IDK. I'm beginning to lose confidence in TA reviews and ratings.
I booked a last minute trip to Freeport on a whim and scouted TA for suggestions on places to stay. Coral Reef was #1 but it was completely booked, apparently, so I went with reviewers' second best - Pelican Bay I booked through their website which turned out to be a smart move as it enabled me to check out early.
There's nothing terribly wrong with Pelican Bay, and I was even upgraded to a suite since it was my first time there. It was nice, as were the staff, with a view over the bay and marina. But it just didn't feel...right. For one thing, I was hoping to wake up and be able to look out and see water in the morning, but the bedroom in the suites is in the back of the unit, windowless, very dark and somewhat gloomy.
Best to stay at the Grand Lucayan across the street, (which was #4 on TA, really?) where I got an ocean front room on the top floor, very bright, new and clean-feeling, for $30/night less and free wi-fi ($12.95/day at Pelican). Maybe it's better I stayed one night at Pelican as it gave me a deeper appreciation for what I was missing.
I'm left to wonder about some of Pelican's review(er)s and question if they looked across the street. I recall when the taxi driver brought me from the airport, wondering why I wasn't staying at the big place right on the beach. Pelican offers a free 7 minute ferry ride to Taino Beach, but across the street I can simply step out the front door.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Tingo, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island