“GirlsVac” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Paradise Island
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“GirlsVac”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at The Reef Atlantis the week after Labor Day.
Arrangements need to be made in advance if you want a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, otherwise you can take a cab.
We ordered breakfast food and lunch food that we could eat in the room or on the beach from Foodstore2go. That was a great tip, and saved us a lot of money. We ordered what we wanted the day before we arrived and our order was there at the appointed time, just as we had requested. The apples, bread and milk were all fresh. A case of water was the perfect amount for the 5 night stay.
As for the duty free shopping, I saw no bargins. I was in the market for a camera and had done my homework before I left home knowing the prices and model cameras that I was interested in purchasing. They were the same price and higher than what I could buy at home. The same thing for perfume and purses. We went to John Bulls, it was a very big dissapointment.
The room was nice and spacious, with a large beautiful bathroom. It also had stove top, microwave and dishwasher and all the furnishing such as dishes and utinsels .It also has free washer and driers at your disposal. (So you can bring 1/2 the clothing)
The staff was polite and accomidating. We had a couple of problems in the room and they were quickly addressed.
I only have a few of complaints. We didn't have bath rugs on more than one occasion or have our soaps, shampoo etc resplinshed daily. There is no WiFi at the Reef, you have to go to The Cove next door and make sure to go before 4pm. Lastly, it is highly reccomend that you leave nothing of value unattended on the beach.
We had a very enjoyable trip and I would return to The Reef Atlantis. You have access to all of the Atlantis properties and a quieter condo like atmospher to come back to, when you are ready to wind down and relax .

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor over looking the entrance to the hotel. I would have prefered a view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

848 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I went for a 4 day getaway to Atlantis and stayed at the Reef. The grounds are beautiful, but I missed a Disney like attitude among the staff. Our room was spacious and had a small kitchen area. Our main goal was relaxation, so most of our time was spent pool side. We were disappointed that the adult pool, which was advertised, was only open to Reef owners. We had dinner at Nobu, Casa D' Angelo, Mesagrill and Seafire Steak House. Dinner was excellent at each place, but overpriced. Mandara spa was underwhelming at best. The first robe I was going to put on had holes in it and no belt. The attendant had showed me where to wait 10-15 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment, explaining she would take me upstairs. The amenities were not impressive and when I was ready to sit down and relax there were no seats available. I went to the front desk and was told I could take a seat in one of the chair by the hairdrying station (not relaxing). When I was finally taken upstairs I couldn't believe all the available lounge chairs. The treatment was good, but at that time I was already too worked up to fully enjoy. What topped off the experience is the staff not being able to figure out how to process all of my spa finder certificates and they wouldn't allow me to take advantage of the special they had if you had a treatment of $150 or more due to using spafinder certificates, which are supposed to be treated as cash.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our family had a great stay at the Reef Atlantis this past August. Crowds were light and the weather was great. The Atlantis complex is huge and with the Reef being located all the way to one side it can be a bit of a trek to get to some areas. We did take the shuttle to the shopping village and Coral and Beach Towers, but walking to the Cove and Royal Towers (and pretty much all of the waterpark) is an easy walk. The pools and slides were very well maintained and with the limited crowds were very enjoyable. The room at The Reef was very large with a well equipped kitchenette. We ordered food and drinks from FoodStore2go and it all arrived on schedule - definitely recommend this route to save on some meals as the food prices at Atlantis are extremely high. We've been to Disney, Vegas and other tourist meccas, but the food here was by far the priciest. We only ate 2 dinners on site and ventured to the local Fish Fry for our other 2 evening...even with the cab fare it was probably half the cost of eating on site. We had read some reviews that the beach snorkeling was "poor to nonexistent" and we found this to be very untrue. While we didn't use the Cove or Atlantis beach, the Paradise Beach (in front of the Reef) had decent shallow water snorkeling right from shore. Overall, a fantastic family resort if you plan wisely, especially in the "off season" with the lower crowds.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Private beach and pool are awesome there was no need to hunt for a beach chair. The room was comfortable enough with added convenience of a partial kitchen allowing for an occasional home cooked breakfast or lunch. A small shopping plaza is a short walking distance from the resort. The staff is very friendly staff they went above and beyond our expectations of great service. The is a Starbucks which is plus. We really had no need to venture away from the hotel and actually enjoyed waling through the ruins several times while we were there. My daughter loved the clown fish (Nemo). And my oldest daughter loved the tunnels where sharks would be swimming right above you. This place is really clean and catered to families as well as couples. Will definitely be coming back soon.

Room Tip: When viewing the ruins and aquarium be sure to visit later in the day as it tends to be crowed by th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Erial, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at the Reef One Bedroom Suites. Nice place, but it's really just like a condo. I liked the Cove much better. Rooms are Nice and Big, Bathrooms are also very Big and nice. The one bedroom has 2 baths and a full kitchen. Atlantis is very expensive.

Room Tip: Higher is better, The sea lions on the harbor side bark al night!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at The Reef August 31-September 4th. It was a dream vacation and we had no issues. Our bellman said the hotel was only at 40% capacity and you could tell. It was like we had the entire place to ourselves. We loved it! Here is a breakdown by category of our stay.

Food-
We knew food was expensive at Atlantis so we used FoodStore2go.com and had groceries delivered. Service was great and our order was delivered 15 minutes after we arrived. We ate at Carmine's the first night so we would have leftovers. Service was great and our bill for 2 people including a long island iced tea was $60. We had so many leftovers we ended up throwing some away when we left 4 days later! We also ate at Johnny Rockets for lunch and it was good. Service was slow but it was raining outside so we were in no rush.

Waterpark-
For all of the hype it gets I was a little disappointed. Wish there were more slides and not just a ton of pools. The current is an awesome ride if you like rides with inter-tubes. My husband lost his sunglasses so be sure to have straps if you wear them on the ride. Also be sure to wear water shoes. The pavement was so hot my feet were burned and I could barely walk after only 2 hours of being there.

Room-
We checked in at 3:00 and it was very smooth. Room was great, just like the pictures. It was like staying at a very nice hotel in Vegas. You just have paradise outside your door! Housekeeping was great. They even washed our dishes and put them away for us.

Beach/Pools-
The place was practically empty so you had your pick of chairs anywhere you wanted. The water was crystal clear and very calm. Staff was very friendly and helped us get our chairs set up. Having the private beach for Reef/Cove members was awesome. Such a difference from the hustle and bustle of the waterpark.

Dolphin Cay-
My husband did the deep water dolphin swim and enjoyed it. He said for the price he was happy but would not do it again. He was hoping to get to interact with the dolphins more. I observed from a small patio out front. They have a beach there but you have to pay $15 to go on it. Not worth it to us. I got good pictures and video from where I was sitting.

Internet-
Wifi is $20/day which we were not going to pay. The whole point of vacation is to leave the outside world at home! However if you need it for a few minutes you can go to the Atlantis Library. It is located in the Coral Towers and each person gets 20 minutes free per day. Perfect for a quick email to the grandparents at home to check on the kids.

Transportation-
We used Dan Knowles tours to get to and from the airport. My only complaint is that there is no sign directing you to the bus. They are located outside the airport by baggage claim. The service was good and we only waited 5 minutes. They picked us up right on time to go back to the airport.

Overall it was a great vacation for us. We are low key people and the Reef was the perfect place for us. You are far away from the crowds of Atlantis but just a short shuttle ride away if you want to explore the place. We are already planning next years trip!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Very much liked absence of crowds at the Reef. Private beach and pool with no need to hunt for a beach chair. The room was comfortable enough with added convenience of a partial kitchen allowing for an occasional home cooked breakfast or lunch. A small shopping plaza is a short walking distance from the resort. A great alternative to the Cove if you are traveling with children under 18.
Very friendly staff overall. Especially would like to mention Chris M at the front desk who was exceptional at resolving minor issues and went above and beyond our expectations of great service. He definitely added the 5th star to this review.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Reef Atlantis? Share your experiences!