I visited Freeport from Nov. 2-8 with a friend of mine. We had a blast, as the hurricane damage (minimal, by this point) seems to be keeping people away, so there are very few tourists on the island.
We stayed at the Best Western, got a $70/night rate through Orbitz (remember there is an islandwide 15% tax, so our 6-night total was about $560). You will find nowhere better for the money. It was clean, and you need card access to get just about anywhere, so it keeps out the stragglers. The pool was nice and very clean. They also have a pool bar, but I can't comment on that, because it wasn't open during our stay. They have also a free shuttle to the beach, which leaves several times a day.
Someone complained about the security "glaring" at them. However, they were nothing but friendly and helpful to us, as was the front desk.
The hotel restaurant leaves much to be desired. We ate most nights right around the corner in the Int'l Bazaar. For those who can't leave American food behind, there is a Papa John's directly across the street, and Burger King and McDonald's are a half-block away.
As far as the other reviewer complaining about "panhandlers," we encountered one single person in six nights.
All in all, we had a fantastic time. If you can deal with not staying on the beach, then I'd recommend the Best Western.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaways Resort and Suites is the closest full service hotel to the Grand Bahama Shipyard, Vopak Oil Storage Facility, The Freeport Harbor and The Grand Bahama International Airport. Freeport Town center and the Rand Memorial Hospital are within 1 mile. The Flamingo Restaurant offers mouth watering Bahamian and American dishes and sandwiches and drinks are served at the Flamingo Pool Bar. For the business traveler, we offer a complete business center, and high speed wireless internet is available FREE to all registered guests. For your next meeting or gathering, the Poinciana Boardroom can accommodate groups up to 50 persons theater style, and 35 classroom style. The Dolphin Gym provides state of the art equipment FREE to all registered guests. Guests can enjoy relaxing at large outdoor fresh water swimming pool. Tours can be booked at our Tour Desk conveniently located in our lobby. Take advantage of our FREE transportation to the William's Town Beach. Unwind with a good book in our cozy reading room. Our 24 hour front desk and security staff are always available for your assistance. Choose from 118 rooms and suites decorated in modern Caribbean flair, your choice of 1 king or 2 double beds. Our suites offer the extras of a 2nd bath, sofa bed, DVD/VCR and microwave. All rooms offer private balconies or terraces, air-conditioned, cable TV, FREE wireless internet, direct dial telephones, iron and board, blow dryer, clock radio with MP3 attachment, in-room safe, coffee maker and refrigerator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaways Resort And Suites Grand Bahama Island
- Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island Hotel Freeport
- Best Western Freeport
- Freeport Best Western
- Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island Bahamas/Freeport