After initially booking a trip to a hotel in the same city that was much less than we had anticipated, and staying less than 24 hours, we packed up and left and found Pelican Bay.
It was a lovely hotel with pretty grounds, 3 pools, and a single restaurant, along with an offering of a breakfast buffet, (at an extra charge- which we did choose, and enjoyed). We were given ferry passes to visit Taino Beach, as it's a sister hotel, and we found the beach there and the pool quite nice. We went there twice during our 6 day stay.
The proximity to the local straw market, marina and UNEXSO made it desirable for us. We walked across the street every night to enjoy the walkways at the Grand Lucayan, as there is really nowhere to walk at Pelican Bay, as there's no beach access. There is a lot of marina activity though, and that made having a piña colada at the Sabor restaurant bar visually pretty. The restaurant we ate at only once, and weren't particularly impressed. We walked into town and found great restaurants there, with a better overall value.
The room was average, the television small but had a fair amount of channel choices. The beds, I must say, were quite uncomfortable, as were the sheets. They were very rough and not conducive to good sleep.
The bathroom was basic, nothing fancy. The shower was a problem, in that it was hard to find the "perfect" temperature. It would go from cold to really hot several times during the shower. I never did find the sweet spot for the water temperature!
I can only tell you that Pelican Bay was a massive upgrade from the first hotel we chose, and we enjoyed our time there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island