“The Second Time Around” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Westport, Connecticut
“The Second Time Around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My family and I visited Atlantis twice in 2013; once in February and once in December. The first visit was as expected, the second was not. During the first trip we rented two adjoining rooms for the three of us in the Coral facility. The second time we rented a suite in the Reef. Our suite in the Reef was fraught with problems; the toilet did not work, the refrigerator did not work, the TV did not work, the lights in the bathroom did not work, and the room was not cleaned completely on any day. Often, towels were not replaced and waste baskets were not emptied. All of these defects were corrected eventually, but given the price of the suite, there should have been no defects. We were told that the toilet did not work and there were several floors in the hotel having a "problem" with toilets. So if you go, ask for a floor on which the toilets function.

Room Tip: Find another resort.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
west haven ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed at The Reef Atlantis 12/20-12/27 2013, in an Ocean Deluxe suite which was 2 rooms attached by a front hallway, 17-906 + 17-908. The reception staff were pleasant. The rooms were pretty but their attention to detail lacks...1st night in only 2 of the 5 tvs and 3 of the 7 phones worked; room 17-906 smelled very strongly of cooked meat, onion and fried food for the entire duration of the trip (coming from a vent in the ONLY closet...wanna guess what our clothes smelled like? I even had to re-wash clothes I hadn't yet worn 1/2 way through due to the stench (so even in paradise there is laundry, although there shouldn't have been!); we referred to my room as the meat locker!); 1 coffee pot was not working, towels for the rooms were hard to come by and several days no bath mats were in any of the 3 bathrooms; 1 room had no silverware at all, housekeeping was lacking not cleaning the floors well; I cut my foot on an earring they lost while in there...they completely disregard the do not disturb signs, so no nap for you! (That happened twice, one of the times my co-travelers even mentioned it to the housekeeping staff in the hall, to no avail) The patio doors were VERY hard to open and even though they came to try to fix them it was a struggle with the doors; only 1 of the 3 doors was easily opened. The only options for food at The Reef are a Starbucks in the lobby, the lobby store and the poolside restaurant which offered salads sandwiches burgers fries etc. The prices for juice and soda in the store lobby are the same as in your mini-bar, but EVERY juice in BOTH mini-bars was expired by several months; some items expired January 2013!!! The shuttles are fast and convenient never waited more than 5-6 minutes for a shuttle, and there are plenty of dining options once you hop a shuttle. On the up side, the grounds are beautiful and the beach is outstanding...but there are plenty of places in the world with beautiful beaches and grounds and Atlantis just doesn't seem like they earned their fees; the level of detail they put into building and developing this resort sadly hasn't been maintained in its running. This is not being nit-picky, its what separates a great resort from a mediocre at best resort. There is a new place Baha Mar set to open in 2014...that will either make Atlantis step up their game or fade deeper into mediocrity; I wouldn't return here.

Room Tip: Avoid room 17-906 unless you want to smell onions meat and fried food your whole stay
Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

we went as a family (10 people) on our annual trip. this resort is AMAZING. so beautiful. the reef was wonderful. the people who work there are top notch, and we were very impressed. the room was beautiful and the bathroom was to die for! bobby flay's restaurant was great too. my one beef with this destination was the prices. I realize it's an island, but 4 bucks for a bottle of water was outrageous. our group of 10 spent over 30,000 bucks, including air fare. they recommend you don't drink the water at the resort, but it's fine! I recommend ordering the deal where there are groceries delivered to your room-ie: water, fruit, etc. starbucks was the best deal for breakfast. the marketplace was the best buffet. if I had it to do over, I would purchase the meal plan.

Room Tip: ocean facing rooms are gorgeous-great views!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I booked my trip 2.5 months ago…read the reviews, looked at the different accommodation options. I knew beforehand gratuity is automatically included…I knew about all the different
"extra" charges and how much meals cost at the different restaurants. I don't understand how people book and then are "surprised". Do your research or don't complain. It is what it is. Nobody is forcing you to stay here.

Now that that's out of the way…just got back from a 7 day stay…missed Toronto's ice storm by 1 day…lucky us! Husband parked outside in Park n fly instead of inside airport underground and took him an hour to de ice the car.

Heres my travel tips if travelling with kids! Mine are 7 and 9.

If you don't have a budget, you won't have a problem.

Each pool area has a snack bar where you can get burgers, fries, hotdogs, chips etc. Starbucks @ the Reef Lobbey has quick breakfast options like bagels and croissants ($5) breakfast sandwiches, etc. Dinner @ Marketplace buffet @the Royal Towers was $180. If your kids won't eat anything other than pasta or fries not worth it.

Carmines is fantastic. They don't advertise on menu but you can get a kids size portion of pasta for $12 if they don't like what the adults order--everything is family size portions to feed 4 to 5 people-but they'll wrap it up for you to take back to room if you can't finish. Best meal we had out.

Murray's deli is great as is Marina Pizza (one slice is $7)

Did grocery order from Food2Go…it was @hotel lobby in an insulated container when we got there. Ordered 2 cases of water and a case of beer as well as healthy stuff for kids.

Mini fridge is small…keep in mind when ordering. Also the Sundry shop in lobby cells deli meat, milk, eggs, bacon, cheese, sliced bread, yogurt, ice cream, drinks, junk food etc. No need to order these. Next time I will use service to order fruits & vegetables and cases of water and beer only. Sundry shop doesn't have organic milk or eggs if this is important to you.

We were in an ocean view suite-washrooms are huge and lovely, suite was ok…sofa bed uncomfortable…tried to upgrade but nothing was available.

Laundry room on 2nd floor is big, clean and free and open 24 hours. They have maybe 10 washers and 10 dryers.

Free internet for 20 minutes in the library just as an FYI if you don't feel like dishing out $20 per day for wifi :)

And I don't know why people complained about the staff. This is my perspective…you get treated how you treat people. I didn't run into 1 rude employee. Some were friendlier than others but so what…we all have different personalities. Everyone I talked to was polite, friendly and fantastic.

One and Only Ocean Club….is part of Atlantis…very high end….ask shuttle to go there if not to eat @restaurant just to see the grounds and houses. Oprah has a home there and Jay Z and Beyonce were there a week before us. You can just go there and walk around their beautiful gardens.

Shuttles were quick and efficient…all the drivers were fabulous. A few days before we left the Reef was almost at 100percent booked….shuttles were busy…line ups everywhere. Next time I will leave a few days earlier to avoid the huge crowds.

Didn't think my review would be so long. This is what it comes down to…it is an expensive vacation…if that's going to be a problem for you, go somewhere else. A lot of high rollers and $$$$$ especially at the Reef, Cove and One and Only Ocean Club. People come here and blow hundreds of thousands of $. I'm not one of those people, but I'm just saying.

It was a great stay and I hope to go back next year.

Fort Lee, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We hated our room at The Atlantis (Royal Tower) as although a "smoke free' room, there was an overwhelming smell of stale smoke.
I visited the Cove and the front desk person suggested The Reef. The reception there was outstanding and the suite was lovely. So much nicer than the main hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at the reef in the Bahamas in a 2bdrm suite with Harnour view on the 16th floor. It was AMAZING!!! You still get to see the Ocean and the night view of illuminated Harbour at night is beautiful.
Make sure you ask for the second bedroom with 2 double beds ( better for kids or big groups)\
Everything was great, service, rooms , staff....This is the best place for groups and family!!!!
Reef is close to all the amenities and other tower....rooms are great.
We are definitely going back!!!

Room Tip: If you take a 2bdrm suite ask for the one with 2 beds in the second bdrm.
Glen Cove, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Just returned from a trip to the Atlantis. It was our 1st visit to the resort. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults 2 children ages 4 and 7. We stayed at the Reef in a Ocean View studio on the 21st floor. The view was breathtaking and the room was very clean and accomodating. Read reviews and used the foodstore2go delivery service which was an excellent decision. We purchased the meal plan but the delivery service helped fill in; soda, water, fruit and snacks. They were prompt and I was very glad I used the service. We ate breakfast at Mosaic a few times and once at The Marketplace in the Royal Towers. We preferred Mosaic which is located next door at the Cove and was much quieter. We ate dinner at Cafe Martinque, Bahamia Club, Mesa Grill and Casa D'Angelo. Cafe Martinque was by far the best of all 4 and I would suggest skipping Mesa Grill all together. All of our entrees at Mesa Grill were undercooked. Maybe they had a new chef that night...not sure what happened there. There is an age restriction (6 and over) at Cafe Martinque but after speaking to the manager we were able to eat there. In general, the food is very good at the Atlantis but be prepared to pay. We ended up spending more for the food, drinks, wifi, etc then the cost of the room. Everything carries a 15% automatic gratuity and alcoholic drinks are not included in the meal plan. The meal plan only covers breakfast and dinner. Service at all the restaurants was excellent and the staff was friendly. I also recommend making dinner reservations before you get there. We enjoyed the Cascades pool which is exclusive to only the Reef and Cove guests as well as the private beach. We never had a long wait for a shuttle...the longest wait was 5 minutes. We also preferred staying in the quiter part of the resort. There was way too many people at The Royal Towers and we didn't care for the cigarette smoke smell from the casino. The waterpark was a blast. The kids loved all the slides and The Current Ride. I arranged a town car pick up and drop off to the airport from Kings. Thank you Lamorn! He was very friendly and on time. The weather was 80 degrees everyday and the resort was pretty empty. We never had an issue finding a lounge chair by any of the pools. Overall a great vacation! One we will never forget!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Reef Atlantis? Share your experiences!