“Dusty” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Bay at Lucaya

You added Pelican Bay at Lucaya to your Saves list
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sea Horse Road at Port Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Freeport
d1i2v3e4e5
“Dusty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel has a great location, although not on the beach, in the heart of Lucaya and adjacent to UNEXSO. It has nice views over the lagoon and partially to the ocean. Breakfast was good and with a new conference building it seems the hotel is suited to host business travelers.
However, the room was dusty in many areas; (having staying in one with a separate bedroom) bookshelf was very dusty, inside drawers/cabinets, especially behind the 'curtain' in the bedroom that covers the small window above the bed. Staff were friendly and generally there were no problems, however a little more cleaning effort in rooms of that price category is to be expected.
This hotel is recommendable on the whole as it does offer a Bahamian feel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Oakland, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from annual (7th!!) trip to Pelican Bay Hotel, Freeport-Lucaya, Bahamas. We spent 10 wonderful days at what has become our "Bahamian home away from home". Each year we enjoy ourselves even more than the last!
The "Staterooms" (suites) are large and comfortable with a separate bedroom. Our favorite rooms are on the 3rd or 4th floor ...best views of Bell Channel Bay from your balcony! There are elevators in all the buildings and ice machines are located next to them on two floors. There is a very comfortable king bed and tv in the bedroom (also a safe for your valuables). The bathroom is large with 2 sinks and a "rainfall" shower head-love that!! We highly suggest you stay in a suite! Fridge, coffee maker, Nespresso machine, sink, and microwave are located in the "kitchen" with plates, glasses and mugs provided. I ask for a couple of wine glasses and utensils to be placed there also. The living room has a sofa and chair, large coffee table and Bahamian artwork on the walls. WiFi is available for an extra charge. Each private balcony has 2 Adirondack chairs with an impressive view of Bell Channel Bay and stunning sunrises! Early each morning a basket with some danish/ sweet rolls/ fresh fruit, etc. is delivered to the box in your door, as well as a condensed version of that mornings' New York Times. You should check to see if the breakfast buffet in the Canal House is included. Typical hot breakfast items, as well as pastries, cereals, fresh fruits, etc. are offered. As it is included in the "Bonefishing Package" (contact H20bonefishing.com for info.), we took advantage of it every morning. Keva took good care of us as our server most mornings. We always left a few dollars extra tip. :) Note that there are quite a few places in the Marketplace that serve full breakfast.
After the always pleasant check in (shout out to the Front Desk staff--especially Adrian, Norma & Salario), we take a wander over to the Marketplace (a couple of minutes walk) and get wine, beer, water, snacks and of course, stop at the Conch Man for fresh- made conch salad!
If my husband was fishing for the day...I would decide if I wanted to take the 5 minute ferry (no charge to PB guests) to Taino Beach Resort (guests of Pelican Bay have use of the beautiful beach, chairs, fabulous pool with swim up bar...etc.) Yes, you can walk across the street to the beach at Grand Lucayan but, you have to pay to use a chair or the pool. There is no shade whatsoever on that beach so...why go there? Some days I would just grab a chaise by the "main" pool (overlooking the marina) and spend the whole day there! There are 3 pools, each with a different view.
With the Marketplace so close, I might first wander over to the shops (clothing, jewelry, gifts-- duty-free) or to the stalls with handmade Bahamian goods and gifts before hitting the beach or pool.
There are many restaurants in the Marketplace offering everything from Bahamian to Irish to Latin-fusion to Italian. We have a good time walking through and deciding where to have dinner each night. We celebrated our wedding anniversary at Luciano's, sitting outside on the 2nd floor overlooking the marina and watched the beautiful sunset! Some places do prefer a reservation....the front desk staff will be happy to make them for you. Onsite at Pelican Bay, right at the main pool area is one of our favorites, Sabor. Open-air, great food, friendly staff--we had dinner there at least 4 nights this visit. The bar is open all day, and they have a happy hour from 5 to 7. LOVE the Bahama Mama's!!! Also, "Flying Fish" (the #1 rated restaurant on Grand Bahama Island) is located on the property right on Bell Channel Bay. Somehow, we ran out of nights and did not have dinner there. But everyone raves about it. We will definitely get there next year!! One important note: 18% gratuity is added to every check at all restaurants and/or bars. If service is extra good, we leave a bit more.
With a break in the middle from fishing, my husband and I took a day trip with our go-to taxi guy, Adrian Martin (amtransportation@hotmail.com), to the East End. We stopped at Lucayan National Park (Gold Rocks Beach is gorgeous), and the Caves, saw the settlements (villages) scattered along the way, and had a great Bahamian lunch at Doris'. It was nice to see that part of Grand Bahama. Next year we'll head to the West End!
All in all, we had a wonderful time. My husband caught fish and the weather was the best ever! We could not ask for a better place to go and relax! So much so that.... no sooner did we get home...we wanted to turn around and go back. We hope to return in the late fall for a short stay...then plan for our "annual" May visit in '14.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor (Room #'s 332 or 334, 432 or 434)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for a short business trip. It I rated by this site as #2. It is like a two star hotel in America. It was not cheep but pricy at over 150.00 per night on a Monday. Nothing special about this room. Few guests were staying here. I selected this place because it showed pictures of a lap pool and a fitness center. After checking in I could not find either. I asked and was told there was none. Later I found out from another staff when pressed, that the gym and lap pool was located at a nearby resort and for an additional fee I could probably use it. I never went to the other hotel to check this out. This place is over rated so don't expect anything nice. They don't have all of the facilities claimed.
There was also dirt in the corners where it is hard to mop or sweep floors. I'm talking about caked an loose dirt. It did not make me feel very comfortable. The TV's are old tube style 19 inch size. I had one of those in my bedroom in the 80's.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PelicanBayHotel, Operations manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Zumachris,

Although your review is somewhat confusing, we thank you for shedding light on a concern we need to address. Our hotel has not authorized any use of false advertisement of amenities offered by our hotel. Our own website does not promote a lap pool or a fitness facility so I apologize if you received this information from a site that we have no control over. Please let us know where you received this information.

Our property while unique in itself by our position and location has a lovely charm about it that past and repeat guest have enjoyed and we apologize that it was not to your expectation. We will certainly use your critique in our internal processes as a way to be better in our guest amenities and experiences.

We have began upgrades to flat screen televisions, however mainly in the waterside staterooms at the moment. We hope to continue this process throughout the remainder of the year, but it is an initiative that has started.

Cleanliness of rooms is a top priority in our hotel and usually not an issue as we take pride in ensuring that rooms are at a acceptable standard. We will be certainly to share this with our team to reinforce our expectations.

We are grateful for your review and we certainly receive it with open arms. We hope that your experience on Grand Bahama was still a great one. We hope that you give us another opportunity to wow you should you visit Grand Bahama again in the future.

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager
Hunterdon County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

After initially booking a trip to a hotel in the same city that was much less than we had anticipated, and staying less than 24 hours, we packed up and left and found Pelican Bay.

It was a lovely hotel with pretty grounds, 3 pools, and a single restaurant, along with an offering of a breakfast buffet, (at an extra charge- which we did choose, and enjoyed). We were given ferry passes to visit Taino Beach, as it's a sister hotel, and we found the beach there and the pool quite nice. We went there twice during our 6 day stay.

The proximity to the local straw market, marina and UNEXSO made it desirable for us. We walked across the street every night to enjoy the walkways at the Grand Lucayan, as there is really nowhere to walk at Pelican Bay, as there's no beach access. There is a lot of marina activity though, and that made having a piña colada at the Sabor restaurant bar visually pretty. The restaurant we ate at only once, and weren't particularly impressed. We walked into town and found great restaurants there, with a better overall value.

The room was average, the television small but had a fair amount of channel choices. The beds, I must say, were quite uncomfortable, as were the sheets. They were very rough and not conducive to good sleep.

The bathroom was basic, nothing fancy. The shower was a problem, in that it was hard to find the "perfect" temperature. It would go from cold to really hot several times during the shower. I never did find the sweet spot for the water temperature!

I can only tell you that Pelican Bay was a massive upgrade from the first hotel we chose, and we enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was a great headquarters for us going bonefishing with H2o and we enjoyed the nearby Sabor Restaurant immensely. What keeps this hotel from a better rating are a handful of small things but that end up detracting from the overall enjoyment:
* dreadfully poor lighting in the bedrooms. It wouldn't take much to fix this: ditch the decorative lamps that are worthless and add some really good lighting to make it more welcoming.
* Storage of clothes was a little awkward too -- ample closet space but shelf space was in the other room (too dark in the bedroom to find anything anyway!).
* The phone worked sporadically to the extent that we would have to go to the desk to have them "turn it onl" for whatever reason....it kept our guide from getting in touch with us in a more timely fashion.
None of these are huge deals but they do detract.
That said, the staff was wonderful -- professional and warm. We'd likely go back but I would request more light/lamps!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

IDK. I'm beginning to lose confidence in TA reviews and ratings.

I booked a last minute trip to Freeport on a whim and scouted TA for suggestions on places to stay. Coral Reef was #1 but it was completely booked, apparently, so I went with reviewers' second best - Pelican Bay I booked through their website which turned out to be a smart move as it enabled me to check out early.

There's nothing terribly wrong with Pelican Bay, and I was even upgraded to a suite since it was my first time there. It was nice, as were the staff, with a view over the bay and marina. But it just didn't feel...right. For one thing, I was hoping to wake up and be able to look out and see water in the morning, but the bedroom in the suites is in the back of the unit, windowless, very dark and somewhat gloomy.

Best to stay at the Grand Lucayan across the street, (which was #4 on TA, really?) where I got an ocean front room on the top floor, very bright, new and clean-feeling, for $30/night less and free wi-fi ($12.95/day at Pelican). Maybe it's better I stayed one night at Pelican as it gave me a deeper appreciation for what I was missing.

I'm left to wonder about some of Pelican's review(er)s and question if they looked across the street. I recall when the taxi driver brought me from the airport, wondering why I wasn't staying at the big place right on the beach. Pelican offers a free 7 minute ferry ride to Taino Beach, but across the street I can simply step out the front door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear DCTim,

We thank you for providing a review regarding your stay! What is most important to us is that you had a great experience on Grand Bahama Island.

While Pelican Bay has never marketed itself as being on the beach, we are certainly happy to ensure that guests coming to Grand Bahama have a wonderful stay and it is great that you experienced this with our neighbors across the street. We acknowledge that our hotel will not suit the needs & wants of every guest, but we strive to provide quality service and this is what the majority of our reviews express.

We apologize for any inconvenience you had in relocating and should you return to Grand Bahama Island in the future, we wish you a wonderful stay.

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My son got married in April, 2013 at Pelican Bay. It is a lovely venue for a wedding. The staff went above and beyond to make it a classy and fun affair. The food was excellent and the reception room was beautifully decorated. The hotel provides access to the beach which is across the street. The rooms are spacious, but the furnishings and bathroom fixtures are a bit dated (at least by American standards). There are beautiful views from each room. There is some shopping and good restaurants within walking distance: try Zorba's for breakfast and the Flying Fish for fantastic seafood. You will enjoy this venue!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End
4.0 of 5 stars 337 reviews

Been to Pelican Bay at Lucaya? Share your experiences!