“Okay Hotel in a Creepy, Dead Area” 3 of 5 stars

Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   42629 E Mall Drive, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #17 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Nassau
“Okay Hotel in a Creepy, Dead Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

For the price paid, there was nothing wrong with this hotel. The room was basic, but clean, and everything inside it worked. The WiFi was fast. Breakfast was actually quite good. But that part of town... is a ghost town.

When I went to have dinner, I walked into an empty hotel restaurant. (That's because the hotel had a total of four guests the night I stayed there.) I then walked along empty streets to a local eatery, called Sire's, which was very basic, but very good value for money.

If the area around it weren't so creepy, I'd give Castaway's a higher rating. However, given this reality, three out of five is being generous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Too Expensive, and dirty,
I usually carry an portable ultraviolet light with me and when i turned that thing-ON the towels and the bathroom floor had some much DNA that it look like a messy crime scene.
I when to eat to the Flamingo restaurant next door and took 30 min to get my breakfast and i was the only one there, i had to cancel because i was running late for work.
check out the same day and move to the Pelican Bay by the Market Much better for the same price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Natasha T, Manager at Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I would like to apologize that you felt we did not meet your standards as we aim to please all of our guest. We have done a check and noticed no complaint was filed from anyone in regards to cleanliness or any other matter in fact during the month of July. I really wished we would have been informed that way we could have looked into the matter as we at the Castaways take pride in the fact that we are indeed a very clean hotel and we would have definitely do our utmost to make you satisfied having been given the chance. We have won housekeeping awards for our cleanliness and take that very seriously.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights due to plane breaking in Freeport.

Plus:
Close to airport (less than 10 min drive)
Hotel has free wifi
AC worked well

Cons:
VERY outdated
Dirty towels in room
No restaurant in Hotel

Overall the hotel was very old and dated. The dirty towels in all my co-workers rooms as well as mine was gross.

The pool area was small but ok.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Natasha T, Manager at Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Good Day We appreciate all reviews. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay to the fullest. The Castaways Resort and Suites take pride in our customers and their concerns. If a guest has a complaint such as they dont feel the towels are clean we would love to know so that we can take care of it immediately. We do not put dirty towels in rooms and we are very sorry our towels did not meet your stamdards. We wish you give us another opportunity in the future so that we can fulfill your accomodation needs. We do have a restaurant on property THE FLAMINGO RESTAURANT that serves delicious breakfast and dinner open daily as well as a pool bar and grill.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel, both times on business. I doubt that there were more that a dozen guests on this night. The reception staff are friendly and efficient. My room was clean and comfortable. There were 2 beds, an old CRT TV and a fridge. The rooms do have a/c although I didn't need it. The bathrooms appear to have been renovated and are quite ok. Overall the room was dated but fine for my one overnight stay.
If I had booked the hotel for a vacation I guess I would have been a little disappointed, it is ok but just that. There are open but covered external walkways giving access to the rooms. Half the hotel faces the road and half a garden area at the rear although my end room had a nice view of a service yard.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have been attending meetings in the Bahamas for well over 30 years, and keep coming back to the Castaways.

The Caribbean as a whole has a laid-back, easy-going way of life, and the Bahamas is no exception. Hotels can be extremely expensive, especially from Christmas-Easter. This hotel has always been business-like, clean, and surprisingly affordable. I have stayed on this island, with some of the finest beaches and scuba diving for 30+ years.

It is not in a great location, being about 1/2 mile away from the beach, but they can get you a decent rental car deal (offsite) pretty quickly. Watch out for rental cars, which have the steering wheels on the wrong side! They drive on the left, but the cars are all made for the American market. Watch out for American tourists who are unsure where the cars should be!

The restaurant is not luxurious but food is fine, and ice-cream is wonderful!

Best weather and best value is usually Nov 1st - Dec 15th. It is too humid between Jun-Sep.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room, facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Natasha T, Front Office Manager at Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
We at the Castaways Resort and Suites thank you for taking the time to post this review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Asheville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011 via mobile

Basic interior from 1982. Room was clean and the water hot. Staff only wants you to eat at the site restaurant. Don't waste your time.

• Stayed December 2011
Sibiu, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Poor service in the restaurant-about 2 hours to get the regular dinner on my table. After my complaint to the information desk, all restaurant staff was informed about my complaint. I have been told that a manager will contact me the following day for follow up-never happened. Friends/relatives/etc came over in the restaurant to get food in the plastic bags. Poor food, different dishes for the same food , same table, etc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Castaways Resort & Suites Grand Bahama Island? Share your experiences!