“Two Stars at Best. Four Star Price.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Bay at Lucaya

Save Saved
You added Pelican Bay at Lucaya to your Saves list
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sea Horse Road at Port Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island   |
Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in Freeport
Los Angeles, California
“Two Stars at Best. Four Star Price.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for a short business trip. It I rated by this site as #2. It is like a two star hotel in America. It was not cheep but pricy at over 150.00 per night on a Monday. Nothing special about this room. Few guests were staying here. I selected this place because it showed pictures of a lap pool and a fitness center. After checking in I could not find either. I asked and was told there was none. Later I found out from another staff when pressed, that the gym and lap pool was located at a nearby resort and for an additional fee I could probably use it. I never went to the other hotel to check this out. This place is over rated so don't expect anything nice. They don't have all of the facilities claimed.
There was also dirt in the corners where it is hard to mop or sweep floors. I'm talking about caked an loose dirt. It did not make me feel very comfortable. The TV's are old tube style 19 inch size. I had one of those in my bedroom in the 80's.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PelicanBayHotel, Operations manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Zumachris,

Although your review is somewhat confusing, we thank you for shedding light on a concern we need to address. Our hotel has not authorized any use of false advertisement of amenities offered by our hotel. Our own website does not promote a lap pool or a fitness facility so I apologize if you received this information from a site that we have no control over. Please let us know where you received this information.

Our property while unique in itself by our position and location has a lovely charm about it that past and repeat guest have enjoyed and we apologize that it was not to your expectation. We will certainly use your critique in our internal processes as a way to be better in our guest amenities and experiences.

We have began upgrades to flat screen televisions, however mainly in the waterside staterooms at the moment. We hope to continue this process throughout the remainder of the year, but it is an initiative that has started.

Cleanliness of rooms is a top priority in our hotel and usually not an issue as we take pride in ensuring that rooms are at a acceptable standard. We will be certainly to share this with our team to reinforce our expectations.

We are grateful for your review and we certainly receive it with open arms. We hope that your experience on Grand Bahama was still a great one. We hope that you give us another opportunity to wow you should you visit Grand Bahama again in the future.

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Hunterdon County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

After initially booking a trip to a hotel in the same city that was much less than we had anticipated, and staying less than 24 hours, we packed up and left and found Pelican Bay.

It was a lovely hotel with pretty grounds, 3 pools, and a single restaurant, along with an offering of a breakfast buffet, (at an extra charge- which we did choose, and enjoyed). We were given ferry passes to visit Taino Beach, as it's a sister hotel, and we found the beach there and the pool quite nice. We went there twice during our 6 day stay.

The proximity to the local straw market, marina and UNEXSO made it desirable for us. We walked across the street every night to enjoy the walkways at the Grand Lucayan, as there is really nowhere to walk at Pelican Bay, as there's no beach access. There is a lot of marina activity though, and that made having a piña colada at the Sabor restaurant bar visually pretty. The restaurant we ate at only once, and weren't particularly impressed. We walked into town and found great restaurants there, with a better overall value.

The room was average, the television small but had a fair amount of channel choices. The beds, I must say, were quite uncomfortable, as were the sheets. They were very rough and not conducive to good sleep.

The bathroom was basic, nothing fancy. The shower was a problem, in that it was hard to find the "perfect" temperature. It would go from cold to really hot several times during the shower. I never did find the sweet spot for the water temperature!

I can only tell you that Pelican Bay was a massive upgrade from the first hotel we chose, and we enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was a great headquarters for us going bonefishing with H2o and we enjoyed the nearby Sabor Restaurant immensely. What keeps this hotel from a better rating are a handful of small things but that end up detracting from the overall enjoyment:
* dreadfully poor lighting in the bedrooms. It wouldn't take much to fix this: ditch the decorative lamps that are worthless and add some really good lighting to make it more welcoming.
* Storage of clothes was a little awkward too -- ample closet space but shelf space was in the other room (too dark in the bedroom to find anything anyway!).
* The phone worked sporadically to the extent that we would have to go to the desk to have them "turn it onl" for whatever reason....it kept our guide from getting in touch with us in a more timely fashion.
None of these are huge deals but they do detract.
That said, the staff was wonderful -- professional and warm. We'd likely go back but I would request more light/lamps!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

IDK. I'm beginning to lose confidence in TA reviews and ratings.

I booked a last minute trip to Freeport on a whim and scouted TA for suggestions on places to stay. Coral Reef was #1 but it was completely booked, apparently, so I went with reviewers' second best - Pelican Bay I booked through their website which turned out to be a smart move as it enabled me to check out early.

There's nothing terribly wrong with Pelican Bay, and I was even upgraded to a suite since it was my first time there. It was nice, as were the staff, with a view over the bay and marina. But it just didn't feel...right. For one thing, I was hoping to wake up and be able to look out and see water in the morning, but the bedroom in the suites is in the back of the unit, windowless, very dark and somewhat gloomy.

Best to stay at the Grand Lucayan across the street, (which was #4 on TA, really?) where I got an ocean front room on the top floor, very bright, new and clean-feeling, for $30/night less and free wi-fi ($12.95/day at Pelican). Maybe it's better I stayed one night at Pelican as it gave me a deeper appreciation for what I was missing.

I'm left to wonder about some of Pelican's review(er)s and question if they looked across the street. I recall when the taxi driver brought me from the airport, wondering why I wasn't staying at the big place right on the beach. Pelican offers a free 7 minute ferry ride to Taino Beach, but across the street I can simply step out the front door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear DCTim,

We thank you for providing a review regarding your stay! What is most important to us is that you had a great experience on Grand Bahama Island.

While Pelican Bay has never marketed itself as being on the beach, we are certainly happy to ensure that guests coming to Grand Bahama have a wonderful stay and it is great that you experienced this with our neighbors across the street. We acknowledge that our hotel will not suit the needs & wants of every guest, but we strive to provide quality service and this is what the majority of our reviews express.

We apologize for any inconvenience you had in relocating and should you return to Grand Bahama Island in the future, we wish you a wonderful stay.

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My son got married in April, 2013 at Pelican Bay. It is a lovely venue for a wedding. The staff went above and beyond to make it a classy and fun affair. The food was excellent and the reception room was beautifully decorated. The hotel provides access to the beach which is across the street. The rooms are spacious, but the furnishings and bathroom fixtures are a bit dated (at least by American standards). There are beautiful views from each room. There is some shopping and good restaurants within walking distance: try Zorba's for breakfast and the Flying Fish for fantastic seafood. You will enjoy this venue!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beaverdam, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and the staff is peerless. We spent five days here. The location is adjacent to the Port Lucaya Marketplace, a mixed blessing. Once you walk it and shop it, there is no reason to go back. On the positive side, it is also next to UNEXSO, a mecca for reef divers.

The rooms are large and airy and spotlessly clean. The only down side of the room was the bathroom could use an update but I don't spend a lot of time in there anyway. I also did not like the mattress but that may be personal preference. The excellent and cheerful staff makes up for any shortcomings.

A car makes the difference. We explored from one end of the island to the other. The beaches and small towns are well worth experiencing. We found that Bahamians are friendly and outgoing everywhere, not just in the tourist areas.

The downside of the trip was the food. While there is plenty of fresh seafood, we found that the Bahamians don't cook it very well. Most is deep fried or overcooked. There was one notable exception that we have reviewed separately.

Oh yes, one other downside but it was the luck of the draw. The weather during the week we were there was terrible. It was warm but the winds remained high enough for three days so that no boats were going out. No fishing, no snorkling, no boat tours; Bummer.

But, this review is of the Pelican Bay hotel. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a water view room.