“Reef Atlantis (Atlantis Experience)” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$350 in Added Value!
Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
LA
“Reef Atlantis (Atlantis Experience)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I booked my Atlantis vacation through the Atlantis website, I checked Expedia and Travelocity also, pretty much the same. Booked Reef instead of Royal Towers because all the rooms are suite and have a small kitchenette. The booking was smooth, and you can manage your trip and modify it from the Atlantis website after the booking. I booked the thanksgiving weekend. From 22nd to 28th of 2013. Took the redye flight, so we can get there midday since we are flying from LA. We figured the kids and us can take a good sleep during the flight at night time. BTW do not take AirTran ever!!!! the most uncomfortable planes and seats I have ever experienced.

We landed in Bahamas at 2pm, the stupid customs took us almost close to 3 hours. I mean seriously!!! Everyone in line was so pissed, If you know that this is the high season and apparently the thanks giving weekend is the bustiest then at least ramp up the employee's. Specially when more then 60% of the revenue depends on tourism. Then we finally got out and I had booked a limo pick up, guess what no limo. Limo was still 30 minutes out I was told by Atlantis desk at the airport. By this time we were so tired that I said give me what ever you have, just take us to the hotel, so they gave us a SUV transport and told I would be refunded half the money for Limo,m lets see!!! We got to the Reef around 5:30pm, The property is nice. Our check in was quick also. They gave us a room on 9th floor with partial ocean view. The reef is a nice property and away from the main Royal Towers right next to the Cove Atlantis, which is there best, Reef is 2nd in luxury. The room is good size, about 550 sq ft. The room was open, but very dim lightning, the beds are ok, the room has a good size kitchenette with all the pans and utensils you need with an electric stove, microwave, dish washer and small sink and a fridge. Has the electric tea pot for hot water, coffee maker and supplies. Good size TV, the balcony is good size also. The bathroom is very nice and bright, super clean with all the amenities needed. Only complaint, its all blurred glass, from shower to the restroom. So with kids you better lock the bathroom door. Other then that the room was very nice. The walk from reef to cove and then to the royal tower is very short, about 5 minutes, these are all connected properties. Or you can take the complimentary shuttle. Which runs every 15 minutes. There is a Starbucks in Reef, Cove has the Mosaic, and sea lounge and mesa grill. The water park is amazing, walk from reef to water park is very short. There are small pools every where besides the huge water park. Each property like reef and cove have there own pools and a lagoon area. The beach water is amazing and breath taking, all blue and green, like in the pictures. I would not say much about the water park as other reviews have already covered it, its amazing!!!. The staff through out the resort is super friendly. Now lets talk about the big elephant in the room the food prices and practically everything else prices. Atlantis resort does nickle and dime you every way then can. Lets talk about the food, there are few places to eat at the resort, The Dunes, Mesa Grill, Olives, Market Place buffet, The Mosaic, Bahamian Grill, Chop Stix, So for a family of 4, it will cost you about $100-$150 for lunch and $125-$200 for the dinner at these places. Not to mention anything you buy at the stores even a coke can or water bottle is very expensive, so it can add up. For coke and water bottles, I recommend fooodstore2go.com, get the full week supply for $58, they will deliver right to your hotel room. As far as the food prices go, I was quite prepared for it after reading the reviews, plus living here in California we are used to these sort of prices. Not to mention Las Vegas and Hawaii are pretty much same sort of prices, this was a little more. So the prices did not bother me much, what bothered me was the quality of the food, it was average at best. The 2 good places that I do recommend are Mesa Grill its a Bobby Flay restaurant and The Mosaic buffet. Apparently the seafire steakhouse in marina village is very good too, we didn't get a chance to eat there.The rest are average or below average. At Chop Stix we ordered there special shrimp fried rice, the shrimps were not even de-veined properly. Very very disappointing. Wife and I are not big drinkers, but if you are then average out $350-$400 a day for food and alcoholic drinks. Or do what many others have done, do some grocery cook the breakfast yourself and eat heavy, skip lunch, or get the pizza or Quiznos from Marina Village, and eat the dinner only, or go to the down town and eat there, its cheaper. There Grouper fish is amazing at the fish fry market, about 15 minutes cab ride from the resort.

Now everything else at the resort is also expensive, like pictures, $20 a print. We did the dolphin cay experience, it was $155 per person. You would think that includes 1 or 2 pics in the package, wrong!!! ding ding ding, $70 for 5 pics. Resort souvenirs a simple key chain would cost you $8.25. Mandara Spa sucks, do not use it, things were broken and in poor condition.

However if you are that budget conscious then I suggest a better plan, stay at Hilton or Sheraton, buy a 2 day Atlantis water park pass and save on accommodations and food.

For the price you pay for the accommodations and food, I would say the resort is a little disappointing, same amount of money spent in Hawaii would get you amazing accommodations and food quality. Anyway it was an overall good experience and fun trip, so if you can spend up to $7000 then do visit Atlantis.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

824 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
swindon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

The whole Atlantis resort is beautiful we had stayed at the Dubai Atlantis last November so couldn't wait to come here! The aquarium at the Dubai property is better the water is a lot clearer and is huge with lots of amazing fish mixed together but the grounds around this hotel are better couldn't believe how huge it is.

The water park is fab spent nearly a whole day there apparently they had a thousand people there from cruise ships that day so it was busy but we didn't have to queue for long.

The room at the reef was nice very handy to have a kitchen in the room a fridge and a dishwasher as every thing on the property is so expensive! We were having dinner and taking the rest back for lunch the next day because the portions were huge so that saved us some money we were just having toast for breakfast.

A couple of things that annoy me about this hotel
*having to pay $15 to use the gym is crazy when staying at a hotel like this
*Girls get into the nightclub free but guys have to pay $25 wouldn't be bothered if you were in Vegas but we got in there stayed for two drinks and left it was full of drunk old men wearing socks and flip flops never a good look :-0 music was good but didn't want to pay again to try it another night.
*$20 a day for wifi and you couldn't pick it up in a lot of areas on the property if they want you to check in tweet and Instagram to promote the hotel they should give you free wifi.
*when we checked out of the hotel we new that we would have some taxes to pay but it worked out to $318 we could of had another night for the price of the taxes CRAZY I don't mind paying taxes and resort fees when things are included but this was a complete rip off and $12 each night to get your room cleaned surely this should be standard.

Moaning aside we loved our stay here but don't feel like we could justify paying it again being from the uk I think I would go back to the Dubai property as the flight time is half. The bathroom was gorgeous and spotlessly clean we also managed to check in earlier than 2 which was good because we had only come from cable beach where we had stayed for a few nights previously.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We started off arriving to our beautiful room and things were not perfect. Our bellman noticed the issues with us and called over to management to send housekeeping. He looked surprised that our room was not cleaned well. It was disappointing at first really, since you pay so much to stay at 5 star accommodations to find out there is a problem with cleanliness and housekeeping issues. The room needing re- vacuuming - some food was stuck and left on the floor plus a wrapper, and plastic tag from clothing. Dusting needed to be done by the King Bed shadow box pottery display - no one cleaned the dust for along time because it was super dusty up there. Plus the bathroom required more cleaning. Our bathtub had a stain and some sand in it from not being cleaned well. Also we had no cooking pans. We called down and everything was corrected and sent up to our liking! The management at the resort sent the housekeeping to re-vacuum too! After that - all was great...no more complaints or trouble.

The studio room was very nice. It had those designer high end luxury touches in the room. The room itself was a good size for a studio with a kitchenette - (not a full size kitchen). It had what we need - so it worked well for us.

The Reef Atlantis is expensive to stay at, but it is next to Atlantis Cove and shares the same beach and pools which were absolutely beautiful! Everything in Atlantis is expensive - so be prepared to spend some $. The Beach is really, really nice on this side of the Atlantis property. We all had a great time here and would go here again. Plus we had the best weather!

I highly recommend getting a room on this side of the property Atlantis Reef/Cove if staying at Atlantis. The pools were lovely too! I don't think I would want to stay on the beach on the other side of the resort - it was very different and not to my taste. The lounge chairs and pools and beach did not look as inviting to us. On the other side of the property were local vendors selling things on the beach.

The property on-site is beautiful especially walking around Atlantis and the huge water park! It is paradise island for a reason - it looked and felt like a piece of picture perfect paradise! We all loved the water park. Especially the current - the rapid (lazy river style) attraction. This goes from slow to really fast, so you have to be very careful. I fell off a few times and got a scrape on my knee. My advice is hold on tight!

We chose to stay at the Reef in this type of room because we wanted a small kitchen - due to food allergies and to save some vacation money for other things. It was handy for us to have this room feature and a good choice for us saying at the Reef Atlantis! The Reef also has 1 or 2 bedroom rooms with full kitchens - but there were none available for our stay. If you want one of those then you need to book early!

The studio room had 1 king bed and sleeper sofa, a small table and 2 chair set, ,a very large designer style bathroom with double sinks, separate shower, private water closet, and jacuzzi spa tub. In the kitchenette (mini kitchen) - compact refrigerator, 1 drawer dishwasher, flatware drawer, bar sink, microwave, and 2 burner cook top. There were some pots and pans, dishes, utensils and glassware. The basic kitchen things - nothing too fancy. This was helpful to us having this in our room - for breakfast or snacks.

The lobby area is smaller than I am used to, but it was nice. There is a Starbucks coffee shop downstairs and they have sandwiches, salads, and muffins too. No other restaurant here, however right next door at the Cove there are some restaurants and one is a buffet style restaurant and very good.

The Atlantis resort is large yet walkable. There is an internal resort shuttle bus that can take you over to the other Atlantis hotels such as Coral Tower or Royal Towers - this is where the casinos, smoke and shops are. The Coral Towers in next to the Marina, Restaurants, Deli, Pizza, and Yachts. Club Crush - is at Coral Towers and my teen daughter loved it! Get a weekly pass if you can for your stay. We went over to the Marina area several times during our stay and took the internal shuttle from the Reef or walked over. We saw the Junkinu Parade which was free and great!

We chose the Reef Atlantis because 1. location 2. kitchenette 3. no casino, 4. no smoke, 5. Quiet.

IF YOU LIKE BEACH VACATIONS, WARM WEATHER, WATER PARKS, AND RESORT STYLE ATMOSPHERE - THEN ATLANTIS IS THE PLACE TO VISIT AT LEAST ONCE!

Room Tip: Higher Floor Ocean or Pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

It's our first time in Bahamas and we had a blast. My soon to be two years old boy had too much fun. We stayed at Reef Atlantis, thanks to all the reviews from Tripadvisors. Our room was clean just like the picture they showed in their website. We had to change room because we were having a fringe issues, it was leaking. However, it was handled fast with minimal hassles. We move just next door, it has larger balcony and better view. No complaints there. Did try to ask for an upgrade but didn't work. Staffs were great and courteous. Did order some fruits and breakfast stuff from foodstore2go.com. It helps us save money on food. We went at the end of September which were the best time to go, because the resort is not busy. Great time over all, definitely worth going back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We own a unit at the Reef, so needless to say we are there often. Our last visit was the first time we tried FoodStore2Go.com. Wouldn't think about going back without using this service. The food quality was better than we normally get at the supermarket on the way in from the airport. Every item was exactly what we ordered. The bread and bagels were fresher than we get in the states. Since all rooms in the Reef have kitchen facilities, it makes sense for us to eat breakfast at our leisure, and return mid-afternoon for a light sandwich. We really enjoy the restaurants at the resort for dinner.

Room Tip: Any room listed as "ocean view" is great. Don't go too high or you miss the coziness o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Absolutely beautiful rooms and staff! We had two double beds with kitchenette overlooking the resort and beach on the 9th floor.
The sliding window from the bathroom to the bedroom always bothers me in hotels, but it was frosted, but a little awkward when sharing a room.
The Reef is more private than a lot of the other hotels, as it is "out of the way". I didn't find the walk far at all, and you could always get the mini bus. There is a private shared pool with the Cove that was almost always empty, as well as the beach.
There are no restaurants (other than a Starbucks) however only a short walk to Cove's Mesa or Mosaic, and not much further to other restaurants. Room service food was really good too.
Small shop in the foyer sold milk, bread, amenities etc. Whilst expensive (by home standards), it was still pretty hotel standard prices!
Mini bar prices were cheaper than I've seen in other places, and the sameish as restaurants (eg $6 for a beer)
Staff were amazing! So helpful and often rejected tips which (being Australian) I was always unsure about!!
Dream trip - and a dream location. Perfect hotel. I can't fault it!
For two adults and a child, with some breakfasts made by us in the room (toast etc) the total bill at the end of a 6 nights (including drinks, some kids club, and dolphin experience) was $1000. I thought this was reasonable.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad view!! But overlooking the resort, beach and pool made for a specta...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

ok i was somewhat concerned reading some of the reviews but i have to say i loved Atlantis .. we were there for a week and the weather was great except the last two days was pretty cloudy but we still went and relaxed on the beach for a few hours. If you are looking for a romantic vacation i guess October is the month to go ,, there were only five or six other couples at the beach at anytime we went there .. We did bring an electric skillet which i was happy about as the frying pan and sauce pan in the room were pretty small and the electric stove top took quite awhile to heat up. I live in California the trip took 12 hours .. i packed frozen turkey burgers from Costco in a insulated foil bag then in a portable lunch back packed with ice packs in my carryon with Tuna and ready rice, protein bars and powder ect .. turkey burgers still frozen when we unpacked at the room. Used Food2go and it was great and reasonable for water, and soda and celery .. checked in baggage was canned non stick spray and spices .. we ate out only once at Fish Fry and that was so not tasty at all i had fish and fries and mac and cheese .. my boyfriend had Shrimp with beans and rice .. he didnt even eat his and i shared my fish with him but it was so not even worth the 50.00 plus dollars .. apparently we missed the place were you could get 10 dollar plates that were yummy :( we walked back to the Hotel from there to walk off all the grease we felt like we ate :) .. anyway stopped at the grocery store got some Salad and cookies and were good to go. Love love love the Dolphin waist deep experience it was fun and informative .. we did the early bird and paid 155 for the two of us .. no it isnt buy one get one free like it is advertised but whatever we saved so much on food it was nice to do other things and not feel pinched ... we spent a day golfing .. there is a driving range which suprised my boyfriend and the course is rated as an easy course and is very beautiful as well .. the service was fantastic .. everyone was so friendly ,, hmm did notice at other hotels maybe not as attentive .. didnt want to stop personal conversations to answer questions but hey we are on vacation and no worries no rushing no problem :) The casino was nice as well ... we didnt find the walks far at all and it was nice to see the grounds and the piped in music was pretty relaxing... the gym is top notch as well cost a pretty penny but no complaints .. towels, water and fresh apples at your disposal .. shuttles run 24 hours a day and all the time .. we never waited more than 5 mins or so when we did take the shuttle .. maybe faster not loading and off loading a lot of people .. it was great .. if you dont like crowds and long waits go in October :)

Room Tip: we asked for room "as high as you can get us with an ocean view" we were on the 17th floo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Reef Atlantis? Share your experiences!