great time when they are here, so getting a review like yours really warms our heart. It makes us want to do even more for the next guests we welcome here to Bell Channel Inn.

On behalf of our staff here at Bell Channel Inn, we want to say thank you for choosing to stay with us - we cannot wait to welcome you back one day!

Have a wonderful day and Genie sends her love! :-)

Susie Stuart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Great stay. Staff was very nice, professional and friendly. The place was very clean and close to everything. Gennie and Marcia were awesome! The rooms were comfortable and everything in working conditions.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Bell Channel Inn? Share your experiences!